PDA

View Full Version : Swans Vs Lions Pre Match Talk

Jeffers1984
11th April 2007, 02:06 PM
Didn't see one of these threads.

Key Matchups:

C Bolts VS Brown: Big match up for C Bolton. Was up to the task on Richo last week but Brown is in really good form atm. We will need a Superted or ruckman filling in the space in front.

Kirk VS Black: Another lion in tremendous form. Big clearence winner and will need Kirk to shut him down and make him accountable.

Mcveigh VS Sherman: Cannot let the Sheramnator roam free. Has expolosive pace to break lines and can be a dangerous goal kicker. Macca cannot let him loose.

O'Loughlin VS Brennan. Brennan seems to have found his niche in the backline. Can Micky O start to fire in round 3 after being in and out the last 2 games?

We cannot underestimate their young enthusiastic midfielders. Rischetelli and Stiller are great ball magnets who have been in great form.

We should win but this will be a very tight match.

Sanecow
11th April 2007, 02:14 PM
Merrett v Hall? Merrett beat Gehrig and Hall (should he play) won't be 100%

ugg
11th April 2007, 02:16 PM
Who will take Rischitelli and Stiller? They've been terrific in the first 2 rounds. Ablett and Dempster perhaps.

The talk on the Lions board is that Begley or Fixter (or perhaps both!) will mark Goodes.

hammo
11th April 2007, 02:38 PM
Who will take Rischitelli and Stiller? They've been terrific in the first 2 rounds. Ablett and Dempster perhaps.

The talk on the Lions board is that Begley or Fixter (or perhaps both!) will mark Goodes.

How tall is Fixter?!! :confused:

Anyone else slightly deflated by the fact that despite playing in the past two grand finals we are talking tags for a couple of 21 year olds??

Snake
11th April 2007, 02:41 PM

Fixter on Goodes, I hope so, the goodes machine will run him into the ground.:cool:

ugg
11th April 2007, 02:50 PM
Anyone else slightly deflated by the fact that despite playing in the past two grand finals we are talking tags for a couple of 21 year olds??

I don't see how that fact is relevant. These 2 have been the most profilic Lions midfielders thus far, more so than Black and Power and hence their influence must be curbed.

hammo
11th April 2007, 03:11 PM
I don't see how that fact is relevant. These 2 have been the most profilic Lions midfielders thus far, more so than Black and Power and hence their influence must be curbed.
I am simply saying that I am disappointed opposition coaches aren't left to ponder who'll play on Ablett, Kirk etc more often because our gameplan dictates that the tagging options are almost always decided by the Swans.

NMWBloods
11th April 2007, 03:20 PM
I am simply saying that I am disappointed opposition coaches aren't left to ponder who'll play on Ablett, Kirk etc more often because our gameplan dictates that the tagging options are almost always decided by the Swans.
An unfortunate outcome of following the Swans.

RogueSwan
11th April 2007, 03:43 PM

Looking at this Blions bigfooty thread (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310150&page=4) a few appeared concerned about Goodes, Irish, Spida and Magic. none of midfielders are mentioned. Is Goodes a midfielder?

Sanecow
11th April 2007, 03:46 PM
An unfortunate outcome of following the Swans.

Only in recent times!

cruiser
11th April 2007, 03:55 PM
Fixter on Goodes, I hope so, the goodes machine will run him into the ground.:cool:
Aftre two quiet (for Goodes) games from our dual Brownlow medalist he's due for a big game.

Carolyn
11th April 2007, 04:09 PM
Is Crouch playing? Too bad Akermanis isn't in the Lions team anymore...

swantastic
11th April 2007, 04:10 PM
RLTWho is that.:confused:

Jeffers1984
11th April 2007, 04:13 PM
Is Crouch playing? Too bad Akermanis isn't in the Lions team anymore...

Most likely playing in the 2s.

Who are the likely replacements for Hall because i don't think he'll get up.

Vogels is the most obvious choice. Tall Forward for Tall Forward
Moore for extra grunt in the midfield and play as a small forward.
Phillips may get another chance releasing Schneider in the midfield.
White unlikely but you never know.

swantastic
11th April 2007, 04:21 PM
Why not give the "Unit" a run and see how he goes.If he goes well great but if he @@@@s up theres plenty of people on RWO that will bag the @@@@ out of him.So he's got a 50/50 chance.

hammo
11th April 2007, 04:31 PM
Most likely playing in the 2s.

Who are the likely replacements for Hall because i don't think he'll get up.

Vogels is the most obvious choice. Tall Forward for Tall Forward
Moore for extra grunt in the midfield and play as a small forward.
Phillips may get another chance releasing Schneider in the midfield.
White unlikely but you never know.
I'm not sure who'll come in but I'd expect Richards to spend more time up forward if Hall is out.

Perhaps ROK will get first crack at CHF??

ugg
11th April 2007, 04:51 PM
Bring back the Donk!

Bloody Hell
12th April 2007, 03:25 AM
Yes.

Load the midfield and give some youngsters a chance up forward.

revolsnaws
12th April 2007, 03:49 AM
I just hope Fixter dont come back and bite us on the bum,ya know what those Wagga boys are like!:(

Matt79
12th April 2007, 11:07 AM
Only in recent times!

Recent times being 05 premiers and 06 grand finalists...I will take our game plan thank you.

giant
12th April 2007, 11:34 AM

I think you're kidding yourself - any opposition that didn't have plans for Kirk, Goodes, Kennelly, O'Keefe, at least, would be setting themselves up for a very big fall. And then there's our forward line.

In the two games we've played this season, both opposition teams have had very defensive game plans that have included tagging, extra men in defence, double-teaming etc.

Eala ?ireann
12th April 2007, 11:48 AM
Will be disappointed not to see Hall vs Merritt if it doesn't happen. The young fella had a great tussle with Bazza last year. Baz got some of his much missed aggression on. I'd love to see more of it in general....

hammo
12th April 2007, 01:05 PM
I think you're kidding yourself - any opposition that didn't have plans for Kirk, Goodes, Kennelly, O'Keefe, at least, would be setting themselves up for a very big fall. And then there's our forward line.

In the two games we've played this season, both opposition teams have had very defensive game plans that have included tagging, extra men in defence, double-teaming etc.

Are you saying Judd was tagging McVeigh in round 1?? :rolleyes:

giant
12th April 2007, 01:48 PM
Are you saying Judd was tagging McVeigh in round 1?? :rolleyes:

No, I don't believe I did say that.

NMWBloods
12th April 2007, 03:00 PM
I think opposition coaches will plan around most of our players - it would be remiss of them not to. The main ones they would focus on would be Hall, O'Keefe, Kirk, Kennelly, Goodes.

swantastic
12th April 2007, 03:04 PM
I think opposition coaches will plan around most of our players - it would be remiss of them not to. The main ones they would focus on would be Hall, O'Keefe, Kirk, Kennelly, Goodes.What about Melcho?

NMWBloods
12th April 2007, 03:09 PM
What about Melcho?
I doubt he gets special attention yet.

Jeffers1984
12th April 2007, 03:11 PM

Not till later this year when they will have to since he'll be tearing the league apart..*fingers crossed*

Claret
12th April 2007, 03:12 PM
What about Melcho?

. . . other than from my sister-in-law

(and she's not a coach)

DeadlyAkkuret
12th April 2007, 06:27 PM
How tall is Fixter?!! :confused:

Earth to hammo. The Brisbane community on BF aren't part of the Lions coaching staff, and possibly don't know who Brisbane is actually worried about.

hammo
12th April 2007, 07:28 PM
Earth to hammo. The Brisbane community on BF aren't part of the Lions coaching staff, and possibly don't know who Brisbane is actually worried about.
My comment refers to Swans fans and our gameplan in general, not Lions fans on BF.

ROK Lobster
12th April 2007, 07:31 PM
I think opposition coaches will plan around most of our players - it would be remiss of them not to. The main ones they would focus on would be Hall, O'Keefe, Kirk, Kennelly, Goodes.I'm sure that the thought of Jude Bolton and Kirk running unchecked through the middle gives most coaches nightmares.

DeadlyAkkuret
12th April 2007, 07:40 PM
My comment refers to Swans fans and our gameplan in general, not Lions fans on BF.

Same applies. What we discuss is probably not a reflection of our coaching staff, and the coaches of opposition sides. In most cases anyway.

Sanecow
12th April 2007, 08:11 PM
I'm sure that the thought of Jude Bolton and Kirk running unchecked through the middle gives most of our coaches nightmares.

scott is silly

smasher
13th April 2007, 06:32 AM
I saw Brisbane last week on TV when they ran all over St Kilda with such youthfull enthusiasm.There main strengths were definatley pace and the midfield was strong and robust.They made St Kilda's midfield look second rate so I feel we must get the right players in the mix so we don't fall for the trap too.

ugg
13th April 2007, 12:19 PM
The word from the Brisbane fans is that Wayde Mills will be given the Goodes job. Interesting choice!

Cosmic Wizard
13th April 2007, 03:56 PM
I saw Brisbane last week on TV when they ran all over St Kilda with such youthfull enthusiasm.There main strengths were definatley pace and the midfield was strong and robust.They made St Kilda's midfield look second rate so I feel we must get the right players in the mix so we don't fall for the trap too.

Correct; I saw that game, and they were hot.

Then I saw our game at the G, and we were not.

Me thinks everyone should start at the Captain Cook early, it will help.

hammo
13th April 2007, 04:03 PM
It's interesting that 100% of the 'experts' in The Age have tipped the Swans, despite our average form, Hall's injury and Brisbane's great form.

Old Royboy
13th April 2007, 05:57 PM
Hall passed his fitness test. Back to the magoos for the Breadman.

Lucky Knickers
13th April 2007, 06:50 PM
I'm far more confident in our back 6 than St Kilda's to halt the Lions. We can stifle their midfield - it will be a game full of stoppages I expect. Question mark over our fwd 6 without Baz and Davis BUT if Hall does gets up - we should win a close game. I don't care who comes in either Grundy or Vogels - I think they are both a bit useless and not likely to swing the game.
We need a HUGE game from ROK, Goodes, Everitt and Jolly - they fire and we are home.

Jeffers1984
13th April 2007, 07:09 PM
Final Teams:

TEAM
SYDNEY SWANS vs. BRISBANE LIONS
Sunday, 1:10pm, SCG

SYDNEY SWANS
B: Richards, Barry, Malceski
HB: Kennelly, C.Bolton, Dempster
C: Buchanan, Kirk, Mathews
HF: R.O'Keefe, O'Loughlin, J.Bolton
F: McVeigh, Hall, Ablett
FOLL: Jolly, Goodes, Fosdike
I/C: Everitt, Grundy, Schmidt, Schneider
EM: Laidlaw, Moore, Vogels

BRISBANE LIONS
B: Begley, Merrett, Mills
HB: Adcock, Brennan, Copeland
C: Sherman, Fixter, Stiller
HF: Johnson, Brown, Notting
F: Rischitelli, Patfull, McGrath
FOLL: Wood, Black, Power
I/C: Hadley, McDonald, Moody, Harding
EM: Charman, Allan, Hawksley
IN: Hadley
OUT: Allan

Hall passes his fitness test so we remain unchanged.
Interesting they didn't go for Charman even to plant him in the goal square.

Eala ?ireann
13th April 2007, 07:12 PM
God save us from a game of ruck and maul! :frown

Please someone run with the ball!!! Go straight! Pass the thing, with the foot, more than 20m...please!!!

:rolleyes:

Xie Shan
13th April 2007, 09:36 PM
Good to see Hadley back in for the Lions after a wretched run with injuries. He was a promising player before he did his knee.