View Full Version : Who was the best?

Plugger46
27th June 2003, 06:18 PM
Lockett?

Carey?

Ablett?

Mike_B
27th June 2003, 07:19 PM
Its probably a bit of a cop out, but I think the only two where you can make a direct comparison is Dunstall and Lockett, as they played very similar styles of games, whereas Ablett and Carey are very difficult to compare across the group.

Swansinger
27th June 2003, 10:39 PM
Lockett.

But the poll is a bit unfair - I mean , who is going to vote for Luke Ablett or Stefan Carey ?

j s
28th June 2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Swansinger
Lockett.

But the poll is a bit unfair - I mean , who is going to vote for Luke Ablett or Stefan Carey ?
Or Don Dunstall???

Destructive
29th June 2003, 11:40 PM
Plugger!

TheHood
4th July 2003, 12:15 PM
The Dunstall/Lockett argument with go long into the ages. If this poll was on the Hawkes website, Dunstall would win everytime.

I reckon JD was better at groud level and assists than Plugger, arguably he worked harder in defence as well. Don't get me wrong Plugger did these things, but just not as well.

TheMase
4th July 2003, 02:24 PM
Lockett I think.

He played in struggling Saints sides for the most part of his career, whereas Dunstall played in Hawks premiership sides, in other words, GREAT DELIVERY, and he still finished behind Lockett in terms of goals.

Plugger46
7th July 2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by TheMase
Lockett I think.

He played in struggling Saints sides for the most part of his career, whereas Dunstall played in Hawks premiership sides, in other words, GREAT DELIVERY, and he still finished behind Lockett in terms of goals.

Very true,

Plugger played less games as well, and kicked double figures 6 more times than Dunstall, and Plugger kicked 7 goals or more in a game on 78 occasions, quite amazing.

Ablett wasn't far off Plugger as a player, but Dunstall was a mile for mine.

Frosty_13
15th July 2003, 09:47 PM
I dont think this poll does justice for this site. If you asked this poll on the teams where the other players played you get that player winning by a mile. Saying that Carey is a much better play than the other 3 with Ablett and then the great man.

Charlie
15th July 2003, 10:33 PM
It's been said about Lockett - by those who watched him closely during the period - that if he'd played for Hawthorn in the late '80s and early '90s rather than St Kilda, he'd have kicked 200 goals in a season. That's rather incredible, I reckon.