PDA

View Full Version : Shepherding / Blocking ?

RogueSwan
17th April 2007, 09:51 PM
For a lot of the game on Sunday I was screaming for someone to lay some shepherds. The were a number of times a swan would dish of a hand pass and then let their play slide past and attack to recipient of the pass. One example that sits in my mind is Goodes hand passing to Leo in the defensive 50. The lion who was chasing Goodes simply changed course and tackled the flat footed Barry. All Goodes had to do was step in front of the Lion and Leo would have been off on one of his crazy runs. ( I hope you can picture what I am trying to say) Goodes and Barry were not the only guilty parties.
Is there a strategic reason for not shepherding a lot more than we do? If not, it is major failing of a team that prides itself in putting the team first.

NMWBloods
17th April 2007, 09:59 PM
http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=61800&highlight=shepherd#post61800

RogueSwan
17th April 2007, 10:09 PM
So, NMWB, you think nothing has changed over the last 3yrs?

I would have thought with Roos' interest in basketball that he would have employed shepherding more often.

the thing is once I noticed we were laying some blocks, Kirk seeming the instigator, we started playing a lot better.

NMWBloods
17th April 2007, 10:15 PM
I saw a couple of Sunday, but I noticed them because they are a rarity. We seem to do very few shepherds and I think it's always been that way. Good point about Roos and basketball - does seem a bit strange. Having said that though, they do block a lot to let players run off their opponent, as happens in basketball. They just don't seem to shepherd the ball carrier, which is something you can't do in basketball.

bloodboy
17th April 2007, 10:42 PM
I think a lack of shepherding is coming a lot in to general football now. With all of the running and handballing that teams are doing these days, I think that the humble shepherd, whilst probably being more valuable than ever, is becoming a lost art.

How often these days do you see players handballing to somebody within cooee of them and then thinking their job is done or running to try and get another handball whilst at the same time the other player gets tackled. Maybe they might have to get back to basics and read the letter S in the footy dictionary.

The Boot
17th April 2007, 11:56 PM
yeah .. and bring back the shirtfront while we're at it!

Love a good shirtfront.

Triple B
18th April 2007, 12:05 AM
Agree with all the above

That said, I don't think we are any more guilty of any other side at this aspect, but for a side that is freely acknowledged as in the top couple in the premiership + our well preached mantra of 'team' I am amazed how many players give off handballs and just tune out or worse still, players that run alongside the ball carrier looking to be the next recipient of a handball when they could lay a good sheperd allowing the ball carrier to advance downfield and find a forward with a pass. :mad:

tez
18th April 2007, 09:14 AM
yeah .. and bring back the shirtfront while we're at it!

Love a good shirtfront.

I can't remember having seen a decent shirt front years. Having been
a victim of more than one, they put you out of business for awhile.

Mr_Juicy
18th April 2007, 10:04 AM
I agree, however it is all about drawing a player and creating a loose man.

sprite
18th April 2007, 01:41 PM
I can't remember having seen a decent shirt front years. Having been
a victim of more than one, they put you out of business for awhile.

Giansiracusa on Koschitski last year, perfect in execution.

The headclash was the only downside.

The way game is played now there seems very few opportunities for players to deliver shirtfronts.

sprite

Tuco
18th April 2007, 02:39 PM
I think they are a lot more noticeable in open play. We don't get quite as many isloated players as some other clubs though. The way we push the short pass in close players pretty much shepherd for each others by getting tackled.

Triple B
18th April 2007, 03:21 PM
Troy Cook on Rohan Smith in front of the Brewongle, late 90's.:eek:

Best shirtfront at the SCG that I can recall.

DeadlyAkkuret
18th April 2007, 11:13 PM
Troy Cook on Rohan Smith in front of the Brewongle, late 90's.:eek:

Best shirtfront at the SCG that I can recall.

He also got Sinclair with a beauty! When Sinclair was a Docker, and Cook was a Swan.

hammo
18th April 2007, 11:58 PM
I was going hoarse on Sunday calling for our blokes to lay some shephards.

If you're going to handpass to a teammate under pressure at least try and then help him out with a shephard!