PDA

View Full Version : Drop Nick

Go Swannies
12th May 2007, 11:35 PM
There seems to be a lot of anti Bevan sentiment on here from what I';ve read so far. I only saw the game on TV but it looked to me like Bevan was giving us a lot more than Nick Davis. For his natural skills, has he even got out of first gear - except the semi against the Cats?

liz
12th May 2007, 11:37 PM
There seems to be a lot of anti Bevan sentiment on here from what I';ve read so far. I only saw the game on TV but it looked to me like Bevan was giving us a lot more than Nick Davis. For his natural skills, has he even got out of first gear - except the semi against the Cats?

:confused:

He was dreadful last week but far from the worst tonight. There are another 15 or so blokes you'd look at first from tonight's game I reckon.

Guzzitza
12th May 2007, 11:37 PM
Huh? Surely this is meant as flamebait...
Davis did well tonight, he got involved and had more vision that most of players. He has a lot more skill in his right thumb than "Kamikaze" Bevan has in his whole body.
What Bevan did tonight anyone could do, in fact I would argue Jack did just as much, and its only his second game.

barry
12th May 2007, 11:38 PM
Davis did ok. Was choked by the game plan.

Bevan did was he does best. Tackle and apply pressure. His kicking was its usual fluff but no one expects much else. People having a go at Bevan are really having a go at the selection panel as Bevan was never going to give us any more than he did.

ROK Lobster
12th May 2007, 11:40 PM
Close to the dumbest post ever - seriously. If Davis is a waste of talent, Brett Kirk (and about 10 or so of the others) are a waste of hard work.

sprite
12th May 2007, 11:44 PM
I'm not a big fan of Nick, but he did contribute and was a link player when up the ground... let down by those further up the ground.

He seemed to like the opportunity to roam and get the ball. Although as has been pointed out on other posts if BH has two opponnets - who is free??

Bevan is a disgrace - at least Jack has inexeperience on his side.. and the potential to develop

Captain
12th May 2007, 11:44 PM
Close to the dumbest post ever - seriously. If Davis is a waste of talent, Brett Kirk (and about 10 or so of the others) are a waste of hard work.

I second that.

Davis was easily one of our better players tonight. He has more skill in his little finger then Kirk, Bevan, Jack, Mathews, Bolton, McVeigh and Fosdike put together.

Vivien
12th May 2007, 11:45 PM
I thought Davis was decent tonight. Didn't have many opportunities, but then he rarely does. I noticed he was played out of position for a lot of the match (even had a stint in defence). Why Roos would waste a talent like that is beyond me. IMO he's the player around whom the forward line must be built once Hall and O'Laughlin are gone.

NMWBloods
12th May 2007, 11:46 PM
Davis was one of our best tonight.

Fifth highest possessions - only one bad one.

Two goals.

And one thing that most people miss is how much work he does off the ball. He is constantly used as a decoy forward making fake leads. He directs players into position to make gaps or fill them. He blocks for leading players - often blocking for Hall or O'Keefe when they lead.

I reckon he could do better, but I think the standard is set pretty high for him relative to some others (eg: Mathews, Crouch, J Bolton, Ablett, Bevan, Richards).

liz
12th May 2007, 11:51 PM
Third highest possessions - only one bad one.

And if you're thinking of the same one that I am, it was more that he and Hall weren't on the same page in that particular piece of play rather than a skill error. Those things will happen occasionally when you're trying to create something but wouldn't overly blame those two players for that passage of play.

ROK Lobster
12th May 2007, 11:52 PM
And if you're thinking of the same one that I am, it was more that he and Hall weren't on the same page in that particular piece of play rather than a skill error. Those things will happen occasionally when you're trying to create something but wouldn't overly blame those two players for that passage of play.It was one of those where I thought "bugger". It reminded me of a Ray Warren comment in a State of Origin once - "a beautiful pass, just no one there to take it".

He did give off a hospital hand pass to someone though.

NMWBloods
12th May 2007, 11:56 PM
And if you're thinking of the same one that I am, it was more that he and Hall weren't on the same page in that particular piece of play rather than a skill error. Those things will happen occasionally when you're trying to create something but wouldn't overly blame those two players for that passage of play.
No - I thought that was a clever kick (I was sitting right behind it and knew what he was doing), but unfortunately Hall doubled back at the last second. Just an unfortunate misunderstanding.

I was thinking of one where he handballed to Malceski under pressure (although to be fair Davis didn't really have too many other options).

What I like about Davis getting the ball is he nearly always does something positive and effective with it.

Damien
12th May 2007, 11:58 PM
You got to your hotel room laptop quickly Kirky!!!

Go Swannies
13th May 2007, 12:00 AM
When the midfield was playing kick to kick while waiting for the flood to subside inside our forward 50, I'm amazed that Nick would be third for Swans possessions tonight? I saw him play from our forward line back to defence and he seemed to be having fun running around but rarely being useful, except in his standard role as a loose forward.

Incidentally, was the first thing Esky did tonight exactly what everyone accused Bevan of being likely to do: running into pressure and kicking straight to a Saints player so it ricochetted for a goal?

NMWBloods
13th May 2007, 12:02 AM
When the midfield was playing kick to kick while waiting for the flood to subside inside our forward 50, I'm amazed that Nick would be third for Swans possessions tonight? I saw him play from our forward line back to defence and he seemed to be having fun running around but rarely being useful, except in his standard role as a loose forward.

Incidentally, was the first thing Esky did tonight exactly what everyone accused Bevan of being likely to do: running into pressure and kicking straight to a Saints player so it ricochetted for a goal?
I thought he was plenty useful. Two goals and two or three goal assists. Plus when he had the ball in the midfield he put it to position and forward.

BTW - it was 5th - I forgot about the cheap possessions that Barry and Eski picked up.

573v30
13th May 2007, 12:05 AM
Nick Davis - 11 kicks, 6 handballs, 4 marks, 2 goals.

He's not going anywhere...

ScottH
13th May 2007, 12:36 AM
I'd have to disagree.

While I was scathing of Nick last week, he played much better tonight. He even chased hard, while not always catching the chasee, he put a little but of pressure on them.

originalswan
13th May 2007, 12:44 AM
I'd have to disagree.

While I was scathing of Nick last week, he played much better tonight. He even chased hard, while not always catching the chasee, he put a little but of pressure on them.

I liked his chase and bump on the player (can't recall who it was) on the wing, where the ball subsequently went out of bounds.

Don't know though why you would mention his little butt?

swantastic
13th May 2007, 12:46 AM
ND was good tonight but he would have had a few more goals if our dodgey midfield had of kicked it to him insted of Hall who had 2/3 players on him all night.Then again our midfield is as useless as an ash tray on a motor bike ATM.

Mr_Juicy
13th May 2007, 01:55 AM
OK here we go. Davis is a little turd that has so much skill in his left thumb than Bevan ever will have, yet he rarely @@@@ing uses it!!!!

OK the little turd bit is going too far. But FFS Davo do moore more often!

I mean you guys that say "Yeah Davo is great. He's got so much skill". Well so be it, but lets @@@@ing see it regularly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bevan played OK

edit: I do like Davo

Go Swannies
13th May 2007, 08:57 AM
OK here we go. Davis is a little turd that has so much skill in his left thumb than Bevan ever will have, yet he rarely @@@@ing uses it!!!!

OK the little turd bit is going too far. But FFS Davo do moore more often!

I mean you guys that say "Yeah Davo is great. He's got so much skill". Well so be it, but lets @@@@ing see it regularly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bevan played OK

edit: I do like Davo

Thanks - that's what I meant to say.

The last time I was as disappointed in the players not playing to anywhere near their potential was the Saints game at Telstra two years ago. I remember taking a Scottish friend and afterwards, the keenest Swans fans (the ones who travelled to Melbourne for the game) were all having pizza and we told my mate that if he wasnted to see a good game of AFL go see any other team play but the Swans.

We know how that season ended up. Let's see if the players have any sense of shame left - or are too self-complacent to even realise how they are letting us and themselved down. Play well and kick like crap for goal - to kick ok and play like crap - is not an improvement.

ROK Lobster
13th May 2007, 09:11 AM
Thanks - that's what I meant to say.

The last time I was as disappointed in the players not playing to anywhere near their potential was the Saints game at Telstra two years ago. I remember taking a Scottish friend and afterwards, the keenest Swans fans (the ones who travelled to Melbourne for the game) were all having pizza and we told my mate that if he wasnted to see a good game of AFL go see any other team play but the Swans.

We know how that season ended up. Let's see if the players have any sense of shame left - or are too self-complacent to even realise how they are letting us and themselved down. Play well and kick like crap for goal - to kick ok and play like crap - is not an improvement.
So why single out Davis, who played better and worked harder than most last night. He showed discipline a number of times, kicking to the top of the square, rather than blazing away, chased hard, made space, worked back to half back, got plenty of it, and kicked 2 goals.

Why is it that blokes like Mathews and Bolton for instance and constantly defended because they "do their job" even if they do so without much skill whereas Davis is consistently derided for having skill and not doing things like these dour but dependable plodders? Perhaps Davis' job is not to throw himself head first into packs, to get the hard ball, or even to run himself ragged up nd down the field tagging some bloke. Maybe, just maybe, his job is to "create", to take the odd risk and leave his man in the hope of getting the ball in space and setting someone up. FWIW I think he constantly works harder than MOL, delivers the ball more effectively consistently, gives a lot more versatility and is a much, much better kick for goal. MOL's role is accepted - he rarely gets the attentions of RWO - so why wont people accept Nick for what he does and what he gives us. We are a much better side when he is in than when he is not, just as we are a better side with Micky O in it.

giant
13th May 2007, 09:26 AM
This was one of the disappointing aspects of the game for me - Hall, O'Keefe & Davis all played good to very good games - three of the pillars of our forward line & we still couldn't kick a winning score.

I thought Davis looked dangerous virtually every time he had it & was presenting far more than last week.

Danzar
13th May 2007, 10:59 AM
And, as we saw last season, you really can't play Davis back. He's a natural sneak and needs to move up forward. If Davis was quiet at any point last night it was when he was in defence.

Given all that, he played fine in my books.

Nico
13th May 2007, 11:15 AM

How dare you try to defend your pathetic thread lead by putting Bevan on the same page as Malceski. I cant believe anyone who saw the game live or on TV could get the observation of Davis and Bevan so wrong which says little about your ability to observe and analyse.

Bevan had a passable first Q and got junk possessions in the last (I think 3 in one play in defence in the final minutes) and then did his trademark run and get run down no awareness play late in the game when over 20 metres clear.

lwjoyner
13th May 2007, 12:21 PM
Davis was very good, how many of you were at the game I was. Bevan was poor McVeigh was pathetic. and there were many other poor players. Bolton (J), Kirk has laso lost his zing. Got thrashed out of the midfield.

Carolyn
13th May 2007, 12:28 PM
There seems to be a lot of anti Bevan sentiment on here from what I';ve read so far. I only saw the game on TV but it looked to me like Bevan was giving us a lot more than Nick Davis. For his natural skills, has he even got out of first gear - except the semi against the Cats?What game were you watching?
Nick "out of first gear" >>>> Bevan IN first gear

swansrule100
13th May 2007, 01:44 PM
the only time we looked going inside 50 was if davis, or malceski delivered the ball. Davis gave us a real spark early in the third where we could of possibly taken the game, he was all over the field. He kicked a goal at one stage in the game and next thing is in defence busting his guts, he chased down the wing the whole ground a few times, he put 100% in last night.

The checkside goal was great, anyone else (bar hall) like kirky would of handballed it again or chipped backwards, he had the confidence and skills to slot it!

stellation
13th May 2007, 03:26 PM
Forget everything else he did last night and focus on this- Davis had 9 contested possessions (2nd on the field to only J.Bolton- yes he had more than Brett "good in close" Kirk) and people still start threads like this to say he wasn't giving effort.

hammo
13th May 2007, 03:42 PM
2 goals and 2 goal assists means he had a hand in a third of our goals. Hardly a poor game.

swantastic
13th May 2007, 03:47 PM
Forget everything else he did last night and focus on this- Davis had 9 contested possessions (2nd on the field to only J.Bolton- yes he had more than Brett "good in close" Kirk) and people still start threads like this to say he wasn't giving effort.Some people are just dickheads stell,compared to last week he had a blinder.IMO he was pretty good altho he did look a little frustrated at times with the delivery into the F50 but then again we all were.

nat
13th May 2007, 06:48 PM
Is this thread a joke?

goswannie14
13th May 2007, 08:07 PM
Is this thread a joke?Either that or started by someone who either wasn't watching the game at all, or who has no idea of football whatsoever.

Davis was good tonight. The two goals were good, especially the banana!!!:cool: His work off the ball was very very good, his delivery of the ball was excellent, with the exception of the one that NMWBloods pointed out, when was actually an attempt at doing something constructive, but was mis-read by Hall.

Bevan was as useless as an umbrella in a cyclone and Kirk and Crouch weren't much better. (Kirk surprised me last night, he just didn't seem switched on.)

bandwagon
13th May 2007, 08:23 PM
Davis was definitely one of the better ones last night. Kirk I thought broke even with his opponent (Ball), and unfortunately my expectation for Bevan coming back after injury was so low that he didn't disappoint at all.

ScottH
13th May 2007, 08:33 PM
Forget everything else he did last night and focus on this- Davis had 9 contested possessions (2nd on the field to only J.Bolton- yes he had more than Brett "good in close" Kirk) and people still start threads like this to say he wasn't giving effort.I think the difference with Nick and the rest, is that we know what he is capable of, and has the skill to do it.
We'd just like to see it a lot more regularly. Last night he certainly showed the endeavour.

The goal that ROK should have been Nicks. Monty snag the tap facing in field then a few quick fire hand passes and the ball came to ROK who snapped truly.
<< Rewind.
What should've happened. Monty left it as Nick was running around the pack towards goal, but was left stranded as the ball never made it to him.