PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Umps

PerthSwannie
13th August 2006, 04:11 PM
Is anyone else on here and not just me pissed off with the Ump`s decisions of recent weeks? Like yesterday was just outrageous!

Big Al
13th August 2006, 04:16 PM
It's is the life of a Swans supporter. Usually it doesn't cost us games (Wet Toast and the McClaren lovein aside) but it's annoying just the same.

The Bevan report was the softest report I can remember. You could argue it wasn't even a free kick.

liz
13th August 2006, 04:36 PM
What was the beef with the umpiring yesterday?

Lots of soft frees were paid to both sides. Didn't think we were particularly hard done by. We got two goals from very soft frees (Grundy's first and Kirk's).

NMWBloods
13th August 2006, 04:38 PM
I thought we had a decent run with the umpires yesterday - probably better than Melbourne's.

My biggest problem with the umpiring this year is massive lack of consistency. This is particularly the case with holding the ball, in the back, 50m penalties, and 15m (for marks).

goswannie14
13th August 2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by liz
What was the beef with the umpiring yesterday?

Lots of soft frees were paid to both sides. Didn't think we were particularly hard done by. We got two goals from very soft frees (Grundy's first and Kirk's). From my viewpoint, it was obvious that Grundy was grabbed well before the ball got to the contest. It wasn't soft. The decision that really annoyed me was Neitz in the third quarter "marking" a half volley. Unbelievable.:mad:

dread and might
13th August 2006, 04:42 PM
Last time against the dees was horrid as well (both ways). Remember that schneider limp wrist that led to the 50. That was embarassing

Big Al
13th August 2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I thought we had a decent run with the umpires yesterday - probably better than Melbourne's.

My biggest problem with the umpiring this year is massive lack of consistency. This is particularly the case with holding the ball, in the back, 50m penalties, and 15m (for marks).

The holding the ball decisions baffle me every week. They penalise the player making the play and miss the player trying to kill the play. You have your heart in your mouth every time a player goes to ground with the ball because of the uncertainty of what the umpire will do.

goswannie14
13th August 2006, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Big Al
The holding the ball decisions baffle me every week. They penalise the player making the play and miss the player trying to kill the play. You have your heart in your mouth every time a player goes to ground with the ball because of the uncertainty of what the umpire will do. That happened to Schneider in the last quarter, where the Melb player pulled the ball back under Schneiders legs. The the red headed idiot missed from right in front.;)

garethb83
13th August 2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
From my viewpoint, it was obvious that Grundy was grabbed well before the ball got to the contest. It wasn't soft. The decision that really annoyed me was Neitz in the third quarter "marking" a half volley. Unbelievable.:mad:

Slow it down and watch it again, it doesnt bounce off the ground, it bounces up off his fingers, which technically means he caught it i think? (the same rule applies to cricket catches)

I was at home watching it on tv and spat the dummy too, but on closer inspection, it was actually a really good grab. Thats my opinion anyways.

goswannie14
13th August 2006, 05:48 PM
Just watching the tape (sorry DVD) now. I forgot, the worst decision was definitely Bevan getting reported for missing a tackle. RIDICULOUS!!!!!

Big Al
13th August 2006, 05:55 PM
EMBARRASSING. Would be more accurate. The umpire will withdraw the report before it gets to the review panel.

Xie Shan
14th August 2006, 03:13 AM
The soft free to Kirk was pretty embarrassing. I don't think the Melbourne player even made contact!

I don't think the umpiring really favoured either side, but we seemed to be better at manufacturing opportunities from our free kicks than they were. The Goodes running from behind Jude to accept a free kick in the 2nd, resulting in a Grundy goal, was a good example.

goswannie14
14th August 2006, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by garethb83
Slow it down and watch it again, it doesnt bounce off the ground, it bounces up off his fingers, which technically means he caught it i think? (the same rule applies to cricket catches)In cricket though, if any part of the ball touches the ground it is not out.

I was at home watching it on tv and spat the dummy too, but on closer inspection, it was actually a really good grab. Thats my opinion anyways. I looked at it twice last night. I still think it was 50/50.

Agent 86
14th August 2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by PerthSwannie
Is anyone else on here and not just me pissed off with the Ump`s decisions of recent weeks? Like yesterday was just outrageous!
I have to say that I'd be happy if they were only that bad every week.

Jeffers1984
14th August 2006, 11:12 AM
Weird. I thought the umpring benefited us heaps on Saturday. WE got a superb run when we broke the game open in the 3rd quarter which led to Fosdikes goal.

Feels good to finally be on the right end of the umpiring.

goswannie14
14th August 2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
Weird. I thought the umpring benefited us heaps on Saturday. WE got a superb run when we broke the game open in the 3rd quarter which led to Fosdikes goal.

Feels good to finally be on the right end of the umpiring. The count was still in their favour 20-25. But it was probably the best go we have had in a while.

ugg
14th August 2006, 11:19 AM
Again I believe it was the ones that were not given versus similar ones that were given against us.

For example, Malceski had the ball and when tackled the ball jarred out and he was pinged for HTB. Fair enough. However when a similar thing happened to a Melbourne player (I think Ward) on the opposite wing, it wasn't called at all.

NMWBloods
14th August 2006, 11:19 AM
The free kick count doesn't necessarily mean anything with regard to who had the better run of the umpires.

wheels27
14th August 2006, 11:41 AM
The free kick count doesn't necessarily mean anything with regard to who had the better run of the umpires.

And yet is used by the umpiring ranks to rationalise performances and deflect criticism.

Sanecow
14th August 2006, 12:03 PM

My fifteen counts of indecent exposure are a certain indication that the police hate me.

goswannie14
14th August 2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Again I believe it was the ones that were not given versus similar ones that were given against us.

For example, Malceski had the ball and when tackled the ball jarred out and he was pinged for HTB. Fair enough. However when a similar thing happened to a Melbourne player (I think Ward) on the opposite wing, it wasn't called at all. Or when it happened in front of their goal, I can't remember the player, but was tackled, Melb player picks it up kicks goal.

I often say, "It is the ones they don't pay that makes the difference".

Danzar
14th August 2006, 01:22 PM
I think the fact that the free kick count was in the Dees favour heavily in the first half gave the illusion that the bias was against us. The count evened itself out (generally) by the end of the game, so it wasn't too bad.

I had a few Dees supporters behind me who grumbled during the third and fourth quarters about how bad it was for them but were decidedly silent in quarters one and two. The same for my grumbling but vice versa.

Schneiderman
14th August 2006, 01:25 PM
I just think they need to blow the whistle less. There were not 45 frees in that game. There were either 70 (if they were being consistent) or more like 25 'real' frees. Half the time they seem to be assuming there will be a free and blow the whistle before actual contact is made.

A classic example was where Godfrey got taken high by his own team mate but because Kirk had a hold on him the umpire gave a free.

Same with Bevo, because James assumed he would charge with a shoulder, but instead put his arms up and made normal contact with his chest.

Doctor
14th August 2006, 05:42 PM
*shrugs* I thought the umpiring was pretty reasonable on Saturday. There will always be a couple of mistakes but as long as one or two go each way you can put them down as honest mistakes and move on.

I wsa angry about the Neitz mark when I saw it but on replay you'd have to say that he deserved the benefit of the doubt and the umpire made the right call. The Bevan one will get thrown out so it's not worth worrying about.

AnnieH
14th August 2006, 05:48 PM
Goldspink was a scream on Saturday arvo. The funniest bit was when he'd given Bazza the 50, and Bazza leaned right up into the microphone and said "that's a load of @@@@". Goldspink replied, "it's not @@@@, it's fair dinkum".
I reckon all the umps should be miked up. Then they have to explain nice and loud for everyone to hear why they blew the whistle.
Carn Bloods.

nomae
14th August 2006, 05:53 PM
dont really know why anyone is complaining about the umpiring on saturday :confused: ... 17-14 their way... thats pretty much the best you'll get for the swans ;)