PDA

View Full Version : Goodes poor form

sWAns63
7th May 2007, 04:52 PM
Seeing how important Goodes is to us and how out of form he is should he have a couple of weeks off to get over his shoulder injury and return fresh.
He seems to be in 2004 form when he hurt his knee and struggled out the season.

cruiser
7th May 2007, 10:49 PM
Difficult to say without knowing just how bad his injury really is. Something is obviously not right with Goodes but all we can do without facts is speculate. I'd be reluctant to suggest leaving him out of this weeks important game against the Saints.

DST
7th May 2007, 11:07 PM
True that Goodes is not in career best form at present, but he was one of the main reasons we got back into the game on Saturday night, when Roos dropped him back to the half back and asked him to provide some drive from the back of the square at centre bounces.

Even an 80% Goodes is better playing for us than a 100% Vogels etc

So as long as he can't do any more damage to the shoulder then he stays, simple as that.

DST
:D

NMWBloods
7th May 2007, 11:38 PM
True that Goodes is not in career best form at present, but he was one of the main reasons we got back into the game on Saturday night, when Roos dropped him back to the half back and asked him to provide some drive from the back of the square at centre bounces.Not a lot though - he had only 3 possessions in the last quarter.

voodooguru
8th May 2007, 02:39 AM
Not a lot though - he had only 3 possessions in the last quarter.

He was good in the 3rd man up role, too, no possesion for that or for other 1%ers. I think Goodes has been like a cricketer whose timing's a little off - can't middle the ball. I think his timing came back in the crucible of the 4th qtr. at The Dome last week, and his field kicking looked better too.

I expect him to play well against the Saints.

voodooguru
8th May 2007, 02:44 AM
Even an 80% Goodes is better playing for us than a 100% Vogels etc

So as long as he can't do any more damage to the shoulder then he stays, simple as that.

:D

I want to see Vogels in next week so Goodes can play in the center. If Vogues gets in though, I wouldn't be surprised if Roos started Goodes at half-back against the Saints on-ballers.

giant
8th May 2007, 11:24 AM
This might be Roos' greatest coaching challenge to date - if he can take credit for "inventing" the dual Brownlow Medal Goodes, he now needs to re-invent (perhaps re-re-invent given Goodes 2006 was distinctly different to Goodes 2003) him to reinvigorate his career.

Industrial Fan
8th May 2007, 11:54 AM
I will be having pancakes for Goodes prior to this weeks game.

"Crisis" over.

NMWBloods
8th May 2007, 12:57 PM
He was good in the 3rd man up role, too, no possesion for that or for other 1%ers. Goodes and Ablett both seem to do the third man up role a bit and it rarely benefits us. We bash the ball into space and that usually benefits the opposition.

Jeffers1984
8th May 2007, 02:00 PM
Goodes and Ablett both seem to do the third man up role a bit and it rarely benefits us. We bash the ball into space and that usually benefits the opposition.

Worked well late in the 2005 SF against Geelong ;)

Mr_Juicy
8th May 2007, 07:06 PM
I will be having pancakes for Goodes prior to this weeks game.

"Crisis" over.
I don't think it's the pancakes, I think we need the return of Satchmo's(?) biscuits!

ROK Lobster
8th May 2007, 07:24 PM
I don't think it's the pancakes, I think we need the return of Satchmo's(?) biscuits!That recipe is lost and gone forever as I understand the situation.

Mr_Juicy
9th May 2007, 01:32 AM
That recipe is lost and gone forever as I understand the situation.
crap! so are we then :(

giant
9th May 2007, 11:23 AM
Goodes and Ablett both seem to do the third man up role a bit and it rarely benefits us. We bash the ball into space and that usually benefits the opposition.

Mathews' goal in Q4 came from a third man up (I think Ablett) - equally the Roos' Edwards' goal in Q4 came from Craig Bolton being third man up. Perhaps the message is 3rd man up in midfield = good; in defence = bad.

NMWBloods
9th May 2007, 02:37 PM
Mathews' goal in Q4 came from a third man up (I think Ablett) - equally the Roos' Edwards' goal in Q4 came from Craig Bolton being third man up. Perhaps the message is 3rd man up in midfield = good; in defence = bad.
Good points.

Third man up in midfield or forward line can work well as it puts the ball into space. Problem is that none of our guys seems prepared for it.

Third man up in defence is often a disaster.

AussieAnge
9th May 2007, 02:43 PM
I don't think it's the pancakes, I think we need the return of Satchmo's(?) biscuits!

It was Erinn & Tuesday who used to make the biscuits. I doubt Tuesday will be making them over in Eireland, you could always ask Erinn if she'll bring them out of retirement.