PDA

View Full Version : Swans improvers step up

SWANSBEST
13th June 2003, 08:16 AM
Walls' comments regarding possible changes to the list are very interesting.

Swans' improvers up to the mark so far
By Jessica Halloran
June 13 2003

They had little respect and, most thought, little talent. Four games into the season they'd lost three games and it seemed the doomsayers were right.

But as the Sydney Swans reach the mid-season break next week, many early presumptions have started to fade.

It seems coach Paul Roos has more to work with than first expected. His team has proved it can match and beat the best in competition, including Collingwood, Brisbane and Essendon. The Swans' 7-4 record looks great, as does their fourth spot on the ladder.

And players seemingly headed to other clubs or the football scrapheap may be destined to stay in the red and white jumper.

"I still think we are finding out a little bit more about the list . . . but we won't really be able to tell until the end of the year," Roos said. "We've found out more what they have been able to achieve, improve on and get better at.

"We started to have some concerns [early in the year with a 1-3 record], which is only natural . . . you are always hoping guys improve and push up and that's obviously happened."

But former Carlton premiership coach and player Robert Walls foresees big changes to the Swans list at the close of the season.

"There will be at least seven, eight or nine go from this year, that's part of the process," Walls said. "About a quarter of the list may be turned over.

"They'll probably recruit the best young talent you can get. They are a very happy group. I don't know if you'd upset the balance by bringing in a marquee player."

Roos said a line had not been put through anyone's name. Theoretically, there will be three spots to go at the end of the year to make way for the players picked up in the draft. And, as many inside AFL say, it is getting harder and harder to stay on a club list.

Walls said the Swans' success came down to factors such as accuracy in front of goal, demonstrated by Nick Davis's 20.4 so far this season, and Roos's giving his players the licence to play fast, high-risk football.

Walls noted that 15 players had contested every game - proof the Swans' management of players' fitness and recovery was working and that the team was thick with consistency.

"They are young, fit and quick," he said. "There's a large group who have played every game, they are simply just used to each other."

Roos said not many had been inconsistent.

"We are feeling comfortable this year, the 21- to 22-year-olds are improving," he said.

A team of improvers has had some big improvers.

Brett Kirk has shown probably the most remarkable surge in form. The dogged midfielder, almost discarded at the end of last season, has been a force for his side.

And opportunity has knocked for Jude Bolton. In the absence of Paul Kelly and Wayne Schwass in midfield, he has stepped up to the mark. He's been tough and hard and has played well, particularly in the win over Richmond.

Defender Andrew Schauble has again shown his versatility and importance to the team, playing solidly throughout the season.

An injury-free Rowan Warfe has indicated his form is also on the up. He played one of the better games of his career in the win over Essendon last week.

But while things are grand for the moment, with some saying the Swans are headed for the finals, there are always a few levellers to be faced.

Firstly, as most AFL coaches attest, this season has been a very even competition, with tight finishes a regular occurrence. So any lapse will hurt.

And, so far, the Swans have not been badly hit by injuries. Apart from the short breakdowns of Daryn Cresswell, Michael O'Loughlin and Jason Saddington and a serious knee injury to ruckman Stephen Doyle, they have not suffered a major blow.

Any injury that sidelined a key player such as Barry Hall or Adam Goodes would likely leave the Swans vulnerable.

http://http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/06/12/1055220710370.html

Charlie
13th June 2003, 09:25 AM
I don't get this "no injuries" stuff... we've had a little less than other clubs... but we've still had Cressa, Fixy, Magic, Seymour, Saddington etc out at various times.

RogueSwan
13th June 2003, 10:07 AM
An injury-free Rowan Warfe has indicated his form is also on the up. He played one of the better games of his career in the win over Essendon last week.

Penga, comment?:)

Steve
13th June 2003, 10:24 AM
Gee 7-9 players is a lot to be predicting to go.

Who could Walls actually have in mind (assuming he did look at it closely and it wasn't just a quick general comment)?

Cresswell and McPherson for sure.

Seymour, Nicks, Buchanan, Ablett, Stevens and maybe O'Keefe would be under varying levels of pressure.

I guess it depends on a) what trades are on offer for them, and b) how tough they decide to be on the guys who just haven't quite come on as expected despite showing some promise.

Given we won't get an early pick for any of those players above, I would have thought shedding them all is a bit unrealistic.

It could be interesting to see what their policy is on guys who they feel might be at the height of their value in the market (eg. Kirk, Crouch, Fosdike etc).

Or could Carlton swap their No.1 pick for any combination of Nicks, Seymour, Schauble, McPherson? :p

TheMase
13th June 2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Steve
Gee 7-9 players is a lot to be predicting to go.

Who could Walls actually have in mind (assuming he did look at it closely and it wasn't just a quick general comment)?

Cresswell and McPherson for sure.

Seymour, Nicks, Buchanan, Ablett, Stevens and maybe O'Keefe would be under varying levels of pressure.

I guess it depends on a) what trades are on offer for them, and b) how tough they decide to be on the guys who just haven't quite come on as expected despite showing some promise.

Given we won't get an early pick for any of those players above, I would have thought shedding them all is a bit unrealistic.

It could be interesting to see what their policy is on guys who they feel might be at the height of their value in the market (eg. Kirk, Crouch, Fosdike etc).

Or could Carlton swap their No.1 pick for any combination of Nicks, Seymour, Schauble, McPherson? :p

I would think that these players will go at years end ...:

Cresswell (retire)
McPherson (delist)
Buchanan (delist)
Ablett (delist)
Seymour (trade/delist?)
Nicks (trade?)

I reckon that'd be a fair list to go.

Sanecow
13th June 2003, 12:06 PM
Actually I think I'm about to get back on the Nicks bandwagon.

chammond
13th June 2003, 12:25 PM
Gee 7-9 players is a lot to be predicting to go. Who could Walls actually have in mind (assuming he did look at it closely and it wasn't just a quick general comment)?

Given that Walls is a master of the bleedin' obvious, it's most likely that he only picked that number because that's how many the Swans have tended to turn over in the past. Let's not forget that this is the bloke that put McVeigh in the Swans best 22 at the start of the season.

Looking at the list, Cresswell, Ablett and McPherson will probably make the three mandatory vacancies (contracts permitting of course).

After that, Buchanan and Stevens must be vulnerable unless they can force their way back into the seniors somehow. I can't see Seymour being delisted, but if he doesn't shake these persistent leg problems soon, I think there's a good chance he'll retire.

In the current financial position, I don't see the club as wanting to break contracts just to turn over the list, so I doubt we'll see as many as 9 changes.

Charlie
13th June 2003, 12:50 PM
I think Snapper will retire... he's had so many injuries over the years, his body must be a wreck, and he's signed as a model with his wife's modelling agency... so he's got something to go into if he decides to give it up.

Gunn
13th June 2003, 02:51 PM
I think this group are the most likely

Cresswell (retire)
McPherson (delist)
Buchanan (delist)
Ablett (delist)
Seymour (retire/delist)

That is 5 which is quite a lot.

A lot may depend on where we finish on the ladder, the order of our draft picks and the likely quality of the draft.

I think Nicks would stay unless he were able to be traded for an early draft pick either by himself or with another such as Stevens,
O'Keefe or Warfe. Of those mentioned I would prefer to keep Nicks or O'Keefe. Warfe is under contract for next year but he could still be traded. We do need some good key position types like FB and CHB so we may have to trade for them.

Ganjaman
13th June 2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Gunn

Buchanan (delist)

Whats going on. Twice the above has been mentioned, yet last year he was an RWO favourite. Hundreds of posts giving him praise. Do we bar him cause we have Schnitzel or do we give him another go?

Cheer Cheer
13th June 2003, 03:26 PM
I agree with most comments on here, IMO I believe that the biggest profile player to go this year will be matthew nicks in terms of a player being delisted -not including retirements(cressa)

And on the other hand I believe that the player who most people think will go at the end of the year but wont will be - buchanan

omnipotent
13th June 2003, 05:48 PM
Can't see any of those as being tradeable. Nicks had to be traded at the beginning of this year for us to receive anything of value for him.