PDA

View Full Version : Alternate opp. for Rivalry Round

Bunyip
1st June 2006, 02:11 PM
In today's Oz, Martin Pike suggests that Brisbane should actually play Collingwood during the Rivalry Round because of the nature of the rivalry between the two clubs over the last 5-10 years. Eddie Everywhere responded by claiming that all clubs consider Collingwood to be their traditional rivals (but that is another topic...)

Anyway, I was wondering who the Swans would play during Rivalry Round if they didn't play the Lions?

The first club that came to my mind was the Kangaroos.

Whaddya reckon?

royboy42
1st June 2006, 02:19 PM
Actually Eddie is not quite right this time (there's a surprise!) Fitzroy, who the Lion's gobbled up in the Late 90s, were Collingwood's traditional rivals for eighty years before Carlton/Coll ever reared its head!
Queen's Parade, Clifton Hill was the dividing road between Fitzroy and Collingwood whose home grounds at Brunswick St and Vic Park were only a mile or so from each other!
I remember the annual bloodbaths thru the 50s and 60s especially!! Great days!
So , maybe Lions /Collingwood does make sense!

ItsAllGoodes
1st June 2006, 02:29 PM
I would say Sydney vs Melbourne...making something of the traditional rivalry...not that we see any of that on this site...nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

573v30
1st June 2006, 02:37 PM
Maybe Swans vs. Saints, we'll keep that South Melbourne rivalry going... :D

Mike_B
1st June 2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by royboy42
Actually Eddie is not quite right this time (there's a surprise!) Fitzroy, who the Lion's gobbled up in the Late 90s, were Collingwood's traditional rivals for eighty years before Carlton/Coll ever reared its head!
Queen's Parade, Clifton Hill was the dividing road between Fitzroy and Collingwood whose home grounds at Brunswick St and Vic Park were only a mile or so from each other!
I remember the annual bloodbaths thru the 50s and 60s especially!! Great days!
So , maybe Lions /Collingwood does make sense!

It was Collingwood v Brisbane the first year of the rivalry Round (in 2003) when we played the Hawks.

Ruck'n'Roll
1st June 2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by 573v30
Maybe Swans vs. Saints, we'll keep that South Melbourne rivalry going... :D
In the days before the Saint moved to Moorabbin, our games against them were referred to as the lakeside premiershp.

cruiser
1st June 2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by 573v30
Maybe Swans vs. Saints, we'll keep that South Melbourne rivalry going... :D I think Swans v Saints too. Dogs can play Roos (western suburbs neighbours). Carlton can play Hawks because they're has-beens in common.

Pommie Swannie
1st June 2006, 07:34 PM
Definitely the Saints for me.

bloodboy
1st June 2006, 10:32 PM
Yeah - us vs. the Saints. I don't see any relevant rivalry that is currently between us and the Lions...don't know why we are currently playing against them. How many themed rounds do ya reckon the AFL will have in 5 years...all 22? What will be the next theme? The most Demographically different teams round? Who would we play??

cruiser
1st June 2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by bloodboy
What will be the next theme? The most Demographically different teams round? Who would we play?? Port.

hammo
3rd June 2006, 06:14 PM
Saints

nomae
3rd June 2006, 08:19 PM
kangaroos mainly because of the 96 grand final, the 40 point comeback by the roos back in 04 and they are usually good games... usually (early last year in canberra can be excluded from the 'good game' list)

Provost
3rd June 2006, 08:40 PM
I vote for the Aints.

NMWBloods
3rd June 2006, 09:17 PM
How do we have a traditional rivalry with StKilda?

I think the Kangaroos are a better idea.

Sanecow
3rd June 2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods

Look it up.

ItsAllGoodes
3rd June 2006, 09:55 PM

As has been said earlier...South Melbourne and StKilda used to have a rivalry stemming from the days when both clubs played at opposite ends of Albert Park

That said...I am more in favour of creating a Sydney rivalry....Brisbane works...Kangaroos sort of work but in my mind only because of the fact that we play the game in Canberra...it would feel quite that strong if we played in Melb...I think it should either be Brisbane or Melbourne...assuming Collingwood play Carlton

NMWBloods
3rd June 2006, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Look it up. Thanks for your usual helpful contribution...

NMWBloods
3rd June 2006, 10:22 PM
I had thought that was Fitzroy and the Swans from the time when I used to go, so I associate it with that. Hadn't heard of it called that for the Saints games before that I can recall.

Brisbane's merger with Fitzroy and Sydney's links with South Melbourne also add further rivalry between the two clubs. The two clubs played for the unofficial Lakeside premiership between 1970 and 1981 when Fitzroy played at the Junction Oval and South at the Lakeside Oval ? at either end of Albert Park Lake.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=feature&spg=display&articleid=194807

ItsAllGoodes
3rd June 2006, 11:45 PM
I think that Matt Burgan is wrong.

At the moment I can only find one reference...on the StKilda website

"As a young boy taken by my fanatical one-eyed Saint father to the old South Melbourne ground to see the 'Lakeside Premiership' fought and won and as usual Bob Skilton was carving us up"

That quite from a StKilda fan

http://saints.com.au/default.asp?pg=halloffameprofile&spg=display&personid=194334

NMWBloods
4th June 2006, 12:13 AM
He possibly is. I tend to associate the Junction oval with Fitzroy rather than StKilda, and maybe he is making that error too, or maybe it was called that originally for the StKilda games and then later adopted for the Fitzroy games.

swans05
4th June 2006, 12:29 AM
id say west coast obviously they play fremantle but i reckon we are building some good rivalry with them we have played 3 finals against them in the last 2 years maybe fremantles new rival could be the bye as they are evenly matched

573v30
4th June 2006, 12:34 AM
He possibly is. I tend to associate the Junction oval with Fitzroy rather than StKilda, and maybe he is making that error too, or maybe it was called that originally for the StKilda games and then later adopted for the Fitzroy games. That's right, it was St. Kilda's home ground from 1897-1984 and Fitzroy's from 1970-1984 after leaving Brunswick St. following the 1966 VFL season...

NMWBloods
4th June 2006, 01:37 AM
Yep, I know the rough dates, but I always think of it as Fitzroy's ground. Probably because we used to go there and see Fitzroy, and I played for Fitzroy Little League there too, and I associate StKilda with Moorabbin (one of the most disgusting grounds in the VFL).