PDA

View Full Version : Our best is yet to come..

swans_premiers
23rd November 2006, 07:16 PM
Just watching the 2006 grand final...already in the first 8 or so mins of the first quarter we have already made these mistakes..

Buchanan fumbles in goal square leading to Judd goal.
Jolly fumbles on wing leading to Cousins goal.
Hall missing from 15 metres out.

That's 17 points OUR mistakes have cost us just in the first 8 mins of the Grand Final.

I truely believe our best is yet to come next year...
Hall, Barry, O'loughlin will be 30.
Kirk will turn 29 AFTER the season.

With the improvement of malceski, mcveigh, richards etc and addition of Spida 2007 will see us reach our peak imo.

Nico
23rd November 2006, 09:14 PM
Fast forward to J Bolton's inglorious next 8 minutes.

swantastic
23rd November 2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Fast forward to J Bolton's inglorious next 8 minutes. I think some one better tell him through the big stix is the goal not the little ones.

ROK Lobster
23rd November 2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by swans_premiers
Just watching the 2006 grand final...already in the first 8 or so mins of the first quarter we have already made these mistakes..

Buchanan fumbles in goal square leading to Judd goal.
Jolly fumbles on wing leading to Cousins goal.
Hall missing from 15 metres out.

That's 17 points OUR mistakes have cost us just in the first 8 mins of the Grand Final.

I truely believe our best is yet to come next year...
Hall, Barry, O'loughlin will be 30.
Kirk will turn 29 AFTER the season.

With the improvement of malceski, mcveigh, richards etc and addition of Spida 2007 will see us reach our peak imo. I just watched the 2005 Grand Final. Perhaps our best has been.

swantastic
23rd November 2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
I just watched the 2005 Grand Final. Perhaps our best has been. Sad sack:frown

DeadlyAkkuret
23rd November 2006, 09:49 PM
I still think we could pinch a flag within the next year or two, provided the likes of Malceski, Grundy, Mc Veigh, Richards and Davis all improve atleast 20%.

NMWBloods
23rd November 2006, 10:14 PM
Interesting spin - we fumbled badly and lost the grand final, hence we will win at least one more grand final...

swans_premiers
23rd November 2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Interesting spin - we fumbled badly and lost the grand final, hence we will win at least one more grand final...

yes we played very badly yet still only lost by 1 point.

Over the past 4 years sure we've made a prelim, semi, prem and a gf but we've never finished top 2...we drop many games and we were lucky in 2005 and played poorly in 2006 grand final.

It's about time we put in a whole season and I believe WC in round 1 will help us get off to a good start next year.

but hey you're probably one of half of the people on the site that thought our season was over half way through 2005 and 2006.

swans_premiers
24th November 2006, 01:38 AM
Just watched the whole thing....3 things come to mind.

1: Malceski is a gun
2: Buchanan is a gun
3: It still @@@@ing hurts..

Xie Shan
24th November 2006, 03:01 AM

Those three points sum it up for me depressingly well. I couldn't bring myself to sit through the first half again, but watched most of the third and all of the last.

Malceski's composure to slot that goal was amazing. He is going to be a premiership player.

My two *what if* moments:

- McVeigh hadn't stumbled in the centre circle after one of the goals (Schneider's??) when he took clean possession of the ball - cost us a few seconds when we needed a quick clearance (he was terrific in the last quarter, though)

- Goodes hadn't played on too quickly after taking a great mark on the wing when we were trailing 84-85 - he seemed desperate to pump it back in the forward line, and ended up putting it down Embley's throat... *sigh*

Bloody Hell
24th November 2006, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by Xie Shan

- Goodes hadn't played on too quickly after taking a great mark on the wing when we were trailing 84-85 - he seemed desperate to pump it back in the forward line, and ended up putting it down Embley's throat... *sigh*

That's a bit harsh. IIRC that was deep into time on...wouldn't want to be caught holding the ball , one point down in the GF when the siren goes...

ScottH
24th November 2006, 06:27 AM
I thought Cousins, Judd Kerr and Embley/Hansen killed us in the first qtr. Oh, and most of the rest of the game. Thats why we lost.

timthefish
24th November 2006, 07:33 AM
injuries, or a lack thereof, are the key. as our list ages, our record in that regard will be more difficult to maintain. if we can stay relatively injury-free, we can win another premiership while we still have barry hall to build our forward structure around.

can grundy play chb? he might be a gun forward one day, but we've already got eighty of them.

Bloody Hell
24th November 2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by timthefish

can grundy play chb? he might be a gun forward one day, but we've already got eighty of them.

I think he was pick up as a FB...Vogels plays down back as well.

NMWBloods
24th November 2006, 09:05 AM
yes we played very badly yet still only lost by 1 point.

Over the past 4 years sure we've made a prelim, semi, prem and a gf but we've never finished top 2...we drop many games and we were lucky in 2005 and played poorly in 2006 grand final.

It's about time we put in a whole season and I believe WC in round 1 will help us get off to a good start next year. "It's about time" sounds a little like a "karma" argument.

but hey you're probably one of half of the people on the site that thought our season was over half way through 2005 and 2006. No, despite so many claims to the contrary, I was one of the more positive people here in the middle of last season, and pointed out that we were playing better that the previous season and we could still make top 4 (even after our loss to Adelaide). However, don't let facts get in the way...

dread and might
24th November 2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by timthefish
unjuries, or a lack thereof, .
I thought unjuries would be a lack thereof.......

seriously though, the "premiership window" is still open for maybe a year, maximum 2. I'd like to see us get into the top 4 without relying on results to go our way from round 20 onwards.

timthefish
24th November 2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by dread and might
I'd like to see us get into the top 4 without relying on results to go our way from round 20 onwards.

i'd like to see that too, but if has to be with results going our way, then i'll take that as well. actually, i don't really mind how we get to the mcg at the end of september.

timthefish
24th November 2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by dread and might
[B]I thought unjuries would be a lack thereof......./B]

:D fixed

Triple B
24th November 2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
I thought Cousins, Judd Kerr and Embley/Hansen killed us in the first qtr. Oh, and most of the rest of the game. Thats why we lost.

And Barry Hall, Darren Jolly, Jude Bolton, Leo Barry (need I go on) have possibly their worst games of the season.

How the f did we only lose by a point. Remains one of the great mysteries.

I'm serious, how did we get so close ??

NMWBloods
24th November 2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by BBB
And Barry Hall, Darren Jolly, Jude Bolton, Leo Barry (need I go on) have possibly their worst games of the season.

How the f did we only lose by a point. Remains one of the great mysteries.

I'm serious, how did we get so close ?? WC's lack of a forward line. We were on the precipice for most of the second quarter. I had a view that if the lead stretched to 6 goals we were finished. While it remained no more than 5 we had a chance to come back. They had plenty of chances to bury us and failed. With a decent forward line they would have been 7-8 goals up at half time.

The second half was a combination of factors I think:

- They struggle to kick goals against decent defence at the best of times but really wilt badly when the pressure is on. They kicked just two goals in each quarter of the second half and they were a struggle to get.

- We started to run and they tired after dominating in the first half. How much they were dominating is shown by the stats. We didn't play fantastically well - 4 goals per quarter is good but not spectacular - but given WC's inability to kick goals, it meant a close outcome.

- We had a few effective cameos that converted opportunities into goals, which is what WC could not do. Davis in the third qtr is an example.

nat
24th November 2006, 10:05 AM
Did Lynch kick like 2 out on the full?

i'm-uninformed2
24th November 2006, 10:23 AM
Just watched the whole thing....3 things come to mind.

Errr, he might have snapped a nice goal and agree, he has potential, but Malceski was MIA most of the day. Overwhelmed by the big day, sorry to say. Don't let the hype get the better of judgment.

AnnieH
24th November 2006, 10:49 AM
Hang me now.
I think we've seen the best.
We'll be very, very lucky to make the GF next year.

janem
24th November 2006, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NMWBloods
[B]WC's lack of a forward line. We were on the precipice for most of the second quarter. I had a view that if the lead stretched to 6 goals we were finished. While it remained no more than 5 we had a chance to come back. They had plenty of chances to bury us and failed. With a decent forward line they would have been 7-8 goals up at half time.

Have WC traded or done anything to rectify this for next year. I don't recall seeing much about what they have done with their list apart from Garidiner.

nat
24th November 2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by janem
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NMWBloods
[B]WC's lack of a forward line. We were on the precipice for most of the second quarter. I had a view that if the lead stretched to 6 goals we were finished. While it remained no more than 5 we had a chance to come back. They had plenty of chances to bury us and failed. With a decent forward line they would have been 7-8 goals up at half time.

Have WC traded or done anything to rectify this for next year. I don't recall seeing much about what they have done with their list apart from Garidiner.

No, they are all so hung up on 'the unit'.. they think he's the answer to all their forward line dramas.

janem
24th November 2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Annie Haddad
Hang me now.

Don't say that Annie. I've just upgraded to Premiership Club!!

AnnieH
24th November 2006, 11:19 AM
Don't say that Annie. I've just upgraded to Premiership Club!!

All right, I won't say it anymore (today).

I like to think of Premmy Club like an insurance policy. Gotta have it "just in case". Besides, you might be lucky. Our pressie might be something better than the crappy radio that didn't work that we got this year.

Fingers and toes crossed sister!!!:D

goswannie14
24th November 2006, 11:32 AM
We had a few effective cameos that converted opportunities into goals, which is what WC could not do. Davis in the third qtr is an example. I don't think I have ever seen Nick Davis wind up and follow through like he did on that kick. It really was a good goal.

hammo
24th November 2006, 11:35 AM
I don't know about the best being yet to come, but with a good run with injuries we should definitely be contenders again in the next couple of years.

West Coast and Sydney are likely to be challenged by the Dockers, Dogs and maybe the already depleted Crows in the next two years. Overall I have faith that our elite players (Hall, Goodes) should ensure we are right up there again.

The key is to introduce a few more youngsters as we've done in recent years. Thornton and Schmidt are the two I'd expect to step up in 2007 and possibly our first rounder from tomorrow. Nathan Brown, if we are lucky enough, would be ready to play in his first year.

janem
24th November 2006, 11:39 AM
All right, I won't say it anymore (today).

I like to think of Premmy Club like an insurance policy. Gotta have it "just in case". Besides, you might be lucky. Our pressie might be something better than the crappy radio that didn't work that we got this year.

Fingers and toes crossed sister!!!:D

I agree.
My girls and I were lucky enough to get to both Grannys without a guarantee and am more than happy to pay for the insurance policy.
Read that the pressie is going to be a backpack this year. Not much can go wrong with a backpack. Can it?!!

AnnieH
24th November 2006, 11:41 AM
I agree.
My girls and I were lucky enough to get to both Grannys without a guarantee and am more than happy to pay for the insurance policy.
Read that the pressie is going to be a backpack this year. Not much can go wrong with a backpack. Can it?!!

Yay ... a backpack!!
Finally. Something we can use.
(The umbrella was a fabulous idea, but it's got cobwebs on it.)

NMWBloods
24th November 2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by hammo
I don't know about the best being yet to come, but with a good run with injuries we should definitely be contenders again in the next couple of years. Yep - the potential is there to do it again.

annew
24th November 2006, 02:50 PM
I also think it incredible that we only lost by a point - and yes it still hurts me too. As Dermie said West Coast played their A grade game and the Swans played their B grade game and still only lost by a point. Maybe we are still in with a chance for a couple of years but I would hate us to end up like the Lions are now - in tatters. By the way Annie I think the Premiership Club pressie this year is a back pack but i am sure it wont be up to much.

AnnieH
24th November 2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by annew
I also think it incredible that we only lost by a point - and yes it still hurts me too. As Dermie said West Coast played their A grade game and the Swans played their B grade game and still only lost by a point. Maybe we are still in with a chance for a couple of years but I would hate us to end up like the Lions are now - in tatters. By the way Annie I think the Premiership Club pressie this year is a back pack but i am sure it wont be up to much.

I hope it's the same quality the umbrella is. That's the best pressie we've got so far.

I'm waiting the for mug and keyring!!:D

DeadlyAkkuret
24th November 2006, 05:10 PM
Hang me now.

That's a negative POV, i think we're every chance to make the GF again within the next 2-3 years:D

DeadlyAkkuret
24th November 2006, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by nat
No, they are all so hung up on 'the unit'.. they think he's the answer to all their forward line dramas.

Lol that boy is a tool! Hunter is their best forward option, along with Embley, as much as i hate to admit Hunter has any talent at all, squinty eye @@@@@!

nat
24th November 2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by DeadlyAkkuret
Lol that boy is a tool! Hunter is their best forward option, along with Embley, as much as i hate to admit Hunter has any talent at all, squinty eye @@@@@!

The thing with Hunter is that i don't think he'd work out as a permanent forward. He's only good for the 'suprise' factor.

Lynch is pathetic.

NMWBloods
24th November 2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by nat
Lynch is pathetic. Was better than Hall!

nat
24th November 2006, 05:52 PM
Was better than Hall!

Yes, but he's still pathetic.

Like after the GF when they spoke to him? Yuck, when i watched it i wanted to be sick.

DeadlyAkkuret
24th November 2006, 06:09 PM
Was better than Hall!

I know who i'd rather have playing for Sydney, it's not Lynch...One match doesn't maketh the man...

NMWBloods
24th November 2006, 07:09 PM
I know who i'd rather have playing for Sydney, it's not Lynch...One match doesn't maketh the man... Who's disagreeing?

I was simply observing that Lynch is not pathetic as (i) he played better than Hall in the GF and (ii) he had a decent 2006.

nat
24th November 2006, 07:37 PM
Who's disagreeing?

I was simply observing that Lynch is not pathetic as (i) he played better than Hall in the GF and (ii) he had a decent 2006.

But pathetic in general.

NMWBloods
24th November 2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by nat
But pathetic in general. Sure, whatever...

nat
24th November 2006, 08:30 PM
Sure, whatever...

I have a strong disliking for 'the unit', if you didn't notice. ;)

NMWBloods
24th November 2006, 09:00 PM
I did! :)

swantastic
24th November 2006, 09:13 PM
Lynch=Tool:)

Nico
24th November 2006, 10:22 PM
Yay ... a backpack!!
Finally. Something we can use.
(The umbrella was a fabulous idea, but it's got cobwebs on it.)

A flamin' back pack. Fair dinkum these marketing people foist some garbage on us. As if I am going to wear a back pack to the footy or the shops. Give those to the kids.

Something useful like a pack of cards with the 2005 premiership players on them would be a better idea. With their clothes on, before you girls get too carried away.

AnnieH
24th November 2006, 10:30 PM
A flamin' back pack. Fair dinkum these marketing people foist some garbage on us. As if I am going to wear a back pack to the footy or the shops. Give those to the kids.

Something useful like a pack of cards with the 2005 premiership players on them would be a better idea. With their clothes on, before you girls get too carried away.

Go right ahead Nico, ruin all our fun.:(;)

I don't use any of the stuff they give me anyway (as it's all pretty cheap crap). You'd think they'd give us something a bit decent for our "insurance policy". I have boxes and boxes of swans stuff, and years and years and years of footy records. Who knows, one day they might be worth something.

swans_premiers
24th November 2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by i'm-uninformed2
Errr, he might have snapped a nice goal and agree, he has potential, but Malceski was MIA most of the day. Overwhelmed by the big day, sorry to say. Don't let the hype get the better of judgment.

watch it again....he was making pin point passes all day and his tackling was great.

Him, Buchanan and Richards were absolute guns in the 2nd half.

i'm-uninformed2
24th November 2006, 10:55 PM
watch it again....he was making pin point passes all day and his tackling was great.

Mate, the guy only had 7 kicks so he was hardly making pin point passes all day and just 3 tackles. Sorry, but all hype, no substance on GF day. Not alone, but performance is performance.

originalswan
24th November 2006, 11:52 PM
I still think we could pinch a flag within the next year or two, provided the likes of Malceski, Grundy, Mc Veigh, Richards and Davis all improve atleast 20%.

Done the maths, we would require improvement of 22% from Malceski, 24.5% from McVeigh, 27% from Grundy, 19.6% from Jolly, 29% from Fosdike and 879% from Mathews!

DeadlyAkkuret
24th November 2006, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by originalswan
Done the maths, we would require improvement of 22% from Malceski, 24.5% from McVeigh, 27% from Grundy, 19.6% from Jolly, 29% from Fosdike and 879% from Mathews!

Lol, funny man you are (or woman, i didn't check):cool:

swantastic
25th November 2006, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by originalswan
Done the maths, we would require improvement of 22% from Malceski, 24.5% from McVeigh, 27% from Grundy, 19.6% from Jolly, 29% from Fosdike and 879% from Mathews! Only 19.6 % for Jolly you must be watching another Jolly not the swans one.

DeadlyAkkuret
25th November 2006, 12:16 AM
You're right, atleast 23.44% recurring:D

Nico
25th November 2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by swantastic
Only 19.6 % for Jolly you must be watching another Jolly not the swans one.

That should have read 1000% improvement from Jolly's wife. Cut the guy some slack, he is clearly overtly henpecked.

swans_premiers
25th November 2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by i'm-uninformed2
Mate, the guy only had 7 kicks so he was hardly making pin point passes all day and just 3 tackles. Sorry, but all hype, no substance on GF day. Not alone, but performance is performance.

So Daniel Kerr only had 7 kicks?

Fact is all of his kicks were spot on, him and buchanan were prominent in the 2nd half and their class stood out.

Go watch it again.

swantastic
25th November 2006, 04:22 PM
That should have read 1000% improvement from Jolly's wife. Cut the guy some slack, he is clearly overtly henpecked. Yeh i could see the thumb print from the stands.

Boodnutz
28th November 2006, 08:40 AM
Don't say that Annie. I've just upgraded to Premiership Club!! There is all this talk about a "premiership window". It's a myth. Most teams can come from nowhere any year and win the flag these days, as long as all the cards fall the right way. There is no window - just keep your best players on the park and hope they're good enough in the end.

I also wouldn't bet on the Dogs being up there anytime soon. It still seems to me that apart from Johnson, their best players aren't good enough (5 months off season doesn't make good players into great ones) and their bottom 3 or 4 of their top 22 are very average. Darcy back will slow the team up.

There also seems to be this myth that teams magically morph into champions during the off season when all they are doing is running and building fitness.

The teams will largely start 07 the way they finished 06. Swans will be up there - injuries permitting.