PDA

View Full Version : Fox Footy (mega merged thread)

swantastic
23rd August 2006, 04:28 PM
The end for Fox Footy is near,at the end of the year.So whos going to show the interstate games then?

wheels27
23rd August 2006, 04:37 PM
Are there no details as yet regarding what Seven's plan is?

I assume they will be covering all the games, and broadcast each to the appropriate market.

I thought that they would make some kind of deal with Foxtel, though. I haven't had Fox for a while, but I heard there will be a fox sports 3, which will have AFL plus other sports, so not 24hr AFL.

As I said, I don't really know, but will be interested to see what happens.

swantastic
23rd August 2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by wheels27
Are there no details as yet regarding what Seven's plan is?

I assume they will be covering all the games, and broadcast each to the appropriate market.

I thought that they would make some kind of deal with Foxtel, though. I haven't had Fox for a while, but I heard there will be a fox sports 3, which will have AFL plus other sports, so not 24hr AFL.

As I said, I don't really know, but will be interested to see what happens. 7(@@@@s)will shaft us,like they did with soccar:mad: :mad: :mad:

The Boot
23rd August 2006, 05:45 PM
Yes it smacks of the kid who hasnt got his way (NEIN) taking the bat & ball and going home. Alternatively, it might have something to do with $780M and how they get it back - so we have to sit through the interminable dribble of ads inbetween goals. i always thought that having Fox allowed one to watch a game LIVE or on repeat all the way through - and being able to listen to the commentary. Obviously the biggest news story of the week .. and what a big week it has been .. Eddie .. (and by the way, thanks for nothing)!

I had planned to get cable after years of enduring the commercials .. but now .. <merde> .. will have to wait and see.

goswannie14
23rd August 2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by The Boot
Yes it smacks of the kid who hasnt got his way (NEIN) taking the bat & ball and going home. Alternatively, it might have something to do with $780M and how they get it back - so we have to sit through the interminable dribble of ads inbetween goals. i always thought that having Fox allowed one to watch a game LIVE or on repeat all the way through - and being able to listen to the commentary. Obviously the biggest news story of the week .. and what a big week it has been .. Eddie .. (and by the way, thanks for nothing)!

I had planned to get cable after years of enduring the commercials .. but now .. <merde> .. will have to wait and see. Hmmm, I never knew that Nine owned Foxtel. You learm something new every day.

NMWBloods
23rd August 2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
Hmmm, I never knew that Nine owned Foxtel. You learm something new every day. Foxtel is 50% owned by Telstra, 25% by News Corp (Murdoch) and 25% by PBL (which owns Nine).

Captain
23rd August 2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by The Boot

I had planned to get cable after years of enduring the commercials .. but now .. <merde> .. will have to wait and see.

I know it's late in the day and I'm tired from working too hard but what the hell are you on about dude?

giant
23rd August 2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Foxtel is 50% owned by Telstra, 25% by News Corp (Murdoch) and 25% by PBL (which owns Nine).

As I understand it, FF is owned by Fox Sports which is in turn owned 50/50 between News & PBL. This has been the source of great amusement/consternation in the Ch 7 litigation as various details of the skullduggery conducted by Fox Sports unto Foxtel have come out.

goswannie14
23rd August 2006, 07:00 PM
Foxtel is 50% owned by Telstra, 25% by News Corp (Murdoch) and 25% by PBL (which owns Nine). Ok thanks for that.

hammo
23rd August 2006, 07:21 PM
It just means there will be no dedicated AFL channel unfortunately. Obviously with the season coming to a close the owners feel there is too much money on salaries etc likely to be wasted over summer without knowing what will happen next year. It means people like Clinton, Tiff etc will get the chop.

My bet is on a Fox Sports 3 showing AFL next year.

We DON'T want ESPN to get it (they are apparently interested) as that would mean extra subscription fees.

I am fairly sure the broadcast agreement with the AFL is for ALL 8 games to be broadcast in each market (including live on Friday night in Sydney) so some Pay TV involvement is necessary (unless 7 can offload to SBS or ABC which is very unlikely due to cash constraints).

Personally I feel going back to 7 is a disaster for Sydney viewers and that's saying something considering what we have now. But time will tell.

nomae
23rd August 2006, 07:47 PM
RIP fox footy channel. we will miss you :(
bluddy 7 and ten! :mad:

Old Dragon
23rd August 2006, 08:48 PM
You can ring Fox Footy on 131999 to complain about the removal of the Fox Footy Channel decision. You can even suggest you will terminate your subscription. Alternatively you can ring the AFL on 0396431999 to complain or seeing that Foxtel is 50% owned by Telstra, ring or write to your local federal member.

And that my friend is why we have to keep Telstra in government hands!

Damien
23rd August 2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by nomae
RIP fox footy channel. we will miss you :(
bluddy 7 and ten! :mad:

Can't put all the blame on 7 and 10.

Foxtel were willing to pay Nine over 60 million for four games, but it is said they only offered 17 million to 7/10 for three games. You can't blame 7 and 10 for knocking it back.

Foxtel has wanted to get rid of Fox Footy for ages, it does nothing for them in Summer so this is just great timing to close it down and blame 7 and 10 in the process.

Foxtel want the AFL on Fox Sports 3, what else are they going to use it for in Winter?

ScottH
23rd August 2006, 08:59 PM
Doubt it will change their minds. Channel 7 and 10 had more to do with it than Foxtel.

goswannie14
23rd August 2006, 09:05 PM
7 and 10 have to palm some of them off to another network, otherwise they will have to telecast all 8 games each week on free to air tv.

Damien
23rd August 2006, 09:08 PM
7 and 10 have to palm some of them off to another network, otherwise they will have to telecast all 8 games each week on free to air tv.

Which they could do easily, just means they go into competition with each other on Saturday and Sundays.

Foxtel will end up with the games, I am positive of that, I imagine they will lose a fair few subscriptions without AFL.

Sanecow
23rd August 2006, 09:10 PM
Will every game be screened in every state? What were the terms of the deal?

Damien
23rd August 2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Will every game be screened in every state? What were the terms of the deal?

Yeah from what I have read, every game must be shown in every state inluding NSW/QLD with the allowance for up to 4 games to be on Pay TV.

Options to also on-sell Friday Night for NSW/QLD to another station or Pay TV provider.

goswannie14
23rd August 2006, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Damien
Which they could do easily, just means they go into competition with each other on Saturday and Sundays.

Foxtel will end up with the games, I am positive of that, I imagine they will lose a fair few subscriptions without AFL. I agree with you on that, I don't see all games being on free to air...unfortunately.

Damien
23rd August 2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Old Dragon
You can ring Fox Footy on 131999 to complain about the removal of the Fox Footy Channel decision. You can even suggest you will terminate your subscription. Alternatively you can ring the AFL on 0396431999 to complain or seeing that Foxtel is 50% owned by Telstra, ring or write to your local federal member.

And that my friend is why we have to keep Telstra in government hands!

not a bad idea, not sure it will do anything but they don't need to close it, if they do a deal with 7/10 there would be no need to close the station.

Think minds are mind up though!

nomae
23rd August 2006, 09:55 PM
Can't put all the blame on 7 and 10.

Foxtel were willing to pay Nine over 60 million for four games, but it is said they only offered 17 million to 7/10 for three games. You can't blame 7 and 10 for knocking it back.

Foxtel has wanted to get rid of Fox Footy for ages, it does nothing for them in Summer so this is just great timing to close it down and blame 7 and 10 in the process.

Foxtel want the AFL on Fox Sports 3, what else are they going to use it for in Winter?
yeah good explanation- i was ignorant :p, but ill still miss it!!!
does anyone know whats happening with friday night games in sydney next year and beyond???

Old Royboy
23rd August 2006, 11:21 PM
Anybody remember a Pay station called C7? I wonder if it's to be exhumed.

573v30
23rd August 2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Old Royboy
Anybody remember a Pay station called C7? I wonder if it's to be exhumed. Yes, but very vaguely... :rolleyes:

peterh_oz
23rd August 2006, 11:38 PM
Foxtel is 50% owned by Telstra, 25% by News Corp (Murdoch) and 25% by PBL (which owns Nine).

And Fox Sports is 50% PBL & 50% NewsCorp.

peterh_oz
23rd August 2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by nomae
does anyone know whats happening with friday night games in sydney next year and beyond???

LIVE - it is written in the contract that they must be LIVE throughout NSW/Qld. Whether it is on 7 (I doubt it) or on a cable channel (probably FS3 but possibly ESPN) is yet to be decided. However with the programs being planned out months in advance, they'd better pull their finger out & make a decision!

peterh_oz
23rd August 2006, 11:45 PM
Minds are made up, HOWEVER there is another big fight to be had:

White Line Fever
On The Couch
League Teams
Headliners

etc

These shows MUST be kept at ALL costs! I hope people realise just how important they are, especialy for us northerners. And what about Darwin, which only has ch 7 & 9, not ch 10?

ESPN is NOT an option unless it becomes WIDE SCREEN and also in the basic package!

BeeEmmAre
24th August 2006, 01:07 AM
Devastating. In more ways than one.

BeeEmmAre
24th August 2006, 01:10 AM
Devastating. In more ways than one.

Captain
24th August 2006, 09:01 AM
It's a disgrace that this is happened.

I blame the AFL for being greedy, we might get more game coverage but are going to lose nightly shows like WLF as well as On the Couch/League Teams etc.

Foxtel are wan*kers as well (I mean seriously it took them like 4 months to install my Foxtel and after all that they cancel fox footy).

Captain
24th August 2006, 09:03 AM
If there are no more games on fox next year I will be cancelling for sure. The rest of the channels are rubbish.

swantastic
24th August 2006, 09:07 AM
Just another bull@@@@ (http://foxtel.com.au/209_5256.htm) explination:mad:

cruiser
24th August 2006, 10:02 AM
I imagine they will lose a fair few subscriptions without AFL. Damn right. I was beside myself last night when it was announced on White Line Fever. I only had Foxtel installed 6 weeks ago because I wanted Fox Footy. I was fed up with the lack of AFL news in Sydney, not so much about the Swans (which is also poor) but about everything and everyone else. I will be cancelling the Fox Sports package on October 2nd and cancelling my sub to Foxtel as soon as my 12 months is up (bloody July next year!). Not happy Jan!!!!

ScottH
24th August 2006, 10:16 AM
May not be all bad news. Link (http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/afl/sbs-courted-for-afl-role/2006/08/23/1156012609284.html)

EVERY AFL match could be televised on free-to-air television next year under a radical realignment of the broadcasting rights.

The AFL's new media consortium, comprising channels Seven and Ten, is believed to have unofficially turned to SBS to televise Friday night football live into Sydney and Brisbane, and has drawn up a schedule to split the AFL coverage into Melbourne.
EVERY AFL MATCH on FTA!!

Hot Damn!

goswannie14
24th August 2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
May not be all bad news. Link (http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/afl/sbs-courted-for-afl-role/2006/08/23/1156012609284.html)

EVERY AFL MATCH on FTA!!

Hot Damn! demetriou just confirmed this on ABC radio about 5 minutes ago.:D :D :D YOU BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goswannie14
24th August 2006, 10:24 AM
Demetriou confirmed that as it stands, all 8 games will be "live" (whatever that means) to air on free to air tv from next season. At times this will mean that 7 and 10 will have to go head to head.

It's all good news!!!:D :D :D

cruiser
24th August 2006, 10:33 AM
OK, so we get Friday night footy live in Sydney but what about the rest of the games? What about On the Couch, White Line Fever etc? For those of us who live north of Wagga Wagga it'll be back to the days of relying on the Internet for all our AFL news. :mad:

Mike_B
24th August 2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by cruiser
OK, so we get Friday night footy live in Sydney but what about the rest of the games? What about On the Couch, White Line Fever etc? For those of us who live north of Wagga Wagga it'll be back to the days of relying on the Internet for all our AFL news. :mad:

Yep, that is the bigger issue for me as well. I don't get a chance to watch all 8 games on a weekend, but usually catch 4-5, so that won't change. It's more the daily news and issues going on as a whole that I will miss because that's where I get most benefit. And of course the other thing is that the shows they have on FTA at the moment are total and utter garbage.

I don't see how they will be able to keep something like WLF going without FFC (no way they'll give up a one hour prime time slot every night), but hopefully they can find a way to have the once a week shows kept in some form or another (although this would have to be on Fox for the same prime time reasons).

Jude4eva
24th August 2006, 11:48 AM
What are we all complaining about i read in the paper this morning if they do come to agreement after they close they will introduce Fox Sports 3

also Fox have had this coming its called Karma for the stuff that went down to do with C7 which is still in the courts!

cruiser
24th August 2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Woodsy
I agree, the new deal is a great result for footy.

At the moment we have self-interest from Clinton and some of his B-grade journo New Ltd mates distorting the truth.

I would love it, absolutely love it, if ALL AFL was on free-to-air. I am sure that On the Couch and some of the better shows would be picked up - OK it may be a bit later in Sydney but for mine that is a small price to pay for Eddie Macguire being out of the braodcasting and for Uncle Rupert to lose his control too. I am very doubtful that this will be a good deal for anyone living north of Wagga Wagga. I'll walk to Melbourne and back if we get 8 games live into Sydney each weekend. I'll walk to Adelaide and back if we get the footy chat shows on during peak viewing times. I can understand why southerners are happy but its probably gonna suck for the rest of us.

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th August 2006, 12:24 PM
Demetriou confirmed that as it stands, all 8 games will be "live" (whatever that means) to air on free to air tv from next season. At times this will mean that 7 and 10 will have to go head to head.

It's all good news!!!:D :D :D

Da AFL foody kulcha on SBS, f*rken! :eek: :D

Can you imagine the great Laszlo comparing AFL?!

JF

Dave
24th August 2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG

JF

Comparing it to what?

Layby
24th August 2006, 12:30 PM
JF

to what ?

Dave
24th August 2006, 12:33 PM
All I really want is Fri night footy live plus at least one Sat AND Sun game live. And any Swans game live of course.

If this is what's going to happen, then this is great.

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th August 2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Jude4eva
What are we all complaining about i read in the paper this morning if they do come to agreement after they close they will introduce Fox Sports 3

also Fox have had this coming its called Karma for the stuff that went down to do with C7 which is still in the courts!

People in futbol circles are thrilled about Fox Footy being replaced by Fox Sports 3.
http://www.sydneyfc-unofficial.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9423

I get the impression that it will be more futbol-oriented than AFL. Fox have nabbed Andy Harper & Simon Hill to beef up their A-League coverage as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens for sure. (especially if I'm in Brisbane next year!)

JF

cruiser
24th August 2006, 01:03 PM
Hellooooooo - we do not get anything near that now so I fail to see how the moral highj ground can be taken by Fox Your post makes no sense. This thread is about losing Fox Footy so what are you referring to?

cruiser
24th August 2006, 01:07 PM
People in futbol circles are thrilled about Fox Footy being replaced by Fox Sports 3.
http://www.sydneyfc-unofficial.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9423

I get the impression that it will be more futbol-oriented than AFL. Fox have nabbed Andy Harper & Simon Hill to beef up their A-League coverage as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens for sure. (especially if I'm in Brisbane next year!)

JF Why even bother linking us to this? I cannot understand why anyone following another code would take delight out of this - what's it to them? Proves to me what wankers some Sydney FC fans are and makes me hope even more that the Mariners crush them on Sunday for being such dikheads.

goswannie14
24th August 2006, 01:10 PM

So..... why are you slitting your wrists re Fox Footy? Wouldn't you when you had just signed a 12 month contract for 24/7 footy and Foxtel then cancel the station that you signed up to watch?

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th August 2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Comparing it to what?

Being the host, introducing games etc etc.

JF

Dave
24th August 2006, 01:21 PM
Being the host, introducing games etc etc.

JF

You mean compereing!

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th August 2006, 01:24 PM
Why even bother linking us to this? I cannot understand why anyone following another code would take delight out of this - what's it to them? Proves to me what wankers some Sydney FC fans are and makes me hope even more that the Mariners crush them on Sunday for being such dikheads.

It is VERY VERY relevant, because it refers to the overall programming of Fox Sports & Fox Footy being replaced by a new more general Fox Sports 3. The marketplace is such that the codes are increasingly becoming competitive with another in terms of space within the Foxtel set-up.

I read the report in the Herald today. It all comes across as so convaluted and complicated. By keeping AFL footy on free-to-air they are basically saying that Australian Rules footy is not a Pay Tv product at all.

I can't say I'd be rushing out to get Foxtel if they canned Fox Footy to be honest. Even if I'd like it because of the A_League Champions League & future Socceroos matches.

JF

PS:- As regards your Salty Dogs, we shall see re Sunday as well! ;)

Damien
24th August 2006, 01:47 PM
If AFL becomes an exclusive FTA sport next year (and to me that is still a big if) - and it works in terms of revenue etc, the AFL would become the envy of all sports in the world.

$780 million and you get every game made available to every Australian?!!! How brilliant is that.

Agent 86
24th August 2006, 01:47 PM
Footy channel axing piles pressure on broadcasters (http://www.7sport.com.au/Default.aspx?category=SP&sport=ARF&module=ARTICLE&providerId=1&articleId=36217)

goswannie14
24th August 2006, 01:49 PM
I read the report in the Herald today. It all comes across as so convaluted and complicated. By keeping AFL footy on free-to-air they are basically saying that Australian Rules footy is not a Pay Tv product at all.
No, thank goodness for that, it's the peoples game, always has been, hopefully always will be.

hammo
24th August 2006, 02:16 PM
demetriou just confirmed this on ABC radio about 5 minutes ago.:D :D :D YOU BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't get too excited (unless you are in Melbourne).

This will be a massive setback for the game in NSW. The TV stations can get around their contract by showing Saturday night games for example at midnight.

We will not get live FTA coverage of the Sunday twighlight game either which would have been shown on Fox. For 7 or 10 that would mean running into prime time on Sunday - their buggest audience and you can guarantee NO ONE will be watching AFL.

As far as I'm aware the only guarantee is that there will be live coverage of the Friday night game in Sydney (if its FTA this will be on SBS). All the others may be shown but in which timeslot who knows.

7 and 10 will have rocks in their heads if they go head to head on Saturday arvo, night and Sundays as it splits the audience. Hence why they both NEED Foxtel. The disaster this would mean for their ratings in Sydney (if shown live in prime time) would be astronomical.

I agree with the commentary that this was Kerry Packer's final act of bastardry to Channel 7 & in particular 10 for screwing 9 over the AFL. He forced them to pay way too much, in the end knowing it would come back to bite them big time if Foxtel didn't play ball.

The big fella would be loving it but in the process he has screwed Sydney AFL fans.

hammo
24th August 2006, 02:32 PM
I am very doubtful that this will be a good deal for anyone living north of Wagga Wagga. I'll walk to Melbourne and back if we get 8 games live into Sydney each weekend. I'll walk to Adelaide and back if we get the footy chat shows on during peak viewing times. I can understand why southerners are happy but its probably gonna suck for the rest of us.
I'll join you on the walk, cruiser.

If anyone in Sydney is rejoicing over this then they have no idea about how badly we are about to get screwed.

Currently we get 3 live games on Fox plus Friday night a bit earlier than on 9.

Next year we know Friday night will be live somewhere. If it's free to air it will be on SBS by the sounds of it. Otherwise it would have been on Foxtel.

7 & 10 may decide to go head to head on a Saturday afternoon and both kill off their ratings - this is dumb business but I guess they have no choice.

They WON'T do this on Saturday night (unless the Swans are playing). The earliest we could expect the Sat night games being shown is 10.30. So Sat night becomes an AFL blackout in Sydney once again.

The Sunday afternoon games - who knows. I'd expect we'd get one live but doesn't 10 show motorsport??

The Sunday twilight game (intended for live on pay) we'd be lucky to get before midnight considering it runs into the biggest TV night of the week.

Plus we miss out on the replays, talk shows, AFL news.

So we get 4 live (5 if Swans play) MAX next year (Fri night, Sat arvo x2, poss Sat night, Sunday arvo) compared to the 5 we get currently.

If Foxtel still has some matches next year we would get 8 live in Sydney.

As I said in the other thread, Kerry Packer would be laughing.

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th August 2006, 02:39 PM
If AFL becomes an exclusive FTA sport next year (and to me that is still a big if) - and it works in terms of revenue etc, the AFL would become the envy of all sports in the world.

$780 million and you get every game made available to every Australian?!!! How brilliant is that.

People 1-0(6) Murdoch and his right-wing facists 0-1(1). :D

JF

hammo
24th August 2006, 02:47 PM
It is VERY VERY relevant, because it refers to the overall programming of Fox Sports & Fox Footy being replaced by a new more general Fox Sports 3. The marketplace is such that the codes are increasingly becoming competitive with another in terms of space within the Foxtel set-up.

I don't know of too many people who'd be rushing out to sign up for Foxtel on the basis of watching the A-league or Sydney FC playing some Kuwaiti club side.

AFL was a driver for subscriptions in WA, SA, VIC and TAS so they will probably see a lot of cancellations.

NRL is the main driver for subscriptions in NSW & QLD but hardly going to interest those AFL states.

punter257
24th August 2006, 03:09 PM
if all the games are on FTA it means that we would only get about 3 games live (in perth) and thats @@@@ - the chances of a swans game live would be very low :mad:

Agent 86
24th August 2006, 03:11 PM
This might be a stupid question, but is there any chance in future that different content could be broadcast on FTA HD digital channels? Right now each station's content is simulcast on their digital channel allocations, so what's to stop Channel 7, say, broadcasting AFL on one channel & whatever lifestyle crap they usually show on another (apart from Helen Coonan) - i.e. in much the same way as ABC2?

Sanecow
24th August 2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by punter257
if all the games are on FTA it means that we would only get about 3 games live (in perth) and thats @@@@ - the chances of a swans game live would be very low :mad:

It's a massive time saver when we lose though. :p

JF_Bay22_SCG
24th August 2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by hammo
I don't know of too many people who'd be rushing out to sign up for Foxtel on the basis of watching the A-league or Sydney FC playing some Kuwaiti club side.

AFL was a driver for subscriptions in WA, SA, VIC and TAS so they will probably see a lot of cancellations.

NRL is the main driver for subscriptions in NSW & QLD but hardly going to interest those AFL states.

True. This was one of the reasons the Western Reds & Adelaide Rams were done away with so ruthlessly; because there was little return for News Limited in terms of increased Foxtel subscriptions in both SA & WA as a result of them being in existance.

The A League apparently has rated very well. Fox were surprised at its ratings & have beefed up its coverage. Let's face it, if you don't like cricket & basketball the A League is it in summer. And football of all the world sports has a huge latent audience (especially on Fox due to its EPL coverage).

JF

cruiser
24th August 2006, 03:35 PM
It makes perfect sense - you have stated that we will not get 8 livbe games next year (as a result of losing Fox Footy I assume). I have stated that with Fox Footy Channel this year the service to NSW was still appalling.

So..... why are you slitting your wrists re Fox Footy? Adding Fox Footy to the FTA broadcasts I dont think its appalling at all. Actually, I think its almost brilliant, my only gripe being that Friday night is still delayed, although only til 9.30 rather than 11.30. What makes you think its appalling?

cruiser
24th August 2006, 04:34 PM
Exactly what you have said Peanuthead , that the Friday night game is delayed until 11.30...... Excuse me, I said it starts on Foxtel at 9.30 on a Friday. That's better than 11.30. Its also repeated again on Saturday morning. What is it you dont understand here? Do you actually have any idea what is broadcast when on Fox Footy?

Damien
24th August 2006, 06:48 PM

7 and 10 will have rocks in their heads if they go head to head on Saturday arvo, night and Sundays as it splits the audience. Hence why they both NEED Foxtel. The disaster this would mean for their ratings in Sydney (if shown live in prime time) would be astronomical.

There would be an audience for both though - or there is no point Foxtel getting the games anyway.

I don't think head to head games on FTA are the way to go, but it may prove to be a success, the ratings on Fox Footy are quite good, so if you open that particular game up to the greater FTA audience you could get very interesting results in the AFL states.

The issues for the networks will obviously be what games go head to head. 10 might have Freo V Crows which will rate the house down in WA/SA and 7 might have Essendon V Sydney which would win Victoria and likely the neutral states also.

What it might be great for if this scenario plays out is a lot more attention to detail in terms of production and commentary. Competition often does wonders!

peterh_oz
24th August 2006, 07:02 PM
It makes perfect sense - you have stated that we will not get 8 livbe games next year (as a result of losing Fox Footy I assume). I have stated that with Fox Footy Channel this year the service to NSW was still appalling.

The service was good - every possible game was live. 9 & 10 didn't allow ALL games to be live, but FFC did as many as they could.

Don't blame them for 9.30 Fridays - blame 9. Or blame the AFL for signing the original contract!

The only problem with FFC is/was he crap commentary - especially on Sat nights. Mathew. Campbell. Can't. Create. A. Sentence. He. Commentates. One. Word. At. A. Time.

peterh_oz
24th August 2006, 07:03 PM
Wouldn't you when you had just signed a 12 month contract for 24/7 footy and Foxtel then cancel the station that you signed up to watch?

I'd be cancelling because they are not offering the service you signed for. I reckon you WOULD have a leg to stand on in court too!

peterh_oz
24th August 2006, 07:14 PM
I'll join you on the walk, cruiser.

If anyone in Sydney is rejoicing over this then they have no idea about how badly we are about to get screwed.

Currently we get 3 live games on Fox plus Friday night a bit earlier than on 9.

Next year we know Friday night will be live somewhere. If it's free to air it will be on SBS by the sounds of it. Otherwise it would have been on Foxtel.

7 & 10 may decide to go head to head on a Saturday afternoon and both kill off their ratings - this is dumb business but I guess they have no choice.

They WON'T do this on Saturday night (unless the Swans are playing). The earliest we could expect the Sat night games being shown is 10.30. So Sat night becomes an AFL blackout in Sydney once again.

The Sunday afternoon games - who knows. I'd expect we'd get one live but doesn't 10 show motorsport??

The Sunday twilight game (intended for live on pay) we'd be lucky to get before midnight considering it runs into the biggest TV night of the week.

Plus we miss out on the replays, talk shows, AFL news.

So we get 4 live (5 if Swans play) MAX next year (Fri night, Sat arvo x2, poss Sat night, Sunday arvo) compared to the 5 we get currently.

If Foxtel still has some matches next year we would get 8 live in Sydney.

As I said in the other thread, Kerry Packer would be laughing.

For all that to happen, the AFL would have to back down on their contact. It says EVERY game LIVE. A delay is allowed in the home market (and also in Perth due to the time difference) but that is all.

7.30pm Fridays.
2pm or 4pm Sat (depending on location of game)
7pm Sat
2pm Sunday
ALL LIVE ON 7

2pm Sat
7pm Sat
1pm Sun
4.30pm Sun
ALL LIVE ON 10

If I was the V8's I'd be very worried about all this. And its their fault for jumping to 7 in the first place.

giant
24th August 2006, 07:29 PM
Beg to differ Peter - nowhere has there been any confirmation that 7 and 10 are obliged to show all 8 games live into Sydney & Brisbane.

And frankly for the various reasons noted it won't happen.

hammo
24th August 2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by giant
Beg to differ Peter - nowhere has there been any confirmation that 7 and 10 are obliged to show all 8 games live into Sydney & Brisbane.

And frankly for the various reasons noted it won't happen.
I am sure you are right giant. There is an obligation to show all 8 games but not necessarily live.

liz
25th August 2006, 12:44 AM

So..... why are you slitting your wrists re Fox Footy?

In what way do you think the service was appalling.

We received high quality "chat shows" dedicated to football (far better than anything I've ever watched on 7,9 or 10), some excellent documentaries, night time football at a reasonable hour, the chance to watch every game of a round at some stage during the week due to the multiple replays of every game, plus usually an alternative to the Saturday or Sunday FTA game.

I was very very happy with what Fox Footy provided and am extremely disappointed that it won't be around next year.

wheels27
25th August 2006, 09:51 AM
Does anyone know how the digital channels operate?

If ABC can broadcast netball and state league footy on ABC2 why not seven do the same - would still be FTA wouldn't it?

goswannie14
25th August 2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by wheels27
Does anyone know how the digital channels operate?

If ABC can broadcast netball and state league footy on ABC2 why not seven do the same - would still be FTA wouldn't it? I'm not sure, but IIRC there would still only be one license whether analogue or digital. I don't remember there being a decision by any of the commercials to go to two channels on digital, although there was some talk about it at one stage.

Dave
25th August 2006, 10:39 AM
I'm not sure, but IIRC there would still only be one license whether analogue or digital. I don't remember there being a decision by any of the commercials to go to two channels on digital, although there was some talk about it at one stage.

I think it's all to do with the multicasting laws which have been announced recently by Coonan and I can't remember what the restrictions were for the commercial channels. No doubt something in there to keep the Packers happy...

As it stands now these are the extra channels you get with digital:

http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=13

Apart from ABC2 and SBS World News it's pretty ordinary stuff.

Captain
25th August 2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by liz
In what way do you think the service was appalling.

We received high quality "chat shows" dedicated to football (far better than anything I've ever watched on 7,9 or 10), some excellent documentaries, night time football at a reasonable hour, the chance to watch every game of a round at some stage during the week due to the multiple replays of every game, plus usually an alternative to the Saturday or Sunday FTA game.

I was very very happy with what Fox Footy provided and am extremely disappointed that it won't be around next year.

Couldn't agree any more.

wheels27
25th August 2006, 10:48 AM
From that page (at the bottom):

" Digital television legislation prohibits the commercial television stations offering additional program channels "

Answers my question - thanks Dave

goswannie14
25th August 2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Dave
I think it's all to do with the multicasting laws which have been announced recently by Coonan and I can't remember what the restrictions were for the commercial channels. No doubt something in there to keep the Packers happy... At the bottom of the page it says
Digital television legislation prohibits the commercial television stations offering additional program channels.

Captain
25th August 2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by peterh_oz
I'd be cancelling because they are not offering the service you signed for. I reckon you WOULD have a leg to stand on in court too!

I too am considering cancelling out of my 12 month contract, but I doubt that we will be able to.

Without having read my contract recently, I'm pretty sure that there would be a clause to the tune of "Foxtel reserves the rights to change programs, stations, channels etc at any time"

ScottH
25th August 2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Captain
I too am considering cancelling out of my 12 month contract, but I doubt that we will be able too.

Without having read my contract recently, I'm pretty sure that there would be a clause to the tune of "Foxtel reserves the rights to change programs, stations, channels etc at any time" I wonder how many people wating for installation have suddenly cancelled?

The Boot
25th August 2006, 01:24 PM
Couldn't agree any more.
Agree with both Captain & Tenille
.. sorry .. LIZ!
The extras were sometimes outstanding eg. classic quarters. The luxury of a dedicated standalone channel made me extra proud to be an AFL-ite. Also agree that it smacks of big boys in suits grandstanding at the expense of the general public.

If SBS get a guernsey, let's hope they only do their "sponsoring" (as opposed to advertising) in the quarter breaks, not after EVERY goal (very very annoying).

Sanecow
25th August 2006, 01:33 PM
Without having read my contract recently, I'm pretty sure that there would be a clause to the tune of "Foxtel reserves the rights to change programs, stations, channels etc at any time"

In Vic at least there have been "Changes to terms so that if a channel is withdrawn or there is a material change to a feature or functionality during a fixed term, the consumer can terminate the contract without paying the early termination fee."

Source (http://tinyurl.com/mkqta)

Which doesn't quite agree with what Foxtel say on their site:

"If we withdraw a Channel during the Fixed Term which causes a more than nominal detrimental change to the Programming Package and we do not reduce the price of the Programming Package or replace the Channel with a similar genre Channel, you may end this Agreement without being required to pay the Early Termination Fee. "

Source (http://foxtel.tv/digital_terms.htm)

Which basically lets them out if they "replace the Channel with a similar genre Channel" (Fox Sports 3 or some other nonsense) or "reduce the price of the Programming Package" (probably by a nominal amount).

Gary
25th August 2006, 04:14 PM
Surprised there is nothing on here yet. I guess some sort of stand off was always a possibility...but even if an agreement is reached it seems that 24/7 footy is over from 30/9. Not the end of the world provided the best shows / & all games are covered on Fox 3.
Any special knowledge out there?

Zlatorog
25th August 2006, 04:25 PM
It's already been covered here:
http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15962
and here:

http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15214.

Take a pick.:)

Bart
25th August 2006, 04:33 PM
Chest beating only IMO. Foxtel WILL have AFL games next year. My suspicison is that it will be on the new Foxsports 3.

FFC would have cost them a motza IMO, and its a convenient excuse to rid themselves of all their panel shows and associated talent expenses.

No way in the world can 7 and 10 afford to broadcast all games in Sydney. It would kill their ad revenue and share price.

The word is they've paid far too much for the rights anyway. they will use AFL as a loss-leader to promote their other shows.

Foxtel are simply holding a gun to their head, and are in a strong possie to negotiate a cheap price to relieve 7 and 10 of their burden.

I work in the media buying industry, but this is IMHO

Gary
25th August 2006, 04:39 PM
Totally missed those earlier threads...sorry...but thanks for your comments Bart.

blinddog
25th August 2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by swantastic
7(@@@@s)will shaft us,

Maybe one should place some blame on the pathetic fed gov and their luddite digital television laws. Every channel has digital channels available, but are currently restricted in what they can show on them. That would be the perfect place for the other matches. In fact maybe we could send her a few angry letters.

Senator the Hon Helen Coonan ? Minister for Communications
Office of the Minister for Communications, Information Technology and the Arts
Parliament House
CANBERRA ACT 2600

[email protected]

swantastic
25th August 2006, 07:11 PM
Dear Viewer

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

An official announcement regarding the FOX Footy Channel was made by FOXTEL on August 23, 2006.

The FOX Footy Channel will cease broadcast on October 1, 2006, however you will still be able to see all of the action for the rest of the 2006 AFL season on the FOX Footy Channel.

The Seven and Ten Networks hold the AFL television rights until the end of 2011. FOXTEL has made two offers to Networks Seven and Ten but no agreement has been reached. FOXTEL is still negotiating for subscription television rights and is keen to continue broadcasting AFL, but being so close to the end of the season, we have regrettably had to make the decision to close down the FOX Footy Channel.

If FOXTEL successfully secures AFL rights, we will feature the coverage on our new sports channel, FOX Sports 3, which launches on October 1 2006 and will be available to all Digital customers. Fox Sports 3 will be added to the My Sports tier at no additional cost to subscribers to that tier. Existing FOXTEL Digital subscribers who joined FOXTEL before 5 May, 2006 will also receive the FOX Sports 3 channel at no additional cost.

Should you have further queries our Entertainment Consultants can be contacted on 131 999 (7 days a week, 6am ? 12 Midnight EST).

DST
25th August 2006, 07:12 PM
The demise of the Fox Footy channel has nothing to do with 7 & 10 and their current negotiations with Foxtel.

The channel which was an independent channel outside of the Fox Sports brand was leaking money like a sive and was always going to be closed based on a purely business decision.

Fox sports 3 has been talked about for months and many people in the industry knew that it didn't have enough content without having the AFL.

Mark my words, you will be getting AFL on Fox Footy 3 next year. Probably 3 live games a week (including the new Sunday twilight game from Melbourne), "white line fever" at 7.30pm every night during the season, "on the coach" on a Monday night and the "winners" on Sunday evening. You will also probably get full replays of all games once during the week.

Really no difference in the end, but with the added bonus of live Friday night footy into NSW & QLD.

DST
:D

Sanecow
25th August 2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by DST
"on the coach" on a Monday night

What did Sheed's eat for dinner on Sunday? Find out tonight!

liz
25th August 2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by swantastic

If FOXTEL successfully secures AFL rights, we will feature the coverage on our new sports channel, FOX Sports 3, which launches on October 1 2006 and will be available to all Digital customers. Fox Sports 3 will be added to the My Sports tier at no additional cost to subscribers to that tier. Existing FOXTEL Digital subscribers who joined FOXTEL before 5 May, 2006 will also receive the FOX Sports 3 channel at no additional cost.

And how about existing analogue Fox (or Optus in my case) subscribers? Seems to be very quiet on this.

I will be well pissed off if Fox Sports 3 isn't part of the standard package on existing analogue services. That would probably cause me to rethink my subscription.

swantastic
25th August 2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by liz
And how about existing analogue Fox (or Optus in my case) subscribers? Seems to be very quiet on this.

I will be well pissed off if Fox Sports 3 isn't part of the standard package on existing analogue services. That would probably cause me to rethink my subscription. Liz i got the impression that only digital subscribers will get Fox Sports 3.Maybe i misread the E-mail,no Fox Sports 3 on analogue.Liz just been informed analogue customers will be upgraded for FREE to digital.Analogue will cease to exsist after march 2007.For first month platinum+IQ will cost $70 for the first month,and there after $110 pm with $125 instalation costs.

Mike_B
25th August 2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by DST
Mark my words, you will be getting AFL on Fox Footy 3 next year. Probably 3 live games a week (including the new Sunday twilight game from Melbourne), "white line fever" at 7.30pm every night during the season, "on the coach" on a Monday night and the "winners" on Sunday evening. You will also probably get full replays of all games once during the week.

Really no difference in the end, but with the added bonus of live Friday night footy into NSW & QLD.

DST
:D

Well according to Vlad today, it's looking like all 8 games on FTA. Whether there is anything on Fox as well I don't know, but if all 8 games do end up on FTA, you can bet that some of these will be through the middle of the night in Sydney at least. No way 7/10 will give up too much prime time to cover AFL in Sydney.

Damien
25th August 2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
Well according to Vlad today, it's looking like all 8 games on FTA. Whether there is anything on Fox as well I don't know, but if all 8 games do end up on FTA, you can bet that some of these will be through the middle of the night in Sydney at least. No way 7/10 will give up too much prime time to cover AFL in Sydney.

Yeah that's the thing, they are stuck on Friday nights, but they aren't obliged to show Saturday night or the Sunday twilight game from what I know.....

I think the 8 games on FTA will be the greatest thing ever to happen to the AFL states but could be a bit of a disaster for us, unless of course there is something in the contract that allows for northern coverage other than on Friday nights.

Captain
26th August 2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Sanecow
In Vic at least there have been "Changes to terms so that if a channel is withdrawn or there is a material change to a feature or functionality during a fixed term, the consumer can terminate the contract without paying the early termination fee."

Source (http://tinyurl.com/mkqta)

Which doesn't quite agree with what Foxtel say on their site:

"If we withdraw a Channel during the Fixed Term which causes a more than nominal detrimental change to the Programming Package and we do not reduce the price of the Programming Package or replace the Channel with a similar genre Channel, you may end this Agreement without being required to pay the Early Termination Fee. "

Source (http://foxtel.tv/digital_terms.htm)

Which basically lets them out if they "replace the Channel with a similar genre Channel" (Fox Sports 3 or some other nonsense) or "reduce the price of the Programming Package" (probably by a nominal amount).

Thanks, very interesting.

Will look into NSW and see if they have a similar legislative requirement.

goswannie14
30th August 2006, 09:43 PM
On ABC radio news today they were saying that it is a possibility that 9 might have the opportunity to televise some games next year.

It would be like the 70's again with footy on all three commercial channels.:)

NMWBloods
30th August 2006, 10:11 PM
I don't recall footy ever being on 9 and 10 in the 1970s. Just 7 and 2.

goswannie14
30th August 2006, 10:21 PM
I don't recall footy ever being on 9 and 10 in the 1970s. Just 7 and 2. IIRC replays were on all three in the early 70's. All three showed one of two games that were televised each week, but at different times, and it wasn't always a full replay.

7 was on early before "The Penthouse Club", but I can't remember what times the others were on.

I forgot, it was also Channel 0 back then too.

NMWBloods
30th August 2006, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I remember it was Ch 0. "Turn onto to Oh oh..."

I only ever remember seeing the footy on 7 and 2.

The first game I ever recall seeing on TV was rd 1, 1975. One channel was Hawthorn and North Melbourne. It was in black and white and the only way you could tell them apart was by the shorts. They were having a huge brawl so dad changed channel (he hates fighting at the footy). Don't recall the other game - I have a feeling it was Melbourne v. Footscray.

So it must have been before 1975.

goswannie14
30th August 2006, 10:36 PM
Just looked up Wikipedia, we are both half right. Seems 2, 7 and 9 (for a short period) were all televising the footy in the early 70's. There were no exclusive rights then.