PDA

View Full Version : Carey's last goal

swan_17
3rd August 2003, 05:56 PM
What a joke!! Don't know how the umpire didn't see that one, Carey's last goal of the day was CLEARLY over the line as he marked it....shocking (where was Jude's free for 'too high'?). Replayed it from both angles in slow motion, Carey and the ball appeared to be over the behind line on his first grab
:confused:

Nico
3rd August 2003, 05:58 PM
Saw it that way myself. But what about the Carey umpiring inconsistency.

Throws Sadoo to the ground in 3rd quarter, no free. Gets a 10% of the same medicine late in the game and gets a bloody free!!!

SXP
3rd August 2003, 05:59 PM
Personaly I didn't see that beacuse I missed it, but according to Herald Sun it might have been over the line too.

liz
3rd August 2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Nico
Saw it that way myself. But what about the Carey umpiring inconsistency.

Throws Sadoo to the ground in 3rd quarter, no free. Gets a 10% of the same medicine late in the game and gets a bloody free!!!

I thought there were soft frees and missed frees for both teams - but I agree with that. I didn't think you were allowed to throw your opponent to the ground before the ball arrives - but if you are, surely both teams must be allowed to do it.

ugg
3rd August 2003, 06:04 PM
You're forgetting Lizz, that this is Carey we are talking about. Saddington didn't play him well though as Dermot mentioned, trying to go body to body with him.

Nico
3rd August 2003, 06:11 PM
You're right Ugg. Either Saddo still hasn't learned to play body to body (He's too light anyway) or he has to be kept off the Carey and Tredrae types.

When Schaubes went on him he played him from behind.

aflconvert
3rd August 2003, 06:42 PM
He seems to be a protected species ; that goal when he threw Saddington to the ground and the ball nowhere in sight at the time . If Barry Hall had done that it would have been a free kick
for sure

red_avengers
3rd August 2003, 06:49 PM
We should have won it. That was definately over the line. I HATE that big oaf Carey. Very proud of the boys for fighting to the bitter end. Brave comeback in the second half.

Thought Bolton was fantastic. We missed Ball as got murdered in the ruck. Roos made a tactical error by not bringing O'Keefe on more. Thought LRT was OK because he made a few marks and got a few frees for but he needs to learn to how to dispose the ball as he always relies on someone else.

Adelaide looks like one very polished side. Only had the been Davis with the last kick we may have just clinch it.

I HATE Wank Carey
I HATE Wank Carey
I HATE Wank Carey
I HATE Wank Carey
I HATE Wank Carey
I HATE Wank Carey
x100

swan_song
3rd August 2003, 07:07 PM
Ive freeze framed and slo-mod it too...to me it looks to have been a clear point, which would have knocked 5 points off their score and given us the ball...whether in the end it would have made the difference we'll never know, but an almost "moral" victory could be claimed over the crows...

Xie Shan
3rd August 2003, 08:30 PM
I'm not crying "we wuz robbed", but it looked a lot like a point to me. Whether we would have won I'm not sure, but it hurts more knowing who kicked the goal. What about the burton 'mark' on the wing that C.Bolton knocked out of his hands? The commentators thought it was a mark, I'm a bit more diplomatic...Bolton stole it quickly enough to convince the umpires. Pretty clever work! ;)

Dpw
3rd August 2003, 08:52 PM
I doubt it would have made a difference was proud of the boys I just can't stand the umpire bashing that happens here when we lose.

When made enought mistakes ourseleves without needing to use the umpires as an excuse.

bay_4
3rd August 2003, 10:41 PM
Agree with that DPW. Just watched the game on replay and there were plenty of iffy decisions, but they evened out. Maybe Carey's goal should've been a point, but Sydney's second last goal wouldn't have happened if that mark to the Crows player had been paid (as it probably should have).
Thus has the cookie crumbled. Still a lot of positives to take out of the game.

NMWBloods
4th August 2003, 12:24 AM
Just watched it and Carey was clearly over the line - I looked at his feet - they were comfortably a metre outside the line. Of course not to mention the blatant throw over the shoulder by the Adelaide player to get the ball there.

Ruda Wakening
4th August 2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Dpw
I doubt it would have made a difference was proud of the boys I just can't stand the umpire bashing that happens here when we lose.

When made enought mistakes ourseleves without needing to use the umpires as an excuse.

Consistency is all i expect .

Charlie
4th August 2003, 09:58 AM
I'm staring at still footage right now in the Herald-Sun.

Ladies and gentleman, I believe we have had a top two spot stolen from us.

:mad: This game should be called a draw at least!!!

Dave
4th August 2003, 10:40 AM
Where was that goal umpire from?

sharpie
4th August 2003, 11:03 AM
Ok, I agree there were plenty of poor decisions by the umpires which went both ways.

BUT

I am sick and tired of the number of umpiring decisions against the Swans in the oppositions forward 50, which lead directly to goals. Yesterday, there were 3 noticeable ones - LRT's supposedly deliberate out of bounds, Schauble's "hold"(?) against Perrie, and Carey's "mark"(?) over the line at the end. 2 of these resulted in goals that should not have happened.

Now, I agree that Burton should have been awarded the mark when C.Bolton stole it from him. And yes we did get a goal from it, but it was not a direct goal from a bad decision - the swans still had to work to get the goal.

It happens every week, with Barry Hall and Mick getting pushed out for no free kicks in our forward 50, and then the opposition get easy free goals at the other end.

These umpires are completely incompetent.

penga
4th August 2003, 11:13 AM
we arent gonna drop a game for the rest of the year, so dont worry bout it... ;)

JayTee
4th August 2003, 11:22 AM
That was my question too.

Do goal umpires get moved around interstate like the others or are they locals? And if so does that apply in the finals too?

Sanecow
4th August 2003, 12:09 PM
I dunno where he's from but he should be umpiring in Port Augusta next week.

floppinab
4th August 2003, 12:14 PM
Just watched it and Carey was clearly over the line - I looked at his feet - they were comfortably a metre outside the line.

Of course it matters not where his feet are, more that the ball has to be *completely* (not half, not a quarter but the whole ball) over the line after he has conclusively secured it in his hands.

I don't think it was that conclusive myself, 50/50 call at best (which indeed could have gone our way.......... for a change!!!)

TheMase
4th August 2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by JayTee

Do goal umpires get moved around interstate like the others or are they locals? And if so does that apply in the finals too?

He was from South Australia :mad:

NMWBloods
4th August 2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by floppinab
Of course it matters not where his feet are, more that the ball has to be *completely* (not half, not a quarter but the whole ball) over the line after he has conclusively secured it in his hands.

I don't think it was that conclusive myself, 50/50 call at best (which indeed could have gone our way.......... for a change!!!)

Of course it matters where the feet are. If your feet are a metre behind the line, then the only way you could possibly stop the ball coming in is to have your arms stretched straight out in front. As it was, his arms were on an incline as he was behind Schauble, so the ball most likely passed over the line.

Sid
4th August 2003, 12:53 PM
The unfairness lies in the fact that if it was Bazza treating his marker like that, he would get penalised straightaway.

Saddington played on him pretty poor because they are not really a good match up. Saddo is way to skinny for carey, giving carey a big advantage. We should have put Schaubs on him more i reckon.

As for the carey goal, there was no doubt that it was a behind.

swan_song
4th August 2003, 01:12 PM
Well, BBBH might like to keep "doing a Carey" in his repertoire for the grand final...(that one along with "doing a Lloydie") ... I see it now...Micky kicks miskicks from 50m, it goes over the point line, Bazza sticks his mits up, everyone including the goal umpire stands agog as one actually sticks...he runs out over the point line into play...lines em up and through the hi diddle diddle.....we're 2 ponts behind...20 seconds to play...Bazza throws himself to the ground in an unconvincing manner as if he were starring in Home and Away, Goldspink runs in from 50 metres away and awards him another kick...Swannies win the GF by four poi.....
Oh ****...is that the alarm going off......

whats the chances eh?

Pink_Lady
4th August 2003, 01:50 PM
If this happened I think I'd have a heart attack before the final siren (it was bad enough in round 18 not a G.F). All said and done as Roosey said, it's not like the umpire will come out today and say 'my bad, Swans win' as much as we all would have liked the umpire to be wearing his glasses, it seemed they came off when he paid that free kick against Schauble and spent the rest of the match looking for them. But as most of you have said it was DEFINITELY over the line....COULD HAVE been the difference....
:(

TheHood
4th August 2003, 02:42 PM
What really steams up my boiler room is that Wayne Carey is such a dishonest person! Not just a dishonest player but a dishonest person.

As that ball sailed through for a point, almost all league players would have simply caught the ball, put it down and ran back to position for the Swan's kick-in.

Most people who don't have an ingrained dishonesty would not have contemplated a blatant cheating move. That is why Wayne Carey is a hated man. I can't bring myself to sing his praises after that performance. I don't blame the umpire (completely), Carey lied and cheated.

Wayne crushed his wife's trust and now he has crushed mine!

As for Saddo, I said all that needed to be said through the week. What was he doing body on body with Carey, he should have played just one step behind for the punch and when the forward line was open, he should have played a step ahead. It's not an easy job whichever way you look at it, but Jason was not up to the task.

On the positive side, what a great performance from the boys after Quarter time. I thought Nick Davis was excellent in the first half, Jude was great all day, Tadhg was thrilling, Mick and Baz worked hard all day on a good defensive unit and LRT warmed my heart no end.

It reminded me of Collingwood's marginal loss to Port last year and look at the intestinal fortitude it built in their unit to take them to the Grannie.

Ruda Wakening
4th August 2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by TheHood
What really steams up my boiler room is that Wayne Carey is such a dishonest person! Not just a dishonest player but a dishonest person.

As that ball sailed through for a point, almost all league players would have simply caught the ball, put it down and ran back to position for the Swan's kick-in.

Most people who don't have an ingrained dishonesty would not have contemplated a blatant cheating move. That is why Wayne Carey is a hated man. I can't bring myself to sing his praises after that performance. I don't blame the umpire (completely), Carey lied and cheated.

I can't belive you can draw a comparison between Wayne and Sally Carey, and what he got away with yesterday ...

So if the positions were reversed, and it was a Sydney player who got away with it, you'd complain, or expect him to show a good old fashioned display of honesty, even if it means you can practically say goodbye to your teams finals aspirations ? I wouldn't, i'd be happy to take the points . Doing what Carey did, doesn't make him dishonest, it makes him experienced, and smart enough to try it . The umpire could've pulled him up, but he didn't . So how you can't blame him is beyond me . As much as you probably hate hearing it, one of the biggest lessons to come out of yesterday was, never underestimate a champion . Even if he is getting long in the tooth, and even if he is half broken down . More importantly, especially if his name's Wayne Carey .

TheHood
4th August 2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Ruda Wakening
I can't belive you can draw a comparison between Wayne and Sally Carey, and what he got away with yesterday ...

So if the positions were reversed, and it was a Sydney player who got away with it, you'd complain, or expect him to show a good old fashioned display of honesty, even if it means you can practically say goodbye to your teams finals aspirations ? I wouldn't, i'd be happy to take the points . Doing what Carey did, doesn't make him dishonest, it makes him experienced, and smart enough to try it . The umpire could've pulled him up, but he didn't . So how you can't blame him is beyond me . As much as you probably hate hearing it, one of the biggest lessons to come out of yesterday was, never underestimate a champion . Even if he is getting long in the tooth, and even if he is half broken down . More importantly, especially if his name's Wayne Carey .

This says more about your character than The Duck's IMO.

Back to the main issue, you might think of him as a crafty old fox but I don't. Did you think of him as a crafty old fox for getting away with Kellie on the side for as long as he did before he got caught too.

I reckon Wayne Carey has been a great player for a long time and I reckon Matt Lloyd is a super kick for goal, but I did not like losing like that yesterday just like I did not like Lloydy taking a dive the way he did last week. I have no respect for The Duck at all.

And I don't need a lesson in remembering who is a champion player and I don't think Paul Roos does either. Do you think a 300+ game veteran would?

floppinab
4th August 2003, 04:45 PM
Of course it matters where the feet are. If your feet are a metre behind the line, then the only way you could possibly stop the ball coming in is to have your arms stretched straight out in front. As it was, his arms were on an incline as he was behind Schauble, so the ball most likely passed over the line.

Yes, feet will give you a reference as to where the ball might be but are irrelevent as whether the ball was in play or not.

Have a close look, his right is probably about a metre back but his left is much closer maybe only 30 or 40cm away from the line. First touch on the ball is pretty much in front of the eyes, second is at full arms length in front of his chest. Remember that the whole ball must be over the line, 50/50 at best.

NMWBloods
4th August 2003, 04:52 PM
I watched it again today. Carey was standing sideways, as was Schauble in front of him. Carey basically marked it over Schauble. Certainly not 100% definite over the line, but much more than 50%.

floppinab
4th August 2003, 04:57 PM
OK, I'll give you 60% ;) and as I said it would've been nice to have had it go our way anyway.

The real killers were the frees they got in their forward 50, would've been nice to see for e.g. Micky get one for getting dragged down in the 2nd by Hart.

NMWBloods
4th August 2003, 05:22 PM
The ridiculous free kick to Perrie... :mad:

Frosty_13
4th August 2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by TheHood

If you think that every player in the caper exept Carey would have put the ball down and ran to his position you are in another world. Every player and I mean every player would have played on and kicked the goal if it means the diffrence between winning and loosing. Carey is not a cheat because everyone in the AFL would have played on and kicked the goal. How is Carey to know the ball had passed the line he is not the goal umpire he is mearly just watching the ball and trying to get the ball and not worried about if its over the line.

Think about what you are saying before you say it.

SXP
4th August 2003, 06:51 PM
It was silly by TheHodd to mix somebody's private life whit what is happening on the field anyway. Carey did the right thing to kick that goal make no mistake about that. Every player with the right state of mind would do that. It is up to the umps to make the right call whether or not that was a goal.:rolleyes:

Charlie
4th August 2003, 07:59 PM
To summarise, Wan Kerey is scum.

liz
4th August 2003, 08:42 PM
We didn't lose the game because of that incident. We lost it because we didn't convert our 3rd quarter dominance into more points on the board. Even if that had been paid as a point, the Crows would still have been in front. Who's to say what would have happened from there. The ball would have started from a kick-in, rather than the centre. Maybe Kennelly would still have kicked a goal, maybe not. Everything that happened from that point onwards would have been different.

We lost the game. No great drama given that most of us expected it to happen. We also found out for sure that this is a very good team that we have the honour of supporting, and if they're good enough, this won't be terminal as far as this season is concerned.

NMWBloods
4th August 2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by lizz
We didn't lose the game because of that incident. We lost it because we didn't convert our 3rd quarter dominance into more points on the board.

Or you could argue that we lost it in the 2nd qtr with the breeze and let Adelaide get too far away, or we didn't do enough early in the 4th qtr with the breeze and the momentum. I agree that we didn't lose because of that incident, but in a game decided by less than a goal, a number of key incidents were pretty critical... and annoying!!

robbieando
4th August 2003, 08:53 PM
Who really cares if the ball was over the line or not, the most important person thought it wasn't over the line and frankly thats where it ends for me because I won't lower myself to the level of Collingwood fans and blame that one single moment cost us the game because it didn't, our 2nd Quarter did.

NMWBloods
4th August 2003, 10:36 PM
the most important person thought it wasn't over the line

But I did...

:D

robbieando
4th August 2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
But I did...

:D

Your not that important;)

NMWBloods
4th August 2003, 11:00 PM
Oh well, at least LondonSwan thinks so... :D

robbieando
4th August 2003, 11:06 PM
You mean "Ellessmarktoo" don't you?????

robbieando
4th August 2003, 11:44 PM
I think they would be pippa'ed at the post

red_avengers
5th August 2003, 12:28 AM
Of course that call by some dubious SA umpire matters. The game is won by less than a goal. Sydney was full of running in the final quarter. Crows were 4 pts in front with about 2.30 mins to go. Calling it a goal effectively killed the game, Sydney did not have enough time to manufacture 2 goals... we almost did. Had that been a point Sydney would have run out of defence instead of getting a bounce clogged up in centre square and wasted even more time. We were definitely better in the last quarter.

I know whinging won't win the game back but at least you get it out of your system.

[I hate Wank Carey] x1000

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

robbieando
5th August 2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by red_avengers
Of course that call by some dubious SA umpire matters. The game is won by less than a goal. Sydney was full of running in the final quarter. Crows were 4 pts in front with about 2.30 mins to go. Calling it a goal effectively killed the game, Sydney did not have enough time to manufacture 2 goals... we almost did. Had that been a point Sydney would have run out of defence instead of getting a bounce clogged up in centre square and wasted even more time. We were definitely better in the last quarter.

I know whinging won't win the game back but at least you get it out of your system.

[I hate Wank Carey] x1000

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

But what if it was called a point???? Who knows what would of happened. Who knows we might of stuffed the kick in and let Adelaide kick a goal anyway.

peterh_oz
8th August 2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by JayTee

Boundaries & goals are locals for H&A.

"Best available" for Finals.

In fact, a Sydney Local goal-umped the AFL Grand Final a couple of years back!

scurrilous
9th August 2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by peterh_oz
Boundaries & goals are locals for H&A.

"Best available" for Finals.

In fact, a Sydney Local goal-umped the AFL Grand Final a couple of years back!
Guess who WON'T be goal umpiring at this years GF! :D

Glenn
9th August 2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by scurrilous
Guess who WON'T be goal umpiring at this years GF! :D

Don't tempt it, probably end up with a Swans final match :rolleyes: