PDA

View Full Version : Swans: New CEO appointed

Troy G
16th July 2003, 02:34 PM
The Board of the Sydney Swans today announced the appointment of Mr Myles Baron-Hay as its new Chief Executive Officer.

Myles, who is 40, is Sydney based and has worked with great success in a range of senior positions in the financial services industry in Australia and New Zealand for the past 13 years. He has an MBA from the AGSM and an honours Degree in Engineering.

Myles has had a long association with Australian football as a player (including a period at the Claremont Football Club in the WAFL), and as a member and supporter of the Swans.

The appointment of Myles Baron-Hay to the position of CEO follows an extensive search programme conducted by leading Executive Search firm Korn/Ferry International.

He will take up his position in early August.

robbieando
16th July 2003, 02:39 PM
Good to see he has a football background, is young and a sound business background. Hopefully he can quickly fix our finances and restore us to what we had (finance wise) in 1998-1999 and keep us there

midaro
16th July 2003, 02:50 PM
Eddie's gonna love the hyphenated surname. I hate Eddie.

floppinab
16th July 2003, 04:08 PM
senior positions in the financial services industry in Australia and New Zealand for the past 13 years

Claremont Football Club in the WAFL

Something a bit smelly about this appointment methinks.

SWANSBEST
16th July 2003, 04:32 PM
floppinab

Please explain ---- "a bit smelly".

LRT and now MBH

Charlie
16th July 2003, 04:48 PM
What on earth can you find that is smelly, from those two snippets??? So... he's a businessman who used to play footy...:confused:

The bit that I like is that he is a Swans supporter and member. Good to see that he'll have a bit of passion for the club he is running.

SWANSBEST
16th July 2003, 04:54 PM
Charlie

I totally agree.

floppinab
16th July 2003, 05:38 PM
Granted I have my cynical conspiracy theory hat on with a bit of thought about the background.................... if you can't see anything here then I guess there's nothing to worry about then is there.

Charlie
16th July 2003, 05:40 PM
Umm... can you give us a hint?

Bart
16th July 2003, 05:55 PM
I just think its great that he is a member !

robbieando
16th July 2003, 06:22 PM
floppinab - any chance your talking about his link to West Australian football, being simular to Colless????? Otherwise I couldn't see a problem with this appointment

barry
16th July 2003, 06:32 PM
My first impression is the appointment seems a bit "in house" especially as they claim they did a wide and extensive search.

FWIW, he was CEO of BT Financial in NZ a couple of years ago, and more recently Head of institutional business for BT back in Oz.

robbieando
16th July 2003, 06:38 PM
He seems well qualifed and has a football background, thats what I was after.

penga
16th July 2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by SWANSBEST
Charlie

I totally agree.

SWANSBEST

I totally agree.

:D

penga
16th July 2003, 06:56 PM
seriously though, its good to hear that the position is finally filled

Gunn
16th July 2003, 07:41 PM
I was hoping that following the usual practice the post would have been kept open for Cressa or even Warfe. Bringing in an outsider is ground breaking stuff and not in keeping with the worst traditions of the club.:D

peterh_oz
16th July 2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
floppinab - any chance your talking about his link to West Australian football, being simular to Colless????? Otherwise I couldn't see a problem with this appointment

I must admit, "Claremont" jumped off the screen at me ... But lets give the guy a chance eh? Never heard of him, but thats not unusual for a CEO.

Glad the job is filled, lets hope he can turn things around off-field. WITHOUT membership price-rises (even a drop at the lower end to restore sellouts!) Love to see the SwansLink tickets back in vogue with queues at the railway stations every Monday for Swans tickets!

EMJ
16th July 2003, 09:02 PM
I am happy because an appointment has been made. He has financial background and as stated previously, a member of the Swans and keen supporter and obviously a football background.

Let us move forward financially. Welcome aboard Myles

blinddog
17th July 2003, 01:40 AM
Take this with a grain of salt but the guy seems to like running - from a Google search
BT Fin NZ
BT Funds Management
Syd Marathon 2002
BT Aust
City 2 Surf 96
BMW Marathon 2000 -NZ
Donation Schizophrenia Reaseach WA - $200-$999 Group

Strange that on the Claremont Footy site no mention of him? Or maybe they just don't include history!

So we are saying there is a financial (funds manager) connection BT/Pacific/ING?

floppinab
17th July 2003, 08:59 AM
My first impression is the appointment seems a bit "in house" especially as they claim they did a wide and extensive search.

Straight through the middle barry!!!!! They're at pains to detail the extensive search programme but the appointment comes to a bloke with a disturbingly similar background to the Chairman.

jixygirl
17th July 2003, 09:33 AM
They're definitely covering up how much they searched but I think this guy seems he has a fair bit of good business experience and is a Swans supporter (very important). Lets just hope he has what it takes when he actually starts as CEO.

floppinab
17th July 2003, 05:45 PM
In fact they aren't, this from today's Terror :

http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,6762683%255E2771,00.html

Colless said that, after Baron-Hay expressed an interest in the job, no other potential candidates were even given a first interview. "People of Myles's age and experience don't come along to football clubs all that often," Colless said.

:rolleyes:

SXP
17th July 2003, 06:46 PM
This is what they call it "Networking" or what I would call it "Old Boys Club". I only hope it was worth it.:)

JF_Bay22_SCG
17th July 2003, 09:31 PM
Good to see he has a football background, is young and a sound business background. Hopefully he can quickly fix our finances and restore us to what we had (finance wise) in 1998-1999 and keep us there

Mate, he does sound good. But it doesn't lesson my resolve one bit. I'd still have liked to have voted him in.

JF

Charlie
17th July 2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
Mate, he does sound good. But it doesn't lesson my resolve one bit. I'd still have liked to have voted him in.

JF

CEOs aren't voted in by anyone other than the board. I agree with an elected board, but electing a CEO would be impractical.

JF_Bay22_SCG
17th July 2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by peterh_oz
I must admit, "Claremont" jumped off the screen at me ... But lets give the guy a chance eh?

Why this reaction to Claremont in WA Peter? Aren't they the old-money Melbourne/Carlton of Perth footy?

I remain cautious rather than elated about it. Let's face it, nobody knows too hoots about this bloke. Wonder if he is a mate from Colless' days in the west.

The thing is, without a member-elected club, we will never know what is going on, FULL STOP.

JF:frown :mad:

Dpw
17th July 2003, 10:12 PM
Why this reaction to Claremont in WA Peter? Aren't they the old-money Melbourne/Carlton of Perth footy?

I remain cautious rather than elated about it. Let's face it, nobody knows too hoots about this bloke. Wonder if he is a mate from Colless' days in the west.

The thing is, without a member-elected club, we will never know what is going on, FULL STOP.

JF:frown :mad:

Claremont are no money club thats East Perth four straight Premierships, Radio ads etc when other clubs are struggling for money. Claremont is like most WAFL clubs scratching for handouts from the commisson. They also have the lowest surpporter base of all WAFL clubs.

robbieando
18th July 2003, 12:19 AM
Thing is he played for Claremont, he didn't run them

scurrilous
18th July 2003, 04:14 PM
Thing is he played for Claremont, he didn't run them

PHEW!

Bart
18th July 2003, 04:22 PM

JF

No one votes a CEO in.