PDA

View Full Version : Crouch career over

ROK Lobster
19th January 2007, 07:27 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/the-rebuilding-of-sydneys-mr-unbreakable/2007/01/18/1169095907233.html

Gone, imo by the end of the season. May well hold the record for the longest unbroken run of games constituting an entire career.

goswannie14
19th January 2007, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
http://www.smh.com.au/news/afl/the-rebuilding-of-sydneys-mr-unbreakable/2007/01/18/1169095907233.html

Gone, imo by the end of the season. May well hold the record for the longest unbroken run of games constituting an entire career. I don't read that into the article, nor is it my opinion. He'll be back, and how good will it be to have a fit Crouch running around out there?

swantastic
19th January 2007, 07:50 AM
He'll be back just working through injurys.

AnnieH
19th January 2007, 08:49 AM
Ah, bless.
Crouchy's such a top bloke. I have all the respect in the world for him.:)

reigning premier
19th January 2007, 09:16 AM
Let's just hope we get another 10 straight seasons out of him when he does get back.. think of it as a half-life service.. :D

stellation
19th January 2007, 09:37 AM

Gone, imo by the end of the season. May well hold the record for the longest unbroken run of games constituting an entire career.
I think you might just be right, you handsome devil.

bigswan
19th January 2007, 09:48 AM
You must be reading a different article to me. I read that he is coming along slowly with no residual anle or shoulder injuries. It seems that he could be seen as a new recruit for 2007. Plus I think you underestimate this man's determination.

NMWBloods
19th January 2007, 09:50 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if he is finished within a year or two. Has played through too many injuries.

AnnieH
19th January 2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by bigswan
You must be reading a different article to me. I read that he is coming along slowly with no residual anle or shoulder injuries. It seems that he could be seen as a new recruit for 2007. Plus I think you underestimate this man's determination.

.... and level of fitness.
IMO he'll go for a couple more years ... maybe leave with Hall, Roos, et al.

satchmopugdog
19th January 2007, 10:01 AM

You're just saying that to get Jenky28 fired up, you stirrer. I don't know if you're a handsome stirrer. All those claws and feelers just don't do it for me.

stellation
19th January 2007, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by bigswan
I think he must have a great level of determination to have made it onto an AFL list, to make it into the best 22 and then to hold his position in that best 22 for so many games (and, I assume, play with injuries in a fair few of that stretch). One thing I do question about him (and I admit I always have) is if he can hold his place in that 22 if his speed/stamina start to deteriorate and this prolonged period may really test those aspects of his game (which obviously he may pull through perfectly fine and be the speedster he always was).

ItsAllGoodes
19th January 2007, 10:08 AM

I also dont read that into the article...he is paying a price for playing too long with injuries...I partly admire the determination but (and I say this without knowing the guy at all) I wonder if a degree of selfishness took over?

He is now realising that to extend his career he has to get himself 100% right and if thats round 2 or round 5 well so be it.

Back in the team Round 4ish...working his way back to peak match fitness...just in time to catch up with his old mate Aker in Round 9...I cant wait !!!!

stellation
19th January 2007, 10:14 AM
Should he be brought straight back into the first 22 or should he spend some time in Canberra and earn his place?

Mike_B
19th January 2007, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by stellation
Should he be brought straight back into the first 22 or should he spend some time in Canberra and earn his place? Wouldn't think coming into the seniors a few weeks into the season without any match practice and fitness at all under the belt is a good idea. IMHO that is left to a handful at the top of our list and guys who don't rely on their fitness as much as he does to make an impact.

If he has played a few games and has the fitness base under his belt, then I would consider bringing him back, even if his form wasn't exceptional because of the role he plays on small forwards which is very important for us.

AnnieH
19th January 2007, 10:20 AM
Should he be brought straight back into the first 22 or should he spend some time in Canberra and earn his place?

IMO, he doesn't really need to "earn" a place - he's a consistent, hard-worker ... I'm pretty sure there'll be one waiting for him when he's fit and ready.
Saying that, he will spend time in the ressies to make sure his match fitness is close to 100% ... they're (he's) risking a lot if they bring him back too early.

reigning premier
19th January 2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Annie Haddad
IMO, he doesn't really need to "earn" a place - he's a consistent, hard-worker ... I'm pretty sure there'll be one waiting for him when he's fit and ready.
Saying that, he will spend time in the ressies to make sure his match fitness is close to 100% ... they're (he's) risking a lot if they bring him back too early.

He'll need to work his way back through the Magoo's.... And, make no mistake, he will.

But it won't be Roos telling him, he'll do it of his own volition because he know's more than anyone that no one is guarenteed a start in this footy team. You have to earn your place. Crouchy will want to earn his place.

hammo
19th January 2007, 10:55 AM
Crouch will definitely be working his butt off in Canberra.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him in the seniors until after Round 6 however.

Jeffers1984
19th January 2007, 11:43 AM
Yep. Crouchy is definately in my best 22 but he's not valuable enough to put him back without decent match practice. 3-4 weeks in the magoos before even thinking about seniors.

Sanecow
19th January 2007, 11:49 AM
It kind of has the "Grandma is on the roof" vibe.

AnnieH
19th January 2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Sanecow
It kind of has the "Grandma is on the roof" vibe.

:confused: :confused:
Sorry Cow, I've never heard that term, can you elaborate?

stellation
19th January 2007, 11:54 AM
Would people be willing to drop a promising youngster in defence to bring in Jared if he has lost a yard of pace?
Interestingly Jared is 28 this year, which is the same age Andrew Schauble was in 2005 when he was sent to Canberra (following an injury hampered season the year before, just like Jared) for the development of LRT.

Sanecow
19th January 2007, 11:55 AM
Not perfectly told but it will do:

I was asked to house sit a neighbour's cat and sadly when they called after the first day I had to tell them the cat had died. They were sad that I wasnt more tactful. I was told I should have said that the cat had run away or was on the roof and then the next day told them that it had died. Next they said, how is grandma?

"Grandma is on the roof", I replied.

This version stolen from here (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060922115757AA8GV8K).

AnnieH
19th January 2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Sanecow
Not perfectly told but it will do:

This version stolen from here (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060922115757AA8GV8K).

Hilarious ... thanks.

AnnieH
19th January 2007, 11:59 AM
Would people be willing to drop a promising youngster in defence to bring in Jared if he has lost a yard of pace?
Interestingly Jared is 28 this year, which is the same age Andrew Schauble was in 2005 when he was sent to Canberra (following an injury hampered season the year before, just like Jared) for the development of LRT.

I was just waiting for someone to throw this spanner into the works. Thanks Stella.
It is a huge consideration.
I suppose it would have to wait until he was ready to come back and how everyone else is playing at the time ... not just the youngsters.
They could always drop Davo at the spin of a hat!!:D

NMWBloods
19th January 2007, 12:06 PM
If Crouch has lost some of his pace then I would have to wonder whether he is in our best 22.

stellation
19th January 2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
If Crouch has lost some of his pace then I would have to wonder whether he is in our best 22.
An astute observation from a stylish rogue.

SimonH
19th January 2007, 12:51 PM

Gone, imo by the end of the season. May well hold the record for the longest unbroken run of games constituting an entire career. The article is largely bad news (the subtext rather than what's spelt out), but you're overstating the ramifications a bit. Will almost definitely be with the Swans in 2008 (basically, barring further unexpected serious injury) and will play 20-30 more games for us. Whether he will make it to 2009 is far more questionable.

Sydney have a happy habit of successfully encouraging their players to 'retire' when it's time to go (i.e. they would otherwise be delisted anyway): for example Rowan Warfe at 28, Schauble at 29, Heath James at just 25. Even Paul Chambers 'retired', which no doubt had happy contractual/salary cap ramifications for the Swans. They've not yet (at least not in the last decade that I can recall) had an ugly Ben Hart-style situation where an old warrior has to be publicly dumped amid much rancour. Quite the contrary: Schwatta, Paul Kelly, Paul Williams and Jason Ball were among those who left when they were more-than-able to continue to earn a spot if they'd wanted to keep playing.

Be interesting to see whether they can manage the same trick with Crouchy-- the flipside of maniacal unflinching determination and resilience, is not being able to back away.

Mike_B
19th January 2007, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by SimonH
Be interesting to see whether they can manage the same trick with Crouchy-- the flipside of maniacal unflinching determination and resilience, is not being able to back away.

Just invite Justin Langer in to have a chat...

swan_song
19th January 2007, 01:46 PM
Whatever! Either way, I hope he gets back to form and fitness and makes it back into the team. All I can think of with Crouchy is that we missed him last September....sure would have been good for him to sit on one of the Weevils' jailbirds...

giant
19th January 2007, 02:07 PM
Seems surprising he waited till September to have the ankle surgery - his season was clearly over before then. He's too tuff a competitor to write his obituary yet - an important player for us unless & until one of the youngsters can demonstrate they are worthy of the title "team pest". Anyway, an opportunity for one of the newbies to step up.

stellation
19th January 2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Mike_B
Just invite Justin Langer in to have a chat...
Yes, certainly don't invite Matthew "Flat Track Bully 'Til The Day I Die" Hayden in.

tez
19th January 2007, 05:30 PM
Crouchy will be right after they drop him into the magic
water at Maroubra.

ROK Lobster
19th January 2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by SimonH
Paul Kelly Glad to see PK get a mention because, in this particular way he is so much like Crouch. When Kels retired he was spent. He would not have been in our best 22 at season's end if he had played another year, he was only just there at the end as it was anyway. He was still valuable to the club in many ways, and still would have justified his place for his leadership alone, but he knew his body was copulated - he had smashed it for far too long and it no longer could support the style of play he was famous for (and lets face it, he did not have an awful lot of anything else). Simialrly, though to a lesser extent Stuey M. He played 1 season too many. Willo (though a different kettle of fish) hung around 1 too many. The success the club has had with H James (probably averaged more $ per minute of game time over his career than Hall and Beckham combined), Chambers (Manuka or bust) and Ball (2nd fiddle to Jolly by the end, a shoulder hanging in by a tendon, and a squillion to made in the market) are off set by the blokes who have stayed too long. We average out pretty much like every other club. Crouch is spent. It was a great career, but ultimately the streak has brought him undone. Michael "always-hurt-never-injured" O'Loughlin would never be so stupid. The man is almost a cripple but has another 2 seasons left in him because he does not have the Crouch "drive". But then, maybe with Crouch it has something to do with all the guilt (maybe he and Haydos have more in coimmon than first thought Stells you clevva fella).

Mod edit: Please note the clever attempt to avoid the swear filter

AnnieH
19th January 2007, 11:54 PM
... But then, maybe with Crouch it has something to do with all the guilt.

I didn't know he was a catholic god botherer!!:D

Nolie
20th January 2007, 12:23 AM
I think you are writing Crouch off too hurriedly. He is one of my all-time favourites. He played a fabulous game in the 2005 Grand Final which went largely unheralded.

I like Crouch - after the 2005 Qualifying final in Perth I waited with my daughter to get the players autographs. She decided to get someone to sign her membership card. Good idea I thought and I picked Crouch. When he was signing it I said to him "We were robbed weren't we" (the Stenglein decision). He didn't answer. 'We were weren't we" I urged. "Yes" he said quietly and then proceeded to the next autograph-hunter or the bus.
I suppose they're not supposed to comment on those things.

ROK Lobster
20th January 2007, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Nolie
I think you are writing Crouch off too hurriedly. He is one of my all-time favourites. He played a fabulous game in the 2005 Grand Final which went largely unheralded. He is spent, hit a brick wall.

satchmopugdog
20th January 2007, 01:07 PM
He is spent, hit a brick wall.

The photo of him jogging slowly by himself reminded me of a picture of Wade Chapman doing the same after his achilles...never to be seen again. Valued but ruined.

jenky28
21st January 2007, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by satchmopugdog
The photo of him jogging slowly by himself reminded me of a picture of Wade Chapman doing the same after his achilles...never to be seen again. Valued but ruined.

If his comment is meant to stir me up it aint working. I love Crouchy he is an awesome player and an awesome bloke. If he decides enough is enough then he will bow out. Personally i hope he doesnt cos im not wanting a new number on my jumper and i dont wanna be wearing the number with some1 else playing in it.

Good Luck to the bloke and he will be fit and firing in 07 back proving all doubters wrong!
LOL!!!

Cheers

Jenky28!

Nico
21st January 2007, 07:06 PM
I agree with ROK. At 28 going on 29 to have a such a long time off and the wasting away of muscles, it is going to be very hard to get back to the level of fitness and endurance that he had.

If he was 22, maybe it would be a more realistic forecast to get back by mid season. Like Willo I predict he will throw up his hands after few games in the 2's and say "thats all folks".

DST
4th April 2007, 05:54 PM
I agree with ROK. At 28 going on 29 to have a such a long time off and the wasting away of muscles, it is going to be very hard to get back to the level of fitness and endurance that he had.

If he was 22, maybe it would be a more realistic forecast to get back by mid season. Like Willo I predict he will throw up his hands after few games in the 2's and say "thats all folks".

Out for a long time?

He has effectively missed 15 senior games, what do you make of Darcey who has missed the best part of 50 senior games.

Crouch will play again, and if he retains his pace then he has another 3 to 4 years left in him.

DST
:D

Zlatorog
4th April 2007, 06:33 PM
Out for a long time?

He has effectively missed 15 senior games, what do you make of Darcey who has missed the best part of 50 senior games.

Crouch will play again, and if he retains his pace then he has another 3 to 4 years left in him.

DST

Funny, you've mentioned Darcy. Are you aware that he's injured again?
Well, you've just jinxed Crouchy.:D

RogueSwan
4th April 2007, 09:01 PM
Out for a long time?

DST
Darcy's obvious strength is his height, he is still tall
Crouch's obvious talent is speed,is he still quick?

I hope Crouchy makes it back.

Nico
4th April 2007, 09:14 PM
He has played only part of A practice match, and I think that was the last one that was to give a few of the others a bit of a loosener before Round 1, and wasn't sighted in the 2's last week.

Not lookin' good.

Go Swannies
4th April 2007, 11:42 PM
I presume if he did retire that he would have the record for the longest AFL career in a single burst?

But I repeat, we REALLY need a fast, tagging Crouch. If he had not been injured it's fair to say we'd now be going for three premierships in a row. Last weekend I was stunned by how slow the Swans are. Having a player that can run down Davey or Judd will be as important as having a forward that can kick straight.

There's a chance that Crouch will come back slower. But for his club's fans to write him off already is pretty sad. I hope I'll get a lot more chances to see one of the opposition speedsters get to his feet to give the ball back as he looks back to see who the hell could have caught and tackled him.