PDA

View Full Version : Jack promoted to senior list

i'm-uninformed2
2nd May 2007, 05:46 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Swans-rookie-Kieran-Jack-elevated/2007/05/02/1177788211693.html

i'm-uninformed2
2nd May 2007, 05:48 PM
More here

http://sydneyswans.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsId=42440

ugg
2nd May 2007, 05:51 PM
Well done Kieren! Thoroughly deserved promotion and I'm guessing he's the replacement for Kennelly.

smasher
2nd May 2007, 05:54 PM
Good news.The kid has come on in leaps and bounds and deserves his rise up to the senior list.Well done!

NMWBloods
2nd May 2007, 05:55 PM
That's exciting.

Old Royboy
2nd May 2007, 05:55 PM
Awesome, said Keiren, so say I, and well deserved. He and Laidlaw have been the two standouts in the ressies this year, so it is only right that he will get his chance should Luke and Monty not come up.

iigrover
2nd May 2007, 05:56 PM
In the word's of KJ, that?s awesome!

I didnt think we had any room on our senior list. Does this mean LRT is off the list until he recovers?

hammo
2nd May 2007, 06:03 PM
Congratulations Kieran!

reigning premier
2nd May 2007, 06:32 PM
Should have had a twenty on that at the start of the season... :D

I wonder if he did?

giant
2nd May 2007, 06:36 PM
Yeh, with all that has happened to the kid this year, this is great news.

liz
2nd May 2007, 07:18 PM
Well done Kieren! Thoroughly deserved promotion and I'm guessing he's the replacement for Kennelly.

Doubt it is for Kennelly unless his prognosis has worsened. A player has to go onto the LTIL for a minimum of 8 weeks, and he's not allowed to play in any competition while on that list (ie it can't cover the period while a player might be regaining match fitness in the twos).

The spot is available because LRT was placed on the LTIL a few weeks ago. That means Jack has a month's window - at least to start with - in which to play senior football.

You'd have to think the timing of his elevation means he's a chance to debut this week, depending on whether Buchanan and/or Ablett fail to come up for the game.

If he does make his debut shortly, at least commentators will have heard of him!

ScottH
2nd May 2007, 07:44 PM
Well, done.

I heard he had a fiver on it last week! :eek:

Damien
2nd May 2007, 07:44 PM
Really happy for him.

If he does debut, I imagine the Sydney media will go into a right frenzy considering the status held by his father in League circles. (Keiren was the only rookie player in memory to have his own little press conference when he joined the club!!!)

Glenn
2nd May 2007, 08:35 PM
Well done to KJ (and esp pleasing as someone who was first on the KJ Rookie bandwagon :D )

bandwagon
2nd May 2007, 08:48 PM
Congratulations Kieren! Now what nickname does he have?

Supernova7
2nd May 2007, 09:00 PM
Congratulations Kieren! Now what nickname does he have?

Cracker?

ugg
2nd May 2007, 09:25 PM
Doubt it is for Kennelly unless his prognosis has worsened. A player has to go onto the LTIL for a minimum of 8 weeks, and he's not allowed to play in any competition while on that list (ie it can't cover the period while a player might be regaining match fitness in the twos).

The spot is available because LRT was placed on the LTIL a few weeks ago. That means Jack has a month's window - at least to start with - in which to play senior football.

You'd have to think the timing of his elevation means he's a chance to debut this week, depending on whether Buchanan and/or Ablett fail to come up for the game.

If he does make his debut shortly, at least commentators will have heard of him!

I didn't mean Kennelly's spot on the senior list, I was thinking along the lines of HBF. Although now that I look at his height (179cm) he may be too short to play there.

royboy42
2nd May 2007, 09:35 PM
It's always exciting to see a kid come through the club's growth programme...good luck KJ!

liz
2nd May 2007, 09:42 PM
I didn't mean Kennelly's spot on the senior list, I was thinking along the lines of HBF. Although now that I look at his height (179cm) he may be too short to play there.

He'll be started off with tagging roles. Roos pretty much said that this is how he'd have to make his way when he was given the role on Aker in the NAB Cup.

If he plays this weekend, I wonder if they'll throw him straight into the fray and get him to tag Daniel Wells.

Matt79
2nd May 2007, 09:44 PM
If he plays this weekend, I wonder if they'll throw him straight into the fray and get him to tag Daniel Wells.

Perhaps also Adam Simpson after his 35+ possies against the Cats last week.

satchmopugdog
2nd May 2007, 09:47 PM
That would be quite funny. Wells has really long strides and KJ would have those little legs pumping away trying to keep up.

liz
2nd May 2007, 10:15 PM

One attribute that Jack brings to a tagging role is his speed. Don't see the point in wasting that on Simpson when you've got the likes of Brett Kirk to play on Simpson. We know that Kirky can both shut a player out and win a lot of possession himself. But he'd be run ragged by someone like Wells.

With someone like Jack in his debut you'd probably instruct him not to worry too much about winning his own ball, but just to stop his opponent. Wells has been pretty lively for the Roos so far this season and if his influence were quelled it would go a long way to winning the game. The main risk of Jack on Wells is whether Jack can match him overhead.

Dempster and Ablett (I'm pretty sure) have played on Wells in the past. Dempster's done a pretty good job on him too. But obviously one definitely won't be there on Saturday and the other might not be. McVeigh or Schneider are other possibilities and at least one of them will probably spend some time on Wells during the game. But they're also more capable - at this stage - of providing some offensive thrust than Jack possibly is.

TheHood
2nd May 2007, 10:31 PM
One attribute that Jack brings to a tagging role is his speed. Don't see the point in wasting that on Simpson when you've got the likes of Brett Kirk to play on Simpson. We know that Kirky can both shut a player out and win a lot of possession himself. But he'd be run ragged by someone like Wells.

With someone like Jack in his debut you'd probably instruct him not to worry too much about winning his own ball, but just to stop his opponent. Wells has been pretty lively for the Roos so far this season and if his influence were quelled it would go a long way to winning the game. The main risk of Jack on Wells is whether Jack can match him overhead.

Dempster and Ablett (I'm pretty sure) have played on Wells in the past. Dempster's done a pretty good job on him too. But obviously one definitely won't be there on Saturday and the other might not be. McVeigh or Schneider are other possibilities and at least one of them will probably spend some time on Wells during the game. But they're also more capable - at this stage - of providing some offensive thrust than Jack possibly is.

Geesh, who out of all those blokes could match Wells in the air? I have never seen Scheides in the air, maybe Macca? I haven't seen Keiran plan, but if he can spring for a punch, then maybe he's ok. Wells is just taller.

The Kangaroos have had 2 good wins given their prospects at the start of the season. I think they are just ok wins and I think the Swans are still cranky about their average form and I hope that translates on Saturday night...mainly because I am making the trek south.

Now, as for Keiran, I have been itching for him to make a senior debut and this is really exciting for him and the club. I can see Keiran being Crouchy's succession plan and then some.

Jeffers1984
2nd May 2007, 10:34 PM
Congrats to the young lad. He has really surprised me so far this year and he fully deserves this chance (if he gets picked).

Triple B
2nd May 2007, 10:35 PM
This is way left field, but Keiran Jack to be elevated from the rookie list to put a tag on McLeod.

I doubt those who have seen Jack's development in the past few seasons and especially his form this season would consider it impossible.

Looks like I went off a fortnight early !!!

This kid absolutely deserves it. He will surprise plenty of Melb. based fans who have seen very little of him.

He is built like a tank, quick and his foot skills have improved out of sight.

You can probably tell, but I have to say, I'm bloody well excited and so happy for him.

liz
2nd May 2007, 10:40 PM
Geesh, who out of all those blokes could match Wells in the air? I have never seen Scheides in the air, maybe Macca? I haven't seen Keiran plan, but if he can spring for a punch, then maybe he's ok. Wells is just taller.

That was my thought (ie Wells just being taller) before I posted but I looked up their statistics in the AFL guide. Wells is listed at 180cm, and Jack and Schneider at 179cm. It surprised me a little, as I'd thought Wells was taller than that. He seems to have very long limbs so I'd guess his reach is greater than either Schneider or Jack.

Supernova7
2nd May 2007, 10:53 PM
That was my thought (ie Wells just being taller) before I posted but I looked up their statistics in the AFL guide. Wells is listed at 180cm, and Jack and Schneider at 179cm. It surprised me a little, as I'd thought Wells was taller than that. He seems to have very long limbs so I'd guess his reach is greater than either Schneider or Jack.

If he's had success against Aker, then Anthony Stevens may be a better match for KJ.

Oops! AS retired! meant Brent Harvey.

TheHood
2nd May 2007, 10:57 PM

Got that classic indigenous thin limbed reach.

I am still not convinced of Schneides work ethic on the park, he is interchanged so much that his motor is never really tested. We know he is reknowned for loving a goal, particularly late in a game. I just want to see more consistency from him in a particular facet of the game, be it tag, rebound or attack. Maybe he's a small utility until ??

liz
2nd May 2007, 11:16 PM
If he's had success against Aker, then Anthony Stevens may be a better match for KJ.

Oops! AS retired! meant Brent Harvey.

LOL at Anthony Stevens!

I wonder if Brent Harvey might not be just a bit too wily for a complete newbie. I'd be sticking Crouch on him as first opponent.

ScottH
3rd May 2007, 07:35 AM
The Swans have elevated rookie Kieren Jack to the senior list with LRT currently on the long term injury list

More... (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=7106&newsId=42440)

(This post was automatically generated from news items on www.sydneyswans.com.au )

swannieserin
3rd May 2007, 09:02 AM
The boys call him "Kizza".

Good on him, he's been one of the best in the reserves/preseason all year and was phenomenal on Aker.

giant
3rd May 2007, 10:02 AM
I wonder if Brent Harvey might not be just a bit too wily for a complete newbie. I'd be sticking Crouch on him as first opponent.

Harvey wilier than Aker? Maybe, let's just say you'd keep a close eye on both of them if you were playing poker.

liz
3rd May 2007, 10:29 AM
Harvey wilier than Aker? Maybe, let's just say you'd keep a close eye on both of them if you were playing poker.

Agree - but I wonder whether Jack would have played on Aker if it had been a game that Roos particularly wanted to win.

That said, he did do pretty well on Aker - though Aker would have been far from his best given it was a first-up competitive game of the season.

hammo
3rd May 2007, 10:32 AM
To play devil's advocate for a minute, Jack's game on Aker was in a Wizard Cup game. Aker wasn't at his best and Jack's game wasn't phenomenal.

The big tagging jobs will go to our usual suspects - Crouch, Schneider and I'd expect Kirk on Harvey.

Lucky Knickers
3rd May 2007, 10:34 AM
Great news. The accompanying photo makes me giggle. Hope he debut's soon as I haven't seen him play since preseason in '06 and very much look forward to seeing how he's developed based on the good wraps he gets from many on this board.

ugg
3rd May 2007, 11:10 AM
To play devil's advocate for a minute, Jack's game on Aker was in a Wizard Cup game. Aker wasn't at his best and Jack's game wasn't phenomenal.

The big tagging jobs will go to our usual suspects - Crouch, Schneider and I'd expect Kirk on Harvey.
For all of Kirky's great strengths, pace is not one of them. Crouch will get first dibs on Harvey.

daniel
3rd May 2007, 12:45 PM
even though i am pleased with jacks efforts on getting promoted and everything, i would much prefer to see Laidlaw getting a game for Kennely. Jack should still play for Ablett if he doesnt play however if Bucky comes up then i would prefer if jack misses out. If Bucky doesnt pull up would love to see Simpkins play, and we dont have any depth? pfffffffff

ItsAllGoodes
3rd May 2007, 01:33 PM
Whether he gets a game or not this is a great acknowledgement of his attitude, efforts and improvement. At the very least it must make him very confident that he will be promoted to the Senior list for next season

But one must think that it starts to spell bad news for Bevan if he cant show some improvement very soon

SimonH
3rd May 2007, 06:00 PM
But one must think that it starts to spell bad news for Bevan if he cant show some improvement very soonJust what I was thinking. He's only 22 yoa, has achieved 48 more senior games than 99.9% of us will ever play through sheer grit and hard work, and of course has a premiership medallion (and IMO deserved his spot in the team on the day he won it). But professional footy these days is a very harsh and unforgiving game, and Sydney has an abundance of players of his size and general style; if he can't force his way into the Swans' best 22 on a regular basis soon, he'll be lucky to see 2008.

BTW, Jack has already (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/TheClub/Players/Senior/tabid/7923/Default.aspx) been added to the 'senior players' list on the official website. Very efficient work.

BBBBH
3rd May 2007, 06:03 PM
this kid has already made a name for him self by betting a total of $10...i bet way more than that, do i get recognition...no!

Legs Akimbo
3rd May 2007, 06:06 PM
Sometimes you can just look at a player and tell they are going to make it. Kieren Jack falls into this category. He has a certain, how do you say, je-ne-sais-quoi.

However, I think the writing is well and truly on the wall for Bevan. He will not be at the club next season. He has no je-ne-sais-quoi.

BBBBH
3rd May 2007, 06:11 PM
dont put the mozza on the kid. he hasnt played a game yet.

Damien
3rd May 2007, 06:32 PM
Confirmed to debut.

Good luck to the kid! Hope he kicks ass...A true Sydneysider, son of a League legend. Will be one hell of a story for the AFL if it all works out.

liz
3rd May 2007, 06:39 PM
But one must think that it starts to spell bad news for Bevan if he cant show some improvement very soon

While I don't disagree with the suggestion that Bevan has serious competition for his place on the list, he almost certainly wouldn't have been considered for this week. I'm pretty sure last weekend was his first game back after his hamstring injury and he looked as if he only got limited game time (as is the Swans' way with players returning from injury).

Give him a couple of weeks and then see where he sits within the queue of reserves players trying to force their way into the senior team.

DST
3rd May 2007, 06:44 PM

Simpson & Kirk will be going head to head in a winner takes all smash em fest.

Matthews for Harvey, Crouch for Grant and probably Jack for Wells.

If we are going to bring him in, might as well give him a big job to do.

DST
:D

SimonH
3rd May 2007, 06:50 PM
Sometimes you can just look at a player and tell they are going to make it. Kieren Jack falls into this category. He has a certain, how do you say, je-ne-sais-quoi.

However, I think the writing is well and truly on the wall for Bevan. He will not be at the club next season. He has no je-ne-sais-quoi.Just admit it. You don't know whether they have je-ne-sais-quoi, or not.

Boom boom.

liz
3rd May 2007, 07:01 PM
Simpson & Kirk will be going head to head in a winner takes all smash em fest.

Matthews for Harvey, Crouch for Grant and probably Jack for Wells.

If we are going to bring him in, might as well give him a big job to do.

DST

At a minimum switch Mathews and Crouch around. Grant is very skilfull but also pretty slow. Harvey is very nippy.

Mathews would be far more suited to Grant than he would be to Harvey as he stands less risk of being exposed for pace - an issue Crouch shouldn't have.

Alternatively, we might see Mathews lining up on Simpson and Kirk maybe going head to head with someone like Daniel Harris, who is probably the Roos most dangerous player in terms of getting clean clearances from stoppages. Keep Harris quiet in the middle and you go a long way to neutralising the Roos' midfield.

Old Royboy
3rd May 2007, 07:36 PM
With Keiren making his debut, I wish this week had been one of my planned Melbourne games. I said in the ressies report this week "I gave that honour to Keiren Jack because he compliments his run and carry with terrific in and under work at the bottom of the packs." This, plus his work in defence probably account for Keiren getting the nod this week. I do get the idea that Roos is using this unusual injury window to have a look at what each of the kids can do. He now knows what Phillips and Moore have to offer, now its Keiren's turn. If the right circumstances occur, Laidlaw will get his chance later on. I was surprised he was not named as an emergency this week in case NOG doesn't come up. Probably a "one newbee at a time" philosophy.

I am a big wrap on young Jack. I have never gone to the guernsey presentation before, but I predict Keiren will be presented the #14 next year by Skilts and Kel; if so I will definitely be there.

(no pressure mate, just go out and DO IT)

liz
3rd May 2007, 07:56 PM
I do get the idea that Roos is using this unusual injury window to have a look at what each of the kids can do. He now knows what Phillips and Moore have to offer, now its Keiren's turn. If the right circumstances occur, Laidlaw will get his chance later on.

I think that is pertinent. At the moment Jack has only got a window of 4-5 weeks in which to play senior football, unless LRT's recovery period stretches out further or someone else goes down.

There are no such restrictions on the likes of Phillips or Laidlaw or Moore.

Damien
3rd May 2007, 08:25 PM
I think that is pertinent. At the moment Jack has only got a window of 4-5 weeks in which to play senior football, unless LRT's recovery period stretches out further or someone else goes down.

There are no such restrictions on the likes of Phillips or Laidlaw or Moore.

What happens if Jack turns into a Judd?, (other than me wetting myself haha) - and then LRT comes back onto the Senior List, and Jack has to go back to the Rookie list? What are the implications for Jack and for us in that scenario?

I know at the end of the season, if he turns out well, he will be promoted, but are we limited to the games he can play for the seniors if he has to go back to the rookie list??

NMWBloods
3rd May 2007, 08:31 PM
At a minimum switch Mathews and Crouch around. Grant is very skilfull but also pretty slow. Harvey is very nippy.That was my first thought too.

ugg
3rd May 2007, 09:41 PM
What happens if Jack turns into a Judd?, (other than me wetting myself haha) - and then LRT comes back onto the Senior List, and Jack has to go back to the Rookie list? What are the implications for Jack and for us in that scenario?

I know at the end of the season, if he turns out well, he will be promoted, but are we limited to the games he can play for the seniors if he has to go back to the rookie list??
Yes, I believe he will be forced back onto the rookie list. I remember Essendon having a similar issue with Andrew Lovett a few years ago.

royboy42
3rd May 2007, 09:59 PM
Old Royboy talks a lot of sense re KJ.( And not just cos of our obvious affiliation, even tho I have no idea who he/she is)
Pedigree seems to count a lot in footy, no matter what the code!
The kid has something..I'm going to Melb for the Saints game..hope he's still in the firsts.
After all from rookie to starting 22 in a week is fantastic..I know it's been done but is Schneider the most recent?

Damien
3rd May 2007, 10:03 PM
Yes, I believe he will be forced back onto the rookie list. I remember Essendon having a similar issue with Andrew Lovett a few years ago.

Do you know what the rule is regarding how many games a rookie can play for the senior team?

ugg
3rd May 2007, 10:09 PM
Old Royboy talks a lot of sense re KJ.( And not just cos of our obvious affiliation, even tho I have no idea who he/she is)
Pedigree seems to count a lot in footy, no matter what the code!
The kid has something..I'm going to Melb for the Saints game..hope he's still in the firsts.
After all from rookie to starting 22 in a week is fantastic..I know it's been done but is Schneider the most recent?
Phillips was promoted last year and straight into the team, to the surprise of everyone here. No one saw his promotion coming.

ugg
3rd May 2007, 10:11 PM
Do you know what the rule is regarding how many games a rookie can play for the senior team?
I think as many as he can so long as he is on the senior list. I'm not sure whether he replaced anyone or we had a spare spot on the senior list.

I think SimonH or liz may have a better idea on these matters.

Damien
3rd May 2007, 10:13 PM
I think as many as he can so long as he is on the senior list. I'm not sure whether he replaced anyone or we had a spare spot on the senior list.

I think SimonH or liz may have a better idea on these matters.

Yeah I get the senior list thing, I am just worrying in advance (Might come to nothing) that if he works out and LRT comes back, that we can't utilise him anymore or very often.

ugg
3rd May 2007, 10:18 PM
Okay I've been reading up about rookies and their eligibility.

According to
http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/7415/Default.aspx?newsId=35617
there are two ways a rookie listed player becomes eligible.
1. A long term injury replacement.
2. Being a nominated rookie, which is only possible when the club has listed fewer than 2 veterans. This is how Paul Bevan got his chance, coincidentally also replacing an injured Kennelly.

Not sure whether option 2 applies to the Swans, I remember SimonH posting a lot about it, so perhaps he can clarify matters.

Doctor J.
3rd May 2007, 10:21 PM
Looks like I went off a fortnight early !!!

This kid absolutely deserves it. He will surprise plenty of Melb. based fans who have seen very little of him.

He is built like a tank, quick and his foot skills have improved out of sight.

You can probably tell, but I have to say, I'm bloody well excited and so happy for him.

I will bow to your better judgement mate. (except for matters involving D. Lewis :) )
Good to see "Cracker" Jack getting his chance. Well done.

Damien
3rd May 2007, 10:21 PM
Interesting, thanks Ugg...so basically it looks like he can't play unless on the Senior List, I think we have two veterans nominated.

ugg
3rd May 2007, 10:26 PM
Well, referring to this brilliant thread about veterans

http://redandwhiteonline.com/forum/printthread.php?threadid=18986

according to liz

The Swans have no "inside" veterans so theoretically should be able to nominate two rookies to play senior football.

liz
3rd May 2007, 10:42 PM
My guess (and it really is a guess) is that you have to nominate those rookies before the season starts, rather than wait to see who you fancy playing later down the line.

If that is the case, you'd have to wonder why they didn't just nominate one or two at the start of the year - Jack and Rowe always looked the most likely to push for senior selection this year, allowing for longish term injury issues for Brennan and Davis (M). But I think there are salary cap implications of nominating rookies, so maybe that is why they didn't.

Or alternatively the rule I thought existed and that SimonH researched actually doesn't apply any more, or there are other subtle restrictions that we're not aware of.

But it was certainly made clear last year that Phillips was promoted specifically when Willo went onto the LTIL and similarly it seems clear that it is LRT's injury that opens the door for Jack.

Who knows??

DST
3rd May 2007, 11:01 PM
I get the feeling that it comes down to money in the end. If the Swans did list two players as elevated rookies then it would probably mean that their wages would be adjusted to a senior players base.

While the club is not in the position to have to penny pinch at this point, we were going into a year with our home ground capacity significantly reduced and some doubt over whether we may be on the end of a good run. I get the feeling the club was just being prudent with their cash in case things get tight in 2007.

DST

liz
3rd May 2007, 11:08 PM
I get the feeling that it comes down to money in the end. :D

Or alternatively it might be salary cap. I think that 50% of elevated rookies' salaries counts under the cap, so if things are a bit tight in that department they may not have been able to elevate any until they also got salary cap relief for injuries.

Old Royboy
4th May 2007, 08:27 AM
'That bloody Paul Kelly Cup'

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21668628-5006065,00.html

swans song
4th May 2007, 08:54 AM
Congrats to KJ for his debut. He is going to be used sparingly. He will not shut down Wells. He may tag up on Harvey.
Bulldog must be scratching his head, He may still play as Ablett and (wheelchair) Buchanan must still be suss!
Vogels & Laidlaw must be scratching their heads?

ScottH
4th May 2007, 12:16 PM
BTW, Jack has already (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/TheClub/Players/Senior/tabid/7923/Default.aspx) been added to the 'senior players' list on the official website. Very efficient work.Thanks ;) (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/numbers.php)

ugg
5th May 2007, 10:50 AM
According to this The Australian article, http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21673790-5012432,00.html

he was the replacement for LRT, which means that LRT is out for a minimum 8 weeks.

Triple B
5th May 2007, 12:13 PM
According to this The Australian article, http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21673790-5012432,00.html

he was the replacement for LRT, which means that LRT is out for a minimum 8 weeks.

Thx Scoop.

LRT was placed on the long term injury list after Rd 2. So another 4 or 5 weeks.

Lucky Knickers
5th May 2007, 11:02 PM
Great debut tonight. Old Gazza should be proud. He looked good on the ball and second efforts were excellent. I thought when Wells kicked that goal on him he might drop his head but he's like the energiser bunny and his ability to exploit the tired legs when he went on the ball was great. Really liked how direct he was. Reminded me of Kels for a burst. Looks strong too with excellent balance.

is2SWaNz
6th May 2007, 12:35 AM
Surprise packet of the day me thinks. Played pretty well, especially in the forth quarter. He really helped out in the forward 50 in the clearances. Huge potential (or is it too early to call)?

swantastic
6th May 2007, 12:37 AM
Surprise packet of the day me thinks. Played pretty well, especially in the forth quarter. He really helped out in the forward 50 in the clearances. Huge potential (or is it too early to call)?Pretty good 1st game.

ROK Lobster
6th May 2007, 12:39 AM
Pretty good 1st game.
Pretty good last 10 minutes.

Young Blood
6th May 2007, 12:50 AM
Showed lots of endeavour and generally performed his defensive duties well but coughed it up a couple of times (lack of support didn't help) and conceded at least one soft goal. He was OK - but that's as much as you'd expect from a first gamer.

Nico
6th May 2007, 01:29 AM
Jack's way off ready for the big time. Very small but courageous, but not he type of player we need right now. Mind you he probably has a lot more upside than Crouch as a small defender.

ugg
6th May 2007, 02:08 AM
Did as well as could be expected of him. Some good work near the end of the game, but also there were a few situations where he panicked a bit and could have done better.

goswannie14
6th May 2007, 08:01 AM
Played pretty well for his first game, apart from his first touch/fumble. I liked what I saw and think he will be here to stay.

Nico
6th May 2007, 11:35 AM
Did as well as could be expected of him. Some good work near the end of the game, but also there were a few situations where he panicked a bit and could have done better.

So he was tagging up Wells a quality midfielder and did what was expected of him. Wells 23 possessions. My expectations of him in his first game would have been to take someone a lot further down the pecking order. Crucified is a word that comes to mind.

ScottH
6th May 2007, 12:56 PM
I thought he was OK, A couple of errors, not keeping his feet in that marking contest, managed to stop the mark, but his opponent kept his feet and got a steadying goal. And another where he was tackled and didn't get the ball away cleanly, resulting in a another goal. He had 0,1,5,6 (by qtr) kicks, and seemed to improve as the night went on. Showed a bit of guts, but has a long way to go yet.

Played better then Moore which was surprising.

ugg
6th May 2007, 01:33 PM
I'm sure Crouch was tagging Wells for most of the game.

liz
6th May 2007, 01:57 PM
I'm sure Crouch was tagging Wells for most of the game.

Exactly. Seems a bit hard to judge him by Wells' performance.

I think he was given a reasonable amount of game time for a first game, which is encouraging. He certainly worked his way into the game and didn't seem overawed in that frantic final term.

What is it with Moore? Was he just not on the ground much, or did he not work hard enough to get himself involved in the game?

swantastic
6th May 2007, 02:32 PM
I thought he was OK, A couple of errors, not keeping his feet in that marking contest, managed to stop the mark, but his opponent kept his feet and got a steadying goal. And another where he was tackled and didn't get the ball away cleanly, resulting in a another goal. He had 0,1,5,6 (by qtr) kicks, and seemed to improve as the night went on. Showed a bit of guts, but has a long way to go yet.

Played better then Moore which was surprising.I reckon a few of the Swans had the wrong boots on as a few of them were slipping over.They all should have had screws on IMO.

NMWBloods
6th May 2007, 04:10 PM
Why do we need to promote another tagger? Surely we have enough of them!

swantastic
6th May 2007, 04:18 PM
Why do we need to promote another tagger? Surely we have enough of them!Kerin is pretty quick too.

Nico
6th May 2007, 04:56 PM
Kerin is pretty quick too.

So put him in the midfield where we lack pace and grunt.

NMWBloods
6th May 2007, 05:51 PM
Just watching the game again and Jack did some really nice things. Such a waste making him tag someone.

swantastic
6th May 2007, 07:01 PM
So put him in the midfield where we lack pace and grunt.Steady up Nico,give the kid a taste of senior footy first.

Old Royboy
7th May 2007, 08:59 AM
It seems Roo's has not watched much of the two's this year. Keiren's biggest weakness is in contesting marks one on one. So I was not surprised to see him beaten in one on one contests in defence, the same thing has happened in the ressies. As we saw in the final quarter his best place is on the ball at the bottom of of packs. I hope he gets another go and has the confidence to show his other great strength - running with the ball and breaking the lines.

Go Swannies
7th May 2007, 10:42 AM
Keiren's biggest weakness is in contesting marks one on one.

So he's a good alternative to Baz?

hammo
7th May 2007, 10:47 AM
I think he was given a reasonable amount of game time for a first game, which is encouraging. He certainly worked his way into the game and didn't seem overawed in that frantic final term.

I thought he'd cost us the game in the final term when he brought down Wells without the ball near the goal square. I don't know how the umpire missed it! In the end it didn't matter of course.

ScottH
7th May 2007, 11:43 AM
So he's a good alternative to Baz?:D

I thought he'd cost us the game in the final term when he brought down Wells without the ball near the goal square. I don't know how the umpire missed it! In the end it didn't matter of course. Yes that was one the umps let go, strangely.

A goal resulted, as did the punch in front of the pack that was mentioned before.

NMWBloods
7th May 2007, 03:55 PM
It seems Roo's has not watched much of the two's this year. Keiren's biggest weakness is in contesting marks one on one. So I was not surprised to see him beaten in one on one contests in defence, the same thing has happened in the ressies. As we saw in the final quarter his best place is on the ball at the bottom of of packs. I hope he gets another go and has the confidence to show his other great strength - running with the ball and breaking the lines.
Perhaps it's Roos' bizarre obsession with taggers?

RogueSwan
7th May 2007, 08:17 PM
excuse me, they are called blue collar defensive midfielders.

;)

Bear
8th May 2007, 12:10 AM
Some of the regular knockers here are on the drink as usual.

It was his first senior game for goodness sake.

Although a couple of costly errors, a very solid debut with glimpses of real tenacity that demonstrated he will become a very handy player.

Showed enough in game number 1.

NMWBloods
8th May 2007, 12:14 AM
Some of the regular knockers here are on the drink as usual.
Oh, and who are they...?

ScottH
8th May 2007, 07:32 AM
Showed enough in game number 1.I think you'll find most agree.

ugg
8th May 2007, 11:09 AM
I think this article answers your queries Damien:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21688837-5012432,00.html

hammo
8th May 2007, 11:26 AM
So could Roos find another player the Swans are unlikely to need this season and banish him to the long-term injury list should the pint-sized powerhouse Jack continue to make a strong impression?

"I can't do it. I'd like to but I haven't got that much pull, unless someone gets run over out here," Roos joked, pointing to Driver Avenue, which runs outside the Sydney Cricket Ground. "But I hope that doesn't happen."

:confused:

Damien
8th May 2007, 01:03 PM
I think this article answers your queries Damien:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21688837-5012432,00.html

Thanks for that Ugg.

Must be a hard decision whether to bother playing Jack this week, if we get it together over the next few weeks and he becomes a key part of that, it will be like losing a player to injury when LRT comes back to the list.

ROK Lobster
8th May 2007, 09:19 PM

What obsession :rolleyes:

"To come in, you know, a very high pressure game and a high calibre game and to play that he did [was excellent]," Roos said.

"He went on to Daniel Wells in the last quarter and out of Daniel's four quarters..on Kieran he had the least possesion he had in each of the quarters."
Nice that he mentioned a couple of nice clearances, and slick hands.

swantastic
8th May 2007, 10:47 PM
Piggy Dunstall said...
He's got some serious go in him Kiren Jack,he's hard at it
Well said Piggy

liz
8th May 2007, 11:14 PM
What obsession :rolleyes:

Nice that he mentioned a couple of nice clearances, and slick hands.

I think the passage that impressed me most was in the third quarter when Schmidt was in the defensive pocket and centred the ball to Jack about 40m out from goal and it didn't quite get to him on the full. He was in enough space for that not to be a problem but even a tiny fumble or panic and he'd have been set upon quickly. He gathered the ball cleanly and didn't look at all flustered, before making a reasonable decision to kick the ball well up field to a 50/50 contest.

For a senior player you wouldn't necessarily think twice about them doing the same, but for a guy in his first game it was an impressive show of composure in a match of highly contested and pressured footy.

swantastic
8th May 2007, 11:28 PM
I think the passage that impressed me most was in the third quarter when Schmidt was in the defensive pocket and centred the ball to Jack about 40m out from goal and it didn't quite get to him on the full. He was in enough space for that not to be a problem but even a tiny fumble or panic and he'd have been set upon quickly. He gathered the ball cleanly and didn't look at all flustered, before making a reasonable decision to kick the ball well up field to a 50/50 contest.

For a senior player you wouldn't necessarily think twice about them doing the same, but for a guy in his first game it was an impressive show of composure in a match of highly contested and pressured footy.I noticed that to Liz ,and i was at the game and it looked a lot more difficult on TV but he did a great job.I dont think his stats did him justice IMO he was a lot better than that for a 1st gamer.

TheHood
9th May 2007, 09:54 PM
I really liked his debut game. It's a really hard role he was asked to play and he did enough things to convince this rose coloured bespecticaled fella that he deserves drafting at season's end.

There were a couple of times I thought I was watching Scott West feeding out handballs on his knees. At times, he was a touch slow or needed to baulk but that was just rookie stuff. He got to more contests that some of our "premiership hero?s" and he's got courage.

He has the same foundations in courage as Paul Kelly!