PDA

View Full Version : Near Live.

goswannie14
9th February 2007, 04:16 PM
What the hell is "near live"??? I always thought if something isn't live it's delayed. Is "near live" the new AFL spin for delayed telecasts, so that Melburnians, and others on occassions think that the game they are watching isn't delayed?

I remember someone saying a few years ago when 7 was delaing the night sessions of the tennis that they made a killing making bets with people about who would win a given match that was adverstised as being shown "live", (or near live in AFL speak) on a 1 hour delay.

Sanecow
9th February 2007, 04:28 PM
It's a pretty stupid expression but I think that it at least means that the game is still running when the broadcast begins.

Triple B
9th February 2007, 04:52 PM
It's not too difficult.

For NSW, in almost every case, near live means games that start at 7:10pm ie: Sat night games, the broadcast won't start until 7:30 in the major cities.

I can live with that, but it means I need to text DrJ and Reggi with "No SMS, it's on delay up here !!!!"

I remember when the Swans came back from 32 points down against the Lions a few years back, I received a text at 3/4 time (on the tele) "Cheer, Cheer the Red and the White" from a mate. Yeah, bloody terrific, thx for that, a-hole.

It wasn't until Barry Hall was lining up that last goal that I realised he wasn't taking the p1ss, he actually had just finished watching it live in Melbourne.

Jeffers1984
9th February 2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by BBB

I remember when the Swans came back from 32 points down against the Lions a few years back, I received a text at 3/4 time (on the tele) "Cheer, Cheer the Red and the White" from a mate. Yeah, bloody terrific, thx for that, a-hole.

hahaha i had the same kind of text too. I already stopped the recording of the game as i thought it was gone (cause we were playing like absolute crap) then i get a msg from a friend in SA saying " YES, Go SwannieS!" i had to ring her straight away to ask wtf she was on about lol.

Mike_B
9th February 2007, 06:33 PM
Not real fans - should have been there! Of course at 3/4 time I was bemoaning the fact I'd wasted money on two more interstate trips that year. How quickly things changed....

nat
9th February 2007, 06:48 PM
Haha, i was screaming so loud that night that my mum thought the neighbours were going to call the police. Fun times.

NMWBloods
9th February 2007, 06:51 PM
All local games are delayed telecasts into Melbourne. What's the problem with that? Who cares what they call it!

goswannie14
9th February 2007, 06:59 PM
I just think "near live" is a stupid term. It's spin gone crazy. It's either live or it's delayed, dont try to make up terms to make it sound better than it is.

Norris Lurker
9th February 2007, 07:15 PM
Even the games they claim are "live" are on 7 second delay - same with any sport. Try turning the sound down and listening on the radio for proof of that.

goswannie14
9th February 2007, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Norris Lurker
Even the games they claim are "live" are on 7 second delay - same with any sport. Try turning the sound down and listening on the radio for proof of that. Is that in case the commentators swear, like the 7 second delay on talkback radio?

NMWBloods
9th February 2007, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by goswannie14
I just think "near live" is a stupid term. It's spin gone crazy. It's either live or it's delayed, dont try to make up terms to make it sound better than it is. I agree - it is stupid.

Triple B
9th February 2007, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
I agree - it is stupid.

I disagree.

I think the point they are trying to make is that it is on something like a 20-30 minute delay to fit programming.

Delayed is like a 11:30 replay and I believe they are trying to make that distinction.

And there is a distinction !! For example Swans games from Melbourne on a Saturday night (remember I'm talking a Sydney perspective here) that start at 7:10 have been shown 'near live' at 7:30. I have no qualms about watching the games as if live, without finding out the score. If however the coverage did not start until 10:30 or later, my preference would be to obtain radio coverage live and watch the replay later. I could not sit around for 3 hours wondering how we went, would drive me insane.

NMWBloods
9th February 2007, 09:44 PM
The delayed games in Melbourne have only been about 30-40. minutes.

j s
10th February 2007, 10:41 AM
Even when the broadcast is "true live" I often watch "near live" anyway (especially on non-Swans games) so that I can skip the ad breaks until I catch up. The advantage of a PVR!

laughingnome
11th February 2007, 11:46 AM
There's nothing new about "near-live" broadcasting. The AFL doesn't want to see gate takings drop so the game is not shown live into the city it is being played. Simple. "Near-live" is a perfectly acceptable term as we all know it will be close to a live broadcast (delayed for less then an hour, usually half) as opposed to "delayed" which implies a start much later.

Stop making mountains out of molehills.

Carolyn
11th February 2007, 04:02 PM
Nothing is live unless you are actually there. Everything else is delayed. Sure, it might be a few seconds, but that still means it's delayed.

ScottH
11th February 2007, 06:53 PM
Near Live >> Near Dead.

hammo
12th February 2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by laughingnome
There's nothing new about "near-live" broadcasting. The AFL doesn't want to see gate takings drop so the game is not shown live into the city it is being played. Simple.
How does that explain why Swans Saturday night matches in Melbourne are shown on half an hour delay in Sydney??

goswannie14
12th February 2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by laughingnome
"Near-live" is a perfectly acceptable term as we all know it will be close to a live broadcast (delayed for less then an hour, usually half) as opposed to "delayed" which implies a start much later. So next time your train is late it's "near live" rather than delayed?;)

goswannie14
12th February 2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by hammo
How does that explain why Swans Saturday night matches in Melbourne are shown on half an hour delay in Sydney?? Only channel 10 knows the answer to that, given that they have often shown other games at the actual starting time on Saturday nights.:rolleyes:

Sanecow
12th February 2007, 04:49 PM
A one point loss is actually a "near win".

swantastic
13th February 2007, 11:38 PM
Heres a near live (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21204631-5006065,00.html) story.

ScottH
14th February 2007, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by swantastic
Heres a near live (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21204631-5006065,00.html) story. Swans with tatts.

Doctor
15th February 2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by goswannie14
So next time your train is late it's "near live" rather than delayed?;)

That's brilliant! I may use that one. Superb work! :)