PDA

View Full Version : LRT out for 10 weeks

dread and might
3rd February 2007, 07:54 AM
Discuss.

link to article (http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2007/02/02/1169919533938.html)

Vogels?

ROK Lobster
3rd February 2007, 08:07 AM
What ever shall we do?

Seriously, career over. Put a footballer in his place for 3 months and there is no way back for LRT. Well done Lewie on playing 50 more league games than you ever should have.

WASwansFanatic
3rd February 2007, 08:29 AM
I actually rate LRT. Not the most coordinated looking footballer going round, but he can play. 2005 Grand Final.....

nat
3rd February 2007, 08:51 AM
God you scared the hell out of me.. i thought you ment he was out for the first 10 rounds.

royboy42
3rd February 2007, 09:57 AM
Is there ANYONE in the swan's organisation you actually respect or admire ROK?

dimelb
3rd February 2007, 10:12 AM
And he's been carrying the injury for months. It puts the relative fadeout at the end of last season into perspective.
But what happened to the club's (justifiably) vaunted injury management? That's a long time for such an injury to go on.
And why play him through the finals? I know players with injuries in finals series are not uncommon, but with his effectiveness reduced to that extent, why not use Vogels?

ROK Lobster
3rd February 2007, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by royboy42
Is there ANYONE in the swan's organisation you actually respect or admire ROK? Colless has my respect and admiration. Roos has my respect as a coach. There is no one who does not respect and admire Goodes. Hall and Barry have my respect as players and leaders. Kirk has my respect for what his has achieved on the football field and his courage. I think he is overrated though and is a stopper rather than a creator. Similalrly I admire J Bolton's courage and endeavour. His ability leaves something to be desired. MOL is a favourite for his 'silky' skills and his antics each time he gets bumped. His is a one of a kind and has both my respect and admiration. RO'K is another favourite - except when he pings away and lobs them in the crowd.

I like most of the others, respect the work they do to achieve what they have and admire their abilities. Of course Davis is a favourite because he can do the almost impossible, can win a game or two of his own boot and will entertain. Benny Mathews is a player I do not have much time for - but again respect and admire what he has achieved.

LRT has my respect and some admiration but is terribly overrated - his first half of the '05 GF was not that good, the ball seemed to find him moreso than him finding the ball. He has improved and is now a big tagger - a stopper of opposition forwards. While this is a major part of being a back he is not a true CHB imo, and I would much rather see a more creative player in the position. He still lapses into the realm of the hopeless occasionaly. If he is the best we have got then so be it, I will cheer him on whenever he wears the red and white.

Crouch is another that I have been critical of. He was becoming a liability last year and probably played throgh to much pain for too long - and dare I say it put himself before the team. I do not think he will ever be the player he was and I honestly think that his career is as good as over. That does not mean that I have no respect or admiration for him.

Probably the only player that I do not really like is Jolly. He is not a great tap ruckman and gives us bugger all around the ground. In his defence he was pretty much the only ruckman for most of the year and probably struggled under that burden but I just feel that there is something lazy about him and that if the Donk stays fit, he will be rucking in Canberra by the split round.

I have little respect or admiration for most of RWO.

Wardy
3rd February 2007, 07:53 PM
I cant understand why you would persist with a player who was knowingly injured and wasnt playing to any standard when there were more able bodied players in the reserves fit to take up the challenge. A player like Vogels would have been an asset on the day not a liability - But I guess it is a completely different set of rules for LRT (God I hope that his biggest fan - being the cranky cow who sat in front of us at the 2005 GF isnt reading this - she may seek me out in the MA Noble and belt and berate with her red beret!)

Bloody Hell
3rd February 2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Wardy
I cant understand why you would persist with a player who was knowingly injured and wasnt playing to any standard when there were more able bodied players in the reserves fit to take up the challenge. A player like Vogels would have been an asset on the day not a liability - But I guess it is a completely different set of rules for LRT (God I hope that his biggest fan - being the cranky cow who sat in front of us at the 2005 GF isnt reading this - she may seek me out in the MA Noble and belt and berate with her red beret!)

He's a hack....Vogels or Grundy.

dread and might
4th February 2007, 11:24 AM
God. I was just trying to imagine who would come in for LRT......
I should return to self imposed, off season exile.

ROK Lobster
4th February 2007, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by dread and might
God. I was just trying to imagine who would come in for LRT... Could Ted get the gig?

satchmopugdog
4th February 2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by dread and might
God. I was just trying to imagine who would come in for LRT......

Ted and have Vogels or Grundy or Laidlaw fill the gap in the backline.

swantastic
4th February 2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
Could Ted get the gig? IMO nope Vogels by a country mile.

liz
4th February 2007, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by swantastic
IMO nope Vogels by a country mile.

Why?

He's played about one quarter of senior AFL footy in defence - and not as a CHB. Whenever he's lined up in defence in the ACTAFL his form has been pretty ordinary. Unless he has worked miracles over summer, his endurance is nothing like able to stand up to running with the top CHFs in the league.

I would have thought that Ted and B2 are going to have to cover the CHB position between them unless some miracle emerges over pre-season.

Sanecow
4th February 2007, 02:56 PM
A no brainer. Ted.

swantastic
4th February 2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by liz
Why?

He's played about one quarter of senior AFL footy in defence - and not as a CHB. Whenever he's lined up in defence in the ACTAFL his form has been pretty ordinary. Unless he has worked miracles over summer, his endurance is nothing like able to stand up to running with the top CHFs in the league.

I would have thought that Ted and B2 are going to have to cover the CHB position between them unless some miracle emerges over pre-season. The reason i say Vogels is IMO Ted could be used more efficiently around the ground and that we dont have any one else other than B2 to fill the CHB role.You can change your endurance a lot over the summer period so lets hope he has.

ScottH
4th February 2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Sanecow
A no brainer. Ted. I concur.

Bloody Hell
4th February 2007, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by liz

I would have thought that Ted and B2 are going to have to cover the CHB position between them unless some miracle emerges over pre-season.

I'd have imagined that Ted would be playing on the larger lads, given he is the only current defender of a decent size, meaning he'd be swappinig from FB to CHB from week to week.

Ideally B2 in a flanker...probably the best in the land, Leo will take a pocket - and I hate LRT. Therefore I see a spot for Vogels or Grundy (they both have a somewhat proven versitility that the swannies currently lack), though I haven't seen Grundy play in defence....could he do it at the top level?

liz
4th February 2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Bloody Hell
I'd have imagined that Ted would be playing on the larger lads, given he is the only current defender of a decent size, meaning he'd be swappinig from FB to CHB from week to week.

Ideally B2 in a flanker...probably the best in the land, Leo will take a pocket - and I hate LRT. Therefore I see a spot for Vogels or Grundy (they both have a somewhat proven versitility that the swannies currently lack), though I haven't seen Grundy play in defence....could he do it at the top level?

I think LRT is unfairly maligned by many. Until he hurt his foot, he was going along fine last season - it was an advance on 2005 and he seemed to be continuing his gradual improvement.

That said, I do agree with ROK's comment elsewhere that he's not the most creative CHB. His value is primarily as a stopper. It's unlikely that his career will be compared to his boss' when he retires. However, a player who can reasonably contain the likes of Riewoldt and Brown is a decent asset to the team.

With LRT out to start the season, some rejigging will have to occur. It is unlikely that Leo will be moved to a pocket, given he's been the FB for the last few seasons and there's no-one else obviously ready to step into his shoes. And particularly with LRT out to start, it's doubly unlikely to happen since Ted will probably be needed to cover him.

I have often wondered to myself whether Grundy could make a full back but it doesn't seem to be a role the coaching staff have tried to groom him for. He has very very rarely been given stints down back in the reserves - much less frequently than Vogels.

And my earlier comments weren't intended to write-off Vogels altogether from a defensive role - rather to point out that stepping straight into the CHB position from nowhere is unlikely to happen. He could get a role as a third man / spare man - the kind of role Richards played at times last year.

And maybe Sam Rowe is another option. He's a nice size, moves well and looks to have a very level head on him. Even though a rookie, I think the "nominated rookie" rule would allow him to play senior football. Will be interesting to see how he goes during this pre-season.

Another one to watch with interest over the next few weeks is Kieran Jack. With Crouch also likely to miss the start of the season, there is a spot available for a small back pocket, and Jack is probably the one whose physical attributes are most like Crouch's. A combination of Bevan and Schneider is probably a more obvious option to cover Crouch, but I'll be very interested to see if Jack can show enough over pre-season to put his name into the hat, in much the same way that Bevan did a few years ago.

Bloody Hell
4th February 2007, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by liz
I think LRT is unfairly maligned by many. Until he hurt his foot, he was going along fine last season - it was an advance on 2005 and he seemed to be continuing his gradual improvement.

That said, I do agree with ROK's comment elsewhere that he's not the most creative CHB. His value is primarily as a stopper. It's unlikely that his career will be compared to his boss' when he retires. However, a player who can reasonably contain the likes of Riewoldt and Brown is a decent asset to the team.

With LRT out to start the season, some rejigging will have to occur. It is unlikely that Leo will be moved to a pocket, given he's been the FB for the last few seasons and there's no-one else obviously ready to step into his shoes. And particularly with LRT out to start, it's doubly unlikely to happen since Ted will probably be needed to cover him.

I think it was evident through the second half of last season that age is starting to tell on Leo. Had he been playing in another team he'd have been standing on the small marking forward his whole career. The things that make him able to punch above his weight class, particularly his leap, didn't seem there and he was relying on "infringing" to stop his man. He gave away alot of frees last year. I hope he can do it this year....but if a tough call has to be made, I hope they make it.

With LRT, I'll wait for seasons end to make a definative judgement, but I don't think he's the best option. If there was space on game day to have someone who could mark the oppositions resting ruckman, he'd be No.1 on the list...but there isn't. When anyone defends him they always point to the 2005 GF. In the first quarter I think he had something like 8 touches. But if you watch it with an eye on him, the ball kept falling to him...it was pure luck, not skill.

I think he lacks leg speed as well, and he's un-co. That dropped mark in the 2006 GF, unforgivable. CHB should be natural athletes...I don't see it in him.

For him to stay 2007 must be his year.

SimonH
5th February 2007, 01:04 AM
Vogels ain't likely to go straight in & play on the opposition's best or 2nd-best big forward; but now he is far more likely to get picked in the 22 than he was, before this happened. He has a window of opportunity to show that he belongs as a regular selection in the side.

Nolie
5th February 2007, 02:19 AM

Bit harsh.

liz
5th February 2007, 02:33 AM

When anyone defends him they always point to the 2005 GF.

Not me. I point to the final third of the 2005 season when he barely played a poor game, increased in confidence on a weekly basis, and finally established himself as an important cog in the defence. His GF performance didn't surprise me - it was a natural progression from what he'd shown in the preceding weeks.

And I point to the continuation of that form that he showed for all but the last month and a half of the 2006 season - at which point we know he started struggling with a foot injury.

I think he lacks leg speed as well, and he's un-co. That dropped mark in the 2006 GF, unforgivable. CHB should be natural athletes...I don't see it in him.

For him to stay 2007 must be his year.

He may not be about to win any GF sprints but in terms of endurance he's probably one of the most natural athletes in the squad. At CHB it is endurance that is mostly required, moreso than raw speed, since most of the CHFs rely on the ground they cover more than explosiveness.

As for his dropped mark, surely it is no more unforgivable than obvious blunders by the likes of Buchanan, Kennelly, Hall or Bolton? Or the non-performance of Jolly? Are they also on their last chance?

Bloody Hell
5th February 2007, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by liz
Not me. I point to the final third of the 2005 season when he barely played a poor game, increased in confidence on a weekly basis, and finally established himself as an important cog in the defence. His GF performance didn't surprise me - it was a natural progression from what he'd shown in the preceding weeks.

And I point to the continuation of that form that he showed for all but the last month and a half of the 2006 season - at which point we know he started struggling with a foot injury.

I didn't see it that way. I thought his GF performance was his best game of the season, head and shoulders above the preceding matches. The fact that this was the most important game of the year magnified the difference again. The foot injury is understandable...why I wanted to wait till seasons end before passing judgement - He's played around 50 games, 2006 wasn't a very consistant year for LRT.

Originally posted by liz

He may not be about to win any GF sprints but in terms of endurance he's probably one of the most natural athletes in the squad. At CHB it is endurance that is mostly required, moreso than raw speed, since most of the CHFs rely on the ground they cover more than explosiveness.

As for his dropped mark, surely it is no more unforgivable than obvious blunders by the likes of Buchanan, Kennelly, Hall or Bolton? Or the non-performance of Jolly? Are they also on their last chance?

I agree he has a big engine for a big man, it's the main component of his arsenal that allows him to be effective,but so do the players he marks. I was refering to leg speed compared to his opponents.

Unforgiveable was the wrong word...I meant inconceiveable.

Week in and week out he has a job to do and in doing his best more often than not he does an adequate job. I just feel there is potential on the list that could conceivably do the job better...with more creativity and confidence. I'm looking forward to the start of the season knowing that someone will get that chance. Whether they take it or not is another issue.

liz
5th February 2007, 07:19 AM
I didn't see it that way. I thought his GF performance was his best game of the season, head and shoulders above the preceding matches.

Go and dig out a tape of any of the late season games and have another look. The round 20 Lions game is a good place to start. And if you look back at threads on here from that time you will see even the most sceptical LRT-sceptics acknowledging his rapid improvement.

I just feel there is potential on the list that could conceivably do the job better...with more creativity and confidence.

Such as?

Bloody Hell
5th February 2007, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by liz
Go and dig out a tape of any of the late season games and have another look. The round 20 Lions game is a good place to start. And if you look back at threads on here from that time you will see even the most sceptical LRT-sceptics acknowledging his rapid improvement.
I didn't say he wasn't improving I said "I thought his GF performance was his best game of the season, head and shoulders above the preceding matches. The fact that this was the most important game of the year magnified the difference again."
If he played like that every week I'd have nothing to post, but "2006 wasn't a very consistant year for LRT."

Originally posted by liz

Such as?
Vogels or Grundy...

I'm looking forward to the start of the season knowing that someone will get that chance. Whether they take it or not is another issue.
As you've already said it's extremely unlikely either will slot into CHB, but the addition of Vogels would give another set of legs running out of arguably the most attacking defense in the league. As I've already said I haven't seen Grundy in the back half, so can't comment....I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do, in attempting to develop a player who can switch between front and back....to be honest if there's oppourtunity It'd be great if both could be developed to fill this sort of role.

Sanecow
5th February 2007, 11:41 AM
Last year, LRT owned Jonathon Brown (round 6 - didn't kick a goal on LRT but then followed up with bags of 8.4, 7.0 and 7.3!) and Matthew Richardson (round 16 - didn't kick a goal and his lowest possession game of the year). We would have made the grand final without those wins.

swantastic
5th February 2007, 11:51 AM
Last year, LRT owned Jonathon Brown (round 6 - didn't kick a goal on LRT but then followed up with bags of 8.4, 7.0 and 7.3!) and Matthew Richardson (round 16 - didn't kick a goal and his lowest possession game of the year). We would have made the grand final without those wins. May be so but a couple of good games don't make a good player.

Sanecow
5th February 2007, 11:57 AM
May be so but a couple of good games don't make a good player.

They can make a season though!

swantastic
5th February 2007, 12:24 PM
They can make a season though! Ala Nick Davis.

reigning premier
5th February 2007, 01:03 PM
Colless has my respect and admiration. Roos has my respect as a coach. There is no one who does not respect and admire Goodes. Hall and Barry have my respect as players and leaders. Kirk has my respect for what his has achieved on the football field and his courage. I think he is overrated though and is a stopper rather than a creator. Similalrly I admire J Bolton's courage and endeavour. His ability leaves something to be desired. MOL is a favourite for his 'silky' skills and his antics each time he gets bumped. His is a one of a kind and has both my respect and admiration. RO'K is another favourite - except when he pings away and lobs them in the crowd.

I like most of the others, respect the work they do to achieve what they have and admire their abilities. Of course Davis is a favourite because he can do the almost impossible, can win a game or two of his own boot and will entertain. Benny Mathews is a player I do not have much time for - but again respect and admire what he has achieved.

LRT has my respect and some admiration but is terribly overrated - his first half of the '05 GF was not that good, the ball seemed to find him moreso than him finding the ball. He has improved and is now a big tagger - a stopper of opposition forwards. While this is a major part of being a back he is not a true CHB imo, and I would much rather see a more creative player in the position. He still lapses into the realm of the hopeless occasionaly. If he is the best we have got then so be it, I will cheer him on whenever he wears the red and white.

Crouch is another that I have been critical of. He was becoming a liability last year and probably played throgh to much pain for too long - and dare I say it put himself before the team. I do not think he will ever be the player he was and I honestly think that his career is as good as over. That does not mean that I have no respect or admiration for him.

Probably the only player that I do not really like is Jolly. He is not a great tap ruckman and gives us bugger all around the ground. In his defence he was pretty much the only ruckman for most of the year and probably struggled under that burden but I just feel that there is something lazy about him and that if the Donk stays fit, he will be rucking in Canberra by the split round.

Luckily it's only your opinion and won't make one iota of difference.......

reigning premier
5th February 2007, 01:07 PM
Vogels or Ted.. Leaning to Ted....

I'd like to say Dempster as well but he's a bit more useful up fwd than back...

Bleed Red Blood
5th February 2007, 03:17 PM
I thought his GF performance was his best game of the season, head and shoulders above the preceding matches.

Yet..

When anyone defends him they always point to the 2005 GF. In the first quarter I think he had something like 8 touches. But if you watch it with an eye on him, the ball kept falling to him...it was pure luck, not skill.

Originally posted by reigning premier
I'd like to say Dempster as well but he's a bit more useful up fwd than back...

Dempster playing as a forward? When?

reigning premier
5th February 2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Bleed Red Blood

Dempster playing as a forward? When?

I'd say from 31st March, 2007.

Sanecow
5th February 2007, 03:46 PM
I'd say from 31st March, 2007.

With 5.3 over a period of 40 games to his name he really looks the goods. :rolleyes:

swantastic
5th February 2007, 03:50 PM
I'd say from 31st March, 2007. I doubt it very much he's only a defender.TK and NM will push more forward than SD.IMO.

reigning premier
5th February 2007, 05:12 PM
I doubt it very much he's only a defender.TK and NM will push more forward than SD.IMO.

Luckily I'm still leaning to Ted!

goswannie14
5th February 2007, 05:17 PM
Yet..

Dempster playing as a forward? When? Graham Dempster was handy up forward on his day, but I thought we were talking about Sean.:confused:

ROK Lobster
5th February 2007, 06:27 PM
It wont happen (and I am not saying it should) but I still reckon RO'K is (potentially) the best CHB on the list.

NMWBloods
5th February 2007, 06:57 PM
Luckily it's only your opinion and won't make one iota of difference....... Some opinion here does...?

timthefish
5th February 2007, 07:06 PM
It wont happen (and I am not saying it should) but I still reckon RO'K is (potentially) the best CHB on the list.

i reckon he'd go alright. strong body, low centre of balance and outstanding marking ability combined with a high workrate. might not have the reach for riewoldt but he'd beat most to the spilled ball with his ability to get low and stay on line.

i wonder how good he'd be as a playmaker though.

as you've indicated, he uses these attributes just as well if not better up forward - here's hoping he can get his kicking together again this year.

Claret
5th February 2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by timthefish
i reckon he'd go alright (ROK at CHB). strong body, low centre of balance and outstanding marking ability combined with a high workrate. might not have the reach for riewoldt but he'd beat most to the spilled ball with his ability to get low and stay on line.He'd also force his opponent to be accountable, by reputation alone.

Bloody Hell
6th February 2007, 04:41 AM
Yet..

And these statements conflict how...:confused:

Bloody Hell
6th February 2007, 04:44 AM
Then hypothetically taking LRT will be unavailable for round 1 and the Eagles have the same foward line as the GF, who will mark:

1. Lynch

2. Hansen

3. Hunter if the situation arises

Bloody Hell
6th February 2007, 05:25 AM
With 5.3 over a period of 40 games to his name he really looks the goods. :rolleyes:

I bet they are 5 cracking goals though! On the run 50m out...long bomb, he seems to only know one way.

reigning premier
6th February 2007, 09:54 AM
Then hypothetically taking LRT will be unavailable for round 1 and the Eagles have the same foward line as the GF, who will mark:

1. Lynch

2. Hansen

3. Hunter if the situation arises

Lynch = Bolton

Hansen = Barry

Hunter = RO'K (Now this would be a great contest)

hammo
6th February 2007, 09:57 AM
He is also Hall's natural successor as CHF.

AnnieH
6th February 2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by hammo
He is also Hall's natural successor as CHF.

Pulease. Duck Butt is not the "natural" successor as CHF.
He's got a lot of "straight kicking" practice to do before that happens, oh ... and he might wanna grow an extra four or five centimetres and put on an extra 20 kgs. IMO, it will also help if duck butt got a bit of "attitude" as well.

Sanecow
6th February 2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Annie Haddad
Pulease. Duck Butt is not the "natural" successor as CHF.
He's got a lot of "straight kicking" practice to do before that happens, oh ... and he might wanna grow an extra four or five centimetres and put on an extra 20 kgs. IMO, it will also help if duck butt got a bit of "attitude" as well.

He's an AA HFF FFS.

AnnieH
6th February 2007, 12:11 PM
He's an AA HFF FFS.

Who kicks a lot of behinds.