PDA

View Full Version : Spear Tackles

Reggi
20th July 2003, 01:12 AM
Anyone seen Burgoyne's spear tackle on Kerr, any views on how many weeks he'd get in RL.

IMO should get months - extremely reckless and dangerous. Could do very very serious damage

Steve
20th July 2003, 01:59 AM
NRL Judiciary Points System (http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~nirbhay/prem/nrl/judiciary.htm)

I'm not sure if that is up-to-date and accurate or not.

From what I know Grades 4 and 5 are basically 'intentional' - a serious charge and hence hefty penalty.

Personally I think the AFL Tribunal (especially compared to other codes) have things totally screwed up. More worried by accidental contact with umpires, wresting etc than incidents that actually cause (or potentially cause) serious injury.

cos789
20th July 2003, 02:40 AM
The laws have been changed to encompass any act .
This clearly comes under dangerous and reckless play .
I'll await the penalty to assess their relativity .

Mike_B
20th July 2003, 09:54 AM
I'd say that would have got him 3/4 weeks in league as a "dangerous throw", coz there was definitely no hand between the legs to flip him over.

cos789
21st July 2003, 12:22 AM
On talkback this issue raised this response"in RL you can biffo without any penalty,but a spear tackle is outlawed.In AR you penalised for pushing ,but a spear tackle is OK".I hope the AFL get their priorities right on this one .

aflconvert
24th July 2003, 09:08 PM
Canberra foward Alan Tonue just got 2 weeks for a "grade 2 dangerous throw" on Wests Tigers Terry Hill . I didnt see a replay of the incident but the stills in the paper looked bad and Hill said somehting about how he could have ended up in a wheelchair
so I dont think the NRL is being tougher the the AFL on these sort of takcles anymore ... the reverse seems to be the case

port1978
27th July 2003, 12:37 AM
Just like to point something out. Peter Burgoyne was NOT suspended for a spear tackle. There was no spear tackle. He was suspended for 3 weeks for engaging in rough play.