PDA

View Full Version : McVeigh is useless

barry
5th May 2007, 11:26 PM
Soft. No skill. No heart. Rot in Canberra you turd.

graystar
5th May 2007, 11:32 PM
Running inside 50, one pt behind. He has time. Took too long. Tackled by Kerr.

lwjoyner
5th May 2007, 11:52 PM
Agree se my comments about mark papers

Young Blood
6th May 2007, 12:06 AM

It's a pity you can't express your opinions without being offensive.

TheMase
6th May 2007, 12:16 AM
Hun report tonight:

BEST
Sydney Swans: Goodes

Surely not?

melb_blood69
6th May 2007, 12:21 AM
McVeigh was terrible tonight. He is simply not good enough. He almost never beats his opponent and it is time he has a stint in the twos. He hasn't improved. He is still young but I don't think he will ever be good enough.

hammo
6th May 2007, 12:24 AM
The future is looking grim given the time and faith invested in McVeigh

Nico
6th May 2007, 12:28 AM
I cant believe how poor he was tonight. Everytime he was second to the footy, and he has no idea of moving the ball on. There was one time in the 3rd Q when he took a pass just back of the centre circle and was at least 10 metres in the clear but just stood there like a statue and just let North block up the half forward area. Just appalling.

What hope do our forwards have when types like him have no idea. Fair dinkum blokes like O'Keefe and Kirk work their guts and see their work wasted by MCVeigh.

swantastic
6th May 2007, 12:33 AM
Soft. No skill. No heart. Rot in Canberra you turd.Bit harsh but pretty close to the money.

NMWBloods
6th May 2007, 01:52 AM
Probably the worst game I have seen McVeigh play - destroyed by Grant, fumbled and couldn't hit targets. Very disappointing - he has gone seriously backwards this year. The only option left is permanent small forward.

anne
6th May 2007, 08:51 AM
The smart option is admit their recruiting mistake and drop him. He wouldn't be the first high draft pick not to make it.

bandwagon
6th May 2007, 09:02 AM
The smart option is admit their recruiting mistake and drop him. He wouldn't be the first high draft pick not to make it.
You would hope they wouldn't drop Schmidt when Buchanan and Kennelly return.

Nico
6th May 2007, 11:29 AM
You would hope they wouldn't drop Schmidt when Buchanan and Kennelly return.

Of course they will and retain Jude "pretty boy I am a protected species (hack)" Bolton.

cruiser
6th May 2007, 12:34 PM
Agree se my comments about mark papers I'm still trying to work out who Mark Papers is? :confused:

ScottH
6th May 2007, 12:49 PM
I'm still trying to work out who Mark Papers is? :confused:
:rolleyes: He was the player torn to shreds by the roos last night. Weren't you watching??

ROK Lobster
6th May 2007, 12:51 PM
I'm still trying to work out who Mark Papers is? :confused:

It's all explained in the other thread.

cruiser
6th May 2007, 01:08 PM
It's all explained in the other thread. No, it wasn't. That's why I'm still confused. ;)

DST
6th May 2007, 02:56 PM
Probably the worst game I have seen McVeigh play - destroyed by Grant, fumbled and couldn't hit targets. Very disappointing - he has gone seriously backwards this year. The only option left is permanent small forward.

MNWBloods, I watched him closely during the warm-up just before the game and he was having trouble then holding onto the ball and hitting targets and he looked very sore.

I wonder if due to his body size and shape that he finds it hard stringing 5 games together because of the knocks to his body.

I just get the feeling that giving him hard checking jobs is not suited to having playing a full 22 games plus finals.

Maybe it's time to release him on a wing and let him try and run players into the ground both ways.

DST
:D

NMWBloods
6th May 2007, 04:06 PM
One would have thought so. He's light, but quick, so I would have thought make the opposition chase him.

swantastic
6th May 2007, 04:13 PM
He's light, but quick, so I would have thought make the opposition chase him.Spot on NMW we should use him as a wide receiver with his pace and not a go getter he is too lightly built.

liz
6th May 2007, 04:13 PM
One of McVeigh's problems at the moment is that his hands aren't clean. He's fumbling on the ground and second grabbing at receives. He ought to be a player who can gather, run and carry but if you don't take the ball cleanly you lose that second of time you have to get away from a crowd.

Maybe it is a confidence thing? I can't recall in previous years thinking his handling was particularly good or noticeably bad but at the moment he can't seem to tag, doesn't look like fulfilling that outside midfield role (which is where I think his greatest value probably is) and nor does his kicking inspire confidence that he could provide that mid-sized forward role that he's done pretty well in the past.

Just on the clean handling thing, I know last night was a downer all around, but one moment that did have me smiling was O'Keefe's one-handed pick-up without breaking stride followed by the best kick into the forward line all night. That's what we need to see more of!

NMWBloods
6th May 2007, 04:14 PM
That was sweet! :) One of only a couple of highlights for the game.

Many of our players have 'hard hands' (as Dermie describes it). Not enough one grabs, too many fumbles.

liz
6th May 2007, 04:22 PM
Hopefully it runs in the family. I've only seen DOK for a game and a half and he hasn't really stood out yet. But one thing I have noticed him do a couple of times is exactly that same move - keep running, bend down, one handed pick-up and take off.

ScottH
6th May 2007, 04:48 PM
Just on the clean handling thing, I know last night was a downer all around, but one moment that did have me smiling was O'Keefe's one-handed pick-up without breaking stride followed by the best kick into the forward line all night. That's what we need to see more of!You left out after a four way grab for the ball, he kept his feet, leapt over a fallen player, and scooped it up one (right) handed....

Snake
7th May 2007, 09:15 AM

I cant believe how poor he was tonight. Everytime he was second to the footy, and he has no idea of moving the ball on. There was one time in the 3rd Q when he took a pass just back of the centre circle and was at least 10 metres in the clear but just stood there like a statue and just let North block up the half forward area. Just appalling.

What hope do our forwards have when types like him have no idea. Fair dinkum blokes like O'Keefe and Kirk work their guts and see their work wasted by MCVeigh.

Yes, Yes, Yes totally agree. His footy smarts are absolutely disgusting:mad: , I saw him on Grant, only to leave him to help out in a spoil with Ted Richards who almost a full foot taller than him, to only see the ball goto Grant who was now on his own to go and kick a goal, what the in the hell was he thinking? If Richards cant mark that ball did he really think being a full foot smaller her would? Why leave the Kanga's best player? He a pathetic player who clearly doesn't deserve his spot in the team....

Chow-Chicker
7th May 2007, 10:39 AM
Is there any possibility that we can swap him for Mark McVeigh? Sheesh, what a contrast!

Bloody Hell
7th May 2007, 12:15 PM
Maybe it is a confidence thing? I can't recall in previous years thinking his handling was particularly good or noticeably bad but at the moment he can't seem to tag, doesn't look like fulfilling that outside midfield role (which is where I think his greatest value probably is) and nor does his kicking inspire confidence that he could provide that mid-sized forward role that he's done pretty well in the past.

Foot disposal is one of the defining characteristics of the outside midfielder...don't think he'll ever be able to forfill it. His real problem is he doesn't look the goods, and every alternative roll he could fill could be filled better by others.

Alot of the swans youth are suited to the small forward role...surely McVeigh would be well down that list.

(Someone refered to him as Mark McVeigh's brother....if he continues the way he's going it will be the only thing he's known for.)

RogueSwan
7th May 2007, 08:58 PM
I have been a McVeigh supporter from very early on, as some of you may know. Back when he had more hair on his head than his face. :)
I think he has the skills, but really needs a month in the 2's to rediscover them. Maybe they can give Jack McVeigh's role. Then give Jarrad an offensive role (remember those Roos?).
Another thing, I think Fosdike has really improved over this season and last. He used to be a favourite whipping boy on RWO but whilst he is not yet a star he is solid and I feel confident in what he doing. This is what McVeigh should be aiming for.

Nico
7th May 2007, 09:21 PM
I love Fozzie because he is so consistent. He doesn't have a big kick but gets it very often. His shocker on Sat. was in our forward pocket and he tried to pop it to the top of the square and he just got a toe on it.

He works far harder, longer and faster as a combination than any of our midfielders.

liz
7th May 2007, 09:21 PM
Foot disposal is one of the defining characteristics of the outside midfielder...don't think he'll ever be able to forfill it. His real problem is he doesn't look the goods, and every alternative roll he could fill could be filled better by others.

Alot of the swans youth are suited to the small forward role...surely McVeigh would be well down that list.

The role I'd have him pegged for is a mid-sized forward role, rather than a traditional small forward. It is the role that Robertson does for Melbourne, and O'Brien or Nicks used to do for Sydney - ie still a marking target but as a complement to the power forwards rather than just a crumber. It is the role that Davis is probably filling at the moment - with varied success.

In fact, given both were very disappointing on the weekend for different reasons, I'd switch the two of them around for a few weeks and see what happens. McVeigh couldn't possibly contribute less up forward than Davis did at the weekend - not just in kicks but in work rate and pressure skills. So there is no downside and potentially some upside.

And moving Davis onto a wing (but with an offensive but accountable brief rather than a predominantly defensive brief) would get Davis into the action a bit. He couldn't possibly contribute less defensively than McVeigh did at the weekend, and there's a good chance he'd use what ball he did get more constructively than McVeigh is likely to at the moment.

I actually think McVeigh's skills - hand and feet - are good enough. Not great but probably basically sounder than Fossie's. He just seems to be second guessing himself and completely down on confidence at the moment. So either he goes back to Canberra to regain that confidence by ripping games to shreds, or he gets given a different role in the senior team, just for the sake of shaking things up a bit.

Bloody Hell
7th May 2007, 10:38 PM
The role I'd have him pegged for is a mid-sized forward role, rather than a traditional small forward. It is the role that Robertson does for Melbourne, and O'Brien or Nicks used to do for Sydney - ie still a marking target but as a complement to the power forwards rather than just a crumber. It is the role that Davis is probably filling at the moment - with varied success.

In fact, given both were very disappointing on the weekend for different reasons, I'd switch the two of them around for a few weeks and see what happens. McVeigh couldn't possibly contribute less up forward than Davis did at the weekend - not just in kicks but in work rate and pressure skills. So there is no downside and potentially some upside.

And moving Davis onto a wing (but with an offensive but accountable brief rather than a predominantly defensive brief) would get Davis into the action a bit. He couldn't possibly contribute less defensively than McVeigh did at the weekend, and there's a good chance he'd use what ball he did get more constructively than McVeigh is likely to at the moment.

I actually think McVeigh's skills - hand and feet - are good enough. Not great but probably basically sounder than Fossie's. He just seems to be second guessing himself and completely down on confidence at the moment. So either he goes back to Canberra to regain that confidence by ripping games to shreds, or he gets given a different role in the senior team, just for the sake of shaking things up a bit.

Agree with the Canberra sentiment - but McVeigh vs Davis....Not sure if I've seen McVeigh take a decent contested mark, while Nick would be near best in the team. Don't think he plays tall enough to fill the medium role, which is why I assumed initially you were talking about the small role. (Agree Davis should spend more time in the middle).

Don't agree with the Fosdike one. I used to give him HELL. Fumbles Fosdike, everytime he touched (or more often tried to touch) the ball. The thing that kept him in the side was his foot disposal and the fact he was the only outside midfielder...then he played the 2005 GF, and hasn't looked back. The best solution IMO is send Mark's Brother back to the 2's, give one of the young one's a (decent) go (a month)- who can share the time up front and in the middle with Davis.

liz
7th May 2007, 10:49 PM
Agree with the Canberra sentiment - but McVeigh vs Davis....Not sure if I've seen McVeigh take a decent contested mark, while Nick would be near best in the team. Don't think he plays tall enough to fill the medium role, which is why I assumed initially you were talking about the small role. (Agree Davis should spend more time in the middle).

Can't agree that Nick is one of the best contested marks in the team. I'd have him pegged down as pretty run of the mill. He takes the odd one that really sticks out - like that mark of ROK's kick in the 2005 SF and a good one on the boundary line last week. But they are pretty rare compared to other players of his size who play in similar positions.

McVeigh played that midforward role to good effect in the early parts of last season. He looked comfortable, switched on and kicked some very clever goals. He wasn't necessarily taking contested marks, but those shouldn't be the bread and butter of a mid-sized marking forward. It is the uncontested marks after working into space or making lead after lead after lead, doubling back, leading again etc to create that space that they should be doing week in week out. (Not just one lead then stop and sulk because the ball wasn't kicked to you.)

Don't agree with the Fosdike one. I used to give him HELL. Fumbles Fosdike, everytime he touched (or more often tried to touch) the ball. The thing that kept him in the side was his foot disposal and the fact he was the only outside midfielder...then he played the 2005 GF, and hasn't looked back. The best solution IMO is send Mark's Brother back to the 2's, give one of the young one's a (decent) go (a month)- who can share the time up front and in the middle with Davis.

Fosdike's disposal is variable. He goes through phases when he repeatedly coughs it up under no pressure. Those outside midfielders generally get the luxury of kicking with a little more time and poise than the in-and-under types, so they have far less excuse for missing. And even his good disposals don't have the hurt factor of other players - ie they might hit their target but don't travel quickly enough or to imaginative spots to really open up a forward line. He's a decent player but there are tons of "outside" midfielders with far more damaging disposal skills. They just don't play for the Swans...

Bloody Hell
8th May 2007, 03:35 AM
Can't agree that Nick is one of the best contested marks in the team. I'd have him pegged down as pretty run of the mill. He takes the odd one that really sticks out - like that mark of ROK's kick in the 2005 SF and a good one on the boundary line last week. But they are pretty rare compared to other players of his size who play in similar positions.
You really don't rate Davis?!?....that's suprising. I admit he's inconsistant...but he is becoming more consistant. I think he's current troubles have more to do with team structure than his own form.

McVeigh played that midforward role to good effect in the early parts of last season. He looked comfortable, switched on and kicked some very clever goals. He wasn't necessarily taking contested marks, but those shouldn't be the bread and butter of a mid-sized marking forward. It is the uncontested marks after working into space or making lead after lead after lead, doubling back, leading again etc to create that space that they should be doing week in week out. (Not just one lead then stop and sulk because the ball wasn't kicked to you.) He could do a job there...but as I said, I think there are others on the list who could do a better job. How many times a year could he kick 3-4 goals a game (particularly in his current form).

Fosdike's disposal is variable. He goes through phases when he repeatedly coughs it up under no pressure. Those outside midfielders generally get the luxury of kicking with a little more time and poise than the in-and-under types, so they have far less excuse for missing. And even his good disposals don't have the hurt factor of other players - ie they might hit their target but don't travel quickly enough or to imaginative spots to really open up a forward line. He's a decent player but there are tons of "outside" midfielders with far more damaging disposal skills. They just don't play for the Swans...Therein lies his value...and also one of the Swans problems.

lovetheswannies
8th May 2007, 07:42 PM
mcveigh has definitely been useless this year, i couldn't agree more... big disappointment. i really thought he would step up this year, like malceski.
he's got potential... just no where near fulfilling it right now...

liz
8th May 2007, 10:54 PM
You really don't rate Davis?!?....that's suprising. I admit he's inconsistant...but he is becoming more consistant. I think he's current troubles have more to do with team structure than his own form.

I rate Davis at a lot of things - but not specifically on contested marking.

That said, there are many different types of contested mark. I rate him quite highly in relatively static contests where the main skills required are to read the ball in flight and then to position the body to protect the drop of the ball. So long as he has an opponent not significantly bigger than him, he does well here. The Geelong SF mark is a classic example of this. With most of these marks he is able to position his body so he effectively takes the mark on his chest, rather than out in front or overhead.

But I don't think there are that many opportunities for this kind of mark in a game. I don't recall ever seeing him take a screamer - or even one where he had to jump moderately high off the ground. And given no great leap, his stature means he won't be splitting any packs.

And in terms of more common contested marks, which normally require running to the ball or backwards with the flight of the ball, there are several Swans I'd rate significantly higher - O'Keefe, for example, on a hard but pressured lead is outstanding. Can anyone point to examples of Davis taking overhead contested marks? Not sure I can recall any specific examples.

swantastic
8th May 2007, 11:01 PM
Watched the replay tonight and every body was right McVeigh was woeful,to put mildly.