PDA

View Full Version : Injuries

BBBBH
6th May 2007, 10:17 PM
our fantastic run with injuries has come to an end this year.

the lack of depth we possess is quite obvious, i could see it coming from a mile away back in 05-06, we stuck with the same 22-24 players (which we should've) and not many got a chance to learn their craft.

there is no chance we can win the flag with injuries, we built our success on stability and team chemistry.

we are really missing kennelly at the moment, he is so damn pivotal to our play, malceski is ok, but still lacks the experience that kennelly has.

cant complain really, we're playing the saints next week who have one of the worst runs with injury. most would've thought their luck would change, it got even worse this year. all 3 key defenders out for them, hopefully we can have a good win.

if we dont win next week, i will start to worry for sure.

Nico
6th May 2007, 10:21 PM
We have lost key 3 key defenders from 2006 GF. Hurts like hell.

BBBBH
6th May 2007, 10:24 PM
We have lost key 3 key defenders from 2006 GF. Hurts like hell.

LRT is our only key defender out at the moment...who are the other two?

NMWBloods
6th May 2007, 10:33 PM
Nico means 'key' as in important - so Kennelly and Dempster.

ROK Lobster
6th May 2007, 10:36 PM
Nico means 'key' as in important - so Kennelly and Dempster.I thought they were attackers. I had pencilled in Amon and Ablett.

NMWBloods
6th May 2007, 11:00 PM
I thought they were attackers. I had pencilled in Amon and Ablett.
Sorry - this topsy-turvey team has confused me!

SimonH
7th May 2007, 02:15 AM
our fantastic run with injuries has come to an end this year.

the lack of depth we possess is quite obvious, i could see it coming from a mile away back in 05-06, we stuck with the same 22-24 players (which we should've) and not many got a chance to learn their craft.

there is no chance we can win the flag with injuries, we built our success on stability and team chemistry.

we are really missing kennelly at the moment, he is so damn pivotal to our play, malceski is ok, but still lacks the experience that kennelly has.

cant complain really, we're playing the saints next week who have one of the worst runs with injury. most would've thought their luck would change, it got even worse this year. all 3 key defenders out for them, hopefully we can have a good win.

if we dont win next week, i will start to worry for sure.We did win the flag 'with injuries', and go very close to doing so 'with injuries' the next year. Do the names Stewie Maxfield, Paul Williams and Jared Crouch ring a bell?

What you presumably mean is we can't win the flag with a lot of injuries to key players. Which is just stating the obvious. No team can. There's a good argument that the Weagles have the best depth in the comp. Take Cox, Kerr and Judd out of their side and I'd very confidently back them not to win the flag.

'Depth' is not blokes who have played 20 league games (regardless of those games' quality, or their current form). 'Depth' is blokes who can step up from the 2s right now and give a good account of themselves. A club's depth is measured by how blokes like Moore, Grundy and Jack perform when they get the call-up. To which I say: 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Lack of 'depth' generally isn't causing us to lose. No team, no matter how 'deep' its list, has someone who can step in if a Tadhg Kennelly-style player gets injured and play the same position to the same level of quality. If they could, they'd already be in the 22.

The problem is not a lack of depth at the club; it's that we want to use it on a drip-feed, not all at once. I sure agree with you that I'll be worrying if we lose to the Saints, b/c I suspect that the Pahhhhhr's style of game is one that could potentially hurt us on the SCG if they get it right. And I don't think that we could do the Lazarus with the triple bypass thing, and make the top 4 in 2007 from 3-5.

BBBBH
7th May 2007, 01:31 PM
We did win the flag 'with injuries', and go very close to doing so 'with injuries' the next year. Do the names Stewie Maxfield, Paul Williams and Jared Crouch ring a bell?

What you presumably mean is we can't win the flag with a lot of injuries to key players. Which is just stating the obvious. No team can. There's a good argument that the Weagles have the best depth in the comp. Take Cox, Kerr and Judd out of their side and I'd very confidently back them not to win the flag.

'Depth' is not blokes who have played 20 league games (regardless of those games' quality, or their current form). 'Depth' is blokes who can step up from the 2s right now and give a good account of themselves. A club's depth is measured by how blokes like Moore, Grundy and Jack perform when they get the call-up. To which I say: 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Lack of 'depth' generally isn't causing us to lose. No team, no matter how 'deep' its list, has someone who can step in if a Tadhg Kennelly-style player gets injured and play the same position to the same level of quality. If they could, they'd already be in the 22.

The problem is not a lack of depth at the club; it's that we want to use it on a drip-feed, not all at once. I sure agree with you that I'll be worrying if we lose to the Saints, b/c I suspect that the Pahhhhhr's style of game is one that could potentially hurt us on the SCG if they get it right. And I don't think that we could do the Lazarus with the triple bypass thing, and make the top 4 in 2007 from 3-5.

if i recall correctly, crouch and williams were both in the side when we won the premiership. maxfield had retired. those players are gone now (well crouch hasnt been able to get to full fitness).

the thing with the eagles and depth is...take cox, kerr and judd out...and put seaby, priddis and stenglein in. these players are not close to the talent of the first 3 players but they can do a commendable job. with us...take hall, goodes and kirk out...and who do we bring in to back up for them.

i wasnt saying if we took our best 3 players out either, i was saying if we had injuries to any players, whether it be jarrad mcveigh or adam goodes that it will hurt our side because of the amount of injuries sustained in the past few years we have not been able to expose many of our youngsters.

not that theres anything wrong with stability.

btw
In : Brennan
Out : Richards

Chookbilly
7th May 2007, 01:40 PM
if i recall correctly, crouch and williams were both in
btw

Luke Brennan, I forgot about him.

Does anyone know how he's been going? Has he been getting a run in the reserves? if so, how does he look?

ScottH
7th May 2007, 01:56 PM
btw
Brennan is still on the Rookie list. And I doubt will be eleveated after Jack was last week.

And according to the reports Brennan has been disappointing in the reserves.

BBBBH
7th May 2007, 01:56 PM

Does anyone know how he's been going? Has he been getting a run in the reserves? if so, how does he look?

he was ok at the hawks, i couldnt imagine him being worse than richards.

BBBBH
7th May 2007, 01:57 PM
Brennan is still on the Rookie list. And I doubt will be eleveated after Jack was last week.

thats disappointing to hear.

ScottH
7th May 2007, 01:58 PM

Check here (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20444)

and

here (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20381) for reserves reports.

You can also see previous Reserves reports from the here (http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/)

DST
7th May 2007, 02:30 PM

Brenan is three weeks back from a serious knee injury which has bothered him for the last 18 months.

Give him some time to get going again before we start describing him as disappointing.

DST

originalswan
7th May 2007, 03:35 PM
Knee?

Very disappointing!

sWAns63
7th May 2007, 05:29 PM
the thing with the eagles and depth is...take cox, kerr and judd out...and put seaby, priddis and stenglein in. these players are not close to the talent of the first 3 players but they can do a commendable job. with us...take hall, goodes and kirk out...and who do we bring in to back up for them.

Priddis had been the best player in the WAFL for the last couple of years and no AFL teams were keen to pick him up finally the WCE picked him very late in last years draft and he is repaying them sometimes it's good to have a few players who are match hardened through strong comps like the SANFL,WAFL and the VIC league we could do with a couple like him...........there are young players who would slot right in but they have never been tried at AFL level

Nico
7th May 2007, 09:45 PM
Martin Pike said on SEN that players should not be drafted until 20. By then they have played against men, have developed their bodies, and you would find a lot more ready mades who could come into an AFL team and compete well. He was referring here to the Richmond problem of playing the kids and their immature bodies. Makes some smart statements does Martin.