PDA

View Full Version : Schnieder Back To Reserves?

Cheer Cheer
16th June 2003, 12:57 AM
Just wondering what people on here think about dropping back adam to the reserves for a couple of games.
North did it to their star Daniel Wells for a couple of games, and if it is going to happen I reckon now after a couple of quiet weeks, maybe to make sure he doesnt get burnt out and give him a break for a couple of weeks, give buchanan a run to see what he's got, adam has proven himself imo, this is a rebuilding year after all, gotta test players like buchanan to make a decision.

Charlie
16th June 2003, 01:03 AM
Been thinking that maybe a game or two in the ressies - at the very least during the break week - would do him some good. His impact hasn't been big in the last month... that's probably denting his confidence and last night he seemed desperate to do something incredible... but the incredible things just happen, they're not something you can bring about just by trying to kick the ball long or too quickly.

A week in the ressies, belting around some Canberra kid and kicking 12 goals could do wonders for his confidence.

liz
16th June 2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Charlie
Been thinking that maybe a game or two in the ressies - at the very least during the break week - would do him some good. His impact hasn't been big in the last month... that's probably denting his confidence and last night he seemed desperate to do something incredible... but the incredible things just happen, they're not something you can bring about just by trying to kick the ball long or too quickly.

A week in the ressies, belting around some Canberra kid and kicking 12 goals could do wonders for his confidence.

Couldn't agree less! I reckon he's too good to be running around in the second rate Canberra competition and I don't think he'd gain much from it. I don't think he needs his confidence restored - there doesn't seem to be too much wrong with it!

I rate Saturday's performance as his worst in the R&W - but it was still OK and he contributed as much, if not more, than 3 or 4 other (some more senior) players in the team. Just because he isn't scoring goals doesn't mean he's not effective. His skills all around the ground are pretty good for someone so young and with so much physical development still to happen - and his tackling ain't bad either.

The only caveat to that is whether he's feeling the pinch physically. I can't see any signs of that, but only the coaching staff would actually know.

Reggi
16th June 2003, 08:13 AM
He needs to keep his fitness up but is going ok in my opinion.

When earlier in the season he would run closewr to goal he is now trying to have shots from around the 50 metre line - pretty low %.

Also noticing the quality of player he generally draws - ie Mark Johnson last week

TheHood
16th June 2003, 09:00 AM
Roosy has been keeping a close check on his game time but when he is on, he always keeps busy and his general around the ground disposal is very good and his tackling and chasing is sensational because of his blistering pace.

Unless he can't get any of the nut, no point in dropping a Rising Star!

Speaking of Rising Stars, did anyone see some of Chris Judd's 5 goals on Sunday? Do you reckon we could find an incentive to get him to the Harbour Town?

RogueSwan
16th June 2003, 10:33 AM
I don't remember where I read it, but Roosy was saying Schniederman would benefit greatly from the rest as he has had a tiring season for a young body. Wait and see him run circles around Wanganeen in a fortnight. :)

Sid
16th June 2003, 11:01 AM
He has been low on possessions and has drawn some good opponents, but if putting him in the reserves will raise his confidence, which it should, then i think we should do that and give another kid a chance.

Jon
16th June 2003, 12:02 PM
Although he hasn't kicked goals for a couple of weeks, he's had opportunites, and his tackling is phenomenal. The role he plays, he's only ever going to kick a couple a game in the long run (and the odd GREAT bag). His set shot was diappointing, but he's had two long running shots from outside 50 in the last 2 weeks, if he'd hit either of them, this thread wouldn't exist!

That last attempt when he ran 45m along the wing and barely missed...geez, he's worth his weight in gold as far as attendances are concerned. The crowd BAYED for him to have a shot!

I think a rest will definitely have to come for him eventually. Perhaps Roos might rest him for an away game? Carlton or Melbourne perhaps?

penga
16th June 2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Jon
Although he hasn't kicked goals for a couple of weeks

this was the first game in his short career where he hasnt scored a goal...

NMWBloods
16th June 2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by penga
this was the first game in his short career where he hasnt scored a goal...

Second actually - Freo was the other.

penga
16th June 2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Second actually - Freo was the other.

too true

Bear
16th June 2003, 02:46 PM
agree he needs to be looked at for a stint in the 2s, however, he started to get into the game in the 2nd half and i would like to see him shoot his webs on the big round in Adelaide.

if no improvement next round then into the 2s, particularly as he has spent so much time on the bench.

Cheer Cheer
16th June 2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Jon
Although he hasn't kicked goals for a couple of weeks, he's had opportunites, and his tackling is phenomenal. The role he plays, he's only ever going to kick a couple a game in the long run (and the odd GREAT bag). His set shot was diappointing, but he's had two long running shots from outside 50 in the last 2 weeks, if he'd hit either of them, this thread wouldn't exist!

Well actually Jon, if he had converted one or two chances over the last fortnight it would have hardly mattered I still would have brought this thread up.
In fact Roosy made mention of thinking along the same lines in todays herald sun.
IMO the season is starting to take its toll on him and I think he needs a couple weeks break.

omnipotent
16th June 2003, 06:09 PM
If Judd goes anywhere it will be to Melbourne. He apparently is quite homesick for there. But with West Coast firing you wouldn't rule out him staying in the west.

Jon
16th June 2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Cheer Cheer
Well actually Jon, if he had converted one or two chances over the last fortnight it would have hardly mattered I still would have brought this thread up.
In fact Roosy made mention of thinking along the same lines in todays herald sun.
IMO the season is starting to take its toll on him and I think he needs a couple weeks break.

Fair enuff. Isn't that what I said? I thought I agreed he would be rested, eventually?

The writing's already there. Roos has been starting him off the bench, and playing him for shorter stints.

Player payments might become a factor, too. Most kids get cut by around their 15th week. Isn't there an escalation of pay if you play more than 15 games? Anyway, can't imgine it would apply to Schneider if the team's still travelling.

Oh and thanks Penga...forgot about that little goal he kicked against Essendon. Don't know why, he kicked it right in front of me! But if we're going to get that pedantic, I said goal(s) so on a half-arsed, accidental technicality I'm still right. :p

Cheer Cheer
16th June 2003, 10:47 PM
Just to clarify again you seem to miss what i said jon - you said if he had nailed a couple of those shots this thread wouldnt exist and i said i would have created it anyway, because whether his shots were goals or behinds the writing has been on the wall regardless of missed shots.

TheHood
16th June 2003, 11:30 PM
When I gaze into my chrystal ball I see the Schneiderman's first 2 years with the the Swans emulating that of Gary Ablett Jnr!

Gary showed glimpses last year but over the course of the year was deemed somewhat "inconsistent" and spent some weeks in the twos. This year the little fella is IMHO, the most dangerous along with Bicardi, player on the Cats list.

I was fanging for a big Schneid's goal when he took that exhilirating run, just like a do when Tadhg takes a run, but I am still a fan of the hard stuff he does, chases and hard ball gets, he almost always gets it to a man in just enough space to make something more of it. He will be a star for us in 2004.

liz
16th June 2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Jon

The writing's already there. Roos has been starting him off the bench, and playing him for shorter stints.

Hasn't he been played off the bench, and in short stints, for most of the season? I think the only game where he started on the ground and got a lot of game time was against Richmond where the bench comprised (I think) Sunny, LRT, Stevens and O'Keefe - the first two being even less experienced that him and the last two coming in for their first senior games for a few weeks.

Jon
17th June 2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Cheer Cheer
Just to clarify again you seem to miss what i said jon - you said if he had nailed a couple of those shots this thread wouldnt exist and i said i would have created it anyway, because whether his shots were goals or behinds the writing has been on the wall regardless of missed shots.

Okay. Obviously I was a little glib. I didn't realise you'd take offense.

To clarify:

(1) I actually agree with EVERYTHING you said. Next time I'll just say that.

(2) Keep the threads coming...I wasn't having a go at you for asking the question.

(3) All I was suggesting was that with the break coming up, a player with 16 goals and 14 behinds should be able to play a few more games before a drop to the ressies would be in order. I think I even suggested the Carlton game as a good time as it would cut down on his travel?

Diego
17th June 2003, 11:33 AM
Plenty of time for Schniderman to star. It's his first year folks of course he will fade in and out.

I personally am not worried if he hasn't kicked goals. It's all about learning to play with the big boys this year for him and so far he has done well.

If this was his third season with the swans then I would start to worry about his form.

So far it isn't warranted.

penga
17th June 2003, 01:02 PM
his one percenters and pressure on the ball once it hits the ground would still warrant him a spot IMO, the only reason why he'd be dropped is for the chance for him to have a breather

Nico
17th June 2003, 10:35 PM
Clearly Roos is giving him a little less time on the ground for the very reason, to save him so he CAN see out the year. You might find after the break that he will back to more game time.

Don't forget this is not his first season, and yes he was injuresd last year but he should be building some stamina by now.

Cheer, Cheer I think maybe in the break you are having a bit too much Cheer, Cheer.

Cheer Cheer
17th June 2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Cheer, Cheer I think maybe in the break you are having a bit too much Cheer, Cheer.

Ay? :confused:

thommoone
17th June 2003, 11:20 PM
Anyone reckon Mcglone will be pushe dup into the senior list soon????
i mean we all know, he continues to either be BOG or in the top 5 players, so surely he must earn a promotion soon!???

liz
17th June 2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by thommoone
Anyone reckon Mcglone will be pushe dup into the senior list soon????
i mean we all know, he continues to either be BOG or in the top 5 players, so surely he must earn a promotion soon!???

Why promote him unless they want to play him. Unless we get a spate of injuries to the midfield its hard to see him getting in the team.

Must be a decent chance to get promoted at the end of the season though.

Reggi
18th June 2003, 08:24 AM
Adam Schneider! blah blah blah Mark McGough Blah blah blah

Jon
18th June 2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Reggi
blah blah blah

Gee. It's even funnier the eleventh time I see it.:rolleyes:

penga
18th June 2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Jon

hey, im still laughin :D

jixygirl
18th June 2003, 02:15 PM
At first I didn't get get it and I thought that it wasn't funny, but now I still don't get it but I think that it's funny anyway. It's one of those thing that keeps on knocking on the side of your brain. Anyway, with Schnieder, I think that the rest will be fantastic for him and that we can't expect a lot from him (adam's in his first seson of playing and he's only 19!!!). I also don't believe that he will be playing against Wanganeen but he could become like Ablett Jr. He is definitely a prospect for the future and it's good that schneider's getting experience. All the best for him and (of course) go swans.

liz
18th June 2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by jixygirl
At first I didn't get get it and I thought that it wasn't funny, but now I still don't get it but I think that it's funny anyway.

I'm still chuckling!

Jixy - check out the thread on whether LRT should get suspended for an explanation.

Roscoe
18th June 2003, 03:36 PM
I'm a big fan of "schneids", but a full game or 2 back in the magoos will benefit him, both in fitness and to realise that a bit of early success won't last forever.

"Monty" Buchanan deserves a chance . he has come back well and why not create a bit of friendly rivalry between the 2 of them.

it will keep both of them on their toes.

long term I think that Buchanan will be our goalsneak and "schneids" can move into the mid-field - he reminds me of a young Anthony stevens

Good thread Cheer Cheer and well supported Charlie

Lets all open our eyes to all possibilities.

"schneids" has done nothing wrong to be dropped, but did Powell
and Miekeljohn ???

Roos is a smart coach

penga
18th June 2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Roscoe
long term I think that Buchanan will be our goalsneak and "schneids" can move into the mid-field

i like this idea, i think youre on to something...

i cant wait to see schneider in the middle! he'll rip it up!!!

Xie Shan
18th June 2003, 11:49 PM
i cant wait to see schneider in the middle! he'll rip it up!!!

I'm sure he would - but he loves kicking goals too much!

jixygirl
19th June 2003, 01:36 PM
Goals are one thing, he would be fantastic in the midfield and could occasionally kick a goal. I agree with penga that Roscoe is definitely onto something.

Craig
19th June 2003, 01:59 PM
I agree. Schnider would be classy in the midfield.

jixygirl
19th June 2003, 02:06 PM
Well, when he's played in the midfield over the past couple of rounds, Schneider's has done a decent job. Over time, Schneider could become a very classy player.

Doctor J.
20th June 2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Jon

Oh Jon, don't take life so seriously.

You can switch off ABC-FM every now and then :rolleyes:

Reggi
21st June 2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Jon

You just don't appreciate what a burden it is being a Collingwood barracker

Jon
22nd June 2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Reggi
You just don't appreciate what a burden it is being a Collingwood barracker

lol. I guess not. It must be hard. Just pretending to be a Wobbler fan is sometimes enough to cause some over-tired idiot to make a gentle sledge. Oh well. Let's just put it down as an attempt to make your experience as a Collingwood fan on these boards more authentic, hey?

:cool:

sharp9
23rd June 2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by jixygirl
Well, when he's played in the midfield over the past couple of rounds, Schneider's has done a decent job. Over time, Schneider could become a very classy player.

Interestingly in the recent article on the Swans' fitness, specific mention was made of Schneider and Kennelly NOT being long distance runners - but explosive and fast. That would rule out extended time in the mid filed for Adam (and ND)