PDA

View Full Version : Doyle owes us.

ScottH
20th September 2006, 07:37 AM
Link (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20442516-2722,00.html)
Doyle, 25, can repay the debt - that seven-season show of faith by the Swans - in one lump sum against the Dockers if he can help counter Fremantle's colossal ruckman Aaron Sandilands at Telstra Stadium and propel Sydney to the grand final.

BarneyG
20th September 2006, 08:46 AM
"Owes US" is an understatement, he should seek out every single Sydney Swans member and apologize for his pathetic 7 seasons so far.

Bart
20th September 2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by BarneyG
"Owes US" is an understatement, he should seek out every single Sydney Swans member and apologize for his pathetic 7 seasons so far.

Very harsh. 'Pathetic' is the wrong word to describe someone who has been plagued by injury. 'Potential' is a dirty word, but he has buckets of it. From what I have seen so far I have jumped off the Everitt badnwagon, and am now backing Doyle. Could be a real wildcard in the next two weeks. Would love to see him too in the goal square if the opportunity arises. Plonk the Donk.

goswannie14
20th September 2006, 09:47 AM
Why do his team mates call him fuse? Is it because he is tall (long)?:confused:

Captain
20th September 2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14

It's because he has a short one.

hammo
20th September 2006, 10:01 AM
You are a clown

graystar
20th September 2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Bart
Very harsh. 'Pathetic' is the wrong word to describe someone who has been plagued by injury. 'Potential' is a dirty word, but he has buckets of it. From what I have seen so far I have jumped off the Everitt badnwagon, and am now backing Doyle. Could be a real wildcard in the next two weeks. Would love to see him too in the goal square if the opportunity arises. Plonk the Donk.

I agree. He is our dark horse.

BarneyG
20th September 2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by hammo
You are a clown

Wow, very original! Now back under the rock you crawled from.

barry
20th September 2006, 10:39 AM
Manage expectations please.!

To expect a bloke who has only played 40 odd games over 7 years to suddenly become our finals hero in the last 2 weeks of the season is a bit much.

I'm more than happy with his contribution so far.

Jeffers1984
20th September 2006, 11:00 AM
I say Shaun Burgoyne owes us more for sniping Donk out when he was reaching his potential in 2002.

hammo
20th September 2006, 11:28 AM
Wow, very original! Now back under the rock you crawled from.
By using your reasoning any player who suffers an injury should go and apologise to the members for being so "pathetic" as you so elegantly put it. I am not sure how many players go out and delibrately get injured. You should apologise for your pointless posts.

dread and might
20th September 2006, 11:31 AM
his injury troubles have frustrated me but Chambers put it all in perspective. I couldn't believe I was sitting there hoping Doyle would be back soon, and since he has been, I think he has done pretty well.

floppinab
20th September 2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by barry
Manage expectations please.!

To expect a bloke who has only played 40 odd games over 7 years to suddenly become our finals hero in the last 2 weeks of the season is a bit much.

I'm more than happy with his contribution so far.

This time of year is littered with players who have come from nowhere. The Crows 97 98 have some prime examples.

Shane Ellen & Aaron Keating anyone!!!

I wouldn't bank on it but it wouldn't surprise me either.

BarneyG
20th September 2006, 12:00 PM
By using your reasoning any player who suffers an injury should go and apologise to the members for being so "pathetic" as you so elegantly put it. I am not sure how many players go out and delibrately get injured. You should apologise for your pointless posts.

Are you Ignorant? I haven't metioned anything about his injuries. Back under your rock little one.

timthefish
20th September 2006, 12:08 PM
Back under your rock little one.

how very ..... bigfooty .....

timthefish
20th September 2006, 12:12 PM
mostly, doyle owes himself a lot. if he contributes solidly in the next (hopefully) two games, then he has fulfilled all ledgers. there is no reason to demand or expect a match-winning performance from him. i'll settle for him making a contest at the bounces and around the ground. if he makes any plays or grabs a goal for himself then that's a bonus. i suppose, if he spends a considerable time at ff then we can reasobly expect one or two goals a match.

Plugger46
20th September 2006, 12:19 PM
He's been pretty good. They could probably give him a bit more ground time actually. Rest him up forward.

dimelb
20th September 2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Plugger46
He's been pretty good. They could probably give him a bit more ground time actually. Rest him up forward.
I agree. I still remember his goal against the Kangas in Manuka, "If the right one doesn't get you then the left one will." He is useful around the ground as well as more than useful in the ruck.

prenda
20th September 2006, 12:44 PM

bit hard there barney
seems like another ill imformed fool who knows nothing about footy injuries

BarneyG
20th September 2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by prenda
bit hard there barney
seems like another ill imformed fool who knows nothing about footy injuries

Prenda have you been drinking the stupid juice, I haven't even mentioned his injuries. So when you make a comment like that you make yourself look rather foolish.

Boodnutz
20th September 2006, 12:55 PM
Prenda have you been drinking the stupid juice, I haven't even mentioned his injuries. So when you make a comment like that you make yourself look rather foolish. Stephen Doyle doesn't owe anyone anything. This guy has been to hell and back over the past 7 years. He could've cried off like Chambers. Must be one of the most emotionally resilient blokes in the club in my opinion.

He's just a guy having a go. Respect him for that.

prenda
20th September 2006, 12:57 PM
barney
pull your head in

you poated a ridiculous ilimformed comment,and now you are trying to cover your tracks

sit down before you hurt yourself

rook
20th September 2006, 12:58 PM
I couldn't agree more BarneyG....
Let him rest in the forward line...he has been resting for 7 years, this day and age you cant carry players, get rid of him and get another draft pick, if he is injury prone more the reason.......and as for you Hammo, how can someone listen to a fool that has Nick Davis as his Avatar......get rid of him to, he is a sook and hangs his head to easily and did i forget not a team player

But have a great day.

Rook:)

BarneyG
20th September 2006, 01:07 PM
barney
pull your head in

you poated a ridiculous ilimformed comment,and now you are trying to cover your tracks

sit down before you hurt yourself

Cover my tracks??? You are a very illiterate person.

Just incase you don't know what the word illiterate means:

il?lit?er?ate (ĭ-lĭt'ər-ĭt) pronunciation
adj.

1. Unable to read and write.
2. Having little or no formal education.
1. Marked by inferiority to an expected standard of familiarity with language and literature.
2. Violating prescribed standards of speech or writing.
3. Ignorant of the fundamentals of a given art or branch of knowledge: musically illiterate. See Usage Note at literate.

prenda
20th September 2006, 01:14 PM
poor simple foolish barney

thanks for english lesson dopey but ill be right

stephen doyle just rang me and read your comments,said he was very dissapointed with you barney..

any apology??????????

Plugger46
20th September 2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by rook
I couldn't agree more BarneyG....
Let him rest in the forward line...he has been resting for 7 years, this day and age you cant carry players, get rid of him and get another draft pick, if he is injury prone more the reason.......and as for you Hammo, how can someone listen to a fool that has Nick Davis as his Avatar......get rid of him to, he is a sook and hangs his head to easily and did i forget not a team player

But have a great day.

Rook:)

One of the worst posts I've ever read. Care to remember a certain semi final last year?

Mike_B
20th September 2006, 01:21 PM
prenda/Barney, I'm sure you can discuss this without resorting to insults.

Barney, if his 7 years were pathetic, but you aren't basing this on his injuries, maybe you'd like to explain what you meant? Might make things easier for others to understand what you were getting at?

rook
20th September 2006, 01:25 PM
Come now plugger, what has he done since apart from causing disharmony.

Prenda are you Doyles mum ????

I wouldn't have thought he would have time to talk to you , he must have 15 other clubs ringing him for his services.

Isn't this fun

Rook

BarneyG
20th September 2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
prenda/Barney, I'm sure you can discuss this without resorting to insults.

Barney, if his 7 years were pathetic, but you aren't basing this on his injuries, maybe you'd like to explain what you meant? Might make things easier for others to understand what you were getting at?

Fair enough! Click on this link below, these are the stats for the games he has played. As you can see pretty much p!ss poor.

Stats Stephen Doyle (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-sydney-swans--stephen-doyle)

swansrock4eva
20th September 2006, 01:32 PM
Yet if you equated that with the amount of time he's actually spent on the ground, he'd probably come up better than some of the other players. Stats never tell the full story.

rook
20th September 2006, 01:34 PM
Barney...I think you do owe Doyle an apology, he is dominating with 6 possies a game....thats 2 more than i thought he was getting.....

It would be a good excercise to compare the other ruckmans stats for the games he played...

rook

Dave
20th September 2006, 01:36 PM

Are you serious?

Maybe cause he keeps breaking down, ie blowing a fuse.;)

prenda
20th September 2006, 01:36 PM
what about lee walker for collingwood he played
i think from memory 20 afl/vfl games
collingwood kept him on there list for ten years

he had both knees reconstructed twice
he was a tough footballer he threw himself at every thing

said he could have been anything if it wasnt due to injury.

i think he is now the team runner for freo

ScottH
20th September 2006, 01:37 PM
Barney...I think you do owe Doyle an apology, he is dominating with 6 possies a game....thats 2 more than i thought he was getting.....

It would be a good excercise to compare the other ruckmans stats for the games he played...

rook Does it state the time on Ground?

For The games he has played this year he has barely done 50 % of the TOG. So of course his Average possessions will be down compared to other ruckmen. Same as Spida this year less TOG, means less possessions.

goswannie14
20th September 2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Dave
Are you serious?

Maybe cause he keeps breaking down, ie blowing a fuse.;) That's the first post on this thread that has made any sense! Thanks Dave.:)

Dave
20th September 2006, 01:38 PM
what about lee walker for collingwood he played
i think from memory 20 afl/vfl games
collingwood kept him on there list for ten years

he had both knees reconstructed twice
he was a tough footballer he threw himself at every thing

said he could have been anything if it wasnt due to injury.

i think he is now the team runner for freo

Lee Walker!

Poor sod!

Dont worry Prenda, I'll back you up son. Barneyg has a little learning to do.

Schneiderman
20th September 2006, 01:40 PM
In all fairness Jolly and Doyle make a pretty good ruck combo:

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?tid1=17&pid1=409&tid2=17&pid2=284

Since he is not our number one ruckman at this stage, I would think the coaching staff would be quite happy with his progress to date. If he can stay on the park for a whole year, especially if its after a full pre-season, I think he will start to demonstrate just how valuable he can be.

BarneyG
20th September 2006, 01:41 PM
Lee Walker!

Poor sod!

Dont worry Prenda, I'll back you up son. Barneyg has a little learning to do.

Please Dave, teach me!

rook
20th September 2006, 01:41 PM
Hey Scott....is that short for Scott no mates....lol.....nah seriously lets say he has only spent 50% on the ground that still only gives him 12 possies a game if he were on for 100%, still very low compared to the other good ruckmen.

Love ya work, keep it up

rook:D

Dave
20th September 2006, 01:42 PM
Please Dave, teach me!

I can't spare that much time, sonny!:p

BarneyG
20th September 2006, 01:43 PM
I can't spare that much time, sonny!:p

All bark, no bite.....

Schneiderman
20th September 2006, 01:43 PM
Hey Scott....is that short for Scott no mates....lol.....nah seriously lets say he has only spent 50% on the ground that still only gives him 12 possies a game if he were on for 100%, still very low compared to the other good ruckmen.

Love ya work, keep it up

rook:D

Lets say he has spent 30% of his time on the ground (which is far more accurate). Then he ends up with 18 possies which is excellent compared to other ruckmen.

rook
20th September 2006, 01:45 PM
you have me there schniderman......but does that take into account the warm up?

rook:rolleyes:

Schneiderman
20th September 2006, 01:49 PM
you have me there schniderman......but does that take into account the warm up?

rook:rolleyes:

Not sure what you are getting at really.

Anyone who has watched Doyley play will know he has the *ability* to get the ball regularly. His disposal is ok, his marking is very good, and he is an accurate kick for goal.

Still could be used as a surprise option in the goal square.

Plugger46
20th September 2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
Lets say he has spent 30% of his time on the ground (which is far more accurate). Then he ends up with 18 possies which is excellent compared to other ruckmen.

Spot on. Make no mistake, the big fella is going alright.

ScottH
20th September 2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman
Lets say he has spent 30% of his time on the ground (which is far more accurate). Then he ends up with 18 possies which is excellent compared to other ruckmen. I know 3 of his games were 35, 61 and 63(?) mins, out of 120ish.

Any Jollys ave poss. is only 8.6, not that much more.

Mike_B
20th September 2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by ScottH
I know 3 of his games were 35, 61 and 63(?) mins, out of 120ish.

Any Jollys ave poss. is only 8.6, not that much more.

And unlike some of the other teams, the coches don't expect that much from our ruckmen as far as possessions go - their focus is on contests (not sure I agree, but this is what they want). With us not using our ruckmen to play through (like a Cox or Sandilands for instance), they aren't going to get that many possessions anyway.

Dave
20th September 2006, 02:10 PM
All bark, no bite.....

yeah, that's me...:rolleyes:

rook
20th September 2006, 02:10 PM
So if you had a choice of all the no 1 ruckmen in the competition from each club you would still take Doyle?

rook

BarneyG
20th September 2006, 02:12 PM
yeah, that's me...:rolleyes:

lol :D

goswannie14
20th September 2006, 02:36 PM
So if you had a choice of all the no 1 ruckmen in the competition from each club you would still take Doyle?

rook But Doyle isn't the number 1 ruckman at the Swans.

rook
20th September 2006, 02:46 PM
the way everyone is going on about him you would think he was.......thats my exact point he is injury prone so we wont miss him, get another draft pick and hopefully someone who is going to a 100 gamer.

rook

hammo
20th September 2006, 03:00 PM
I think rook and Barneyg must be aliases used by Paul Chambers.

A few points:

1. Doyle's games played is directly linked to his injuries
2. Jason Ball averaged 8.8 possessions a game last year - no one is criticising his contribution, in fact he helped deliver the semi final.
3. Clark and Biglands average 8 disposals for the Crows - and probably play far more minutes than Doyle.

Before mouthing off about Doyle perhaps you should nominate who should take his position. The club would be negligent in the extreme to delist a ruckman of his size and skills wthout giving him a decent crack at establishing himself.

Ajn
20th September 2006, 03:11 PM
This is rubbish...Doyle won the ruck when played against Cox or mostly Lynch. He is our best number two option and has the ability to kick a few. He is not in debt at all

go bloods!

rook
20th September 2006, 03:22 PM
Davis Lover......read my post, if he is number 2 ruckmen then get rid of him get another draft pick....the odds are he will break down again

Cox would destroy him, thats why Cox is rated so highly by the AFL players, thats why they selected him as the number 1 ruckman in the comp. Lynch has only been good at full forward and was picked for that reason......he was always the number 3 ruckman behind Cox and Gardner and thats fact due to knowing the person who drafted him

Plugger46
20th September 2006, 03:29 PM
the way everyone is going on about him you would think he was.......thats my exact point he is injury prone so we wont miss him, get another draft pick and hopefully someone who is going to a 100 gamer.

rook

Why would we get rid of him now? He's finally stringing some games together and looking like he'll make it. We'd be foolish to give him away now after putting so much time into him.

Zlatorog
20th September 2006, 03:40 PM
Doyle doesn't owe us anything. He'll be put on the spot the same way players like Fitzy were before him. Now that he's fit, he'll be judged by the same criteria as any other fit player. No honeymoon for him because of injuries, the way footy is played today there are no other options. He needs to step up very quickly. He's probably catching the last train of opportunities. Good luck to him.

hammo
20th September 2006, 03:49 PM
Davis Lover......read my post, if he is number 2 ruckmen then get rid of him get another draft pick....the odds are he will break down again

Yep that makes sense... trade a current ruckman with his best football still ahead of him and draft an untried rookie who will take 5 years to develop, if at all.

SimonH
20th September 2006, 04:50 PM
Does RWO have an 'ignore' function?

Anyhoo, stats are a part of an argument about the quality of a player relative to other players. But anyone who bases an argument entirely on them believes that Nick Stevens was a better player in 2006 than Daniel Kerr (http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/compare_players?tid1=103&pid1=631&tid2=116&pid2=2001110), i.e. is an absolute fool.

The Donk has grown into his role as 2nd ruck over the weeks since he returned, and played exactly the role that the team needed from him against the Weagles.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, we already have on our senior list 2 ruckmen-- one drafted in 2003 and one rookied in 2004-- who are on the 'developing young ruckman' track. Neither has debuted. Draft an 18yo ruckman in the 2006 draft, and we can expect to see his debut, if we ever see it, in about 2010. The alternatives at the end of 2006 are not Donk or draft. The alternatives are Donk or trade; or alternatively, if we want to go back to having 5 ruckmen on the senior list, Donk and trade.

There's nothing wrong with having a player who knows that he's playing for his career. Friday is the biggest stage of his career, and it's do or die. If he does the job that he's in the team to do, and stays on his feet, there's no reason why we wouldn't have him back in 2007. Go Donk!

hammo
20th September 2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by SimonH

I think it does but RWO is regularly hijacked by posters who come on the scene and try to create controversy then disappear just as quickly. I predict rook and his mate BarneyG will be no different.

Pommie Swannie
20th September 2006, 05:21 PM
I think it does but RWO is regularly hijacked by posters who come on the scene and try to create controversy then disappear just as quickly. I predict rook and his mate BarneyG will be no different.

Slow day on BF perhaps?

Agent 86
20th September 2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by SimonH

Go Donk!
Go to Control Panel > Edit Ignore List.

I've always thought that there was only space for 3 names (& mine's only ever had 1 name on it) - but it GROWS!

BarneyG
21st September 2006, 09:03 AM

I'm sorry for having a life outside off RWO:o. Obviously your a troll that never gets out from underneath the bridge.

Ignore button, Hammo has just been added.

Besides whats wrong with controversy?

rook
21st September 2006, 12:45 PM
Its the old saying BarneyG.....truth hurts

hammo
21st September 2006, 01:03 PM
Its the old saying BarneyG.....truth hurts
If you are going to make wild statements on here at least try to come up with some cogent arguments.

You have merely stated that you believe Doyle is a hack (which is fine if that is your opinion), but in no way have you attempted to say who you would replace him with other than saying "a draft pick". You then resorted to personal insults when your argument was unravelling.

So the only one being hurt buy the truth is perhaps you, over the fact Doyle is a lot more respected and liked on here than you actually realised.

tawfiq
21st September 2006, 01:11 PM
i used to like freo, because they were a team which minded its own business, now they are just being arrogant and talking themselves up, to add to that, there supporters are even worse than the eagles supporters, simply because the eagles have something to be arrogant about (at least one premiership) where as the dockers supporters are arrogant despite having no or very little achievements

rook
21st September 2006, 01:16 PM
Hammo, go back through the posts and tell me were i said Mr Doyle is a hack....i have stated that he breaks down all the time we would be better off de listing and picking up someone else....

hammo
21st September 2006, 01:21 PM

rook
This one for example

rook
25th September 2006, 01:35 PM
Another sensational game by the big fella, glad he wasn't kicking to win the game for us.

I can understand why Roos only plays him for short short bursts.

Lets hope and pray that Jollys missus doesn't have the baby early Saturday

I can only imagine what Cox ( the best ruckman in the comp )would do to him this week.

Bart
25th September 2006, 02:26 PM
Another sensational game by the big fella, glad he wasn't kicking to win the game for us.

I can understand why Roos only plays him for short short bursts.

Lets hope and pray that Jollys missus doesn't have the baby early Saturday

I can only imagine what Cox ( the best ruckman in the comp )would do to him this week.

You're clearly struggling with the concept of No.1 and No.2 ruckmen.

rook
25th September 2006, 02:39 PM
Not really bart, I still look at him as the same as last year...our third string ruckman.....i think the other blokes on here apart from barneyG are struggling as they all think he is fantastic, he would be lucky to be a second string ruckmen anywere else apart from sydney because we lack ruckmen apart from Jolly

Boodnutz
25th September 2006, 02:43 PM
Not really bart, I still look at him as the same as last year...our third string ruckman.....i think the other blokes on here apart from barneyG are struggling as they all think he is fantastic, he would be lucky to be a second string ruckmen anywere else apart from sydney because we lack ruckmen apart from Jolly This guy obviously just likes the sound of his own voice (or keyboard). Give it a rest. If you're just trying to get a rise out of someone by this sort of comment you're probably wasting your time. Try something else.

rook
25th September 2006, 03:30 PM
Well you replied

GoBloods
25th September 2006, 03:57 PM
he is starting to repay the faith the club has had in him.
hopefully a gf winners medal and a injury free 2007.
good luck big fella

Missy
25th September 2006, 07:13 PM
He was on Channel 10 news before saying that the club could have dropped him a couple of years ago but they stuck by him and hes gonna repay that debt on Saturday afternoon.

I got a bit teary. Man Grand Final week does strange things to you!

rook
4th October 2006, 11:16 AM
Good old Doyle, voted worst player in the GF......

When we get Everitt, which supposedly is a done deal this will make Doyle the number 3 ruckman...tells you a lot about what the club think of his potential

Sanecow
4th October 2006, 11:21 AM
Good old Doyle, voted worst player in the GF......

By whom?

rook
4th October 2006, 11:35 AM
The Herald Sun gave him the lowest rating out of 10

ugg
4th October 2006, 11:36 AM
He was nothing special but was way better than Jolly. Guess who started the last quarter, guess who finished the game in the ruck.

Sanecow
4th October 2006, 11:36 AM
The Herald Sun gave him the lowest rating out of 10

Either he wasn't alone or they didn't spot Jolly.

goswannie14
4th October 2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by ugg
He was nothing special but was way better than Jolly. Guess who started the last quarter, guess who finished the game in the ruck. Gotta agree with you there, Jolly was on a different planet to the rest of the team. Doyle at least broke even with Cox in the last qrtr, which is one of the main reasons that we almost won, as we started to get it out of the middle.

Alibi Monday
4th October 2006, 08:17 PM
I can categorically announce he was not the worse player on the ground. Arguably it was one of Doyle's best game's of the year - granted that's not saying much.

Jolly had higher expectations and had less output than Doyle, therefore he couldn't be the worst player on the field IMO.

NMWBloods
4th October 2006, 08:31 PM
Doyle at least broke even with Cox in the last qrtr Fatigue would have been a major reason for that.

Sanecow
4th October 2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Fatigue would have been a major reason for that.

You reckon Doyle improves as he gets tired?

NMWBloods
4th October 2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
You reckon Doyle improves as he gets tired? And he gets younger every day...

sydneyswans1989
4th October 2006, 10:03 PM
Not really bart, I still look at him as the same as last year...our third string ruckman.....i think the other blokes on here apart from barneyG are struggling as they all think he is fantastic, he would be lucky to be a second string ruckmen anywere else apart from sydney because we lack ruckmen apart from Jolly

:D 100% correct my friend!

Bloody Hell
5th October 2006, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by sydneyswans1989
:D 100% correct my friend!

He's got 1 full season under his belt. Next year (if they don't pick up another ruckman) we'll see.