PDA

View Full Version : Reserves

EMJ
13th August 2006, 05:34 PM
Can anyone tell us how they went - particularly Davis and Crouch please.
Honestly would be good.

sfan
13th August 2006, 06:23 PM
Crouch was off at about the ten minute mark of the first quarter with what looked like a leg injury. Did not come back and had trouble getting into the coaches box in the stand after half time.

Davis was cleaned up very early in the first quarter and was very groggy for 10 minutes or so. I left at 3Q time and he had two or 3 three goals I think. He looked ok when he went to the mid field where he could link on the run. He kicking was a class above the rest and looked dangerous when he got the ball.

The ground was very bad/dry looking and looked like concrete. The scores were close at 3Q time.

hammo
13th August 2006, 06:42 PM
That's bad news about Crouch. Hopefully its not too serious.

ugg
13th August 2006, 08:24 PM
From sportingpulse (http://www.sportingpulse.com.au/round_info.cgi?action=MATCH&fixture=13953689&id=2349242&team=QUEANBEYAN%20TIGERS&client=%40AFL%20Canberra%401051%4040254%40%40%40%4 0%404%40AFL%20Canberra%20Premier%20Division%20Seni ors%401%40&r_type=1&pool=-1)

QUEANBEYAN TIGERS
Goal Kickers: M Armstrong 5; P Williams 4; L Ellis; R Quade
Best Players: R Jaques; M Daniher; R Quade; C Davis; J Gilbert; P Williams
SYDNEY SWANS
Goal Kickers: N Davis 3; A Eriksen 2; S Phillips 2,; TSchmidt 2; M Laidlaw; E Shaw; J Simpkin; L Vogels; J Willoughby
Best Players: K Thornton; N Davis; K Jack; D Spriggs; T Schmidt; J Simpkin

QUEANBEYAN TIGERS 2.3 7.5 10.7 11.8 (74)
SYDNEY SWANS 2.3 7.6 10.9 14.17 (101)

ROK Lobster
13th August 2006, 08:41 PM
Just spoke to a mate from work who was invloved with the QBN reserves match. He rang to let me know that:

Nick had a blinder
Queanbeyan are particularly dirty that they had to play against Nick and Crouch
They targeted both
Nick had a blinder
Nick worked hard all game, and showed real leadership amongst the boys
That Nick could have easilly kicked 6+ but handed many off; and
Nick had a blinder

Let's get him back where he belongs.

NMWBloods
13th August 2006, 08:54 PM
Good to see Davis play well in a Reserves game where his performance actually made some difference in the result.

Nico
13th August 2006, 09:57 PM
Thornton keeps getting in the best. Like the fact we have a tallish defender in the wings.

Simpkin bobbed up again and Schmidty kept his name at the top of the list.

Slick Swans
13th August 2006, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ugg

QUEANBEYAN TIGERS

Best Players: ; M Daniher; R Quade; C Davis; J Gilbert; P Williams

QUOTE]

Theres some familiar names there. Any relations?

Grant
13th August 2006, 10:35 PM
Thats exactly what i thought as soon as i saw it.Surely daniher and Quade would be relatives.

SimonH
13th August 2006, 11:19 PM
Either a sensational effort from Queanbeyan (who are cellar dwellers of the Canberra comp) or a pretty ordinary effort from our boys (or most of them).

I'm trusting that the SportingPulse best players are 'official' (i.e. handed out by the club). If so, Nicky D coming back this week has just gone from 95% likely to 100%.

Despite what Bomber Thompson was saying today, if Geelong beat us on the weekend coming, it'll be on for young and old to see who makes the final 8. Supposedly 'safe' contenders in the 8 are falling like nine-pins. Nicky D will be coming back for a huge game.

ugg
13th August 2006, 11:34 PM
Ryan Quade played for us last year as a supplementary list player and if my memory serves me correctly he is Rick's nephew.

Mitch Daniher's father is a first cousin of the Daniher brothers, so I believe that makes him a first cousin once removed?

Tuesday
14th August 2006, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by SimonH
Queanbeyan (who are cellar dwellers of the Canberra comp)

How can you label Queanbeyan that when they sit sixth on the table and 20 competition points clear of certain wooden spooners, Weston Creek?

ScottH
14th August 2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Just spoke to a mate from work who was invloved with the QBN reserves match. He rang to let me know that:

Nick had a blinder
Queanbeyan are particularly dirty that they had to play against Nick and Crouch
They targeted both
Nick had a blinder
Nick worked hard all game, and showed real leadership amongst the boys
That Nick could have easilly kicked 6+ but handed many off; and
Nick had a blinder

Let's get him back where he belongs. Did you wear your Save Nick t-Shirt??

sfan
14th August 2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Tuesday
How can you label Queanbeyan that when they sit sixth on the table and 20 competition points clear of certain wooden spooners, Weston Creek?

For the first 3Q's they played very well, were more physical and won the clearances i thought. They have a big ruckman who made his presence felt. The swans looked good running out of defence but fell down up forward early.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20116654-23211,00.html

goswannie14
14th August 2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by ugg
Mitch Daniher's father is a first cousin of the Daniher brothers, so I believe that makes him a first cousin once removed? Or second cousin.

ugg
14th August 2006, 10:45 AM
No, a second cousin is where you have the same greatgrandparents which is not the case here. That is, Mitch and the sons/daughters of the Daniher trio would be second cousins.

Agent 86
14th August 2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Let's get him back where he belongs.

Coach doesn't seem to think so... (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20116830%255E19773,00.html)

But Swans coach Paul Roos said there was no pressure on the reigning premier to bring Davis or Crouch back into the side immediately.

"It's a good position for us to be in," Roos said. "Certainly with Crouchy we'd traditionally rush him back into the team but there's not as much pressure to do that now.

"And with Davo, obviously with the forwards going well it makes it a little bit harder for him."

Swans exciting new forward prospect Heath Grundy is making it hard for Davis after another promising performance on Saturday.

Roos also expects premiership defender Ben Mathews, who is still recovering from a calf injury to figure in the selection equation just before the finals.
I hate to harp on it, but is all the Benny crap meant to rub ND's nose in it?

chammond
14th August 2006, 11:24 AM
Let me see if I've got this right -

Grundy kicks a "bag" virtually every game for the reserves; Davis does it once in 4 reserves games.

Davis kicks 18 goals in 12 senior games; Grundy kicks 7 in 4 games.

Davis has had 4 goalless games out of 12; Grundy has had 1 goalless game in 4.

We haven't lost a game with the current forward set-up.

I must have missed something . . . why do we need Davis?

NMWBloods
14th August 2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by chammond
I must have missed something . . . Yes... but you must be used to it by now...

ScottH
14th August 2006, 11:43 AM
This is why. (http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/wakeup-call-keeps-the-swans-dream-alive/2005/09/10/1125772731320.html)

ugg
14th August 2006, 11:44 AM

Grundy kicks a "bag" virtually every game for the reserves; Davis does it once in 4 reserves games.

We haven't lost a game with the current forward set-up.

I must have missed something . . . why do we need Davis?

That's somewhat fallacious as Davis plays more in the midfield in the reserves than he does in the seniors. In addition, Grundy plays exclusively in the forwards, but also as the main forward target.

That said, I would like to see Grundy still in the side as I think he takes pressure off of Hall and especially O'Loughlin. However with Doyle coming into the side, they might play him instead as the third tall as one Roosy quote this morning seemed to indicate.

Agent 86
14th August 2006, 11:44 AM
Let me see if I've got this right...I must have missed something...why do we need Davis?
'cos I'm feral. Oh, and the words "proven match winner".

Sanecow
14th August 2006, 11:45 AM

The Bloods ethos is not about who kicks the most goals.

:rolleyes:

stellation
14th August 2006, 11:51 AM

Grundy lines up at FF in the reserves with a purpose of kicking goals, I like the look of him there but he really is an old fashioned mark/shot on goal full-forward and doesn't look to set him teammates up. Davis lines up in the midfield in the reserves and is looking to setup teammates more than kick goals him self, he is still averaging 3.5 goals per game (across only 4, so not a great deal of value in the stats).

Davis has averaged 1.5 goals across a larger number of games whilst Grundy has averaged 1.75, it would be pretty naive to assume that averaging 1.75 in 4 games means you will kick 21 in 12.

3 of the games that Davis didn't kick a goal in were together in one slump, his other game was round 1 where he spent a fair bit of time in the midfield and had around 20 disposals.

I like Heath, but I don't think he and Davis are apples and apples. Can I ask why you didn't include disposals in the comparison?

chammond
14th August 2006, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
This is why. (http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/wakeup-call-keeps-the-swans-dream-alive/2005/09/10/1125772731320.html)

1 match-winning performance in 130 games???

Vogels has 1 match-winning performance in 11 games, and he's in the reserves!

Sanecow
14th August 2006, 11:57 AM
Let's not drop Grundy for Davis then, let's drop Magic.

stellation
14th August 2006, 11:58 AM
1 match-winning performance in 130 games???

Vogels has 1 match-winning performance in 11 games, and he's in the reserves!
If you are going to include Luke's game against the Bulldogs then Nick has a hell of a lot more than 1 match winning performance.

liz
14th August 2006, 12:01 PM
Doesn't all this mean that Davis is not really competing with Grundy for a spot? If Roos wants an additional tall forward target, Grundy is probably better placed to fufill that role than Davis. As suggested by someone else above, Grundy's ongoing presence in the team may be affected more by how they want to use Doyle when he's not rucking, rather than by the imminent return of Davis.

Is not much of the reason for Davis' fitness becoming such an issue because Roos wants him to play the HFF role more in the fashion of McVeigh and O'Keefe - ie pushing up and down the ground to create as well as to score goals? Indeed, I would suggest that it is McVeigh who has really stepped into the role that Davis should be playing.

I do think there's room in the team for both Davis and McVeigh, however.

caj23
14th August 2006, 12:06 PM
its getting tough now that richards has one decent game under his belt (and more brownie points with the coaches), dempster would be the unlucky one for mine

goswannie14
14th August 2006, 12:07 PM

Based on this argument we had better drop Ryan O'Keefe, he didn't kick a goal on the weekend.:rolleyes:

chammond
14th August 2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by stellation
Grundy lines up at FF in the reserves with a purpose of kicking goals, I like the look of him there but he really is an old fashioned mark/shot on goal full-forward and doesn't look to set him teammates up. Davis lines up in the midfield in the reserves and is looking to setup teammates more than kick goals him self, he is still averaging 3.5 goals per game (across only 4, so not a great deal of value in the stats).
[B]
Davis has averaged 1.5 goals across a larger number of games whilst Grundy has averaged 1.75, it would be pretty naive to assume that averaging 1.75 in 4 games means you will kick 21 in 12.
[B]
3 of the games that Davis didn't kick a goal in were together in one slump, his other game was round 1 where he spent a fair bit of time in the midfield and had around 20 disposals.

I like Heath, but I don't think he and Davis are apples and apples. Can I ask why you didn't include disposals in the comparison?

I've got no argument with anything you say, but we're talking about changing a winning side. There is nothing that suggests that Davis will improve the team enough to make the risk worthwhile. While I enjoy watching Davis play, I'm willing to forego that for as long as Grundy is doing his job.

Regarding possessions, you'd obviously have to compare "apples with apples". In terms of small utilities helping out through the midfield, O'Keefe, Schneider and McVeigh are better at that than Davis.

This season, it has been rare that Davis has been clearly in our best 22, including currently. Unless he does something "special" in the reserves, he shouldn't get a game in the seniors.

Sanecow
14th August 2006, 12:08 PM
Who will make way for Spriggs? He's back on the reserves best list after a week out (so that nobody can claim he's been on the list every game he plays, hmm?). Deserves a run in the seniors ahead of some of the coach's favourites.

Sanecow
14th August 2006, 12:10 PM
Regarding possessions, you'd obviously have to compare "apples with apples".

Oh, so now you want a fair comparison. :rolleyes:

ugg
14th August 2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Who will make way for Spriggs? He's back on the reserves best list after a week out (so that nobody can claim he's been on the list every game he plays, hmm?). Deserves a run in the seniors ahead of some of the coach's favourites.

Don't be un-Bloodslike. Spriggs is needed to ensure an AFL Canberra back-to-back. Its the Bloods way.

goswannie14
14th August 2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by ugg
Don't be un-Bloodslike. Spriggs is needed to ensure an AFL Canberra back-to-back. Its the Bloods way. Yep, sacrificing the individual for the team.;)

chammond
14th August 2006, 12:14 PM
If you are going to include Luke's game against the Bulldogs then Nick has a hell of a lot more than 1 match winning performance.

I am. He hasn't.

ugg
14th August 2006, 12:16 PM
The Canberra Times - Davis needs Roosy's thumb (http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=sport&subclass=afl&story_id=501780&category=Afl&m=8&y=2006)

Nick Davis says he's ready. His report card from yesterday's Sydney reserves match against Queanbeyan says he's ready. All that remains is a raised thumb from Swans senior coach Paul Roos.

Good article that describes in detail what Davis did yesterday.

goswannie14
14th August 2006, 12:16 PM
I am. He hasn't. Short memory? Collingwood a few years back. I think he did the same sort of "match winning" performance as the Vogels one you are referring too.

chammond
14th August 2006, 12:20 PM
Aha, I've worked out the code -

:rollseyes: means "I'm an obsessive poster who has nothng intelligent to say, and I'm determined to prove it"

Sanecow
14th August 2006, 12:22 PM
Aha, I've worked out the code -

:rollseyes: means "I'm an obsessive poster who has nothng intelligent to say, and I'm determined to prove it"

You selectively compared apples with oranges to make a "point" but then your complete lack of a point was revealed. Back pedalling like crazy, you cried "apples and oranges"! :rolleyes: is all your drivel deserved.

wheels27
14th August 2006, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE]Davis - among Sydney's best yesterday through hard work rather than his typical miracle-maker qualities - said after the match that he had patience to prove he deserved a senior spot.

"I'm just playing my role in this team and if I can get back into the ones I'll play my role there," Davis said.

"I've got my weight and fitness back so I'll just wait my turn and I'll be ready."
[QUOTE]

I hope this quote doesn't put in jeopardy any proposed recall, spoken to the media again, and the actual quote is about as inflammatory as the last ones, just appear much more politically correct in the context of this article.

Consistensy would demand he be further punished.

chammond
14th August 2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Short memory? Collingwood a few years back. I think he did the same sort of "match winning" performance as the Vogels one you are referring too.

I've got every game Davis has played for the Swans on tape. And I've got a good memory. If the game against "Collingwood a few years back" is all you can come up with, it tends to support my argument, doesn't it?

chammond
14th August 2006, 12:30 PM
You selectively compared apples with oranges to make a "point" but then your complete lack of a point was revealed. Back pedalling like crazy, you cried "apples and oranges"! :rolleyes: is all your drivel deserved.

like I said -

As always, you sit in the corner and sneer rather than add anything worth reading.

Still you can always blame the moderators for your shortcomings, can't you?

Sanecow
14th August 2006, 12:33 PM
I've got every game Davis has played for the Swans on tape. And I've got a good memory. If the game against "Collingwood a few years back" is all you can come up with, it tends to support my argument, doesn't it?

2 goals v Collingwood in a one point win, round 13 2005 was more of a match winning performance than anything Vogels could claim.

Sanecow
14th August 2006, 12:35 PM
like I said -

As always, you sit in the corner and sneer rather than add anything worth reading.

Still you can always blame the moderators for your shortcomings, can't you?

If you'd rather make personal attacks than back your ridiculous claims, that's fine, it reflects on you.

Agent 86
14th August 2006, 12:39 PM
Round 8 2006?

NMWBloods
14th August 2006, 12:58 PM
I've got no argument with anything you say, but we're talking about changing a winning side. There is nothing that suggests that Davis will improve the team enough to make the risk worthwhile. What risk? We might be winning matches, but the team still has a lot of improvement to do.

Claret
14th August 2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by wheels27
[QUOTE]Davis - among Sydney's best yesterday through hard work rather than his typical miracle-maker qualities - said after the match that he had patience to prove he deserved a senior spot.

"I'm just playing my role in this team and if I can get back into the ones I'll play my role there," Davis said.

"I've got my weight and fitness back so I'll just wait my turn and I'll be ready."
[QUOTE]

I hope this quote doesn't put in jeopardy any proposed recall, spoken to the media again, and the actual quote is about as inflammatory as the last ones, just appear much more politically correct in the context of this article.

I guess this proves that we shouldn't read too much into the written word. When I read this quote from Davo my immediate reaction was that it sounded like he had his backyard in order and was saying all the right things.

To me it sounded Bloods-like.

NMWBloods
14th August 2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Claret
To me it sounded Bloods-like. Yeah, I thought it was rather Stepford too...

wheels27
14th August 2006, 01:15 PM
It's easy to spin in any direction:

***********HYPOTHETICAL*************

Nick Davis, believing he is still unfairly treated by remaining in the reserves, slammed suggestions from coach Roos that form and fitness have kept him from a recall.

Despite Davis dominating for the undefeated Swans reserves in his enforced spell with the side, no indication has been given from Roos or the club on whether he remains in the selection frame for the defending premiers title defence.

Agent 86
14th August 2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Yeah, I thought it was rather Stepford too...
Now there's a conspiracy...

Legs Akimbo
14th August 2006, 01:20 PM

[QUOTE]

No - he is saying all the right things. The brain washing process is almost complete.

ROK Lobster
14th August 2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Legs Akimbo
No - he is saying all the right things. The brain washing process is almost complete. The process only Schauble could resist.

ScottH
14th August 2006, 01:29 PM
1 match-winning performance in 130 games??? 2 actually, he did it for the pies one year.

stellation
14th August 2006, 01:37 PM
It's easy to spin in any direction:

Nick Davis, believing he is still unfairly treated by remaining in the reserves, slammed suggestions from coach Roos that form and fitness have kept him from a recall.

Despite Davis dominating for the undefeated Swans reserves in his enforced spell with the side, no indication has been given from Roos or the club on whether he remains in the selection frame for the defending premiers title defence.

From the same article as Nick's quote...
Jonas said. "It's fitness and form but he's got back some good form, he's dropped some weight and his fitness is up, so he'll certainly be looked at for selection next week."

Put in a bit more effort and you might give an initial run as a receptionist at Prentiss McCabe ;)

wheels27
14th August 2006, 01:44 PM
Jonas said. "It's fitness and form but he's got back some good form, he's dropped some weight and his fitness is up, so he'll certainly be looked at for selection next week."

Put in a bit more effort and you might give an initial run as a receptionist at Prentiss McCabe ;)

That actually is my point, that by extending some, and ignoring other quotes, a non-story can be made controversial. (not the case here, or probably even with a lot of the Davis articles, but there is always scope for it to happen)

Loved the "disease" they created to manufacture a public awareness and comeback campaign for a client, resulting in deaths across Britain, that show is spun gold!

I only wish I knew a few more of their Britain specific references, I think I'm actually missing quite a bit that I don't even notice.

Agent 86
14th August 2006, 01:46 PM
Loved the "disease" they created to manufacture a public awareness and comeback campaign for a client, resulting in deaths across Britain, that show is spun gold!

I only wish I knew a few more of their Britain specific references, I think I'm actually missing quite a bit that I don't even notice.
But you're from Liverpool?

wheels27
14th August 2006, 01:53 PM
The one without the Beatles, although I think we may have unleashed Vanessa Amarossi on the world :eek:

goswannie14
14th August 2006, 01:57 PM
I've got every game Davis has played for the Swans on tape. And I've got a good memory. If the game against "Collingwood a few years back" is all you can come up with, it tends to support my argument, doesn't it? Not really, that was just off the top of the head without having a ready library to refer to.

It actually dispells your argument as you stated he only had one match winning performance in his 130 games.

Sanecow
14th August 2006, 02:14 PM
Speaking of fruit salad, Davis has 28 tackles from 12 games this year for over two tackles a game (his career best for any season and a bit of an indicator that he can rightly feel badly done by) and not one game without a tackle stat. Grundy has four from four games including two "couldn't be bothered chasing" performances.

Agent 86
14th August 2006, 03:34 PM

Idea for series 2... (http://home.exetel.com.au/feralswan/)

Snowy
14th August 2006, 04:33 PM
I've got no argument with anything you say, but we're talking about changing a winning side. There is nothing that suggests that Davis will improve the team enough to make the risk worthwhile. While I enjoy watching Davis play, I'm willing to forego that for as long as Grundy is doing his job.

Regarding possessions, you'd obviously have to compare "apples with apples". In terms of small utilities helping out through the midfield, O'Keefe, Schneider and McVeigh are better at that than Davis.

This season, it has been rare that Davis has been clearly in our best 22, including currently. Unless he does something "special" in the reserves, he shouldn't get a game in the seniors.

Except save the West Coast the opposition has been relatively poor the last month or so. As for Davis and matchwinning games, he's had a few. I would hazard a guess that not many players, short of key forwards have ones you would consider matchwinning anyway, especially in Bloods parlance where it's a team, or group performance. But go back to 2000, the penultimate round when Collingwood played the Kangas. He had 30 touches and 4 goals, including the last couple of goals of the match which were from outside 50 and tough set shots. That's when he first really came under the radar. And I believe over his career he has often had the knack of kicking timely goals, often great snaps etc. when required.

As for Liz's suggestion that Grundy and Davis aren't playing the same role, it may have some merit but I would be surprised if a Davis couldn't play the 'tall' role as well, or if he did you would expect his output not to be any less than Grundy's. Hall, MOL and a resting ruckman should be enough tall firepower up forward, though MOL's contribution has been fairly patchy this year but he still requires minding. I believe Grundy got a game based on consistently good performances in the reserves, not necessarily because the coaches wanted another tall. It can stretch the opposition defence, but so can blokes who can mark and perform well at ground level.

caj23
14th August 2006, 04:40 PM
i dont believe that davis will necessarily come in to the team at the expense of grundy, more likely to be bevan or dempster

SimonH
14th August 2006, 07:02 PM
Speaking of fruit salad, Davis has 28 tackles from 12 games this year for over two tackles a game (his career best for any season and a bit of an indicator that he can rightly feel badly done by) and not one game without a tackle stat. Grundy has four from four games including two "couldn't be bothered chasing" performances. I'm not playing favourites in this little game, and yes, Grundy's second efforts when he hasn't got the ball reek a little bit of the '1980s big forward' syndrome on occasion (i.e not my problem once the ball hits the ground). But honestly, if you were composing yearly stats on 'couldn't be bothered chasing' efforts, don't you think Nicky would be a teensy bit over two?

As others have said:
a) Grundy plays a different role in the team from Nick. Whether Nick might conceivably change his game to be more like Grundy is a moot point.
b) the selection committee clearly does not select on a 'bring in like for like' basis. Doyle was brought in, and two of the shortest and smallest guys in the team were omitted. Good game last couple of weeks, but Bevan would have to be the highest risk for the chop if Nicky gets a go.

Sanecow
14th August 2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by SimonH
honestly, if you were composing yearly stats on 'couldn't be bothered chasing' efforts, don't you think Nicky would be a teensy bit over two?

He's only gone tackle-less (so to speak) in six games since round one, 2005 and they were all in 2005. Traditionally he has had some lean periods (2 tackles in 11 games for Collingwood) but I think he is a victim of his reputation in this regard.

Ironically the only game he hasn't laid a tackle in the past 18 was v Geelong in the finals :D

Source (http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/N/Nick_Davis.html)

DST
14th August 2006, 08:25 PM
Davis being dropped has more to do with him not being fit enough to have a run in the midfield when required and also not being capable of pushing himself back into defence and then being useful going the other way, instead blowing up like a puffer fish (see exhibit A, Vogels for evidence of what is required by the coaching staff).

Yes forward line pressure is needed as well and Davis can tackle as per the statistics, but that is not what he is being judged on in this situation.

Add the above to his lack of an effort to adhere to team rules and you make yourself a very easy target to be dealt with by the group.

DST
:D

NMWBloods
14th August 2006, 08:26 PM
If he was so unfit, why was Davis getting as many minutes as most other players?

Snowy
14th August 2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by DST
Davis being dropped has more to do with him not being fit enough to have a run in the midfield when required and also not being capable of pushing himself back into defence and then being useful going the other way, instead blowing up like a puffer fish (see exhibit A, Vogels for evidence of what is required by the coaching staff).

Yes forward line pressure is needed as well and Davis can tackle as per the statistics, but that is not what he is being judged on in this situation.

Add the above to his lack of an effort to adhere to team rules and you make yourself a very easy target to be dealt with by the group.

DST
:D
You would have to think the team rules issue was the biggest factor. Is MOL really fit enough to put up the field? Does Grundy? You might suggest that they play different roles but in reality Davis was kicking or threatening to kick, as many goals from limited opportunities and his stats were at least as good. I think that Roos should have just said from the outset that it was non-football related because it's hard to justify on the score of form.

Indications are he could return this week but definitely not Crouch.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=98715

elroy67
14th August 2006, 10:00 PM
I would have thought that the most likely player to make way for Davis this week (if it happens) would be Fosdike.

Not for reasons of form, but that pretty nasty bump to the head. While it didn't seem to knock him out, he was certainly very groggy making his way around the boundary. A weeks rest may be timely.

Did anyone see him at the post match?