PDA

View Full Version : Umpires

KirksSocks
1st April 2007, 12:13 AM
What is going on with umpires? Why are the so inconsistent? Not blaming the loss on the maggots..but what is going on????? And why is it that Barry Hall needs to get his head almost ripped off before he gets a free..i bet the umpire thought twice about giving him a free!

Sure our players gave away stupid free kicks..but what does Kirk, Hall and some other needs to do before they get a free these days? Does Kirk need to be carried of in a stretcher with his head caved in before he gets a free?

Is this the directive by that new Carlton idiot Fitzpatrick and his hatred for the swans to make sure every single tackle gets double the attention when an opposition player gets the ball?

And the free that were being picked out in the ruck..whats with that!

I know i will be maybe criticised for mentioning the umpires but the AFL really has issues as we have seen in 3 games today when umpires are just over officiating a game!

Is this the new standard for the season?

573v30
1st April 2007, 12:42 AM
Umps make stupid mistakes all the time, the guys on the 5th Quarter were criticising some of the umps' decisions in the North vs. Collingwood match in particular the "holding the ball" rule.

Hall's free kick was reversed because one of our boys apparently retaliated against Judd or an Eagle and it was deemed reversible by the ump. Channel 10 didn't show the footage but it would've been a stupid attack to turn the ball over or just incompetence on behalf of the ump. Stupid is as stupid does... :rolleyes:

janem
1st April 2007, 01:08 AM
Umps make stupid mistakes all the time, the guys on the 5th Quarter were criticising some of the umps' decisions in the North vs. Collingwood match in particular the "holding the ball" rule.

Hall's free kick was reversed because one of our boys apparently retaliated against Judd or an Eagle and it was deemed reversible by the ump. Channel 10 didn't show the footage but it would've been a stupid attack to turn the ball over or just incompetence on behalf of the ump. Stupid is as stupid does... :rolleyes:

Would be interested to know what the 5th Qtr guys were critisising about the holding the ball rule. I thought tonight the umps interpretation had changed dramatically from last year. Many things that would have been picked up last year were just let go tonight.

desredandwhite
1st April 2007, 01:11 AM
It definitely wasn't really favouring either side IMO, but it was still wildly inconsistent and occasionally baffling.

Hopefully it will settle down in a few rounds - they always seem to over-umpire at the start of the year.. but then the short attention span kicks in and more "normal" footy may commence.

Jeffers1984
1st April 2007, 01:15 AM
29-21 free kick count tonight. TOO MANY @@@@ING FREES. Can they just play the god damn game?

ugg
1st April 2007, 01:19 AM
I thought we got a few lucky ones, which included a few non-calls. Not too perturbed about their performance tonight.

573v30
1st April 2007, 01:19 AM
Would be interested to know what the 5th Qtr guys were critisising about the holding the ball rule. One was a standard 2-on-1 tackle (2 Roos and 1 Magpie) with no opportunity to dispose the ball given a free. WTF...

I'm still loathing about that free against Hall in the Preliminary final, talk about umpiring idiocy.

janem
1st April 2007, 01:26 AM
[QUOTE=desredandwhite;295626]It definitely wasn't really favouring either side IMO, but it was still wildly inconsistent and occasionally baffling.

Yes very baffling. What about the one where Kerr was sitting on top of... (cant remember who, too many wines now) no way our player could get the ball out as Kerr had his scarily, weirdly developed body perched on top of him.

I personally think that the holding the ball rule has been handled really well in the last two GFs.
Do these umpires target a specific rule each year and concentrate on it? I wasn't that upset about how it was enforced tonight, just confused, as it appears to be more lenient than in the last few years.

Wazza
1st April 2007, 02:12 AM
I thought the umpiring was ok I didnt notice it, maybe a couple of times in the first half, the one that was turned over seemed legit IMO.

Would have to say pretty good for round 1 certainly didnt influence the result.

Cheers

Waz

swansrock4eva
1st April 2007, 12:25 PM
At quarter time i was fuming - i think it was twice hall had his head ripped off for no free, and the umps were so continually on the wrong side of the play to miss obvious throws etc that it wasn't funny! Plus the inconsistency with that stupid new in the back interpretation! Urgh! Overall I agree that the umpires weren't overly favouring either side but I was still cranky :p

One decision that i think was extremely good though was where an eagles player had 2 bites at the mark, one inside and one outside the line - the field up called for the mark but the boundary correctly overruled him and called for a throw in - full marks to the boundary for being there to see it, rather than anohter 5-10m back where he would have missed it.

satchmopugdog
1st April 2007, 12:28 PM
On the telecast you could hear the central ump saying "Good decision" about that incident.

schwattasboots
1st April 2007, 01:54 PM
i thought there were lots off frees that the umpires gave the west coast eagles

i wish we did not have vozzo ryan and jefferys

Sanecow
1st April 2007, 01:58 PM
I was annoyed at some decisions against us (high tackles!) but I also recall that there were a few we got away with.

NMWBloods
1st April 2007, 02:19 PM
I don't think either side was favoured, but it's often a lottery now, and not just in the ruck duels.

Agent 86
1st April 2007, 03:27 PM
The main umpiring decisions that continues to drive me crazy is their interpretation of "holding the ball" when a player in possession is pinned on the ground (often with the tackler holding the ball to him whilst sitting on top) with no possible way of getting rid of it. Saw it again last night.

I didn't see the Jolly reversed decision but I have no doubt he did something stupid. A lobotomy is in order.