PDA

View Full Version : Federal Government throws $25m at Swans home ground.

Sanecow
4th January 2007, 03:26 PM
Prime Minister John Howard has pledged $25 million in Commonwealth government funding towards the new $75 million stand at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

The new stand will increase the ground's capacity by an additional 2,800 seats.

Source (http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/PM-pledges-25m-towards-new-SCG-stand/2007/01/04/1167777202100.html)

Matt79
4th January 2007, 03:48 PM
What I find totally stupid is the fact they are spending all this money and incovenience on building a new stand and yet only increasing the capacity by 2,500?!? :frown

Sanecow
4th January 2007, 03:52 PM
It's only $27,000 a seat. :eek:

AnnieH
4th January 2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow

You beat me to it ... $26,785.71 - per seat.
That's outrageous, isn't it?
I wonder how many quotes they got. I would have insisted on at least three or four. Does that include GST?
I say scrap the lot and bring back the grassy knoll that was once "the Hill".

Matt79
4th January 2007, 04:02 PM

They must be plated in gold!! :eek:

j s
4th January 2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Matt79
What I find totally stupid is the fact they are spending all this money and incovenience on building a new stand and yet only increasing the capacity by 2,500?!? :frown
A lot of those extra seats will be corporate ones.

Plus, we get a second video screen (and the main one will be moved to a much better position (from my point of view anyway)

AnnieH
4th January 2007, 04:15 PM
Where is the main one being moved to JS?

Matt79
4th January 2007, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Annie Haddad
Where is the main one being moved to JS?

One will be above the Churchill and the other where the Messenger stand is.

AnnieH
4th January 2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Matt79
One will be above the Churchill and the other where the Messenger stand is.

Thanks Matt.
I agree with JS then ... it's going to be great viewing from where I sit in the Brewongle ... almost directly opposite me.
Still, it's a lot of money for a renno.
They could almost build a new stadium for that.

Glenn
4th January 2007, 08:06 PM
A chance to make a noticeable difference to the SCG capacity, so what do they do make it mostly for corporates why doesn't that surprise me for the SCG Trust.
Personally speaking the day the Swans are playing on a full time basis at Homebush can not come soon enough.

ROK Lobster
4th January 2007, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Glenn
A chance to make a noticeable difference to the SCG capacity, so what do they do make it mostly for corporates why doesn't that surprise me for the SCG Trust.
Personally speaking the day the Swans are playing on a full time basis at Homebush can not come soon enough. Because the Swans regularly sell out the SCG.:rolleyes:

satchmopugdog
4th January 2007, 08:20 PM
...plus ALL those cicket games that have them hanging from the rafters....1 one day game, Ashes test. The Pura Cup crowds are phenomenal.

royboy42
4th January 2007, 09:14 PM
I'm sure no-one here seriously thinks that the SCG trust didnt do their sums!
It's ALL about revenue...ALL!!

NMWBloods
4th January 2007, 09:16 PM
I don't understand why anyone is even questioning why they didn't try to make capacity larger - it's not like it's a constraint on most of our attendances.

NMWBloods
4th January 2007, 09:19 PM
They could almost build a new stadium for that. Ah... not quite! Telstra Dome cost $450m and Telstra Stadium $650m, and they were built more than 6 years ago.

Big Al
4th January 2007, 09:30 PM
I think the new renovations will be terrific. The 2 video screens will mean every patron has access to a screen.

As well the SCG doesn't need to be much bigger than it is especially with Homebush available.

j s
4th January 2007, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Ah... not quite! Telstra Dome cost $450m and Telstra Stadium $650m, and they were built more than 6 years ago.
And what did Wembley cost to build?

(Glad I didn't have shares in Multiplex. My Qantas shares are looking quite good though.)

Sanecow
5th January 2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I don't understand why anyone is even questioning why they didn't try to make capacity larger - it's not like it's a constraint on most of our attendances.

Three "not"s and one full-stop. 8 /10

Can you get the government to pitch in for a pool in the back yard?

NMWBloods
5th January 2007, 12:13 PM
Three "not"s and one full-stop. 8 /10 I'm not sure if it actually makes sense as written!

Justice
5th January 2007, 12:50 PM
If the new stand does nothing else but make access out of the SCG from the O'Reilly side easier, then it will be a massive improvement.

At the moment about a third of the crowd all have to try and exit via the bottleneck behind the Randwick end goals.

You have to wonder why the Federal Government is committing any funds? Oh that's right, 2007 is an election year!

Cheers

Justice

Dave
5th January 2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Justice

You have to wonder why the Federal Government is committing any funds? Oh that's right, 2007 is an election year!

Howard could but Jason Recliners in every seat position but I still wouldn't vote for the pr*ck.

It baffles me why they dont extend the ground whilst they are doing all this, but then again the SCG trust are ars*holes too I guess.

Stupid collared-shirt enforcing traditionalist wankers...

Claret
5th January 2007, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Dave
It baffles me why they dont extend the ground whilst they are doing all this, but then again the SCG trust are ars*holes too I guess.

Stupid collared-shirt enforcing traditionalist wankers... Extend as in lengthen or widen the actual playing surface? Simple answer - it's already the perfectly sized cricket ground. Not to mention the exorbitant financial costs (yes, even relative to the $75m).

In any case, the current dimensions help us to clog up the midfield! ;)

AnnieH
5th January 2007, 01:52 PM
Howard could but Jason Recliners in every seat position but I still wouldn't vote for the pr*ck.

Stupid collared-shirt enforcing traditionalist wankers...

The Fed Gov are kicking in because Howard's a cricket tragic. Anything for his beloved SCG.

Where will they get the land to extend it further? As far as I know, the thugby league stadium is butted up on one side, the showground on the other, and if my memory serves me correctly (it's been a long, long, long time) - I think there could possibly be a lane behind the O'Reilly. (Don't quote me on this folks.)

I will agree about the SCG trust. They're a pack of tossers ... imagine trying to stop the mexican wave at the cricket. No wonder they get boo'd every time it goes around.

DST
6th January 2007, 02:04 PM
The MCC spent $450 million on the "G" to effectively reduce the seating capacity by 3,000.

Coming from Melbourne where we have two stand out stadiums with easy access to the ground via public transport or walking from the city centre, great viewing from all levels and easy movement inside the stadium and fantastic facilities for corporate and general fans you don't have to be a genius to work out that any money spent on the SCG to revive it is a good thing.

DST
:D

GoBloods
7th January 2007, 08:41 AM
firstly - the swans had been making noises and talking about moving all games from the scg to homebush.claiming the scg dosent have enough coporate facilities( private boxes , dining rooms , lounges etc ) to cater for the swans needs.
so the scg trust ( trying to keep their major hirer happy) decided to built a new grandstand.
the swans and r.colless have known about this for a fair while , as this grandstand has been a few years in the planning.
In late 2006 , an article appeared in newspapers about how this will effect the swans crowds and revenue in 2007 ,as the scg will only hold 34000 for 2007 season. The swans then cried poor but the swans average crowd for season 2006 was only 31000 anyway.
The new scoreboard , will be built as an extention to the messenger stand. The messenger will not be torn down.
and finally , i have always sat in the scg members area and have always find it amazing that people whinge about the dress code.
like randwick racecourse , city tatts , The MCG and most nightclubs , the scg has a dress code if you wish to sit in their members area.
Males are required to wear a collared shirt...this is printed on the back of match day tickets , on the website and in all media given to members.
if you wish to sit in the scg members wear a collared shirt , if you wish to wear a singlet , footy jumper or t-shirt go sit in the outer..this isnt to hard to work out.....but this is always the scg's fault not the bloke you cant dress himself properly faults

hammo
7th January 2007, 11:26 AM
The Fed Gov are kicking in because Howard's a cricket tragic. Anything for his beloved SCG.

And I suppose his financial support for the Whitten Oval redevelopment is due to his love of AFL and the Bulldogs :rolleyes:

Captain
8th January 2007, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by GoBloods
if you wish to sit in the scg members wear a collared shirt , if you wish to wear a singlet , footy jumper or t-shirt go sit in the outer..this isnt to hard to work out.....but this is always the scg's fault not the bloke you cant dress himself properly faults

Actually you are allowed to wear a Swans guernsey in there which has no collar, go figure:confused:

The stupid thing is that shirt collars are allowed, jacked collars aren't. In my book a collar is a collar.

ROK Lobster
8th January 2007, 09:18 AM
Howard could but Jason Recliners in every seat position but I still wouldn't vote for the pr*ck. Still, it is a grand idea.

goswannie14
8th January 2007, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Captain
Actually you are allowed to wear a Swans guernsey in there which has no collar, go figure:confused:

The stupid thing is that shirt collars are allowed, jacked collars aren't. In my book a collar is a collar. I used to collect for the Salvos at the MCG members gate, I saw a guy refused entry one day (in the eighties) for having a skivvy on. Before you ask, I think he was a Melbourne supporter.:eek:

AnnieH
8th January 2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14
I used to collect for the Salvos at the MCG members gate, I saw a guy refused entry one day (in the eighties) for having a skivvy on. Before you ask, I think he was a Melbourne supporter.:eek:

Was it a white or a beige skivvy?

goswannie14
8th January 2007, 10:23 AM
Was it a white or a beige skivvy? Now you're pushing it.:o My memory isn't that good.

AnnieH
8th January 2007, 10:33 AM
Now you're pushing it.:o My memory isn't that good.

Old man.

Sanecow
8th January 2007, 10:49 AM
I used to collect for the Salvos at the MCG members gate, I saw a guy refused entry one day (in the eighties) for having a skivvy on.

Greg Wiggle tells the same story.

goswannie14
8th January 2007, 11:03 AM
Greg Wiggle tells the same story. :D

j s
8th January 2007, 05:57 PM
Another side benefit of the new stand is that no longer will we hear the jibes from Interstate fans "See! Look at all the theatregoers leaving the game before it end!".

The early leavers will disappear behind the stands (just like every other ground) instead of very visibly parading behind the Randwick goals.

AnnieH
8th January 2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by j s
Another side benefit of the new stand is that no longer will we hear the jibes from Interstate fans "See! Look at all the theatregoers leaving the game before it end!".

The early leavers will disappear behind the stands (just like every other ground) instead of very visibly parading behind the Randwick goals.

You can clearly see the essendon & carlton supporters leave telstra dome ... just before time on in the final quarter. They scurry up the races like mice.

Matt79
8th January 2007, 06:19 PM
You can clearly see the essendon & carlton supporters leave telstra dome ... just before time on in the final quarter. They scurry up the races like mice.

Unfortunately Sydney Siders are often not much better, winning or losing as long as they are first on the bus they don't care what the result is as long as they beat the traffic! :rolleyes:

hammo
8th January 2007, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by j s

They're just making their way to the race to applaud the team

swantastic
8th January 2007, 07:28 PM
(in the eighties) Is that the 1980's or the 1880's:confused: ;)

AnnieH
8th January 2007, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by swantastic
Is that the 1980's or the 1880's:confused: ;)

ROFLMAO - Gold.:D

goswannie14
8th January 2007, 09:52 PM
ROFLMAO - Gold.:D Are you 2 married?:p

swantastic
8th January 2007, 10:44 PM
Are you 2 married?:p I knew you would like it GS14.:) We just know good humor when we see it.:)

AnnieH
9th January 2007, 09:00 AM
Are you 2 married?:p

HA HA HA HA HA
Nah ... he's my toy boy.

reigning premier
9th January 2007, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by DST
The MCC spent $450 million on the "G" to effectively reduce the seating capacity by 3,000.

Coming from Melbourne where we have two stand out stadiums with easy access to the ground via public transport or walking from the city centre, great viewing from all levels and easy movement inside the stadium and fantastic facilities for corporate and general fans you don't have to be a genius to work out that any money spent on the SCG to revive it is a good thing.

DST

Agree.... as a longstranding member who has had the priviliege to be a melbourne and sydney member, the grounds in melbourne and their public transport and general access @@@@ all over sydney. Telstra stadium included.

However, I do like my smaller SCG as it's by far the best ground to watch AFL on (Close to players, large without being a barn and small without being a suburban ground).... SCG has it all....

If they can sort out access in and out as well as some public transport improvements, I'm all up for it!

AnnieH
9th January 2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by reigning premier
snip ....

If they can sort out access in and out as well as some public transport improvements, I'm all up for it!

Says the man who gets held up in traffic jams walking to the SCG!!

The public transport to both TS and the SCG are fantastic. I've never had a complaint. (Mind you, if I do catch a train to the city I get a fast one that only makes one stop before Central, and the bus is right outside the door at Central waiting to take you to the SCG. Telstra Stadium is even better .... one stop to Homebush.)

reigning premier
9th January 2007, 12:26 PM
Says the man who gets held up in traffic jams walking to the SCG!!
.... one stop to Homebush.)

You know me Annie... I get upset when I spill my Chardonnay walking to and from the ground..... And what's this plastic cup crap.... It's just not tennis!

As for Telstra stadium... Now that is horrendous.... I feel feint just thinking about it... might have to have a cup of chamomile tea and some cucumber sandwiches to calm me down.....

AnnieH
9th January 2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by reigning premier
You know me Annie... I get upset when I spill my Chardonnay walking to and from the ground..... And what's this plastic cup crap.... It's just not tennis!

As for Telstra stadium... Now that is horrendous.... I feel feint just thinking about it... might have to have a cup of chamomile tea and some cucumber sandwiches to calm me down.....

I know the Anzac Bridge is a high one. A lot of people find it hard to cross!! Imagine, the AFL and the RAS asking you to go ALL the way to Homebush to see AFL games and go to the show. It's an outrage. I'm going to ring AM talkback.

reigning premier
9th January 2007, 01:58 PM
I know the Anzac Bridge is a high one. A lot of people find it hard to cross!! Imagine, the AFL and the RAS asking you to go ALL the way to Homebush to see AFL games and go to the show. It's an outrage. I'm going to ring AM talkback.

Stop it.... Stop it now....

You're scaring me!