PDA

View Full Version : Reserves

hammo
22nd July 2006, 01:22 PM
Is anyone heading along early to see Nick play in the reserves?

Hopefully Davo kicks 10 and Schmidt, Willoughby and Spriggs gather 30 possies each: the sort of prolific disposal count that we won't see from B.Mathews later in the night.

stellation
22nd July 2006, 02:59 PM
Yep, we'll be turning up early to make sure we see the whole magoos game.

ROK Lobster
22nd July 2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by stellation
Yep, we'll be turning up early to make sure we see the whole magoos game. Go now, go now. If you text the scores to me I will keep the boards up dated.

stellation
22nd July 2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Go now, go now. If you text the scores to me I will keep the boards up dated.
Will do!

The Big Cat
22nd July 2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by hammo
Is anyone heading along early to see Nick play in the reserves?

Hopefully Davo kicks 10 and Schmidt, Willoughby and Spriggs gather 30 possies each: the sort of prolific disposal count that we won't see from B.Mathews later in the night. Don't pick on Benny, he is fulfilling roles that none of us see.

ItsAllGoodes
22nd July 2006, 08:42 PM
from sportingpulse.com.au

Sydney 5.5, 9.9, 15.14, 22.17.149
Tuggeranong 2.3, 5.7, 7.9, 10.12.72

Goal Kickers: E Shaw 4; K Thornton 3; T Schmidt 3; M Laidlaw 3; N Davis 2; A Prior 2; S Rowe 2;J Willoughby 1; K Jack 1; C Bird 1

Best Players: D Spriggs;P Currie; K Thornton; P Chambers; K Jack; T Schmidt

satchmopugdog
22nd July 2006, 09:25 PM
Laidlaw 3...yea.

C-Train
22nd July 2006, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by ItsAllGoodes
from sportingpulse.com.au

Sydney 5.5, 9.9, 15.14, 22.17.149
Tuggeranong 2.3, 5.7, 7.9, 10.12.72

Goal Kickers: E Shaw 4; K Thornton 3; T Schmidt 3; M Laidlaw 3; N Davis 2; A Prior 2; S Rowe 2;J Willoughby 1; K Jack 1; C Bird 1

Best Players: D Spriggs;P Currie; K Thornton; P Chambers; K Jack; T Schmidt

Chambers??? Any relation to the sack of spuds we demoted to the twos?

ugg
23rd July 2006, 12:31 AM
Who the hell picks these best players? Chambers was alright but I thought Doyle was significantly better. Even Shaw was better than Chambers. Currie was a bit of a nonentity at centre half back. And obviously they've been told to exclude Davis from the list. Anyways on to my thoughts:

- With usual key forwards Vogels and Grundy missing, it was the unveiling of the "5 Ruckmen" (Doyle, Chambers, Shaw, Ericksen and Rowe) strategy that is sure to revolutionise football.
- Davis played almost the whole game in the midfield, with 2 short stints up forward. He had a pretty good game, got plenty of the ball and set up a few goals as well. Kicked 2 or 3 behinds in addition to his 2 goals. Somewhat of a frustrating game as they kept rotating close-checking opponents on him. It showed when he marked just after the final siren and he booted the ball into the stands in frustration. Worked especially well with Doyle in the ruck, and ran into a few of his taps. He was wearing that GPS tracker again, would be interesting to see how much he ran as he looked pretty puffed by the end.
- Speaking of which, I thought Doyle was very good in the ruck. He actually hits to ball to advantage while when Chambers gets first hands to the ball it could go anywhere. I think it could be time to bring back Doyle into the seniors.
- Laidlaw was busy all game, starting on the wing then pushing up forward. Took a few nice grabs and has a hefty kick.
- Thornton started well, kicked 3 goals in the first quarter. Showed some nice evasive skills.
- Schmidt and Spriggs made solid contributions, won their fair share of the ball.
- Shaw took some great marks in the goal square playing as the full forward. Probably should have kicked 5 but sprayed one completely missing everything.
- Crouch and Moore didn't play. Numbers 28 and 33 were worn by Bird and Woods respectively
- I like the look of Bird, I think he will go in the national draft. Poise and good foot skills.

Best: Doyle Laidlaw Schmidt Davis Shaw Thornton

DST
23rd July 2006, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by ugg
Who the hell picks these best players? Chambers was alright but I thought Doyle was significantly better. Even Shaw was better than Chambers. Currie was a bit of a nonentity at centre half back. And obviously they've been told to exclude Davis from the list. Anyways on to my thoughts:

- With usual key forwards Vogels and Grundy missing, it was the unveiling of the "5 Ruckmen" (Doyle, Chambers, Shaw, Ericksen and Rowe) strategy that is sure to revolutionise football.
- Davis played almost the whole game in the midfield, with 2 short stints up forward. He had a pretty good game, got plenty of the ball and set up a few goals as well. Kicked 2 or 3 behinds in addition to his 2 goals. Somewhat of a frustrating game as they kept rotating close-checking opponents on him. It showed when he marked just after the final siren and he booted the ball into the stands in frustration. Worked especially well with Doyle in the ruck, and ran into a few of his taps. He was wearing that GPS tracker again, would be interesting to see how much he ran as he looked pretty puffed by the end.
- Speaking of which, I thought Doyle was very good in the ruck. He actually hits to ball to advantage while when Chambers gets first hands to the ball it could go anywhere. I think it could be time to bring back Doyle into the seniors.
- Laidlaw was busy all game, starting on the wing then pushing up forward. Took a few nice grabs and has a hefty kick.
- Thornton started well, kicked 3 goals in the first quarter. Showed some nice evasive skills.
- Schmidt and Spriggs made solid contributions, won their fair share of the ball.
- Shaw took some great marks in the goal square playing as the full forward. Probably should have kicked 5 but sprayed one completely missing everything.
- Crouch and Moore didn't play. Numbers 28 and 33 were worn by Bird and Woods respectively
- I like the look of Bird, I think he will go in the national draft. Poise and good foot skills.

Thanks Ugg,

Doyle is the missing link in our side at present. If we can get him in the side with Jolly and playing for the next 6 to 10 weeks who knows what we can do.

DST
:D

swantastic
23rd July 2006, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by ItsAllGoodes
Best Players: D Spriggs;P Currie; K Thornton; P Chambers; K Jack; T Schmidt Still no BOG for ND,Roosey must still be giving votes.:frown

liz
23rd July 2006, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by ugg

That's probably more like it, except I didn't think Matty Davis did that much.;) I probably had Schmidt- just - as my BOG but was impressed with Laidlaw's game.

You had to feel for the Hawks a little with the Swans ruck brigade back from injury in numbers. It looked as if they'd wandered into a chapter from Gulliver's Travels.

Shaw marked very well but it doesn't look as if his kicking has improved much. Anything more than 15m out from goal and directly in front - where almost all his kicks were - and he looked very unsure of himself.

I agree with Ugg that Bird was impressive. I think he's too young to be rookied this year so if the Swans, or anyone else, wants him it will have to be in the main draft. He looks very poised for someone playing senior football at barely 17 and a half.

It is a real shame that Prior isn't a slightly better kick because he is an exceptionally good mark for his size, and he's pretty hard at the contest.

Doyle looks as ready to return as he's ever likely to and the seniors can't keep going with Richards in the ruck for ever. And while I wouldn't have put Chambers in the best few players, it was the most convincing I've seen him this year. He even kicked the ball a couple of times!

satchmopugdog
23rd July 2006, 10:19 AM
Ok..it's time to get my Laidlaw bandwagon really moving. I've had it in the garage just fine tuning it whilst Davisgate has been happening.

I want Laidlaw playing .......when do I want him ?.....now!!!

Not really but surely next year.

barry
23rd July 2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by ugg
..... Worked especially well with Doyle in the ruck, and ran into a few of his taps. He was wearing that GPS tracker again, would be interesting to see how much he ran as he looked pretty puffed by the end.

Yeah. Doyle has been in the best for the 2's for a few weeks now. He should be match fit enough. Time to bring him back.

In: Doyle, Davis
Out: Richards, Phillips

We would be close to our best 22 on the park if that happened.

I suspect Roos will want to get Matthews back though. Even in the post match interview last night he lamented the fact that Benny missed out, and he had to promote grundy.

Go Swannies
23rd July 2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by ugg

John Longmire mentioned that at the after match. His words were that "it looked like the Manhattan skyline out there with the five ruckmen".

Northern_Swan
23rd July 2006, 02:05 PM
I agree with Ugg that Bird was impressive. I think he's too young to be rookied this year so if the Swans, or anyone else, wants him it will have to be in the main draft. He looks very poised for someone playing senior football at barely 17 and a half.

I don't know how the rules work, but I know that he turns 18 in January, so perhaps someone that does know can share the info

nomae
23rd July 2006, 02:07 PM
who is Bird and where does he play? midfield? and does he play for the swannies reserves? :confused:

ugg
23rd July 2006, 02:12 PM
Craig Bird who plays in the midfield. Captained NSW/ACT in the recent U18 championships and was the only one in the team to be named in the All-Australian team at the end of the championships. When numbers are down due to injury, the reserves regularly top up their list with young players such as Bird. He's played at least 2 games now with the reserves.

Big Al
23rd July 2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by swantastic
Still no BOG for ND,Roosey must still be giving votes.:frown

I watched the game and Davis wasn't in the best 6. Tried hard but was a bit off the pace. Took a heavy knock in the 2nd Qrt which may have slowed him a bit.

NMWBloods
23rd July 2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by barry
I suspect Roos will want to get Matthews back though. Even in the post match interview last night he lamented the fact that Benny missed out, and he had to promote grundy. Roos is so blind when it comes to certain players. How could you lament missing Mathews when Grundy comes in and does that!?!

liz
23rd July 2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Northern_Swan
I don't know how the rules work, but I know that he turns 18 in January, so perhaps someone that does know can share the info

I'm pretty sure that to be rookied you have to be 18 at least by 31 December following the draft - it may even be 3 months earlier. I think there used to be a six month age differential between senior list and rookie list eligibility but they pushed the senior list age cut-off forward by a few months for the 2004 draft so now it may just be three month age differential.

The thinking behind it, I believe, is that given rookies are only guaranteed one year, compared to two for senior list draftees, it is unfair to take a 17yo and move them away from home for such a limited opportunity.

adnar
23rd July 2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Craig Bird who plays in the midfield. Captained NSW/ACT in the recent U18 championships and was the only one in the team to be named in the All-Australian team at the end of the championships. When numbers are down due to injury, the reserves regularly top up their list with young players such as Bird. He's played at least 2 games now with the reserves.

Do you know what club he plays for?

ugg
23rd July 2006, 05:48 PM
From http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=278034

Craig Bird - New South Wales/Australian Capital Territory, 177cm, 75kg, Nelson Bay
Small midfielder, Bird captained NSW/ACT and accumulated 69 disposals, averaging 23 touches. He had 18 hard-ball gets - the second best in the championships - and laid 17 tackles, which was equal third. He also led the championships in clearances, with 22 at an average of seven per match - four more than his nearest rival.

Ryan Bomford
23rd July 2006, 07:37 PM
I thought Crouchy was coming back through the 2s this weekend- did anyone hear an update?

stellation
23rd July 2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford
I thought Crouchy was coming back through the 2s this weekend- did anyone hear an update?
Crouchy didn't play and spent the magoos in the coaching box. He was picking stuff from his teeth, inspecting it and then eating it during the long break.

Ryan Bomford
23rd July 2006, 07:43 PM
Crouchy didn't play and spent the magoos in the coaching box. He was picking stuff from his teeth, inspecting it and then eating it during the long break.

Ah.. thanks. Must have something to do with his mysterious injury.

SimonH
24th July 2006, 05:25 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Ryan Bomford
Ah.. thanks. Must have something to do with his mysterious injury. Now we know the true reason for his non-disclosure: the social stigma of halitosis!

The conversation that led to the end of the record-breaking run actually went along the following lines.

"So, Crouchy, let's test if you're truly fit: if you weren't selected for the league team, would you play for the seconds?"
"To be honest, coach, nah. I don't think they'd like me hanging around the stoppages any better than the firsts."

ugg
24th July 2006, 05:39 PM
sydneyswans.com.au Report (http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=insidetheclub&spg=reserves)

David Spriggs was the Swans? best for another week with 17 kicks, eight handballs and seven marks playing on the ball, while Paul Currie at centre half back, Thornton at half forward and Kieren Jack playing on the ball and in the forward line also made the list.

Paul Chambers, on return from a thumb injury, contributed in the ruck and Schmidt had yet another high possession game with 22 kicks and six handballs.

Legs Akimbo
24th July 2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by ugg
sydneyswans.com.au Report (http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=insidetheclub&spg=reserves)

You know, I actually feel sad for poor Spriggs. He's not been given a lot of opportunity since he came north. This is part of the problem of having reserves in Canberra. Players consistently dominate but no one actually knows what it means. So in lieu of selection by performances in the seconds, it comes down to 'effort' and all the other stuff already said in upteen threads.

NMWBloods
24th July 2006, 07:02 PM
Surely Spriggs has to get another shot this year.

Nico
24th July 2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
You know, I actually feel sad for poor Spriggs. He's not been given a lot of opportunity since he came north. This is part of the problem of having reserves in Canberra. Players consistently dominate but no one actually knows what it means. So in lieu of selection by performances in the seconds, it comes down to 'effort' and all the other stuff already said in upteen threads.

Would still be picking up a decent wage each week, not to mention the women.

hammo
24th July 2006, 07:15 PM
Spriggs was unlucky not to play against West Coast and Richmond, but I think Roos has made it pretty clear now that he won't be seen in the Swans seniors again.

Legs Akimbo
24th July 2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Would still be picking up a decent wage each week, not to mention the women.

Okay, I don't feel sorry for him anymore. The man has it made.

Sanecow
24th July 2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by hammo
Spriggs was unlucky not to play against West Coast and Richmond, but I think Roos has made it pretty clear now that he won't be seen in the Swans seniors again.

So when he's named as an emergency, Roos is just messing with him?

originalswan
24th July 2006, 08:35 PM
Yeah simlar to how Schmidt has been messed around with!

Nico
24th July 2006, 08:51 PM
Ya cant keep blaming Roosey, we all know the players pick the team.

Kirk will play because he will pick himself.

Here is how it happens.

All 22 who played last week except the newer guys get to pick someone for the team next week. They all pick themselves. So lets say there are 2 certain injuries who wont play (this is rare but there must be a Plan B), there are 2 places left to fill. The leadership group then goes into a huddle and come up with replacements and if the younger players can keep their places.

If there are any regulars previously dropped back to the 2's (rare) or coming back through injury they are automatic selections.

QED. Won us a flag so OK by me.

NMWBloods
24th July 2006, 08:52 PM
Won us a flag so OK by me. Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

barry
24th July 2006, 09:10 PM
Ya cant keep blaming Roosey, we all know the players pick the team.

Kirk will play because he will pick himself.

Here is how it happens.

All 22 who played last week except the newer guys get to pick someone for the team next week. They all pick themselves. So lets say there are 2 certain injuries who wont play (this is rare but there must be a Plan B), there are 2 places left to fill.

Dont forget to add that the 2 injured players will try to hide the injury from the medical staff so they can still play.

The leadership group then goes into a huddle and come up with replacements and if the younger players can keep their places.

If there are any regulars previously dropped back to the 2's (rare) or coming back through injury they are automatic selections.

And if they cant find someone they like in the 2's, they scour the rookie list, or SFL.

Nico
24th July 2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Does that mean "allexceptnickdavis".

Nico
24th July 2006, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by barry
Dont forget to add that the 2 injured players will try to hide the injury from the medical staff so they can still play.

And if they cant find someone they like in the 2's, they scour the rookie list, or SFL.

Part of Plan B is "refer to draft profile".

ROK Lobster
24th July 2006, 09:14 PM
Does that mean "allexceptnickdavis". It means you are full of crap you old fruitcake.

Ruda Wakening
24th July 2006, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

A West Wing moment?

NMWBloods
24th July 2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Ruda Wakening
A West Wing moment? Continuing to show that exquisite taste in quality television! :)

(BTW - Season 3 of Deadwood is on in the US)