PDA

View Full Version : Burgatron 2006 Phantom Draft

Jeffers1984
23rd November 2006, 01:07 PM
Looked forward to this and this is who he picked out for us

15 - SYDNEY - NATHAN BROWN
North Ballarat Rebels, 17 December 1988, 193.5cm, 87.2kg

Brown looks certain to be taken in the first round of the draft, while he is also a realistic top 10 prospect, with St Kilda and Melbourne right in the mix to claim him at No.9 and No.12 respectively. But the reality of this draft is that not everyone can fit into the top 10 and outstanding talent will fall through - and this is where Brown could fit in. Brown, the twin brother of Mitchell, who is also set to be taken in the draft, has attracted strong interest from Sydney. It is understood the Swans are looking to pluck a tall with their first selection and Brown's ability to play in key defensive and forward posts provides enormous appeal for the Swans. Hislop will also figure prominently, if available, in Sydney's plans, as he is viewed as an ideal replacement for the iconic Brett Kirk, when he retires. Rucks Renouf, Hampson and Southport's Kurt Tippett (a potential ruckman, although more of a forward at the moment) cannot be ruled out either at No.16 and could new Swan Peter 'Spida' Everitt also have his younger brother join him in the harbour city? It's certainly not out of the question. Speedster Krakouer is also in the mix and keep an eye on Geelong Falcons midfielder Daniel O'Keefe at this selection, as he is also believed to be under serious consideration for the Swans.

Highlights/achievements: Versatile key position player who kicks well on preferred left side. Impressive in NAB AFL U18 Championships at full back winning All-Australian honours. Sprint and repeat sprint ability were highlights at the NAB AFL Draft Camp with 20m sprint time of 2.91sec (top three per cent) and repeat sprint test time of 25.07sec (top eight per cent). From Ballarat F.C.

49 - SYDNEY - CLINT BENJAMIN
Claremont, 27 July 1988, 189.2cm, 80.5kg

Talented West Australian certainly has his admirers, but also finding where he sits in the overall draft pool is difficult. He has been floated as a possible second round selection, although he is more likely to be 40 onwards. Sydney, West Coast and Adelaide are all believed to have shown interest, with his pace providing a massive 'up-side' for clubs. The Swans (No.49) could just clip the Eagles' (No.50) wings for his services.

Highlights/achievements: Super quick defender/wingman from Broome in far North WA. WA U18 representative this year and AIS/AFL Academy graduate. Ran a 2.95sec for 20m at the NAB AFL Draft Camp. A combined total of 24.74sec for the repeat sprint test saw Benjamin ranked in the top three per cent of players undertaking the test in Canberra.

65 - SYDNEY - JESSE WHITE
Southport, 9 January 1988, 196.3cm, 101.4kg

Sydney is likely to sound out a ruckman in this draft and it is understood to have shown some interest in White, who is looming as a late selection. Melbourne is another that has sounded out the big Queenslander. The Swans delisted developing ruckman Earl Shaw in the lead-up to the draft, yet he could also come into calculations with one of the red and white's late selections.

Highlights/achievements: Strong and mobile big man who was a former state basketball representative. Showed he can play forward/back or in the ruck at representative level for QLD over past 2 years.

79 - SYDNEY - CARL PETERSON
Claremont, 3 July 1987, 182.7cm, 69.6kg

The Swans are understood to be very keen on Peterson and he could be a late draft prospect. The 'up-side' in youngster from Kunnunura is enormous and he could be an appealing type late in the draft with his potential. Sydney will also strongly consider local youngster Craig Bird, who could also be secured to the club under the apprenticeship scheme. Sydney cannot rookie Bird, as he is too young, but he too will be under consideration late in the draft.

Highlights/achievements: A versatile and skillful type with an outstanding vertical leap. Played finals for Claremont late in 2006.

Jeffers1984
23rd November 2006, 01:09 PM
http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=307296

Here's the link to the full phantom draft.

If we managed to do this in the real thing i would be rapt!!

Brown and Benjamin yes please!!

We have apparently been chasing Peterson since last years draft.

hammo
23rd November 2006, 01:21 PM
The general consensus that this is a gun draft looks to be spot on the money.

I am puzzled as to why we would be looking for a Kirk replacement in a super draft? Not to get into any Kirk bashing but we have plenty of midfielders who play or can his style (e.g Ablett). We should definitely be going tall and skilful. Nathan Brown sounds like a great option.

Is Daniel O'Keefe any relation to Ryan??

Jeffers1984
23rd November 2006, 01:28 PM
Reading his blurb for Clayton Collard, it looks like we are interested in him at 15....very very tempting!!! Gun player.

Also let's hope no one takes Bird in the National Draft so we can take him under the apprenticeship scheme.

nat
23rd November 2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by hammo

Is Daniel O'Keefe any relation to Ryan??

We wish.

Mike_B
23rd November 2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
15 - SYDNEY - NATHAN BROWN

Another Nathan Brown? Lets hope his middle initial isn't D or G!

i'm-uninformed2
23rd November 2006, 02:24 PM
I want this dude, simple because of his father's cousin's name. Childish I know but hey:

42 - ESSENDON - BRAD @@@@
East Fremantle, 25 July 1988, 181.8cm, 68.6kg

@@@@, whose father is the first cousin of former Bomber Willy @@@@, is genuinely on the radar for the Dons. He is likely to be snapped up with one of Essendon's three selections in the third round, although the Western Bulldogs have also showed strong interest in @@@@, with their second selection at No.45. But expect the Dons to pip the Bulldogs, by claiming him at No.42.

Highlights/achievements: Creative player who wins plenty of the ball and has good disposal skills under pressure. WA U18 representative this year.

AnnieH
23rd November 2006, 03:19 PM
WB IU2.
I missed your scathing wit.:D

gloveski
23rd November 2006, 08:53 PM
I'm from Tassie and if we got Hislop you can assure we would have a gun on our hands but I don't think he will be available come pick 15

DeadlyAkkuret
23rd November 2006, 09:06 PM
Is he anything like West Hams' Hislop?

shole
23rd November 2006, 09:19 PM
hope we pick up brown
sounds like a good KPP with good speed for his size

swansrock4eva
23rd November 2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
Also let's hope no one takes Bird in the National Draft so we can take him under the apprenticeship scheme.

I don't think he's actually ellibigle to be taken under the Apprenticeship scheme next year - too old iirc (he's 17 this year, therefore 18 next year)? Doubt we'd take him anyway if he was young enough anyway - We've signed Ryan Bottin-Noonan on the full scholarship and another (name escapes me at presnet) on a lesser scholarship for this year, and would most likely be looking to the younger players for the future rather than a player they'd only get one year of input with like Bird. Plus you'd assume if they'd been that keen on Bird to begin with, they'd have signed him onto the program this year.

Triple B
24th November 2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by swansrock4eva
We've signed Ryan Bottin-Noonan on the full scholarship.

Oh no, another "2 DADS". Not sure if the ticker can stand it.