PDA

View Full Version : Doubt

swantastic
27th August 2006, 08:18 PM
Do we have any?:frown Im starting too.

Dave
27th August 2006, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't if I were a Freo supporter. They are looking the goods.

ScottH
27th August 2006, 08:40 PM
On the gospel on Friday, Nathan Brown said he thought Freo were a big chance to make the GF, but he didn't think they had what it takes to win in Melbourne.

Andy D, again, said he thought Sydney were the current in form team. (Maybe he has been watching the 2005 Highlights tapes??)

NMWBloods
27th August 2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
On the gospel on Friday, Nathan Brown said he thought Freo were a big chance to make the GF, but he didn't think they had what it takes to win in Melbourne. This seems about right to me.

ROK Lobster
27th August 2006, 08:45 PM
Freo v St Kilda grand final. Two most underestimated teams in the 8.

robbieando
27th August 2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
On the gospel on Friday, Nathan Brown said he thought Freo were a big chance to make the GF, but he didn't think they had what it takes to win in Melbourne.

If Nathan Brown knew what he was talking about, then he would know that Fremantle have a BETTER Melbourne record than cross city rivals West Coast over the past three seasons and in fact have little trouble winning at the MCG of all grounds. Travelling to Melbourne for finals would be the LAST reason not to tip them come the finals.

In fact I'm glad I got on them when their odds were at $14 two weeks ago. Should be under the $5 come tomorrow.

NMWBloods
27th August 2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Freo v St Kilda grand final. Two most underestimated teams in the 8. Only on RWO...

NMWBloods
27th August 2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
If Nathan Brown knew what he was talking about, then he would know that Fremantle have a BETTER Melbourne record than cross city rivals West Coast over the past three seasons and in fact have little trouble winning at the MCG of all grounds. Travelling to Melbourne for finals would be the LAST reason not to tip them come the finals. I assume he meant win in Melbourne during finals. I don't think they can do that either - the pressure will be too much.

barry
27th August 2006, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I assume he meant win in Melbourne during finals. I don't think they can do that either - the pressure will be too much.

Freo have the type of momentum we had last year. They could go all the way.

Us, on the other hand, with LRT (foot), Hall (Back/hammy) and OKeefe (knee) looking worse of wear seem to be hobling into the finals.

I think its up to the football gods for us. If they smile on us and we end up top 4 by next week, then we'll give it a crack, otherwise it seems a wasted opportunity.

NMWBloods
27th August 2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by barry
Freo have the type of momentum we had last year. They could go all the way. They're definitely the form side, with a great balance, as I said in the other thread. However, I just wonder about their mental state in a big finals game, particularly at the MCG.

Us, on the other hand, with LRT (foot), Hall (Back/hammy) and OKeefe (knee) looking worse of wear seem to be hobling into the finals.

I think its up to the football gods for us. If they smile on us and we end up top 4 by next week, then we'll give it a crack, otherwise it seems a wasted opportunity. As I commented a little while ago, our season is looking more and more like 2004.

swantastic
27th August 2006, 09:05 PM
As I commented a little while ago, our season is looking more and more like 2004. Hope your wrong NMW,we are hobbling along atm but i hope we can do a lions,and once the finals hit we hit our straps and move into top gear.

robbieando
27th August 2006, 09:05 PM
I assume he meant win in Melbourne during finals. I don't think they can do that either - the pressure will be too much.

I think someone with his IQ wouldn't be that deep thinking with his answers Nick. As for pressure, I'm sure they really cracked under the pressure today.

ScottH
27th August 2006, 09:14 PM
I think someone with his IQ wouldn't be that deep thinking with his answers Nick. As for pressure, I'm sure they really cracked under the pressure today. He was talking finals.

robbieando
27th August 2006, 09:15 PM
As I commented a little while ago, our season is looking more and more like 2004.

2004 got stuffed up by injuries DURING the semi final. Late in the season we made a solid charge (won last three in a row before the finals). To me this is shaping up as a repeat of 2003, going into the final round outside the Top 4 needing results to fall our way to make it (which they did, this time only one result - in 03 it was something like 3 if I recall rightly). Doubtful if we'll return to the GF but a Prelim isn't out of the question if we make the top four.

NMWBloods
27th August 2006, 09:17 PM
I think someone with his IQ wouldn't be that deep thinking with his answers Nick. As for pressure, I'm sure they really cracked under the pressure today. I rarely expect anything sensible to come out of Nathan Brown's mouth, but on this occasion he may be right, but probably for the wrong reasons (ie: he didn't know the stats on their MCG performances as you pointed out).

Freo's ability to play in the derby was great, and shows a real step up, but finals are bigger than that.

NMWBloods
27th August 2006, 09:18 PM
2004 got stuffed up by injuries DURING the semi final. Late in the season we made a solid charge (won last three in a row before the finals). To me this is shaping up as a repeat of 2003, going into the final round outside the Top 4 needing results to fall our way to make it (which they did, this time only one result - in 03 it was something like 3 if I recall rightly). Doubtful if we'll return to the GF but a Prelim isn't out of the question if we make the top four. Difference is that in 2004 we were playing ugly football, unlike 2003 but like 2006.

Also, in 2004 we were outside the top 4 and were smacked in semis.

In 2003, we were in the top 4 and a surprise packet.

hammo
27th August 2006, 09:19 PM
If we stay 5th and can get over the Dogs (no easy thing) we would play the loser of 1 vs 4 (at this stage, looking like WC v Melbourne), so a possible MCG final in the second week.

Then our PF would be Adelaide or Freo away.

I don't think we are playing consistently enough to win 4 finals in a row to win the flag.

We need top 4 but because we don't take the pre season seriously we will miss out.

NMWBloods
27th August 2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by swantastic
Hope your wrong NMW,we are hobbling along atm but i hope we can do a lions,and once the finals hit we hit our straps and move into top gear. We're not the Lions and they always finished in the top 3.

ScottH
27th August 2006, 09:23 PM
I rarely expect anything sensible to come out of Nathan Brown's mouth, but on this occasion he may be right, but probably for the wrong reasons (ie: he didn't know the stats on their MCG performances as you pointed out).

Freo's ability to play in the derby was great, and shows a real step up, but finals are bigger than that. He does have a lot of inciteful comments in regards to footy, and he did some special comments on MMM during his time off from footy and was well received.

I agree he does not have a high IQ, but does have a footy brain.

swantastic
27th August 2006, 09:34 PM
We're not the Lions and they always finished in the top 3. True, but i think we will still finish in the four.From there any thing is possible.

tawfiq
27th August 2006, 09:36 PM
with adeliade and west coasts fear of playing us, do you think that west coast deliberately lost today and maybe adelaide will deliberately lose next week?

hammo
27th August 2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by tawfiq
with adeliade and west coasts fear of playing us, do you think that west coast deliberately lost today and maybe adelaide will deliberately lose next week?
Not sure why Adelaide would fear playing us. We have hardly got near them since Roos took over in 2002.

tawfiq
27th August 2006, 09:46 PM
but still, people are saying we are the team to beat, and with us winning this week and west coast and adeliade losing, we become a much more favorite for the flag, although i think the odds are on freo.
anyone know where you can find premiership odds or brownlow odds etc.

swantastic
27th August 2006, 09:53 PM
but still, people are saying we are the team to beat, and with us winning this week and west coast and adeliade losing, we become a much more favorite for the flag, although i think the odds are on freo.
anyone know where you can find premiership odds or brownlow odds etc. Heres the odds (http://www.tabsportsbetnsw.com.au/Sports/Information/DisplayOddsIndexCompetition.aspx?ContestDate=2006-09-20T00%3a00%3a00&Competition=1&BetOption=94&ContestCode=76936&LocationCode=0&MeetingType=4)

Grant
27th August 2006, 09:58 PM
anyone know where you can find premiership odds or brownlow odds etc.

here (http://www.sportsbet.com.au) or here (http://www.sportingbet.com.au) but at the moment they are all closed due to the weekend still going.Tomorrow morning will be all up again.

Edit: actually this one (http://www.tab.com.au/sportsbet/index.asp) will give you the odds now but no betting until tomorrow

NMWBloods
27th August 2006, 10:03 PM
with adeliade and west coasts fear of playing us, do you think that west coast deliberately lost today and maybe adelaide will deliberately lose next week? No.

floppinab
27th August 2006, 10:05 PM
However, I just wonder about their mental state in a big finals game, particularly at the MCG.

That's the question for them now. Recent years have shown you've needed a fair bit of experience fairly deep in previous Septembers before you can go all the way.

Sanecow
27th August 2006, 10:13 PM
I have to admit that the last few weeks have seen doubt start to creep into my mind. But then, I doubted like crazy last year so it's not much of a guide.

Piobaireachd
28th August 2006, 12:32 AM
with adeliade and west coasts fear of playing us, do you think that west coast deliberately lost today and maybe adelaide will deliberately lose next week? well I thought that too, early in the week. but come today I was more in the line of thinking "why would WC deliberately lose, giving Freo a double chance and possibly having to play them later in the finals on a neutral ground?" If i were WC I would have preferred a win and let fate deal it's own cards.

Young Blood
28th August 2006, 01:10 AM
Plenty of doubt. We're not performing as consistently as last year. BUT only Freo is going any better than us, and history says that they need more finals experience before they can win a flag. So we've still got a big chance - as long as we finish top 4.

Zlatorog
28th August 2006, 07:59 AM
I've got the same level of doubt as last year. All excitment was gone by the last round. This year is the same. Just wait and see.

barry
28th August 2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Dr Diabolical
Yep. It looks at this stage like no one wants to win it,.....

Including us!

.... so that keeps us in contention.
Yeah, I guess so. I'd be more confident if Hall was firing.

ScottH
28th August 2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by barry
Including us!

Yeah, I guess so. I'd be more confident if Hall was firing. Hall didn't do much in the final series last year, except get reported.

2, 0, 4, 2 goals in 2005 finals.