PDA

View Full Version : Canberra opposition coaches want the Reserves to stay in Canberra

ROK Lobster
24th September 2006, 08:26 PM
Worth a read. I think that of the options put forward 2 Sydney sides could be a good idea. Not sure what it would do the SFL if they took 22 of the best kids from there to make a second side though. Solutions are needed, but it is good to see that the Canberra league is still happy to hve the Swans involved.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=sport&subclass=afl&story_id=511941&category=Afl&m=9&y=2006

ugg
24th September 2006, 09:53 PM
I would think the Swans would find it hard to accept a solution where the rest of the players get drafted to a Canberra club. Who's going to monitor how they go if they have play in Wagga or Canberra every second week?

In any case, as mentioned by the Wagga and Weston Creek coaches, our good run (or good list management) has played a huge part in the success of the last 2 years.

Last year we had experienced guys like Schauble, Saddington, James and Fixter playing in the 2s. This year we didn't have any of them, so the efforts of this year's group shouldn't be underestimated.

liz
25th September 2006, 12:25 AM
There are a few daft ideas in that article. The idea of the Swans not playing in the finals is one. I know they used to do that when they played in the SFL but the better reserves players were playing at Port Melbourne, and the SFL team was really a 'thirds'. Imagine the disadvantage that the Swans would have if, as this year, they go deep into the AFL finals and yet can't get games into their reserve players in case of injury.

Balloting them out to other clubs once finals starts isn't much better. Is the Belconnen coach really going to allow Bevan, Grundy, Vogels or Spriggs to play a decent role in a finals game at the expense of one of their own players?

There is a fair point about them not being able to top up during the year with senior grade players from other clubs. However, most of the time when they do that it is 17 or 18 yos who they almost certainly have an eye on for a possible rookie spot the following year. Would the other clubs want to deny that youngster the chance to play under the watchful eye of the Swans coaching staff if it gave him a chance to join the Swans' list for a year?