PDA

View Full Version : Injury update 19 Feb

liz
19th February 2007, 09:43 PM
Schneider out for 'up to six weeks'.

http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=315466

But there are some other injuries that haven't been publised and which could open up opportunities for newbies at the start of the H&A - particularly Ablett out for 6 with a hamstring problem. Grundy with a back problem isn't something I'd heard anything about either.

And of course an injury list wouldn't be an injury list without Doyle!

http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=315463

cruiser
19th February 2007, 09:45 PM
Bugger. Last time he did his hammy it took him ages to find form again.

ROK Lobster
19th February 2007, 09:50 PM
No Crouch?

Sanecow
19th February 2007, 11:45 PM
"Skneider"

SimonH
20th February 2007, 12:52 AM
That is one freakin' ordinary list for the pre-season. Especially for talls. Looks like they've all been slipping on banana peels over new year. I'd wondered where Grundy was, 'cos at this stage of his development trial games against proper AFL opponents would be like gold.

The net effect is that for round 1 we are pretty much guaranteed to have no Doyle (always slow to get back to full pace even after theoretically 'fit'), and absolutely guaranteed to have no LRT or Grundy (barring a miracle recovery). So much for the recent injection of height into the Swans' list.

If Luke Vogels or another tall goes down, Jesse White could become the fastest-debuting Swans draft pick since the desperation 'we'll try anyone!' days of the early '90s.

Bloody Hell
20th February 2007, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by liz
Schneider out for 'up to six weeks'.

http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=315466

PLAYER INJURY STATUS
Jarred Moore ankle 1-2 weeks
Stephen Doyle calf 4 weeks
Adam Schneider hamstring 4-6 weeks
Matthew O'Dwyer knee 6 weeks
Luke Brennan knee 6 weeks
Heath Grundy back 6 weeks
Luke Ablett hamstring 6 weeks
Lewis Roberts-Thomson foot indefinite

Anything more definate than the indefinate for LRT?

ScottH
20th February 2007, 06:34 AM
Stephen Doyle calf 4 weeks Well, that one is a big surprise.

ScottH
20th February 2007, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Bloody Hell
Anything more definate than the indefinate for LRT?
Carried the injury through last seasons finals series and is said to return round 3. Injury update (http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/afl.php?sport=AFL&team=Sydney&mascot=Swans)

hammo
20th February 2007, 07:23 AM
That's a shocking list! Since when have hamstrings now become 6 week injuries or are the Swans playing it ultra-safe with the likes of Ablett??

That opens the door for someone like Schmidt to play in round 1.

ScottH
20th February 2007, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by hammo
That's a shocking list! Since when have hamstrings now become 6 week injuries or are the Swans playing it ultra-safe with the likes of Ablett??

That opens the door for someone like Schmidt to play in round 1. 3 spots up for grabs from last years GF.

You'd assume Crouch might fill one.
Spida another.
And maybe Schmidt, as you said, or another youngster.

Mike_B
20th February 2007, 07:51 AM

That opens the door for someone like Schmidt to play in round 1.

Maybe 6 weeks is the 2007 version of the standard 2 week injury??? Or maybe it just means expected to be fit at round 1. Either way, it still isn't a good sign to see so many on that list just from pre-season training (except Schneider and Moore).

Jeffers1984
20th February 2007, 08:21 AM
Geezus the talls are definately the biggest of concern. It was only a hunch that White would get a go this year but i wouldn't think he'd be a chance for round 1!

Phillips has to step up in the forward line for Schneider and i think he can.

reigning premier
20th February 2007, 09:36 AM
Happy to have ALL of our injuries done and out of the way in the first 6 weeks of the season rather than the last 6 weeks of the season!!!

Besides, we lose 4 of our first 6 anyway....

hammo
20th February 2007, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by ScottH

You'd assume Crouch might fill one.

I don't think we'll see Crouch until round 6 at the earliest.

ScottH
20th February 2007, 10:27 AM
I don't think we'll see Crouch until round 6 at the earliest. That would leave 2 spots for Schmidt and maybe Phillips(???) to fill.

Jeffers1984
20th February 2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
That would leave 2 spots for Schmidt and maybe Phillips(???) to fill.
Can't forget Moore. Only out for the week with his ankle. Simpkin is definately in the wings too.

SimonH
20th February 2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by reigning premier
Besides, we lose 4 of our first 6 anyway.... My hot tip- if Sydney go 2:4 in their first 6 this year (or 3:5 after the first 8), they will not make the top 4 (and therefore won't win the flag). And Leo Barry agrees with me. (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21148888-5001023,00.html)

jenky28
20th February 2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
No Crouch?

This is a very positive thing lol im excited! Hope he plays rnd 2 lol in melb!

LRT n Nogs are HUGE losses!!!

reigning premier
20th February 2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by SimonH
My hot tip- if Sydney go 2:4 in their first 6 this year (or 3:5 after the first 8), they will not make the top 4 (and therefore won't win the flag). And Leo Barry agrees with me. (http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21148888-5001023,00.html)

Hey I'm happy to be proven wrong..... I don't see it happening but will be more than happy if we go 6-0... :D

Danzar
20th February 2007, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Jeffers1984
Phillips has to step up in the forward line for Schneider and i think he can.
Agree with that

liz
20th February 2007, 01:58 PM
I'm not overly concerned about the team's ability to cover Schneider in the forward line. Moore has played small cameos in that position, and Phillips is another obvious option.

A bigger hole will be left at the other end of the ground, with Schneider often playing as a back pocket on small, quick forwards and as a rebounder. If Crouch is also going to be missing for a while, there are fewer obvious options to cover this type of role. Bevan is probably the only experienced option, but he's not as quick as either Crouch or Schneider.

Jeffers1984
20th February 2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by liz

A bigger hole will be left at the other end of the ground, with Schneider often playing as a back pocket on small, quick forwards and as a rebounder. If Crouch is also going to be missing for a while, there are fewer obvious options to cover this type of role. Bevan is probably the only experienced option, but he's not as quick as either Crouch or Schneider. Good point Liz. We need someone to "run with" the Daveys and Lovetts to stay with them throughout the game and hurt them the other way with our pace. Unfortunately we dont really have one groomed in the ressies (maybe Laidlaw who has the pace or long shot Thornton/Brabazon who have had stints in the backline). Looks like we may have to put all our faith in Bevo early on.

Jack is another option but is on the rookie list.

liz
20th February 2007, 03:05 PM
Good point Liz. We need someone to "run with" the Daveys and Lovetts to stay with them throughout the game and hurt them the other way with our pace. Unfortunately we dont really have one groomed in the ressies (maybe Laidlaw who has the pace or long shot Thornton/Brabazon who have had stints in the backline). Looks like we may have to put all our faith in Bevo early on.

Jack is another option but is on the rookie list.

Laidlaw may well have the attributes. He is a fair bit taller than Crouch and Schneider, but that doesn't have to be a problem if he can "play small". He looks to be strong above his head and definitely has the leg speed. Craig Bolton has played well on small forwards - though not the out-and-out speedsters like Lovett - so being a bit taller doesn't have to be a problem.

I don't see Thornton filling that kind of role. I doubt he has the speed. He looks more like a wingman to be, though I suspect he'll start with defensive midfield roles on mid-sized or taller players, ala Dempster. He is a similar size and has similar playing attributes to Sundqvist.

I reckon Jack is a more likely option than Brabazon. He's quicker and more of a natural "dasher". It's hard to tell whether he's come on enough since the end of last year purely based on last Friday night, especially since we now know playing football was not the only thing on his mind.

NMWBloods
20th February 2007, 03:34 PM
Doyle again!!

dimelb
20th February 2007, 03:58 PM
Can't forget Moore. Only out for the week with his ankle. Simpkin is definitely in the wings too.
Moore - Jarred but not Shaken.

Sanecow
20th February 2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Doyle again!!

:confused: You seem surprised?

Blood Oath
20th February 2007, 04:57 PM
I would put money on Jack getting in, don't know if i am allowed tho!

satchmopugdog
20th February 2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by dimelb
Moore - Jarred but not Shaken.

Excellent

satchmopugdog
20th February 2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Blood Oath
I would put money on Jack getting in, don't know if i am allowed tho!

Very good as well.

I'm hoping for a Laidlaw debut. There is a kid who has turned up at work who comes from Melb and he is an avid fan,not just of the mighty red and white but also of Laidlaw. Both of us reckon it will give us a lot of run out of defense if he plays. I must admit though I don't know what Laidlaw's tight defensive skills are like so he may be lucky to take that last defensive role.

Nico
20th February 2007, 07:26 PM
Why do we keep pushing up for a proven hack in Bevan. He has been ordinary for 3 years. For goodness sake blood some of the younger players to plug these holes. We might just find a gem out of nothing.

Doesn't the season start in about 6 weeks. The only obvious problem is LRT.

On Ablett, he had a hamstring in the Geelong game and did it in the GF. What's goin on there. He is the biggest concern if he still hasn't got over it in the pre season.

Plugger46
20th February 2007, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Why do we keep pushing up for a proven hack in Bevan. He has been ordinary for 3 years. For goodness sake blood some of the younger players to plug these holes. We might just find a gem out of nothing.

You are like a broken record Nico.

giant
21st February 2007, 01:17 PM
Ablett was at NSO last Friday & didn't appear to be particularly hampered by a leg injury. I suspect they are being on the conservative side there.

Is the Brennan injury a surprise or did we always know we were getting damaged goods?

hammo
21st February 2007, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by giant

Is the Brennan injury a surprise or did we always know we were getting damaged goods?
He had a knee operation late last year. There was an article on the website recently.

http://sydneyswans.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=313362

Looks like the Swans' due diligence only involved a phone call from Longmire on the morning of the rookie draft asking him how his knee was.

He should be OK though.