PDA

View Full Version : The no @@@@heads policy...

ROK Lobster
23rd August 2006, 10:37 PM
...is silly. Picking a @@@@head is fairly arbitrary. For instance, would Kirk have got an International Rules game if the senior players/management in that group adopted the same approach? Surely there is no such thing at the Swans. They would not be so foolish?

Slick Swans
23rd August 2006, 10:40 PM
Are you calling Kirk a @@@@head?

ROK Lobster
23rd August 2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Slick Swans
Are you calling Kirk a @@@@head? Not at the moment. But plenty of the International Rules squad did at the time.

Slick Swans
23rd August 2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Not at the moment. But plenty of the International Rules squad did at the time.

Who? Name names.....

ROK Lobster
23rd August 2006, 10:43 PM
Who? Name names..... James Hird for 1. I can't remember. I just know that they weren't fond of him. But that is not the point, it is an example to illustrate the point.

RogueSwan
23rd August 2006, 10:53 PM
I thought it was Buckley that was complaining Kirk tagged him where ever they went, mainly bars.

ROK Lobster
23rd August 2006, 10:59 PM
Thinking more about it, I suppose the culture of a club ids different to that of a temporary touring party. But the point is, that what constitutes a @@@@head is pretty arbitrary.

Young Blood
23rd August 2006, 11:45 PM
Do you think there might be a layer or two of detail that lies under the 'no @@@@heads' banner?

Incidentally, a couple of weeks ago on 3AW Gerard Healy (IIRC) mentioned that Hird and Kirk became great mates on that tour.

Slick Swans
24th August 2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Young Blood

Incidentally, a couple of weeks ago on 3AW Gerard Healy (IIRC) mentioned that Hird and Kirk became great mates on that tour.

Yeah and i saw the Footy Show once when Kirk was on via satellite and Hird was on the panel, they seemed like good mates with personal jokes and stuff.

Tuco
24th August 2006, 12:41 AM
From what I understand the "no @@@@heads" policy never actually existed. It's just a catchphrase. A journo took a quote and twisited it into a glib one liner to approximate the team ethos.

I think Rick Barham coined it in an article just after the Grand Final when he said "you won't find a @@@@head on our list". And all he ever meant by that was that the Swans play a selfless brand of team footy.

And really...who actually believes there are no @@@@heads in Red and White? :p

ugg
24th August 2006, 01:10 AM
I can officially reveal the truth behind the misconception about the no @@@@heads policy.

In fact, this 'policy' originated about 4 years ago when Wayne Carey was being bandied about by the Kangaroos after his social shenanigans. Sydney officials and players quickly came to a decision not to welcome Carey at the club. With the recent failure of another Nick Daffy, they weren't about to take another risk on a veteran and so the legend of the no duckheads policy was born.

True story, I overheard the Swans mascot retelling it to the Auskick goal umpire on the O'Reilly wing.

ROK Lobster
24th August 2006, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by ugg
True story, I overheard the Swans mascot retelling it to the Auskick goal umpire on the O'Reilly wing. Hinds and Morrissey sharing information again?

satchmopugdog
24th August 2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by ugg
I can officially reveal the truth behind the misconception about the no @@@@heads policy.

In fact, this 'policy' originated about 4 years ago when Wayne Carey was being bandied about by the Kangaroos after his social shenanigans. Sydney officials and players quickly came to a decision not to welcome Carey at the club. With the recent failure of another Nick Daffy, they weren't about to take another risk on a veteran and so the legend of the no duckheads policy was born.

True story, I overheard the Swans mascot retelling it to the Auskick goal umpire on the O'Reilly wing.

What a way to start the day. I laughed out loud.

AnnieH
24th August 2006, 10:09 AM
Yeah and i saw the Footy Show once when Kirk was on via satellite and Hird was on the panel, they seemed like good mates with personal jokes and stuff.

When Kirk tackled Hird a few weeks ago, Hirdy picked him up and congratulated him on a fine tackle. What a sportsman!!

Slick Swans
24th August 2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Annie Haddad
When Kirk tackled Hird a few weeks ago, Hirdy picked him up and congratulated him on a fine tackle. What a sportsman!!

See even more proof! Is there any substance to ROK's claims at all??

ROK Lobster
24th August 2006, 03:13 PM
See even more proof! Is there any substance to ROK's claims at all?? It shows that people's attitudes to other people change and that a policy that excludes people on the basis of their reputation is a flawed one, doesn't it?