Vozzo
McBurney
Allen

Adelaide v West Coast

Goldspink
Ryan
Ellis

Emg's: McInerney & Kennedy

Brett Allen is a bastard.....but at least its not McInerney or Mclaren...

cruiser
19th September 2006, 09:51 AM
Allen isnt one of my favourites but at least we dont cop McLaren, who appears to be out of favour after so much incompetence.

Mike_B
19th September 2006, 09:54 AM
IMHO McBurney is the one to worry about from that list - seems to have this belief that it's an umpire's job to impose himself on the game.

Could do with a look at last year's Grand Final, particularly the last quarter, at how to umpire - let the players have the impact, leave the marginal calls out.

Jeffers1984
19th September 2006, 09:56 AM
@@@@ing McBurney. McInerny @@@@s on him despite his big @@@@ up last year.

Albert Park
19th September 2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Mike_B
IMHO McBurney is the one to worry about from that list - seems to have this belief that it's an umpire's job to impose himself on the game.

Could do with a look at last year's Grand Final, particularly the last quarter, at how to umpire - let the players have the impact, leave the marginal calls out.
No Mclaren, Thank the AFL for that.
How will these guys handle a Roar factor X80,000

Cosmic Wizard
19th September 2006, 10:05 AM
At least its not Goldsprink.

Anyone is better that him.

Zlatorog
19th September 2006, 10:07 AM
This time I don't think there are going to be any issues. We are playing Freo not some Vic club, so I'm sort of optimistic that umpiring will be OK for both sides.

BLT
19th September 2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Marry me Goodes
Brett Allen is a bastard.....
I believe that is my line MMG

BLT
19th September 2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Zlatorog
This time I don't think there are going to be any issues. We are playing Freo not some Vic club, so I'm sort of optimistic that umpiring will be OK for both sides. Yes we're playing freo, but how many times have we had shocking umpiring playing the weagles? hopefully that won't translate to friday's game as well....

i wouldn't stick my hand up to say we're a shoe in to win the frees count....or to even get a few decent calls....

swannieserin
19th September 2006, 10:57 AM
Is it Vozzo who is number 2?

At the Essendon game I had a chap near me who was screaming "You're a number two!" at the #2 Umpire, which I think is Vozzo. It was great!

Mike_B
19th September 2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by swannieserin
Is it Vozzo who is number 2?

At the Essendon game I had a chap near me who was screaming "You're a number two!" at the #2 Umpire, which I think is Vozzo. It was great!

Yep, Vozzo is 2, McBurney 3 and Allen 10.

Carolyn
19th September 2006, 05:02 PM
Is McLaren #11 or #12?

smartplay
19th September 2006, 09:18 PM
[
This time I don't think there are going to be any issues. We are playing Freo not some Vic club, so I'm sort of optimistic that umpiring will be OK for both sides.

I wouldn't just feel optimisitc & leave the umpiring to chance.

The smart thing to do for the swan coaching panel is to EXAMINE CRITICALLY with their players the last couple of games by these umpires and work out what is acceptable and what is not acceptable, as lawyers do by checking previous reference cases for current situation.

for example:
push in the back (so common foul - you just wonder why the players are not getting this right still),
pushing opponents out of the way with out-stretched hands before marking,
touching opponents shoulder/head in different scenarios,
not releasing ball when u are on top of it.

If u can cut the silly penalties in front of the opponents goal by just 2-3 goals, it make the job of winning 7- 10% easier @ 2 goals out of 20 is 10%,

If we play smarter with giving less of these silly penalties and the opponents give out these silly penalties, then the opponents job could be 20% harder @ less 10% from us, 10% from opponents

I hope the coaches are working overtime including bringing our penalty count to record bottom in the next 2 games, and not
basking under the Sydney sunshine, drinking chardonay.

swantastic
19th September 2006, 09:40 PM
There all maggots.

Rob-bloods
20th September 2006, 07:38 AM
McBurney does not only look like McLaren he umps like him...not a result for us!

Zlatorog
20th September 2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by smartplay
...snip...
for example:
push in the back (so common foul - you just wonder why the players are not getting this right still),
pushing opponents out of the way with out-stretched hands before marking,
touching opponents shoulder/head in different scenarios,
not releasing ball when u are on top of it.
...snip...

This will always be 50/50. I think players know what's acceptable and what's not. A lot of time they hope the umps won't notice. There's also another possibility: ACTING. We know how some players can take advantage of those rules on serial offenders.
My point was, that unps will probably not favour one side over the other, I wasn't saying that they wouldn't make any mistakes. If the count remains even between both sides than that should be OK. Hopefully mistakes would be minimal.

smartplay
20th September 2006, 09:22 AM
This will always be 50/50. I think players know what's acceptable and what's not. A lot of time they hope the umps won't notice. There's also another possibility: ACTING. We know how some players can take advantage of those rules on serial offenders.
My point was, that unps will probably not favour one side over the other, I wasn't saying that they wouldn't make any mistakes. If the count remains even between both sides than that should be OK. Hopefully mistakes would be minimal.

I agree if the penalty count is even, it is fine with us with our present player capability.

If acting is performed by opponents, detected quickly by the swan personnel behind the glass panel on game day, we should counter by acting too (& quickly at that point in time) to even the score. Then the umpire will have to give the penalty in favour of us for the same kind of offence. Otherwise, we will let him know that he is the least popular person in the stadium.

yes, we hope mistakes are minimal on OUR side to gain the 10% + advantage.

Agent 86
20th September 2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Cosmic Wizard
At least its not Goldsprink.

Anyone is better that him.
I'd actually prefer Goldspink to anyone starting with an Mc at the moment.

Ryan Bomford
20th September 2006, 11:33 AM
If I recall the last time we played a PF at TS (2003), we were dudded early by the umpies on a series of dubious frees that resulted in early Lion's goals. From there it was catch-up all night long and as valiant as we were that night, we came up short.

I would expect similar behaviour from the Umps this time. They will be calling everything in the early minutes that resembles illegal contact to enforce control on the game.

It is important that the palyers are aware of this, although I admit it appears bleeding obvious.

This one game where we don't want to give the Dockers confidence by giving away a few early goals from soft frees.

Go Swannies
20th September 2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford
If I recall the last time we played a PF at TS (2003), we were dudded early by the umpies on a series of dubious frees that resulted in early Lion's goals. From there it was catch-up all night long and as valiant as we were that night, we came up short.

That still hurts. We kicked into our forward 50 from the first bounce then it was free, free, free Brisbane goal.

Jeffers1984
20th September 2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Bomford

That @@@@ted me off to no end. I remember fondly the free kick given to Lynch right in front of goal by apparently being dragged down by Schauble when in fact it was Lynch doing all the holding.

Schauble went bonkers and i think the whole place went feral too.

Ajn
20th September 2006, 03:22 PM
Allen won all aust gig, so he will be in GF...Goldspink probably just as certain.

Cosmic Wizard
20th September 2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
That @@@@ted me off to no end. I remember fondly the free kick given to Lynch right in front of goal by apparently being dragged down by Schauble when in fact it was Lynch doing all the holding.

Schauble went bonkers and i think the whole place went feral too.

That moment still haunts me!!!

But the crowd this time is a lot more leaned; ie it will really go feral if that happens.

Agent 86
20th September 2006, 08:12 PM
The cynic in me thinks both Sydney & Wet Toast will have the "rub of the green" in regards to the umpiring.