PDA

View Full Version : R4 v Adelaide Crows discussion

Pages : [1] 2

sydneyswans1989
16th April 2007, 02:22 PM
Firstly I must say that this match is probably going to be one of the toughest games of the year for us, the last time we were able to knock the crows off was back in round 15 2004 at the SCG. The crows have looked the goods over the past few weeks giving the dogs a bealting then port last saturday.

Andrew Mcleod has been outstanding & is the one Roos will be looking at to shut down because once he gets into the game, he rarely comes back out of it. The birdman returned from injury last week & may be still abit edgy on form but in the past has put in good performances against us.

No doubt we can knock em off, we were close to doing that back in 2005 at AAMI only going down by 7 points to an Adelaide side which was said to be the best at the time.

Coming back from Adelaide with the 4 points is gonna set us up well early in the season where we usually flaw.

Go Swans!

Go Swannies
16th April 2007, 02:24 PM
Nice to be going into R4 with two wins under our belts. But next weekend it's the Crows at AAMI. Big call. At Easter I was in Melbourne for the Tigers game - and stayed on to see the Crows-Doggies game. The Crows were awesome (it was a clinical dissection) and it'll be a big call to beat them (especially with our track record against them recently).

One thing that may not have shown up on TV was McLeod's role when he doesn't have the ball. At one stage the Crows were running out of defence right in front of me and it was fascinating to see McLeod run the whole way with the ball, not touching it but directing about five other Crows players until they kicked the goal. Limiting him - and his role as general - is a huge task.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Crouch back in the team as a neutralising agent. We struggled against the Lions coming out of their defence at the SCG and the Crows are a lot more impressive than they were.

Good lead-in to the season. The Eagles to remind us what AFL standard is. The Tigers to get our ball skills better and the Lions to give us a good test before the first real test against the Crows.

After sitting amongst the other aghast Dogs fans at the MCG, I consider we should be rapt if we take four points away from AAMI on Saturday night.

Thoughts?

ugg
16th April 2007, 02:29 PM
They've had the wood on us in recent years. If we play as sloppily as we did in the majority of yesterday's game, I fear they will give us a bit of a touchup, ala @ the SCG last year. They are very clinical and will punish any turnovers we commit.

Former Swan Scott Stevens has played forward in recent weeks and has been looking good.

Jeffers1984
16th April 2007, 02:42 PM
It's a shame about Dempster although i don't know about the extent of his injury but he didn't look too great after the match.

He would be perfect to play on Mcleod.

Adelaide will have Bock, Burton, S Stevens and Welsh as marking talls in the forward line, so this could stretch us a bit. May need Teddy in defence to to take on one of them. We may match up like this: -

C Bolts Vs Bock
Leo vs Burton
Superted Vs Welsh
Laidlaw/Kennelly Vs S Stevens (hmm can't find another option here).

I'd keep Grundy for this one if Davis can't get up. AAMI is a bigger ground so there may be more space for Grundy as a third leading forward to get more of an opportunity.

giant
16th April 2007, 02:51 PM
Adelaide will have Bock, Burton, S Stevens and Welsh as marking talls in the forward line, so this could stretch us a bit.

Perrie has been playing good footy up front for the Crows as well - very under-rated for mine.

Jeffers1984
16th April 2007, 02:54 PM
Perrie has been playing good footy up front for the Crows as well - very under-rated for mine.

True. Forgot about Perrie. Great mark, shocking kick for goal but is definitely a threat.

If we let the Crows get quick ball out of the clearences we will really struggle containing their forward line with the Crows good foot skills.

We are starting to look a bit short down back for this one.

hammo
16th April 2007, 03:32 PM
This is a game I'm not expecting us to win. We've never matched up well against the Crows.

What is Roos' record as coach against the Crowbots? It must be about 1-6? Hardly fills me with confidence.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

cruiser
16th April 2007, 04:31 PM
It's the only game of the season (and any recent season) that I don't expect us to win. We did come close in 2005 and again in 2003 (that bloody goal paid to Carey that wasn't, late in the 4th, which cost us the game) but that still doesnt fill me with confidence. We'll need a four quarter effort if we're to have any chance.

Any news on Davis? He'd be a very handy inclusion in our forward line for this one.

is2SWaNz
16th April 2007, 05:11 PM
True. Forgot about Perrie. Great mark, shocking kick for goal but is definitely a threat.

If we let the Crows get quick ball out of the clearences we will really struggle containing their forward line with the Crows good foot skills.

We are starting to look a bit short down back for this one.

Last year, they basically won all the clearances and could even kick a goal from the the centre bounce @ the SCG (okay, not literally but they ran a bit and kicked a goal). Not to mention our woeful goal kicking from set shots really widened the gap in terms of scores.

I'm not expecting for us to win either.

DST
16th April 2007, 06:16 PM
With Dempster out, Laidlaw maybe the replacement for him.

Also think that Crouch should be back in if they deem him fit.

Would like to see Schmidt get a run in front of his home state friends and family.

DST
:D

satchmopugdog
16th April 2007, 09:02 PM
I've never got over the Crows of 96 & 97. Whenever we lose by less than 80/79 points against Adelaide I'm happy. They really are our bogey team.

(I still think Stevens is useless...they can have him.)

Cheer Squad
16th April 2007, 09:14 PM
I'm going over to AAMI Stadium this weekend. I think we can win. Does anyone know how Peter Everitt has performed in the past against the Crows?

Swannette
16th April 2007, 10:17 PM
Schmidt played his first senior game against Port at AAMI in 2006. Tick. :)

bandwagon
16th April 2007, 10:28 PM
Well we have a chance... the Crows are undermanned in the ruck, so we should be aiming to at least break even in clearances. And they appear quite short in defence - Rutten, Bassett & ??? who am I forgetting? Everitt could cause them headaches when resting forward. But most of all we have to apply heaps of defensive pressure on McLeod & Johncock to try to slow their rebound.

Carolyn
16th April 2007, 10:32 PM
We may have a losing streak against the Crows but streaks are bound to come to an end. I think we may have a chance of winning.

Triple B
16th April 2007, 10:54 PM
This is way left field, but Keiran Jack to be elevated from the rookie list to put a tag on McLeod.

I doubt those who have seen Jack's development in the past few seasons and especially his form this season would consider it impossible.

ScottH
17th April 2007, 07:40 AM
This is way left field, but Keiran Jack to be elevated from the rookie list to put a tag on McLeod.

I doubt those who have seen Jack's development in the past few seasons and especially his form this season would consider it impossible.Don't we need a long term injury to elevate off the Rookie List?

liz
17th April 2007, 08:39 AM
Don't we need a long term injury to elevate off the Rookie List?

We have one - LRT. Was put on the list last week.

ScottH
17th April 2007, 08:57 AM
We have one - LRT. Was put on the list last week.
I thought of him while I posted, but wasn't sure about what list he was on.

cruiser
17th April 2007, 01:11 PM
But most of all we have to apply heaps of defensive pressure on McLeod & Johncock to try to slow their rebound. As I understand it, Johncock is injured and will not be playing.

RED RAG
18th April 2007, 04:18 PM
Well we have a chance... the Crows are undermanned in the ruck, so we should be aiming to at least break even in clearances. And they appear quite short in defence - Rutten, Bassett & ??? who am I forgetting? Everitt could cause them headaches when resting forward. But most of all we have to apply heaps of defensive pressure on McLeod & Johncock to try to slow their rebound.

Everitt will win the rucks, but can our guys get it out when it's knocked down to them. Everitt will have to improved his goal kicking accuracy to help up forward.

TheMase
18th April 2007, 07:30 PM
Im all honesty my first thought was we'd lose. Then I looked at their injury list.

This is a game we should win.

Crows Injury List
Player Injury Status
Hentschel Knee 2008 season
Biglands Knee 2008 season
Ricciuto Back TBC
Gill Hamstring TBC
Meesen Knee 5 weeks
Johncock Ankle 3-4 weeks
McGregor Achilles 3 weeks
Maric Hip 2 weeks
Pfeiffer Cheekbone 2 weeks
Mackay Hamstring 2 weeks
Archard Hamstring 2 weeks
Shirley Broken hand Test
Campbell Ankle Test
Massie Wrist Test
Bode Hip/Glute Test
Rutten Corked calf Test

TheMase
18th April 2007, 07:33 PM
Shirley and Bode confirmed out.

And Ben Rutten (corked calf), Jason Porplyzia (corked thigh) and Nathan van Berlo (hamstring tightness) all were kept out of Wednesday evening?s main training session but are hopeful of playing against Sydney at AAMI Stadium on Saturday night.

Injury list and quote from afc.com.au.

DST
18th April 2007, 08:08 PM
That injury list has some class, especially with Rutten, Porplyzia & Van Berlo all under a cloud.

While we don't always play well against Adelaide (espcially early in the season), we are more advanced this year and Adelaide have a few injury problems.

I think it's going to be very close and could go either way.

DST

giant
19th April 2007, 01:36 PM
Paper today suggested both Shirley & Bode will miss out & Rutten is extremely doubtful. They certainly get some injuries at the Crows.

ScottH
19th April 2007, 01:47 PM
Paper today suggested both Shirley & Bode will miss out & Rutten is extremely doubtful. They certainly get some injuries at the Crows.

Must be the water.

Ruck'n'Roll
19th April 2007, 07:06 PM
We haven't played well against the Crows in ages, I wonder if either or neither of our rucks to be on this weekend, both doesn't seem an option atm

schwattasboots
19th April 2007, 07:27 PM
i think the swans will beat the crows

573v30
19th April 2007, 10:21 PM
i think the swans will beat the crows It's our best chance to beat the Crows for a couple of years now. Adelaide have key injuries and injury concerns and their ruck department isn't exactly threatening although they have played some good footy given the depth of talent they've provided so far this season.

Spida has played well against the Crows when he was with the Hawks so I'm expecting a 30+ hitout game from him. If the forwards kick straight for a change, we can win it but the likes of McLeod can turn the game around so quickly. Basically, win the hitouts and clearances and the forwards mark and kick goals. ;)

DST
19th April 2007, 10:49 PM
Very easy game plan this week

Get it into forward 50 more than 50 times, convert our set shots at 75% or better and have either McVeigh, Matthews or Crouch sit on McLeod and pressure him every time he gets the ball.

We execute those three things properly and we win.

DST

RogueSwan
20th April 2007, 07:57 AM
Very easy game plan this week
... and have either McVeigh, Matthews AND Crouch sit on McLeod ...

and give him the typewriter (childhood torture I used to give to my brother) :p

Zlatorog
20th April 2007, 09:02 AM
This game is like deja-vu for me. I remember posters on RWO were saying that it was our best chance to belt WCE in Round 1, because they were so undermanned, and we know what happened. I'm still not convinced that our players are ready to finally bury the "Adelaide wood" that was hitting them since 2004.

RogueSwan
20th April 2007, 12:49 PM
This game is like deja-vu for me. I remember posters on RWO were saying that it was our best chance to belt WCE in Round 1, because they were so undermanned, and we know what happened. I'm still not convinced that our players are ready to finally bury the "Adelaide wood" that was hitting them since 2004.

I don't think RWOer's are thinking we are going to belt the Crows, more that if we are ever going to beat them at Footy Park this is our best chance.

cruiser
20th April 2007, 12:58 PM
I don't think RWOer's are thinking we are going to belt the Crows, more that if we are ever going to beat them at Footy Park this is our best chance.Yep, that's what I'm thinking.

angusb
20th April 2007, 02:52 PM
yeh I agree with you on that one. I'm fairly new to this forum thingy but seems most people know what they talking about. I believe if we can stop McLeod we will win the game.
Go the swanies!!

ScottH
20th April 2007, 03:04 PM
Just heard on the radio, that Rutten failed to train today. Doesn't sound too good for him.

ugg
20th April 2007, 03:23 PM
If he doesn't come up, expect the recently promoted McIntyre to get the job on BBBH.

NMWBloods
20th April 2007, 04:16 PM
In case you hadn't seen it, the preview for the match is here. (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20090)

bandwagon
20th April 2007, 09:44 PM
If he doesn't come up, expect the recently promoted McIntyre to get the job on BBBH.

Would love to see it, but sorry, if a coach puts a first-gamer onto a player like Hall they may as well concede the match. Same as putting Jack onto McLeod.

DeadlyAkkuret
20th April 2007, 10:47 PM
yeh I agree with you on that one. I'm fairly new to this forum thingy but seems most people know what they talking about. I believe if we can stop McLeod we will win the game.
Go the swanies!!

Hehe:p nah i'm just being sarcastic lol. There have been some sensible, logical ideas on the Adelaide game, and a great preview from Alison, so there's really not too much to say now. Let's just hope we execute whatever plans we have, very well!

Tuco
21st April 2007, 10:36 AM
Adel certainly hammered us the last time we played. But the lists will be vastly different this time around.

Check this craziness out (doesn't inclde EMG players)

Adel OUT:

McGregor (2 goals last time)
Shirley
C. Massie
M. Bode (1 goal)
Johncock (2 goals)
Ricciouto (2 goals)
Hentschel (3 goals)
Biglands
Maric
Skipworth

Add to that Rutten possibly missing!

Adel IN:

Richard Douglas
Bernie Vince
N. Bock
Porplyzia
I. Perrie
S. Welsh
Hudson
Griffen
Van Berlo
C. Knights

Syd OUT: Dempster, Williams, Moore, Vogels, LRT, Bevan, Davis

Syd IN: Teddy, Crouch, Mathews, Malceski, Grundy, Schmidt, Everitt

Have to Admire Adelaide's depth. Pretty handy inclusions considering they are missing what most other teams would regard as a top tier group. But clearly they've lost more than they've gained.

We on the other hand are steady as always. And I would think look better on paper this time around. And I particularly like the way our rucking stocks have lifted, especially as Adel have hurt us badly in that area in recent meetings.

Can't wait fro this one.

cruiser
21st April 2007, 08:46 PM
How hard is it for the likes of McVeigh and Buchanan to kick straight!!!?

Lucky Knickers
21st April 2007, 08:51 PM
Good foot passing so far.

sfan
21st April 2007, 08:51 PM
How hard is it for the likes of McVeigh and Buchanan to kick straight!!!?

happens too often for it to be anything other than poor skill and ability in that area.

Carolyn
21st April 2007, 08:57 PM
How hard is it for the likes of McVeigh and Buchanan to kick straight!!!? Same with Hall and Everitt.

Lucky Knickers
21st April 2007, 08:58 PM
3 50 metre ps?

annew
21st April 2007, 09:09 PM
What's with the whistle happy umpires?

sfan
21st April 2007, 09:09 PM
disappointing disposal in that Q1

hammo
21st April 2007, 09:10 PM
Our worst quarter for a while. Our inaccuracy in front of goal is killing us again.

cruiser
21st April 2007, 09:11 PM
What a crap quarter. Inaccuracy is plagueing the start of our season for the 3rd straight year

Foreign Legion
21st April 2007, 09:12 PM
Well, we can't kick that badly again surely?

Umps doing there best for the home team - but we should expect that anyway.

Hall and McVeigh's misses were terrible. Need Kirk and J.Bolton to lift.

Kennelly to the HFF - plenty of space to do some damage.

BTW Goodesy didnt get a Brownlow vote til round 6 last year - keep building up the odds Goodesy.

Lucky Knickers
21st April 2007, 09:12 PM
Ground hog day. Does being at AAMI bring out the bogun factor in all our SA expats?

Glenn
21st April 2007, 09:13 PM
Our worst quarter for a while. Our inaccuracy in front of goal is killing us again.

Deja Vu all over again ;)

Carolyn
21st April 2007, 09:19 PM
Finally! Hall!

voodooguru
21st April 2007, 09:20 PM
What's with the whistle happy umpires?

Playing to their audience a bit I think.

Have to say that while the umpies are cactus, this performance by the boys is unbelievable. Good game to come back in.

GOAL TO HALL!

cruiser
21st April 2007, 09:20 PM
Hurray! A goal at last! How hard is it?

cruiser
21st April 2007, 09:21 PM
Ground hog day. Does being at AAMI bring out the bogun factor in all our SA expats?How am I behaving like a bogan?

sfan
21st April 2007, 09:24 PM
Why are bucky's and McVeigh kicking skills so bad? edit and decision making?

cruiser
21st April 2007, 09:25 PM
Buchanan must be drunk. He's a liability out there.

voodooguru
21st April 2007, 09:29 PM
Future Captain misses?

sfan
21st April 2007, 09:29 PM
Jude is trade bait the way he kicks?

cruiser
21st April 2007, 09:30 PM
AARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :mad:

This is the crappiest footy I've seen from Sydney in a long time.

573v30
21st April 2007, 09:32 PM
Frustrating to the max. :mad:

annew
21st April 2007, 09:36 PM
Too slow, and playing like crap

Zlatorog
21st April 2007, 09:38 PM
They are not even trying. Why not forfeit the game in the future and save the expenses.:mad:
They're gone!

sfan
21st April 2007, 09:39 PM
tell leo it is called football for a reason!!!! way to cute

cruiser
21st April 2007, 09:39 PM
I dont think I can watch any more of this. Monty needs to be dragged. The rest are crap as well.

voodooguru
21st April 2007, 09:40 PM
We'll have to beat three teams to win tonight.

The Crowbots, the prima donna umpies and

OURSELVES.

Next two to us.

Glenn
21st April 2007, 09:40 PM
Can only get better ... I hope

gossipcom
21st April 2007, 09:41 PM
Monty, Teddy and Leo all need to be dragged.

The only one who actually is trying is Pebbles.

They deserve to be losing by more than 29 points at half time.

Lucky Knickers
21st April 2007, 09:41 PM
Wonder what changes Roos will make. Ben Matthews forward?

Zlatorog
21st April 2007, 09:42 PM
Can only get better ... I hope

You're an optimist. They're crap and will stay that way unless Roos kick some butt.:mad:

Chow-Chicker
21st April 2007, 09:43 PM
Jude Bolton must be banned from entering our forward 50 ever again. His kicking for goal is ABYSMAL!

nat
21st April 2007, 09:44 PM
The only one who actually is trying is Pebbles.

Tadhg too.

ROK has kinda gone missing..

boroboy
21st April 2007, 09:45 PM
I've turned the TV off before I smash the screen. Infuriating. I'm usually loathe to criticize players but Jude Bolton should be dropped - I've seen better down the local park. McVeigh, Buchanan not much better.

Dreadful.

Foreign Legion
Let me get it out of the way first - the umpiring is crow(d) pleasing....

having said that we are not taking our chances - why can't our players kick a goal from 30 out? Hall and Bolton - you've already cost us a grannie don't bloody do it again!

Roos needs to make some changes to make something happen - this will be a test of his ability to overcome a similar style coach in Craig.

Goodes must be moved into somewhere like CHF or CHB - he is lost at the moment. Give him a chance to build some confidence.

Jolly - well.. is his wife pregnant again?

ugg
That was disgraceful, even by our bad standards.

The Boot
21st April 2007, 09:46 PM
I'm not seeing any confidence. It's like a deer in the headlights scenario.
:eek:

Glenn
21st April 2007, 09:46 PM
Hmmm maybe move DJ down into the forward line, heaven forbid he has done little elsewhere.

nat
21st April 2007, 09:47 PM
What's with all these 50's aswell? The Ted Richards one was moronic. He was running.. he put his hands there to stop.. the Jude Bolton one was stupid too.. he was moving backwards.

alison.z
there needs to be a major change of mindset at half time ... they better come out firing after half time or there could be a lot of broken items sitting around me!!! its just so frustrating!!!

sfan
I've turned the TV off before I smash the screen. Infuriating. I'm usually loathe to criticize players but Jude Bolton should be dropped - I've seen better down the local park. McVeigh, Buchanan not much better.

Dreadful.

Totally agree. They are like that most weeks with their kicking skills. It frustrates the hell out of me why they all consistently miss targets and goals when it matters. Cost us the GF last year and will cost us tonight.

Lucky Knickers
21st April 2007, 09:48 PM
Pressure by Crows is incredible and their rebound is excellent. We keep giving them easy marks when they are bringing the ball out of defence. Tight checking in early part of Q2 and we were only 11 points out of it.

Zlatorog
I'm watching Kangaroos vs Lions game. It's much more exciting than this dribble.

satchmopugdog
Well........if we lose by less than 80 points I will be happy and I will be really happy if we get 5 goals. An all time low coming up. Fumbles....Swans 5000000, Crows 3.

stellation
Davo is very quiet tonight.

voodooguru
Jude Bolton must be banned from entering our forward 50 ever again. His kicking for goal is ABYSMAL!

Jude's kicked plenty of goals for the Swans, mostly from snaps.

First five minutes of the third-quarter will tell tonight. The missed goals at the start of the game may prove fatal.

We have to win the clearances, Schmidt on very early or at the start for me.

hammo
21st April 2007, 09:50 PM
It's night like this where you wonder why blokes like Robert Walls think the Swans have the best skills in the comp.

That was an abysmal half. Nothing to like about it at all except for ROK and Tadhg.

Leo Barry is an embarrassment - that last handpass was pathetic.

McVeigh will be running around in Canberra next week.

Jude Bolton is useless.

satchmopugdog
21st April 2007, 09:51 PM
Has Richo been hired for body language lessons?

ugg
21st April 2007, 09:51 PM
Barry Hall looks like he's about to blow up. He'll get reported if this keeps going on.

Foreign Legion
21st April 2007, 09:52 PM
I'm watching Kangaroos vs Lions game. It's much more exciting than this dribble.

I might go and watch The Shining - at least it is more positive than this.

573v30
21st April 2007, 09:52 PM
Could it get any worse?

AussieAnge
21st April 2007, 09:53 PM
That was an abysmal half. Nothing to like about it at all except for ROK and Tadhg.

Agree Hammo, although I think Malceski has been OK too

Xie Shan
21st April 2007, 09:53 PM

I'd rather work on my assignments than watch this game!!

AussieAnge
21st April 2007, 09:54 PM
I'd rather work on my assignments than watch this game!!

and I'd rather be back in NZ

anne
21st April 2007, 09:55 PM
Embarrassing. How bad do some of these players have to be in order to get dropped. Seems as if they can do anything and still keep their spots. Mc Veigh is definitely not up to scratch, Bolton is nearly as bad.

TheMase
21st April 2007, 09:57 PM
I will start with the umpiring. It is absolutely pathetic.

We need to make some changes.
Bring Hall up to pure CHF to allow him to run freely up the ground.
Goodes to FF, we need to get him into the game. Free the forward line up and don't crowd him. Buchanan or Schneider at his feet.

Schmidt into the middle. Malceski into the middle. Free Kirk's tagging role. Lets play some attacking footy and open it up.

ugg
21st April 2007, 09:59 PM
Stop kicking it to Hall. He has at least 3 Crows around him every time, plus Rutten is a very good defender. Grundy needs to be a marking option, or Spida or someone else.

ROK Lobster
21st April 2007, 09:59 PM
2 big questions:

Who will be made the scapegoat; and

Will Kirk be able to rally the troops behind Leo's 200th as he did to win the game for us re MOL's 250th last week?

swan_song
21st April 2007, 10:02 PM
Embarrassing. How bad do some of these players have to be in order to get dropped. Seems as if they can do anything and still keep their spots. Mc Veigh is definitely not up to scratch, Bolton is nearly as bad.

COuldnt agree more. My patience with Jude has run out, and McVeigh is almost useless so far at least, but they are not alone out there tonight....only two or three are putting in. The trouble, as I see it, is that there is nothing much in the 2s up to top grade standard, but then again not many in the As are tonight. I say it over and over, you dont win too many footy games when you don't score a goal in a quarter or only one in a half (WCE excepted, of course), and we do that far too many times....where's plan B?

cruiser
21st April 2007, 10:03 PM
FFS!! Get Monty off!!!

undy
21st April 2007, 10:04 PM
...I think Amon's been paid off, he can't really be that bad a kick

573v30
21st April 2007, 10:06 PM
A Goal!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky Knickers
Outstanding! But gees do we do it the hard way.

voodooguru

They were champions last week. Bolts'll get another run and then who knows?

GOAL TO MAGIC!

573v30
21st April 2007, 10:08 PM
We've almost scored 20 points... :rolleyes:

Lucky Knickers
21st April 2007, 10:11 PM
We move it quickly - they can't get setup down back. Yo Jolly.

573v30
21st April 2007, 10:11 PM
Woo!!! 2 in a row. Still a chance?

The Boot
21st April 2007, 10:12 PM
It might have been pouring in Melbourne today - but it's flooding in Adelaide tonight!!

voodooguru
GOAL! Two straight, one more and we're back.

cruiser
Doubled our score!! :rolleyes:

Foreign Legion
21st April 2007, 10:13 PM
We move it quickly - they can't get setup down back. Yo Jolly.

It's official - Jolly's wife is not pregnant - repeat - not pregnant!

FFS!

gossipcom
How the hell did Jolly get from the ruck to the forward so quickly on the second one? The commentator's like don't take him off. :p

Lucky Knickers
Doubled our score!! :rolleyes:

Gees - go suck a lemon. It's only a 9 pt game.

voodooguru
21st April 2007, 10:14 PM
Now that Darren Jolly's shown them how a goal-kicker does it...

573v30
21st April 2007, 10:14 PM
Jolly kicking his second goal, must obviously be making up for his Grand Final performance.

voodooguru
21st April 2007, 10:16 PM
That was nice, the Crowbot's own fans booing them...

573v30
21st April 2007, 10:17 PM
Schneider... should've kicked it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

gossipcom
21st April 2007, 10:19 PM
Burton is creaming them on the forward line.

Lucky Knickers
Why isn't someone trying to spoil!!!!!!!

Foreign Legion
Schneider... should've kicked it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

That kick would've hurt em if it was a goal - now they kick one - jeeeez - take your chances Swans.

voodooguru
21st April 2007, 10:20 PM

Leo was nearly there.

cruiser
21st April 2007, 10:21 PM
Would you like some of my lemon?

Foreign Legion
21st April 2007, 10:21 PM
Goodesy at CHF - this is his chance.

gossipcom
21st April 2007, 10:22 PM
Now that's a goal!

Leo was nearly there.
Nearly being the important word.

Foreign Legion
Micky!

Lucky Knickers
TOPS!!!!! Ugly but effective.

573v30
Mickey O's second, 8 points the margin.

voodooguru
Magic.

gossipcom
21st April 2007, 10:24 PM
Yet another dodgy call by the looks of it.

573v30
Bugger, Welsh scored again.

Lucky Knickers
Would you like some of my lemon?
Prefer lime.;)

gossipcom
21st April 2007, 10:26 PM
Freaking idiots again.

voodooguru
21st April 2007, 10:27 PM
OOO. Roosey looked stressed. Good miss Welsh.

voodooguru
21st April 2007, 10:30 PM
Jude is having an absolute shrieker

cruiser
21st April 2007, 10:31 PM
Rutten is killing Hall and McLeod is killing our forwards.

573v30
3 quarter time

Adelaide 8.6 54
Sydney 5.10 40

Still a chance to win, if Sydney get the ball and use it efffectively.

ugg
I think Buchanan is having a worse night. He must be injured, his not following through with his kicks and they are all floating up without any penetration.

satchmopugdog
21st April 2007, 10:32 PM
Got the 5 goals....great attitude. How can we be so close with SOMe players having absolute shockers......a credit to persistance.

Glenn
21st April 2007, 10:33 PM
3 quarter time

Adelaide 8.6 54
Sydney 5.10 40

Still a chance to win, if Sydney get the ball and use it efffectively.

The man is delusional ;)

Foreign Legion
21st April 2007, 10:34 PM
Not getting much out of Grundy - can anyone who watches the 2's suggest a replacement?

On a positive note - Crouch looks to have got back into the tempo - yeah the helicopters are still there but his pressure is good.

First time I think I've seen Kirk tagged, good move by Craig.

But - we can still win somehow.

annew
21st April 2007, 10:34 PM
Commentators are rubbish!! Tell me how all of a sudden now that we have won a premiership this is a great defensive game and yet it is really crap and would have been judged as crap if it were the start of 2005. Bit like the Emperor with no clothes on!!!!

ROK Lobster
21st April 2007, 10:35 PM
Where is Everitt. He has to lift. He can't ride out his career on one good game against Richmond.

annew
21st April 2007, 10:35 PM
Plus how hopeless is Barry Hall????

Foreign Legion
21st April 2007, 10:36 PM
Jolly doing Ok in the ruck - maybe Spida to FF?

voodooguru
21st April 2007, 10:37 PM
RED hot go time!

573v30
21st April 2007, 10:39 PM
Heard on the radio Buchanan is injured...

Glenn
21st April 2007, 10:41 PM
Knee injury to Monty, a blessing in disguise the way he has played tonight. :frown

573v30
21st April 2007, 10:43 PM
20 point margin now, things aren't looking good now.

annew
My God this umpiring is abhorrent!! What about too high on Leo Barry???

gossipcom
So Leo wasn't satisfied that he cleaned up Monty that he tried Teddy too then did that shocking handball which subsequently leading to the goal?

Our record against Adelaide says it all though.

Foreign Legion
21st April 2007, 10:46 PM
My God this umpiring is abhorrent!! What about too high on Leo Barry???

They are bloody hopeless. I can say a lot worse but this is a family board.

Glenn
21st April 2007, 10:47 PM
Glow worms are woeful, matched only by the woefulness of Sydney.

Bas
21st April 2007, 10:48 PM
Ch 10 saying indirectly Bucky has done an acl.

undy
21st April 2007, 10:48 PM
Jack to come off the rookie list... watching McLeod burn us off is painful

gossipcom
21st April 2007, 10:49 PM
McLeod by himself has just beaten us on his own.

Yeah Monty doing an ACL, Jack elevated and Phillips promoted.

Ugh.

Foreign Legion
21st April 2007, 10:50 PM
@@@@

573v30
21st April 2007, 10:50 PM
3 goal margin, bad miss by MOL. :mad:

gossipcom
21st April 2007, 10:51 PM
Nice to see our dodgy record continue against the Crows.

573v30
21st April 2007, 10:53 PM
Nice to see our dodgy record continue against the Crows. At least the losing margin so far is less than half of that last year.

gossipcom
21st April 2007, 10:54 PM
True by right now this is our lowest scoring total under Roos

Glenn
21st April 2007, 10:55 PM
Ohhh Bassett might be enjoying a few weeks in the stands.

cruiser
21st April 2007, 10:56 PM
I've stopped watching - it's pissing me off too much.

gossipcom
21st April 2007, 10:58 PM
Switched it over to The West Wing. At least I know that had a good ending :)

573v30
21st April 2007, 10:58 PM
Should only be about 3 minutes left, only 1 goal scored this quarter by the Crows.

Lucky Knickers
21st April 2007, 11:00 PM
Pathetic decision by the umpire then.

sfan
21st April 2007, 11:00 PM
officially embarrassing to say the least.

573v30
21st April 2007, 11:01 PM
Lucky to get the shot at goal and Hall misses...

573v30
21st April 2007, 11:03 PM
Another behind, no surprises...

Lucky Knickers
21st April 2007, 11:03 PM
Night blindness?

mpr104
21st April 2007, 11:06 PM
5 14 is not going to win games of footy - we kicked ourselves out of it :confused:

Foreign Legion
21st April 2007, 11:06 PM
No other training for the forwards but @@@@ing goal kicking - avg $300K for that @@@@ - no excuses.

If I was being paid 400-500 like some of the offenders - well I would be asked to clean out my desk - none of em were hard.

Roos MUST drop at least 2 to send a scare though em. Grundy obviously but he needs a big scalp.

hammo
21st April 2007, 11:07 PM
Truly awful. Embarrassing. Disgraceful.

ugg
21st April 2007, 11:07 PM
TLM Round 4 votes
3: Ryan O'Keefe
2: Ryan O'Keefe
1: Ryan O'Keefe
-99999999: Goalkicking coach

Foreign Legion
21st April 2007, 11:08 PM
I suppose the good thing is that we surely cant play that badly again?

I hope not - too many bad finishes.

We really miss a bloke that I don't want to pump up tyres for - ND.

cruiser
21st April 2007, 11:09 PM
I just hope that we have seen our worse game of the year (again, against Adelaide) and that no other game this year will be as bad as that.

Glenn
No other training for the forwards but @@@@ing goal kicking - avg $300K for that @@@@ - no excuses.

If I was being paid 400-500 like some of the offenders - well I would be asked to clean out my desk - none of em were hard.

Roos MUST drop at least 2 to send a scare though em. Grundy obviously but he needs a big scalp.

Jude,Monty???

573v30
It's all over...

Adelaide 9.7 61
Sydney 5.14 44

All I can say is, we played @@@@house. Wasted too many scoring shots again, goal less in the 1st and 4th quarters and the umpiring was shocking (for both sides). Amon injured isn't going to help us either.

I must also give credit to the Crows, they played brilliant given their large injury list, their forwards kicked goals, McLeod ran well out of defence and Rutten outclassed Hall. It was our best chance to beat the Crows but we blew it big time.

Next week, Sydney faces Melbourne at SCG. Melbourne's performance has been poor so far this year (I'm expecting a 0-4 by the end of this round) but they've beaten us in Sydney for the past couple of years. I think Sydney will bounce back very strongly next week and crush a forwardless Demons.

Foreign Legion
Truly awful. Embarrassing. Disgraceful.

Come on hammo - I don't think it was that good.

mpr104
21st April 2007, 11:10 PM
We really miss a bloke that I don't want to pump up tyres for - ND.

ND's accuracy would have been welcome tonight.

nat
21st April 2007, 11:10 PM
It would be interesting to see the free kick tally. It felt something like 70-10.

hammo
21st April 2007, 11:11 PM
Crouch should not have played.

Grundy has done nothing for 3 weeks.

J.Bolton is offering nothing.

McVeigh should be in the ACTAFL.

Not an ounce of intelligence between the entire side - why keep kicking it to Hall when he's surrounded by 4 Crows and hasn't taken a mark all night??

Lucky Knickers
Aside from the goal kicking - I didn't think we were that bad. Crows are an outstanding team. Once B1 and Kirk started winning some ball we were back in it - just no forward options. Jolly had a good game and thought Schmidt earned another week. We are missing Davis badly as a genuine option up forward. ROK and Tadhg were outstanding.

TheMase
Umpiring did not get any better.

Only positive was O'Keefe, and to some extent Malceski. Kennelly tried all night.
Craig Bolton was carrying an injury, so he is excused.

Other than that little positives.

Hold their heads high:
O'Keefe
Malceski
Kennelly

Consider a stint in reserves:
J. Bolton
Grundy
McVeigh

Everyone else:
A deadset kick up the arse, tell them to wake up to themselves.

ROK Lobster
21st April 2007, 11:12 PM
I thought that the umpiring was equally crap. We got a few we shouldn't have.

Where the @@@@ was Everitt, or at least some relief in some form for Hall? We aint very flexible.

boroboy
Got what we deserved. Nothing. Spraying easy shots. Insipid first half. Giving away sloppy free kicks. Poor distribution. Lack of basic skills. Sound familiar?

Are we starting to believe our own publicity that we're still the best team in the comp' along with the Eagles? A long way from it...

A lot of soul searching from all at the club this week I hope.

ugg
Aside from the goal kicking - I didn't think we were that bad. Crows are an outstanding team. Once B1 and Kirk started winning some ball we were back in it - just no forward options. Jolly had a good game and thought Schmidt earned another week. We are missing Davis badly as a genuine option up forward. ROK and Tadhg were outstanding.
Conversely I don't think the Crows were that good offensively. They were terrific in their pressure but so were we. If we had kicked as straight as they did, its a 1 goal margin either way.

mpr104
21st April 2007, 11:14 PM
why keep kicking it to Hall when he's surrounded by 4 Crows and hasn't taken a mark all night??

My sentiments as well. They were kicking it in too high and with too much carry so Hall had to prop and this gave Rutten a chance to spoil. They need to get it out in front of him so he can run onto it.

Our kicking skills are still so up and down - Adelaide's ball use was alot better, well always appears that way...

Foreign Legion
Crouch should not have played.

Grundy has done nothing for 3 weeks.

J.Bolton is offering nothing.

McVeigh should be in the ACTAFL.

Not an ounce of intelligence between the entire side - why keep kicking it to Hall when he's surrounded by 4 Crows and hasn't taken a mark all night??

Well, hammo I disagree on one thing, I thought Crouch was OK considering it was his first game for 9 months or so. Not good, but showed promise in his ability to pressure the opposition.

Mc Veigh possibly shouldnt be allowed within the 50 - jeez he started the rot.

Does anyone remember when we were the MOST accurate side in the league? What the hell has happened since then?

TMSS
Not getting much out of Grundy - can anyone who watches the 2's suggest a replacement?

Well Vogels was given one chance and did more than grundy has in any of his three chances. Otherwise I guess we wait for Davis.

hammo
The next time we play Adelaide Roos should just stay at home. Give the gig to Longmire. A 1-7 record against the Crows is appalling and surely shows a lack of imagination in the box.

satchmopugdog
21st April 2007, 11:15 PM
How tight was it in those packs?????? It was intense in there and was one of those games where the luck just kept running the Crows way...but I suppose that boils down to skill.

Legs Akimbo
Things I learnt from watching that horrible game.

1. Lucky our players are so autonomous because Roos is not a very good gameday coach. There were a host of positional changes that could have been made but were not. Horrible performance by Roos.

2. Buchanen is over-rated (even before he did his knee). Occassionally he does something creative but too often he creates a turnover through skill error. I have been on to this for a while now.

3. Ben Mathews does have some redeeming features to his game. McVeigh is the new Ben Mathews.

4. Reg is not ready for it. 5. Hall is injured and even if he isn't (which he is), Rutten is a better full back than Bazza is a full forward. Why oh why did Roos not move him to the centre half forward line (he is fit isn't he?).

6. Our forwards have fallen into our old bad habit of leading to the pockets and our midfielders encourage them by kicking it there. What is the benefit of dinky kicks from the 55 metre mark to the boundary at the 45 metre mark (or am I missing somethign)

7. Goodes is having a horrible year.

8...and to end on a positive note, Malceski, Kirk, ROK and to some extent Jolly (well for 2 minutes) tried their guts out.

Lucky Knickers
Peter "Babe"akov better pull a rabbit about of the hat PDQ!

annew
21st April 2007, 11:16 PM
I cannot believe how much the commentators go on about how good a game it was. I thought we were crap, Adelaide were marginally better, umpiring was crap and game was just dreadful to watch. Football played like this is boring.

nat
21st April 2007, 11:17 PM
I cannot believe how much the commentators go on about how good a game it was. I thought we were crap, Adelaide were marginally better, umpiring was crap and game was just dreadful to watch. Football played like this is boring.

I can't believe how much they rave on about McLeod.. "the master". Seriously, we got it the first time.

573v30
21st April 2007, 11:18 PM
The commentators on ABC said that Adelaide deserved to win, they were dead right.

Foreign Legion
21st April 2007, 11:18 PM
Well Vogels was given one chance and did more than grundy has in any of his three chances. Otherwise I guess we wait for Davis.

Well at least Vogels has some pace - Reg needs it delivered perfectly or its a defender running off him.

BUT, if they are going to give Vogels a go, they should give him at least 5 weeks. If, after that, he is no good well, at least they can say they gave him a go and he can go back to Terang and say - "I did my best".

Now or never for Vogels and as much as I think Grundy has skill - he is a liability when the ball is turned over.

satchmopugdog
21st April 2007, 11:19 PM
I thought the umpirng was good ...alot of times we should have been pinged for holding the ball and we weren't...so we were lucky..plus two of their marks were disallowed...we were lucky in that respect.

cowcar
21st April 2007, 11:20 PM
Drop Mcveigh, drop grundy.
Neither has done anything for the last 3 games. Grundy i can forgive, as he is learning and younger, but McVeigh has had 3 years (roughly). He should be traded at the end of the year. Has shown NOTHING.

The rest, well, it was a bad night for them. Some did well, others terrible. Early days yet, but to be honest, i didnt expect them to win it, so aside for some terrible kicking for goals, they did better than expected in some regards (although talk to me at half time, and it was a different story!!!)

Carolyn
The inaccuracy at kicking for goal is killing us. If they all could just learn how to kick straight!

annew
I agree, Adelaide did deserve to win but like in Round 1 we were so bad why didn't Adelaide and West Coast thrash us? If we only just get beaten when we play that bad then it doesn't say much about the opposition, personally I think the young Lions have been the best agaianst us so far this year.

boroboy
21st April 2007, 11:21 PM
It's the midfield. Jude is a liabilty, Ablett is just about tolerable, Kirky seems to be waiting until Q3 before firing up, and McVeigh is quite simply dreadful.

All of them are far better players than we've seen this season - hope that after 2 Grand Finals that extra spark that separates the great midfields from the good hasn't evaporated.

Lucky Knickers
21st April 2007, 11:22 PM
In Bazza's defence - there were quite a few wacks to the head and arm chops in there that could have been paid. I don't know why he didn't try and ruck it and tap it on for a crumber.
I don't know why Mcleod was allowed to rebound so freely off the D50.
I'm a bit tired of how slowly we move it and give every team plenty of time to get back and flood.

ROK Lobster
21st April 2007, 11:23 PM
Things I learnt from watching that horrible game.

1. Lucky our players are so autonomous because Roos is not a very good gameday coach. There were a host of positional changes that could have been made but were not. Horrible performance by Roos. Why do you hate the club so much ;)

Chow-Chicker
21st April 2007, 11:23 PM
An absolutely disgusting effort in front of goal.

Legs Akimbo
21st April 2007, 11:24 PM
Why do you hate the club so much ;)

I only hate them when we lose.

ROK Lobster
21st April 2007, 11:24 PM
It hope that after 2 Grand Finals that extra spark that separates the great midfields from the good hasn't evaporated.Well Cuz is in LA but the rest of them are going OK.

satchmopugdog
21st April 2007, 11:27 PM
How good was O'Keefe???? He played like a man possessed. Brownlow votes for sure....(plus TLM)

TheMase
21st April 2007, 11:27 PM
Next week:

Drop McVeigh, consider dropping J.Bolton.
Give Schmidt a run in the middle from the start.
O'Keefe to have a permanent midfield role.
Play Goodes from the wing.

Buchanan probably out.

Possible Outs:
Buchanan, Grundy, McVeigh, (Bolton)

Ins: Davis (if fit), Laidlaw, Vogels, (Moore)

ROK Lobster
21st April 2007, 11:31 PM
Next week:

Buchanan probably out.

Possible Outs:

Ins: Davis (if fit), Laidlaw, Vogels, (Moore)But you know what it will be don't you...

Buchy out, Davo in.

573v30
21st April 2007, 11:32 PM
Davis will save us... :D

TheMase
21st April 2007, 11:33 PM
But you know what it will be don't you...

Buchy out, Davo in.
Sadly yes.

I think at some stage players like J.Bolton need to be put on notice.
Sure they will NOT gain anything from the ACTAFL, HOWEVER they also need to realise their position in the team is not a given.

swan_song
21st April 2007, 11:36 PM
Next week:

Buchanan probably out.

Possible Outs:

Ins: Davis (if fit), Laidlaw, Vogels, (Moore)

Now would be a good time to give some of the dills a boot up the backside...a stint in Canberra for Jude, McVeigh, and Grundy at the least wouldn't hurt. Give Vogels etc three or four weeks to prove they are up to AFL standard...perhaps the next two matches (Dees and Roos) offers an opportunity to test them in games we would normally expect to win.
Mind you, if the crap Swans (now where have they been hiding these past couple of years???) turn up to play again, we'll not even beat the forwardless Dees and woodenspoon Kangas...

That was truly an awful, shameful performance and not worthy of a team that aspires to the standards it set in 2005.

nat
21st April 2007, 11:36 PM
I miss Nick Davis!

Carolyn
21st April 2007, 11:37 PM
Is it possible to bring in Jesse White next week?

Carolyn
21st April 2007, 11:38 PM
I miss Nick Davis!So do I.

Swannette
21st April 2007, 11:38 PM
My two bobs worth:
I tipped the roos - yae! I reckon we're imposters. Yea, big call, but blimey, the shocking display from our boys tonight is just staggering. We still can't pick up a ball cleanly from the ground to save ourselves, we don't shepherd, we don't under any circumstances talk to each other, we don't have the smarts either on the ground or in the box to realise that bazza has 4 defenders on him so ahem, perhaps we should find another target. We take way too long sometimes to get rid of the ball - and yes I know, I've never played and have no idea of what its like, but even on the tele it looks like some of our players cough macca cough benny take an eternity to respond in a tight situation. We played dumb footy again for parts of tonight and I reckon we have a huge amount of work to do to benefit from Spida's skills. And we need to practice goal kicking - lots. McVeigh - sorry mate, you are not up to it.

DeadlyAkkuret
21st April 2007, 11:41 PM
Pathetic all round really:( Shocking kicking at goal, cost us again. Brain explosions all over the ground, hospital handballs etc. For a very optimistic guy, i'm feeling pretty shot right now *sigh*

gazza
21st April 2007, 11:52 PM
sometimes i feel like never reading rwo ever again.the negative and pessimistic attitudes really annoy me.so we lost because of poor goal kicking,please remember that your team are human beings who play football,not robots,not perfect and always trying to do their best.no one goes out intending to have a poor game.
i thought it was a very entertaining game,both coaches worked hard on their plans.sadly the umpiring was below par,some appalling decision both ways.
i hope there will only be minimum alteration to the team.
how any cloth head could possibly suggest promoting jessie white,shows a complete lack of understanding.or is he some kind of super hero who can solve all problems and leap over tall buildings

DeadlyAkkuret
21st April 2007, 11:55 PM
sometimes i feel like never reading rwo ever again.the negative and pessimistic attitudes really annoy me.so we lost because of poor goal kicking,please remember that your team are human beings who play football,not robots,not perfect and always trying to do their best.no one goes out intending to have a poor game.
i thought it was a very entertaining game,both coaches worked hard on their plans.sadly the umpiring was below par,some appalling decision both ways.
how any cloth head could possibly suggest promoting jessie white,shows a complete lack of understanding.or is he some kind of super hero who can solve all problems and leap over tall buildings

In a three stooges sort of way.

Legs Akimbo
21st April 2007, 11:56 PM

If you think we lost purely because of poor kicking, then Jessy White is indeed the Messiah. Personally, I ascribe to Quartermain's comment - 'If Sydney can't win tonight with Adelaide's injury list there is something wrong.'

Now common Gazza, give us some nice feel good stuff so we can go to bed thinking it wasn't such a disappointing effort.

ROK Lobster
21st April 2007, 11:57 PM
If you think we lost purely because of poor kicking, then Jessy White is indeed the Messiah. Personally, I ascribe to Quartermain's comment - 'If Sydney can't win tonight with Adelaide's injury list there is something wrong.'

Now common Gazza, give us some nice feel good stuff so we can go to bed thinking it wasn't such a disappointing effort.You do hate the club, club hater.

DeadlyAkkuret
21st April 2007, 11:58 PM
You do hate the club, club hater.

Love the club, hate their lack of skills under pressure....and not under pressure.

Alibi Monday
21st April 2007, 11:58 PM
Positives:

1. Ryan O'Keefe aiming for a Top 10 player of the comp by the end of the year.
2. Tadgh & Malceski's HBF form. These guys are our attacking weapons.
3. Most will disagree, but Jude Bolton's improvement - 22 posessions (10 contested), 6 tackles.

Negatives:

1. Our midfield set-ups don't seem to be working. Not winning as many clearances as we have been or should with Everitt. Not a great start for the new midfield coach.
2. Set shots and general shooting are just appalling.
3. McVeigh is a real worry. The amount of time the club has invested in him and his start to year is a big concern. He's just not coming on.
4. Slow starts just continue to happen.
5. Adam Goodes. Where are you?
6. Jude Bolton's, McVeigh's, Buchanan's disposal. Just not up to AFL standard.

Legs Akimbo
22nd April 2007, 12:00 AM
You do hate the club, club hater.

Only when we lose

ROK Lobster
22nd April 2007, 12:02 AM
Positives:

3. Most will disagree, but Jude Bolton's improvement - 22 posessions (10 contested), 6 tackles.

6. Jude Bolton's [...] disposal. Just not up to AFL standard.
No use getting it if you can't dispose of it.

DeadlyAkkuret
22nd April 2007, 12:02 AM
Positives:

1. Ryan O'Keefe aiming for a Top 10 player of the comp by the end of the year.
2. Tadgh & Malceski's HBF form. These guys are our attacking weapons.

I'm starting to think they're wasted in this side. They did so much work tonight, and attacked with long, penetrating kicks so often, only to be let down by our dismal finishing.

Tuco
22nd April 2007, 12:03 AM
Well, we can't kick that badly again surely?

Umps doing there best for the home team - but we should expect that anyway.

Hall and McVeigh's misses were terrible. Need Kirk and J.Bolton to lift.

Kennelly to the HFF - plenty of space to do some damage.

BTW Goodesy didnt get a Brownlow vote til round 6 last year - keep building up the odds Goodesy.

Post of the season so far :p :o :D

2 goals from 10 set shots (half of the misses within 35m of goal). A lot else was wrong on the night. But this was absolutely the killer. Surely they must cop an extra session of set shot drills after that effort?

Tadgh, ROK and Ablett tried their guts out, though.

Jeffers1984
22nd April 2007, 12:05 AM
I can't believe this is the team that made the last 2 grand finals.

Absolutely disgusting effort from the coaches and players.

ROK and Tadhg excepted. They were brilliant.

The rest better @@@@ing shape up.

Carolyn
22nd April 2007, 12:05 AM
It was lucky to be 17 points the difference. No one really did anything until after half-time.

Foreign Legion
22nd April 2007, 12:10 AM
Post of the season so far :p :o :D

2 goals from 10 set shots (half of the misses within 35m of goal). A lot else was wrong on the night. But this was absolutely the killer. Surely they must cop an extra session of set shot drills after that effort?

Tadgh, ROK and Ablett tried their guts out, though.

Well, Tuco I was giving them the benefit of the doubt! Dunno why.

That is what cost us the game - a bit more accuracy and we would have had the "run on" and finished em off.

Still, we are probably better placed than the last 2 years.

DeadlyAkkuret
22nd April 2007, 12:14 AM

That is what cost us the game - a bit more accuracy and we would have had the "run on" and finished em off.

Only in terms of wins/losses, cuz i'm not sure our skills are any more advanced than this time last year.

Matt79
22nd April 2007, 12:21 AM
I can't believe this is the team that made the last 2 grand finals.

Absolutely disgusting effort from the coaches and players.

ROK and Tadhg excepted. They were brilliant.

The rest better @@@@ing shape up.

I strongly disagree with the "disgusting effort" comment. IMO the Swan's battled fiercely and were ferocious with their tackling and committment, in fact I cannot question one time in tonight's game where one of our players was not committed to the ball or man.

HOWEVER, what was disappointing was our numerous turnovers in midfield, shocking disposal into forward 50 and our execution in front of goals. That was not good enough tonight, BUT, the effort was there.

Tuco
22nd April 2007, 12:40 AM

I know. I was too. :o

And after we kicked those four goals in the "Premiership" qtr I thought we saw daylight. Too bad we kicked 0.4 in the "Round 4 2007" qtr after that. :confused:

originalswan
22nd April 2007, 12:44 AM
I wonder what the real problem with the Swans is?

I hope they honestly don't believe in the crap that we are slow starters but it will all happen by the end of the year! The only reason we made the top four last year was due to other teams (such as Collingwood & Melbourne) tripping up in games they were expected to win. This won't always occur!

We always seem to give teams a head start in a game and then knuckle down to play in the latter stages of the game. When will the team be switched on from the start of a game?

Our skill levels at times (becoming too regular) are woeful at times, such as goal kicking! FIVE GOALS from 19 Shots! We've been on a steady decline in this area since 2003.

As much as I hate to single out individual players - How many more opportunities for McVeigh and Grundy? McVeigh must understand that we chose him ahead of other players like Schammer & Salopek, who are performing well in their current teams (Schammer currently injured).

Finally, what's with this ONE WIN out of the past NINE against the Crows - This is just embarrasing!

Chow-Chicker
22nd April 2007, 01:10 AM
It was lucky to be 17 points the difference. No one really did anything until after half-time.
That's the amazing thing.

NMWBloods
22nd April 2007, 01:19 AM
Rather disappointing. Given Adelaide's extensive injury list that's a poor performance.

Our lowest score and least number of goals since 1997!!

During the week people were saying that we were better placed than last year. I think this game was important to see whether that was the case. At this stage I don't think we are. The next four games are critical. We really should win three of them, so we'll see if we are on track after that.

Roos has a lot of work to do to prevent the post-GF slide often experienced, because we are looking close to that.

Wazza
22nd April 2007, 01:28 AM
I agree with comments about McVeigh he just hasnt stepped up to the next level so far this season - and Jude had many possesions but not many effective ones.

I think the real worry is Buccanan his kicking skills are terrible, no doubt he is hard at it has some awareness - for an AFL player at the elite level his foot skills are terrible. IMHO

I couldnt understand why Roos didnt move Kennelly onto McLeod, he just kept clearing the ball from our foward 50 with ease. We may have missed Kennelly's drive from HB but no-one else was able to stop McLeod

are we really slow through the middle of the ground and across HF? its been bugging me since Rnd 1 - do we have a pace problem?? I suppose time will tell and we'll see when we play the likes of Power Bulldogs and Essendon.

O'Keefe was oustanding, Jolly was ok but funny he kicked 2 goals was taken off the ground and we struggled to find a target up forward there after, we dont seem to have much flexibility in our match day planning.

I would luv Roos to make just 1 or 2 changes based on form just to shake things up a little, Vogels has to be given a couple or go a little further and throw Jesse White in for a couple? is he ready?, Reg looks completely out of touch.

Cheers

Anyway forget this one get ready for the next one.

stellation
22nd April 2007, 08:14 AM
we dont seem to have much flexibility in our match day planning.
Damn straight. My brother called it after the first few games of Roos' first full season as coach, he suggested that he would like to play Warcraft against Roos as he thought he could beat him in record time- something along the lines of "He'd expect me to come through the nearest valley and he'd put all his defences there, I'd just slowly march everything I had up through an open plain in full sight of him and I don't think he'd react until I'd destroyed half of his base."

anne
22nd April 2007, 09:14 AM
I wonder what the real problem with the Swans is?

As much as I hate to single out individual players - How many more opportunities for McVeigh and Grundy? McVeigh must understand that we chose him ahead of other players like Schammer & Salopek, who are performing well in their current teams (Schammer currently injured).

Finally, what's with this ONE WIN out of the past NINE against the Crows - This is just embarrasing!

It is because McVeigh was chosen at pick 5 that so much time and faith has been shown in him! They just won't accept that he is not good enough and is in fact a liability and is keeping someone out of the team who may prove to be better even if he wasn't a high pick. They need to admit they made a mistake with that pick and drop him. It's not as if it's the first high pick they've wasted!

Nico
22nd April 2007, 11:46 AM
I thought apart from our woeful shooting for goal we were OK. I reckon most people on RWO would have pencilled that one in as a defeat before the season.

We had as many possessions and in general play broke even, our defence was grand (9 goals). Even with our poor field disposal if we kicked straight for even half the time we win.

Care to predict how many more games we will LOSE for the rest of the year. If we play as hard and tough as that, not too many I predict.

hammo
22nd April 2007, 11:55 AM
Care to predict how many more games we will LOSE for the rest of the year. If we play as hard and tough as that, not too many I predict.
No point being hard and tough if you don't have the skills to match.

I actualy don't think we'd beat many teams on that performance.

Frog
22nd April 2007, 11:56 AM
I thought apart from our woeful shooting for goal we were OK.
Probably can agree with the "were OK" bit - In the end, as woeful as we perceive them to have been, it was only a 17 point "drubbing" at AAMI - Better than the 39(?) point loss at the SCG last year - But I cannot agree that woeful shooting for goal was the only downfall - General kicks in play went over the head of targets, short of targets, to an opposition target or the attempted kick was no more than a lovetap with the aglet and it finished on the ground a meter or two from the kicker's boot. It is not just shooting for goal, it's the whole kicking caper - and, if I may, I will not tar Malceski and Tadhg with that particular feather.

Maybe we need to change the Puma boots.

smasher
22nd April 2007, 06:19 PM
A very judgmental lot,aren't we.Consider the pleasure these boys have given you and the small amount of pain,as last night.I agree that some players have become complacent and a run in the two's would not hurt them.There are some good young fellas playing in the seconds who are have the ability to perform better than players we see week in,week out.
It's time to cut the mustard and give some others ago.

NMWBloods
22nd April 2007, 06:23 PM
A very judgmental lot,aren't we.Consider the pleasure these boys have given you and the small amount of pain,as last night.I agree that some players have become complacent and a run in the two's would not hurt them.There are some good young fellas playing in the seconds who are have the ability to perform better than players we see week in,week out.
It's time to cut the mustard and give some others ago.
What a bizarre post!

stellation
22nd April 2007, 06:30 PM
Two more things to add...
It was amazing watching the Adelaide team create pockets for McLeod to operate in across half back and still offer him midfield and half forward targets; every time he had the ball I was in awe, but not so much of McLeod (impressive as he is) but of how well the team supported him.
If Davis doesn't come in this week and Grundy holds his place then Vogels could feel pretty hard done by. I'm a big believer in giving the young guys a run for a few games straight, Vogels was given one week and (I think) did better than Grundy has in any of his 3 outings in this run.

Lucky Knickers
22nd April 2007, 07:22 PM
General kicks in play went over the head of targets, short of targets, to an opposition target or the attempted kick was no more than a lovetap with the aglet and it finished on the ground a meter or two from the kicker's boot. It is not just shooting for goal, it's the whole kicking caper - and, if I may, I will not tar Malceski and Tadhg with that particular feather.

Maybe we need to change the Puma boots.

In the first stages of Q1 our foot passing was a beauty to behold leading to 4 scoring shots on goal within about 10 minutes (IIRC).
Crows dropped a man back and we had no easy path in the F50.
We didn't adapt at all to the shepherding and decoy running as the Crows rebounded.

ScottH
22nd April 2007, 07:56 PM
Two more things to add...
It was amazing watching the Adelaide team create pockets for McLeod to operate in across half back and still offer him midfield and half forward targets; every time he had the ball I was in awe, but not so much of McLeod (impressive as he is) but of how well the team supported him.
If Davis doesn't come in this week and Grundy holds his place then Vogels could feel pretty hard done by. I'm a big believer in giving the young guys a run for a few games straight, Vogels was given one week and (I think) did better than Grundy has in any of his 3 outings in this run.How calm is he when he gets the ball?

Except for the OOBOTF (pushed as he kicked) and few times in the first 5 mins. when our pressure was intense, he was awsome. Many Crows contributed, but he was certainly the big difference between the teams.

As frustrated as I was everytime he got the ball, I had to admire his skill and athleticism.

DST
22nd April 2007, 08:30 PM
Just got back home from Adelaide.

We got the usual Adelaide v Sydney game, agree these games are hard to watch (especially on TV) but when seeing them live (as I have the last 3 at AAMI) you really get a sense of just how physical in close and tight these two teams play. It's football by suffication, but the committment of both teams can't be questioned.

The game felt closer than it actually was scoreboard wise, which in the end came down to our poor goal kicking.

Read with some interest of the comments on here how Roos and the coaching staff didn't try to mix things up. I thought they started boldly with Everitt isolated at full forward which worked to a certain extent but the ball came out too quickly once it hit the ground. They tried a number of other combinations but the delivery of the ball into the forward 50 meant we just were not able to get a run on.

From my view point they tried in vain to drag Mcleod deep into the pockets at every stoppage but he just refuses to leave that central corridor. We tried to then play through his opponent but due to some poor skills and decision making we were still not able to make him accountable.

Clearly our best was O'Keefe, he has such a large tank and just gets to so many contests. Despite a couple of brain fades Kennelly was also extremely good one on one in the last half.

What can you take from the game?

Clearly both us and Adelaide are finals bound, we continue to generate plenty of opportunities but are not taking advantage of these but that will come as the season progresses.

While an SCG game against the Demons is always dangerous, they looked like they had their spirit broken today with another 3 players gone for next week with not much to come back.

DST