PDA

View Full Version : I Feel Fine

dawson
11th June 2006, 06:09 AM
Ok we lost this game but if that was the price we had to pay for winning last year's Preliminary Final - I'll take it.

Captain
11th June 2006, 10:12 AM
Maybe so, but are you going to keep saying that forever?

cruiser
11th June 2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Captain
Maybe so, but are you going to keep saying that forever? Is your memory so short that you think he will need to?

Captain
11th June 2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by cruiser
Is your memory so short that you think he will need to? :confused:

Legs Akimbo
11th June 2006, 10:36 AM
Actually, I sort of agree. We played crap footy and lost by two points. Plenty of scope for improvement once Roos realises that Chambers is adding nothing, a few players are coasting, Leo Barry cannot play on the Gorillas, and our precision kicking game is not really going to win us many on a wet day...

Laughed, I nearly cried, when the siren went and Goddard threw his hands in the air and started looking for a fellow St Kilda player to hug, if not fellate. Such joy, relief, elation and sheer emotion for a round 11 victory.

NMWBloods
11th June 2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by dawson
Ok we lost this game but if that was the price we had to pay for winning last year's Preliminary Final - I'll take it. BUt it wasn't. It had nothing to do with last year's PF!

Jeffers1984
11th June 2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo

Laughed, I nearly cried, when the siren went and Goddard threw his hands in the air and started looking for a fellow St Kilda player to hug, if not fellate. Such joy, relief, elation and sheer emotion for a round 11 victory.
..And you don't think if we won by 2 points in tough conditions such as yesterday, our players wouldn't be doing the same??????

Legs Akimbo
11th June 2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
..And you don't think if we won by 2 points in tough conditions such as yesterday, our players wouldn't be doing the same??????

I hope not, otherwise I'll reassess my view on whether they can win the flag. Goddard's reaction was out of proportion to the significance of the win. Sure, go pat your mate on the back, whatever, but I don't like seeing players react in the way Goddard did at round eleven. St Kilda didn't play too well either and they scrapped a win. Good on em.

I am not excusing our performance. We are a better team than St Kilda and we let ourselves down last night. Bit of soul searching needed.

stellation
11th June 2006, 12:02 PM
I feel okay, but have a bit of a headache and the onset of the sniffles. I sat in Bay Hatley for about 4 hours last night.

hammo
11th June 2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
I hope not, otherwise I'll reassess my view on whether they can win the flag. Goddard's reaction was out of proportion to the significance of the win. Sure, go pat your mate on the back, whatever, but I don't like seeing players react in the way Goddard did at round eleven. St Kilda didn't play too well either and they scrapped a win. Good on em.

Did you see West Coast's reaction to their win over Geelong after coming back from 52 points down??

A good win is a good win.

I am sure there are plenty of examples where Sydney have celebrated good wins.

dawson
11th June 2006, 04:37 PM
Last year's Preliminary Final loss to us definitely affected the Saints a lot. Months after they were still having nightmares about it and wondering where it all went wrong so drastically.

So make no mistake they were looking for some token of revenge and wanted to win badly last night.

But like I said, all things being equal would trade a PF win for a Rd 11 win anyday.

We were due for a loss anyway but the wet weather didn't help things. We don't seem to be a wet weather side.

Anyhow we go to the break 7-4 with our best footy ahead of us and I'd say things are looking pretty good.

NMWBloods
11th June 2006, 04:41 PM
But like I said, all things being equal would trade a PF win for a Rd 11 win anyday. Except there is no trade...

dawson
11th June 2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Except there is no trade...

There is - that is how karma works.

What was the karma we had in our favour last year which was why we won the Grand Final?

*The umpiring in the Qualifying Final against the Eagles.
*The loss to St Kilda in the 2004 finals.
*The PF loss to Brisbane in the 2003 finals.

You think the team wins its first final in Melbourne in 70 something years and wins three finals (in the same finals series) in a row for the first time ever just by chance?

NMWBloods
11th June 2006, 05:27 PM
WTF!?!? Is this a psstake? It has nothing to do with karma!

dawson
11th June 2006, 05:29 PM

No psstake.

Take it you're not a religious person or believe in a higher being then.

OldE
11th June 2006, 05:44 PM
No psstake.

Take it you're not a religious person or believe in a higher being then.

I take it you have entirely misunderstood the concept of karma, and have rather inappropriately applied it to football.

dawson
11th June 2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by eirinn
I take it you have entirely misunderstood the concept of karma, and have rather inappropriately applied it to football.

Actually not at all.

dendol
11th June 2006, 06:57 PM
You think the team wins its first final in Melbourne in 70 something years and wins three finals (in the same finals series) in a row for the first time ever just by chance?
I had to sacrifice my pet budgie and then fast and meditate for 7 days straight for the Swans to win the flag last year.

The finals wins in Melbourne had nothing to do with the players or coach Roos. It was karma and me that did it.

NMWBloods
11th June 2006, 07:32 PM
Actually not at all. Um... yes - completely and utterly.

NMWBloods
11th June 2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by dendol
I had to sacrifice my pet budgie and then fast and meditate for 7 days straight for the Swans to win the flag last year.

The finals wins in Melbourne had nothing to do with the players or coach Roos. It was karma and me that did it. Oh bugger - are you telling me I sacrificed 3 virgins and a goat for nothing?!?

dawson
11th June 2006, 07:33 PM
Um... yes - completely and utterly.

So then we agree to disagree.

NMWBloods
11th June 2006, 07:41 PM
So then we agree to disagree. No - you simply misunderstand the concept of karma and are applying it erroneously to football.

Definition - The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny.

It doesn't mean that because we lost some earlier games, whether by poor play or poor umpiring, we were due some luck to even it all out and that's why we won later games.

Similarly, because we played better in the PF doesn't mean the world order evens things out and gives StKilda the win last night because of karma.

dawson
11th June 2006, 07:50 PM
No - you simply misunderstand the concept of karma and are applying it erroneously to football.

Definition - The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny.

It doesn't mean that because we lost some earlier games, whether by poor play or poor umpiring, we were due some luck to even it all out and that's why we won later games.

Similarly, because we played better in the PF doesn't mean the world order evens things out and gives StKilda the win last night because of karma.

How do you know things aren't meant to even out?

Many times this game is decided by the bounce of the ball and what determines that?

Big Al
11th June 2006, 08:06 PM
Oh bugger - are you telling me I sacrificed 3 virgins and a goat for nothing?!?

Bloods, where in the hell did you find 3 virgins?;)

NMWBloods
11th June 2006, 08:09 PM
How do you know things aren't meant to even out? How do you know they are?

On the basis we don't know I just assume things happen as they do. There is no evidence at all to suggest otherwise.

NMWBloods
11th June 2006, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Big Al
Bloods, where in the hell did you find 3 virgins?;) Meh - nothing to write home about. Went to the Richmond cheer squad and promised some fuglies a free carton of donuts and a philosophical discussion with Matthew Richardson.

Go Swannies
11th June 2006, 08:17 PM

Of course it doesn't. Doesn't he play for the Blues? Been injured a lot in recent years so wouldn't be much use even if he did play for us.

Big Al
11th June 2006, 08:49 PM

Many times this game is decided by the bounce of the ball and what determines that?

Bounce of the ball is determined by:

1/ Amount of force exerted to the ball
2/ The angle the ball contacts the surface
3/ Weight of the ball.
4/ Condition of the surface.

Karma doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

dawson
11th June 2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Big Al
Bounce of the ball is determined by:

1/ Amount of force exerted to the ball
2/ The angle the ball contacts the surface
3/ Weight of the ball.
4/ Condition of the surface.

Karma doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

Bounce of the ball is a metapohorical reference which is why I put it in italics.

dawson
11th June 2006, 09:10 PM
How do you know they are?

On the basis we don't know I just assume things happen as they do. There is no evidence at all to suggest otherwise.

Is life a bunch of random events or is there some reason to it all?

While we may have free choice to do as we please, does God (whatever your definition of him/her/it) not already know what we will do?

You don't think people make bets with God during and before games? "If you let us win this, then ......................."

dendol
11th June 2006, 09:17 PM
Oh bugger - are you telling me I sacrificed 3 virgins and a goat for nothing?!?
Those 3 virgins could have been put to better use!

And that goat... I've got a mate that would put that goat to good use too...

OldE
11th June 2006, 09:19 PM
:eek:

Big Al
11th June 2006, 09:24 PM
Bounce of the ball is a metapohorical reference which is why I put it in italics.

I know what "bounce of the ball"means. My point, which I admit I did not make clear, is that all events can be explained by physical factors and not by the notion that it occurred because of "Karma".

dendol
11th June 2006, 09:26 PM
If it were meant to even out, we'd have won a flag many years before 72 years. Or do you think that now because we had went so long without one, karma will dictate we win another 4 flags in the next decade?

And I didn't see you making any karma predictions about last night's 2 point loss after we won any of the finals last year.

Its very easy to apply this philosophical, religious rethoric when you look at things with the benefit of hindsight.

NMWBloods
11th June 2006, 09:28 PM
Is life a bunch of random events or is there some reason to it all? It's a bunch of events. Some of those events influence later events. As far as we know nothing is pre-determined or affected by outside influences.

While we may have free choice to do as we please, does God (whatever your definition of him/her/it) not already know what we will do? Not as far as we know.

You don't think people make bets with God during and before games? "If you let us win this, then ......................." Yes, but it doesn't mean it affects anything.

Surely you don't really think the some god sits up there and watches the football and makes a decision on who will win based on whether they lost last year or whether someone has made a bet or something equally absurd?

NMWBloods
11th June 2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by dendol
Those 3 virgins could have been put to better use! Nah - Richmond cheer squad members - this was their highest calling.

And that goat... I've got a mate that would put that goat to good use too... That does concern me, but rather the goat than the three virgins...

dawson
11th June 2006, 09:40 PM

Surely you don't really think the some god sits up there and watches the football and makes a decision on who will win based on whether they lost last year or whether someone has made a bet or something equally absurd?

I never said that - you did.

NMWBloods
11th June 2006, 09:44 PM
That's what you were implying.

Big Al
11th June 2006, 09:44 PM

Surely you don't really think the some god sits up there and watches the football and makes a decision on who will win

If that were the case then the Demons wouldn't win a game and the Saints would never lose.;)

dawson
11th June 2006, 10:05 PM
I never said that - you did.

All I was saying was that sometimes nature has a way of making things balance out. That's all.

Additionally I was saying that if winning a PF came at the cost of losing a Round 11 match the following year - I would gladly pay that price.

katie-scarlett
11th June 2006, 11:48 PM
I am not feeling fine.
Actually rather blocked up in the head and sniffly in the nose. Stupid non-roofed venue.

RE: the game.
Get over it. I would much rather think about winning against the Pies in 2 weeks.

NMWBloods
12th June 2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by katie-scarlett
RE: the game.
Get over it. There's something to "get over"?

ugg
12th June 2006, 12:14 AM
So will we lose the next match against Collingwood due to some timekeeping debacle as pay back for last year.

NMWBloods
12th June 2006, 12:24 AM
Well there's that plus the number of players going from Col,lingwood to us is greater than that going to Collingwood, so we have a net deficit there.

Also, they lost two grand finals recently and we won one, so that must be worth a few goals.

And of course there was Collis' one-finger salute to Eddie. That has to be worth something.

On this basis, I think we have no chance!!

dawson
12th June 2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by ugg
So will we lose the next match against Collingwood due to some timekeeping debacle as pay back for last year.

Definitely a concern.

Frog
12th June 2006, 02:41 AM
Well there's that plus the number of players going from Col,lingwood to us is greater than that going to Collingwood, so we have a net deficit there.

Also, they lost two grand finals recently and we won one, so that must be worth a few goals.

And of course there was Collis' one-finger salute to Eddie. That has to be worth something.

On this basis, I think we have no chance!!
Did you forget Eddie now lives in Sydney?
What odds he will have the AFL call this a Collingwood home game because of it ...
Less chance still ...

OldE
14th June 2006, 02:21 AM
http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=15079

Wow, we must have done something really bad...

Ruda Wakening
14th June 2006, 03:12 AM

You don't think people make bets with God during and before games? "If you let us win this, then ......................."

"Make me feel better and i'll never drink again."

Tuesday
14th June 2006, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by stellation
I sat in Bay Hatley for about 4 hours last night.

:( My condolences, dear Stella.

It's about time he had his own bay of one. I shall organise the lobbying committee.