PDA

View Full Version : Highest skilled?

Ajn
31st January 2003, 07:02 PM
On another link someone refered to Barry Hall and another for Jude having great passing skills. I nominate T.Kennelly as the highest skilled, with his pass to B.B.B.Hall against Carlton (Rd 2) being one of many highlights. Picking him out amongst 3 defenders.<H1>HAS TALENT! </H1>

liz
31st January 2003, 08:57 PM
Based purely on watching him last year, I honestly believe BBBBBBBH is the most skilled player on the Swans list at the moment. His strength is also an asset, but some of the opportunities he created last year were just pure genius.

Mike_B
31st January 2003, 09:35 PM
Agree there liz, some of the 20-30m bullet passes no more than waist height straight at a team mate prove that eg Rd 22 v Richmond, took a mark in the forward pocket, right on the boundary line, spun round and hit the target spot on.

CureTheSane
31st January 2003, 10:03 PM
Hall is the most skilled in what ways?
Kicking accuracy? Yes, probably
Handballing? No
Reading the play? No
Marking? No
Tackling? No
Endurance? No

He would be one of the more skilled of our players, but I think it's a big call to give him the 'most skilled' label at this stage.

liz
31st January 2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by CureTheSane
Hall is the most skilled in what ways?
Kicking accuracy? Yes, probably
Handballing? No
Reading the play? No
Marking? No
Tackling? No
Endurance? No

He would be one of the more skilled of our players, but I think it's a big call to give him the 'most skilled' label at this stage.

Kicking accuracy? Short kicks to find a player in space up forward - definitely
Handballing? Doesn't do it much so don't know
Reading the play? I'd say he's up there
Marking? Ditto
Tackling? Ditto - his position means that he will probably never rack up more than a handful each game but he laid some beauties last year and when he tackles, players generally stay tackled. Remember a couple of beauties on Gaspar?
Endurance? I don't rate this as a skill, per se

How about:

Recovery
Balance
Picking the ball up below the knees and then doing something valuable with it
Finding a path through a congested area
Vision (eg to find an option)

I'd say he's pretty good at all of these. His third quarter against Richmond in r22 last year was one of the best quarters of footy I've seen an individual play. He demonstrated all of the above, as well as using his brute strength to create opportunities.

Charlie
1st February 2003, 10:05 AM
I think that Bazza will have the complete package once he perfects his pack and overhead marking. It was terrible last year.

desredandwhite
1st February 2003, 11:37 AM
I don't think I can disagree with Charlie too much on his last post here ;)

For a key forward, Hall isn't the strongest mark you could get. On a lead, he's brutally competent, but could use some work on his overhead, contested marks.

As Liz suggested, I was pleasantly surprised with just how good Barry is off the ground. For a big bloke, he is amazing once the inflated pigskin hits the turf.

For skills on potential alone, IMHO Adam Goodes has them all - it's just that his execution is not consistently good :)

motorace_182
1st February 2003, 11:44 AM
His kicks to a team mate are amazing. As shown against the tigers in Kelly and Dunks farewell. He never needs to handball really, he has the stength to bust through a tackle. But yes his marking really did let him down last year. Ecspecially on a lead one on one with a defender and in a pack, he did seem to drop a few 50/50 chances. He has the ability to become the swans top player and a shoe-in for the coleman medal.
But Tadgh's skills are amazing. Forgetting that he is Irish and has only recently fully learnt the game, Tadgh is the most talented player on the Swans list. He has the pace, hand skills and his long kicks are amazing for the former "Irish experiment"

Jimmy C
3rd February 2003, 02:57 PM
I think Baz has some great playing attributes, with all of them already listed here-but he isn't our best skilled player. AG is easily better (when he isn't having bad-brain days), these two players are going to really shine for us this year imo.

CARNA BLOODS!

Ajn
3rd February 2003, 10:57 PM
Barry Hall is the league's second best FF and a great asset, But there is at least 10 other candidates for the most skillful.

And I still think Kennelly is the most blessed with raw skill!