PDA

View Full Version : Umps and Big Blubbering Baz

Go Swannies
12th May 2007, 11:47 PM
In advance, I query the wisdom of starting a thread that will be misconstrued from the word go. But has there ever been a game that was stopped in its tracks like tonight - and the ludicrous free paid against Baz for a soft push in Gwilt's chest? We had a chance until then, but that was the umpires' nail in the coffin.

However, can I also make a plea to the Swans? Please, oh please, can you give up crying poor and letting the game get away from you? Prime offender No 1 is Baz. Just get on with the game mate and see if you can hold a chect mark the next time it drops.

Offnder No 2 is Leo. We are in awe that he gives away over 10 cm to the blokes he plays on. But he's never going to be able to stand on his quivering lower lip to gain some height so got on with it.

Alison
12th May 2007, 11:49 PM
Hally does whinge a bit when he should get on with the game but gees he must get so frustrated that he does not get a fair go.

I am not sure what you mean about Leo????

ROK Lobster
12th May 2007, 11:49 PM
In advance, I query the wisdom of starting a thread that will be misconstrued from the word go. But has there ever been a game that was stopped in its tracks like tonight - and the ludicrous free paid against Baz for a soft push in Gwilt's chest? We had a chance until then, but that was the umpires' nail in the coffin.

However, can I also make a plea to the Swans? Please, oh please, can you give up crying poor and letting the game get away from you? Prime offender No 1 is Baz. Just get on with the game mate and see if you can hold a chect mark the next time it drops.

Offnder No 2 is Leo. We are in awe that he gives away over 10 cm to the blokes he plays on. But he's never going to be able to stand on his quivering lower lip to gain some height so got on with it.Much better post than your last effort. I try to look at the game as objectively as I can, but I cannot see how Hall is not getting 100% screwed every week. I agree with you GS, he is treated very poorly by the umps, but it aint going to change so he should just get over it.

NMWBloods
12th May 2007, 11:51 PM

Offnder No 2 is Leo. We are in awe that he gives away over 10 cm to the blokes he plays on. But he's never going to be able to stand on his quivering lower lip to gain some height so got on with it.
I agree with all of this.

anniswan
12th May 2007, 11:54 PM

I very rarely get the @@@@es with umpires but tonight was a joke. BBB had every right to be pissed off. 28-14 is a joke. We never had a chance.

sprite
12th May 2007, 11:54 PM
Sorry - but BH kept it togther tonight - bewildered on occassion (as were the rest of us)..

At least there were no 50M penalties given away due to arguing.

I think we have reason to query some of the decisions, as the free count seems totally unbalanced.

573v30
13th May 2007, 12:07 AM
Roosy got a "please explain" from the umps for mentioning the bounce of the ball. I can't imagined what they'd give him he complained about the @@@@ umpiring during the game.

ScottH
13th May 2007, 12:41 AM
The guy on SEN tonight on the Final Siren (a Saints man) gave one of the umps a bashing. (wouldn't name him). Said he had no idea about the game.

Some terrible decisions both ways, but I think we copped the worst of it.

anniswan
13th May 2007, 01:11 AM
Some terrible decisions both ways, but I think we copped the worst of it.

yeah 28-14 says it all

cruiser
13th May 2007, 01:33 AM
The umpires crushed our roll at the start of the 3rd quarter with the most blatant display of favouritism I've ever seen. Was it 7 straight for the Saints in the 3rd quarter after we kicked our second goal? I almost jumped the fence to remonstrate I was so angry.

red&whiterod
13th May 2007, 02:19 AM
Hi there all this is my first post.. i left the ground frustrated and a bit pissed off..

no we didnt play well but i cannot believe the blatant one sided umpiring tonight.i agree with cruiser,if i hadnt been on level 3 i may of jumped the fence, and it wont suprise me one bit if BBB gives up and walks away from footy altogether..

bloodboy
13th May 2007, 02:30 AM
I totally agree with the theme of this thread. I agree that the umpiring was terrible tonight, but I also agree that we have to get on with it. There is no use crying to the umpires after the fact. As I have heard people say a thousand times before, I have yet to see an umpire reverse his decision based on a bit of mouthing off. It is, in actual fact, human nature that after someone has mouthed off at us that we will actually give that person even less of a go in the future.

In saying all of that though, it must be mighty frustrating for the boys. I could cop 28-14 if the saints made all of the play, had most of the ball and deserved to be that far ahead in the free kick count. That simply was not the case though. It seems Baz has to be knocked almost unconscious before a free kick is awarded to him, while somebody just has to look at Nick Riewoldt. I would love to know how many frees Riewoldt averages a game. I reckon he is becoming the new Matty Lloyd in that department.

Consistency is all we ask for in the umpiring. Hey, who cares if they get a decision wrong, just as long as it is consistently called. The holding the ball rule and hands in the back rule are so inconsistent it is just laughable. It is really p'ing me off at the moment that coaches and players are being fined left, right and centre for giving the umps a spray. I understand that we have to have regulations in this area to protect the credibility of the game, but it is a joke at the moment. I reckon I could cop the fact that nobody was allowed to talk about the umpires if there was actually an impartial, independent body looking at the performance of the umpires. All we have at the moment is Geoff Gieschen telling us that the umpires were right 99.9% of the time and that is that. Something needs to be done.

Q...
13th May 2007, 02:34 AM
Much better post than your last effort.

I'm glad you're on top of it...

JF_Bay22_SCG
13th May 2007, 02:40 AM
The umpires crushed our roll at the start of the 3rd quarter with the most blatant display of favouritism I've ever seen. Was it 7 straight for the Saints in the 3rd quarter after we kicked our second goal? I almost jumped the fence to remonstrate I was so angry.

I saw you had two rather charming Sainters ferals next to you mate. Weirdly they left before the end of the game & you toughed it out. :cool:

In regards to the thread topic, this issie has been a pet of mine for ages. Still tonight I think we can excuse Barry for leeetting lose. When you get frees against you like the one in the marking contest with Gwilt in the 3rd quarter, you know your night is totally screwed.

Barry was infinitely better than what he was against North. Not that than is saying horribly much though, it has to be said. At least he was getting the footy & was marking & kicking it better than he has over recent weeks.

But the question asks, is it a chicken & the egg syndrome with him? Is it the fact that he loses the plot and swears at the umpires that is the reason he doesn't get frees than protected species like Nick Riewolt and Fraser Gehrig get. Somehow I think it is.

JF :(

cruiser
13th May 2007, 03:29 AM
I saw you had two rather charming Sainters ferals next to you mate. Weirdly they left before the end of the game & you toughed it out. :cool:
I couldnt believe it! I managed to buy a GA price ticket to sit next tothe CSso that I would be spared sitting near any Saints scum and just my luck, I get to sit next to two of em.They really pissed me off with the sort of behaviour that I have come to realise is typical of somany Saints fans. Why cant they just enjoy their teams success without paying out on Swans fans as well. They are worse than Collingwood and Port supporters.

anne
13th May 2007, 09:11 AM
Riewoldt must be second on the "protected list". And there must also be a reverse list of players - those NEVER to be given a free! The number 1 on that list is obvious!

giant
13th May 2007, 09:22 AM

Right on the money - every time we threatened last night the pillocks in yellow blew us away.

Given the way Gehrig & Riewoldt were treated all night, you'd assume you were watching a different sport. Putting aside the possiblity that the umps are having an affair with Harvey, the likely explanation for this is the carry on from our key protagonsists, the Barrys.

This is the first time I've felt umpires have impacted the result of one of our games for a long time, & God knows they certainly weren't the only reason - let's hope it's a blip and not a return to former dark days when our opponents started with an extra 20 possessions every game.

NMWBloods
13th May 2007, 10:51 AM
Riewoldt must be second on the "protected list". And there must also be a reverse list of players - those NEVER to be given a free! The number 1 on that list is obvious!
The thing that particularly anonoyed me about the umpiring was the inconsistent treatment for the forwards. Riewoldt (especially) and Gehrig were given free kicks, but similar infringements against Hall and Davis were not paid.

Danzar
13th May 2007, 11:02 AM
With some exceptions, I thought most decisions made by the umps were 'technically' correct. That's where it all went pear shaped. We were over policed rather than being the recipient of too many dodgy calls.

A bigger momentum crusher there could not be.

bloodboy
13th May 2007, 12:13 PM
I totally agree Danzar, they probably were all 'technically' there. I just wish that if the umps were going to go down this road they would call every single free kick that was 'technically' there. They seem to be picking and choosing at the moment when they feel like getting technical...that is bloody annoying.

TheMase
13th May 2007, 12:23 PM
Was one of the most one-sided umpiring I have ever seen.

These new rule interpretations are ridiculous, up for way too much scrutiny. It will turn people away from the game. I actually made the comment "if this sort of umpiring continues, I don't know why I would bother to keep watching the game. The specticle is gone."

goswannie14
13th May 2007, 08:21 PM
The umpires crushed our roll at the start of the 3rd quarter with the most blatant display of favouritism I've ever seen. Was it 7 straight for the Saints in the 3rd quarter after we kicked our second goal? I almost jumped the fence to remonstrate I was so angry.Yep, I was ready to jump down from my spot on level 3 next to the scoreboard. I rarely swear, but I did question the parentage of the idiot umpire at that stage.

As for Reiwoldt, I admire him as a footballer, but any time he was near the ball he was given a free kick, he doesn't need that sort of treatment.

Gehrig must have attended the Matthew Lloyd school of diving over the off season!!!:mad:

floppinab
13th May 2007, 08:49 PM
With some exceptions, I thought most decisions made by the umps were 'technically' correct. That's where it all went pear shaped. We were over policed rather than being the recipient of too many dodgy calls.

A bigger momentum crusher there could not be.

It doesn't surprise me to see this thread but during the game I felt we got a few hard ones against us and they missed a few but by far the majority of the lopsided free kick count was for really stupid mistakes on our part, blatant push in the backs, and tellingly I reckon the umps are now well on top of Craig Boltons gentle nudges under the ball and arm chops, whereas he was getting away with a lot of those in the past.

The Big Cat
13th May 2007, 09:24 PM
Consistency is all we ask. Craig Bolton takes one step, gets caught and it's HTB. A saints player gets turned a full 360 and its play on. Buchanan did duck his head, but that's not against the rules - he must be tackled for the ump to call HTB. Watched all the Riewolt frees on the big screen and on most occasions he got less contact than I do walking under an elm tree in autumn!

The scores were level in the 3rd quarter and a run of dodgy frees effectively changed the game in five minutes. A bit like when we jumped them early only to have the saints answer after bewildering centre square frees.

Roosy can't say a thing - he's got a suspended fine over his head for saying the umps last week couldn't bounce the ball (which they couldn't), plus it would have looked like sour grapes if he'd whinged about the maggots when he'd just lost to his mate Ross Lyon. Maybe his comments last week brought a bit of "we'll show him" from the umps. A bit reminiscent of the "whispers in the sky" controversy when Grant Thomas spoke up last year.

TheHood
13th May 2007, 09:34 PM
Atrocious. Remember the prelim of 05. It takes really good footy to get over a free kick count as bad as that.

Matthew James is a rotten sod. So he gets pinged for a night on the sauce and takes it out on the Swans. Geesh. :D

Either way, the Monty HTB was a blight on the game of Australian Rules. That was not an umpiring error it was just sickening from the viewpoint of rules and interpretations. That's not the game that I love. AFL must take a serious look before it kicks old fans in the guts so as to attract new ones.

I really felt like it was the old days of Sydney copping it without reason.

Danzar
13th May 2007, 09:47 PM
It doesn't surprise me to see this thread but during the game I felt we got a few hard ones against us and they missed a few but by far the majority of the lopsided free kick count was for really stupid mistakes on our part, blatant push in the backs, and tellingly I reckon the umps are now well on top of Craig Boltons gentle nudges under the ball and arm chops, whereas he was getting away with a lot of those in the past.
I agree but that was my point. We brought those free kicks on ourselves but as Big Cat says, the consistency was not there. St Kilda had it far easier than us which allowed them to assert themselves on the game. Maybe the umps were getting all religious and just couldn't bear to see the Saints decanonised.

I rarely worry about umpiring in the context of a win/loss but last night pissed me off no end. If I have to pick the lesser of two evils I'll take dodgy calls any day - at least that's an enemy you can see.

ScottH
13th May 2007, 09:51 PM
There's a good pic in the HS of Baz arguing with Ump No. 27