PDA

View Full Version : Davis - Foward line naked without him

Nico
8th April 2007, 09:53 PM
Just to get the juices flowing. I thought his skill and finishing was missing badly yesterday. He also gives another midfield option.

When Hall got injured we just didn't have a genuine target to go to.

A naked forward line indeed.

ROK Lobster
8th April 2007, 09:59 PM
I tell you what Nico, a naked Ryan O'Keefe in the forward line would get the collective juices of the Noble stand flowing - Kenny and his harem may well drown.

I just posted in another thread that Brisbane without Hall or Davis could post a real challenge for us next weekend. Maybe we should play all our crumbers and get Benny pumping it in at ground level...

I think we need Goodes to add another string to his harp and kick more goals, and have Mal and Dempster move up the ground more. Or start Kennelly on the HFF.

But, without Hall or Davis we did lack something up foirward. MOL to kick 6 next week.

sydneyswans1989
8th April 2007, 10:01 PM
Just to get the juices flowing. I thought his skill and finishing was missing badly yesterday. He also gives another midfield option.

A naked forward line indeed.

Indeed we did miss Davis on saturday but we have to back Grunts to fill his place for the next month & provide midfielders with an option in which he didn't do much of on saturday. If we head to next sunday's game against the lions without Hall then Micky O & Grunts are going to have to establish something special which I think they can do.

Xie Shan
8th April 2007, 10:11 PM
I tell you what Nico, a naked Ryan O'Keefe in the forward line would get the collective juices of the Noble stand flowing - Kenny and his harem may well drown.

If this doesn't bring Bon back, nothing will!!

If Baz is out next Sunday, I'd like us to try a smaller forward line as an experiment. I think back to how the 2005 GF nearly turned in WC's favour when they went smaller up forward. It's been ages since we've tried something different. I remember ROK kicked 4 or 5 from FF in a game at the end of 2002. With clothes on, though. :p

matthew smith
8th April 2007, 10:48 PM
don't you think that davis can be lazy sometimes, as for hall if he's out this week, vogels might get his chance or give Jessie White a go.

DST
8th April 2007, 11:22 PM
If this doesn't bring Bon back, nothing will!!

If Baz is out next Sunday, I'd like us to try a smaller forward line as an experiment. I think back to how the 2005 GF nearly turned in WC's favour when they went smaller up forward. It's been ages since we've tried something different. I remember ROK kicked 4 or 5 from FF in a game at the end of 2002. With clothes on, though. :p

Agree it's always good to shake things up a bit, but this is not the week to go with a small forward line.

Brisbane have a very short and agile back six at present (much like ours) that enjoys running the ball.

We saw how Richmond struggled to cope with a taller forward line and they are similar to Brisbane in structure.

I reckon the Donk might get a call up this week to play exclusively from the square with Mikey O in front of him and Scheinder at their feet. This leaves Grundy & ROK to move up field to be played through.

DST

Triple B
8th April 2007, 11:44 PM
I reckon the Donk might get a call up this week

Wouldn't surprise me, or disappoint me, at all.

Not necessarily for him to play forward, rather for Spida to play forward with cameos in the ruck, shared by Jolly and Doyle.

Could depend on if Charman comes up or not for Brisbane.

goswannie14
9th April 2007, 05:43 AM
Not necessarily for him to play forward, rather for Spida to play forward with cameos in the ruck, shared by Jolly and Doyle. I was saying this in the off season, and would love to see how it would work for at least one game.

cruiser
9th April 2007, 09:00 AM

A naked forward line indeed.I don't agree. We have multiple alternative options up forward: eg MOL, ROK, Vogels, resting Jolly or Spida up forward, resting Goodes up forward.

Chow-Chicker
9th April 2007, 10:50 AM
I don't agree. We have multiple alternative options up forward: eg MOL, ROK, Vogels, resting Jolly or Spida up forward, resting Goodes up forward.
Agree.

By the way, where is Reg Grundy?

573v30
9th April 2007, 04:47 PM
Agree.

By the way, where is Reg Grundy? Somewhere in the forward line I hope. I thought his #39 jersey gave him magic powers to take speckies at full forward. Maybe later this year. ;)

Nico
9th April 2007, 11:09 PM
I don't agree. We have multiple alternative options up forward: eg MOL, ROK, Vogels, resting Jolly or Spida up forward, resting Goodes up forward.

My point wasn't that we dont have options, but we look a lot better with the dangerous Davis in there. He finishes way better than those named above and only needs a few opportunities.

The Big Cat
9th April 2007, 11:09 PM
I think from memory that Merritt played on BBB last time they met and did a pretty good job. If Hall doesn't play, I think Vogels could get the gig. He was a key forward for Mortlake-Terang when Barham spotted him. He's a good pack mark and pretty quick on the lead. And he's the most accurate kick in our squad.

NMWBloods
9th April 2007, 11:16 PM
I'd like to see our forward line with Vogels and Grundy.

stellation
10th April 2007, 08:34 AM
My point wasn't that we dont have options, but we look a lot better with the dangerous Davis in there. He finishes way better than those named above and only needs a few opportunities.
I thought that was your point, but didn't want to join in as I am just about so pro-Davis that my addition to debate is redundant ;)
I view Hall and Davis as our only consistently dangerous match winners as forwards. As is often stated, we have a wonderful forward line on paper but a lot of those guys are great complimentary pieces, or guys who can shine and kick a bag on occassion, or guys who really excel further away from goals, or guys that you are on edge when they have a shot from straight in front 30 metres out because you just don't know if they put their kicking boots on today or not. Barry and Nick are the guys who I feel confident in being able to consistently turn a couple of touches into a couple of goals.