PDA

View Full Version : Win or lose, will Lloyd and Lucas tear us a new one?

DeadlyAkkuret
29th May 2007, 03:21 AM
This pair seems to have a decent record against us, and for some reason, Essendon always have their kicking boots on when they play Sydney, atleast in recent times. I remember two games that were played not so long ago, where they got off to starts of 10.1 and 10.0 or something like that, had me chucking what i like to call a 'manly tantrum'.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who's scared whenever Lloyd lines up on Leo, either. Each time the ball is delivered into the Bomber's forward 50, i can't help visualizing Matty taking a big, strong grab, on the lead. Then, it usually comes true.

S.U.D
29th May 2007, 04:30 AM
Either the strong grab, or diver dan goes down as leaping leo breathes on him, the whistle blows, and leaping does what he does best in such situations: look guilty.

How about superted on diver and B2 on lucas. Let leo run free?

Bloody Hell
29th May 2007, 05:11 AM
Either the strong grab, or diver dan goes down as leaping leo breathes on him, the whistle blows, and leaping does what he does best in such situations: look guilty.

How about superted on diver and B2 on lucas. Let leo run free?
Get's my vote.

ScottH
29th May 2007, 07:41 AM
Where's LRT when you need an Extra Bigman down back?

Lloyd is the one who likes to tear us a new one. Although his form this year has been good , not great. 14 touches/3.5 goals per game.

Lucas has been the one to watch out of the two. 17touches/4goals per game.

And Hird has been in good form as well.

The three of them will be a big ask to handle. The key will be to reduce/stifle the supply. ie pressure the midfield.

Zlatorog
29th May 2007, 07:51 AM
...snip...The key will be to reduce/stifle the supply. ie pressure the midfield.

My thoughts exactly. If we start slow in first quarter we'll be carved up by those guys.

ScottH
29th May 2007, 08:04 AM
My thoughts exactly. If we start slow in first quarter we'll be carved up by those guys.
Deja vu???

Glenn
29th May 2007, 09:53 AM
Deja vu???

Again :eek: :p

hammo
29th May 2007, 10:54 AM
Luckily Leo's been running into some form, but this is the classic case of our backline coming up against a big forward line. We always struggle.

I suspect Goodes will play a big role this week, either running with Hird or perhaps lining up on Lucus.

reigning premier
29th May 2007, 11:28 AM
Lucas is the danger.. Though I hope he kicks 8 goals and Lloyd none as he's in my dream team... :D

But seriously, I think we should be looking to the likes of Dempster to take on Lucas. We need someone with a bit of speed to keep on him when he bursts fwd on the lead.

As for Lloyd, well doesn't really matter. He'll get 5 frees in front of goal. It's just a matter of how many he kicks.

top40
29th May 2007, 11:47 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bombers have an extraordinary record of accurate goal kicking against Sydney. Here's some telling stats:

Round 19 1993 Full Time: they kicked 18-9
Round 18 1999 Full Time: they kicked 15-3
Round 11 2003 Full Time: they kicked 12-7
Round 7 2005 Half Time: they'd kicked 10-1 (14-4 at Full time)
Round 19 2005 Half Time: they'd again kicked 10-1
Round 1 2006 Quarter Time: they'd kicked 9-1 (17-6 at Full Time)

bandwagon
29th May 2007, 08:57 PM
Scary stats. But the one that counts is they have only beaten us once in the last five attempts (and Round 1 counts as the pre-season!).

I like the idea of Dempster on Lucas - smaller players seem to have done ok on him this year. B2 on Lloyd. Maybe Kennelly on Hird just to see if the old man has the legs any more....

NMWBloods
29th May 2007, 09:02 PM
I think Hird is too smart to be on Kennelly, and I think Sheedy is too smart to leave Hird on Kennelly. In other words, Kennelly is not a tight defensive player and I think Hird would find too much space and be too damaging. In return, I doubt if Hird could do a stopping job on Kennelly's run from the backline, hence someone else would mind Kennelly.

Dempster on Lucas is interesting. Dempster is pretty tall, but doesn't play that way (like Kennelly). I would worry about marking contests.

I'd prefer to see C Bolton on Lloyd than Barry. Maybe Barry on Lucas.

TheHood
29th May 2007, 09:09 PM
I think Hird is too smart to be on Kennelly, and I think Sheedy is too smart to leave Hird on Kennelly. In other words, Kennelly is not a tight defensive player and I think Hird would find too much space and be too damaging. In return, I doubt if Hird could do a stopping job on Kennelly's run from the backline, hence someone else would mind Kennelly.

Dempster on Lucas is interesting. Dempster is pretty tall, but doesn't play that way (like Kennelly). I would worry about marking contests.

London to a brick it's gonna be Leo on the FF of the moment, be it Lloyd or Lucas. Craig isn't intimidated anywhere on the field where Leo hasn't been an upfield defender in the longest time. Not sure he's got any sort of motor to go there.

McVeigh on McVeigh? Now that would be interesting?

Big Al
29th May 2007, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=NMWBloods;310071

I'd prefer to see C Bolton on Lloyd than Barry. Maybe Barry on Lucas.[/QUOTE]

I would be very surprised if they weren't the match ups on Saturday. The key is to ensure that they don't get quick service from the midfield. These two could easily kick a winning score if the midfield doesn't do their job.

TheHood
29th May 2007, 09:25 PM
Stanton
Davey
Hird
McVeigh

These are the 3 that will be the danger when it comes to F50 delivery.

Crouch
Schneider
Dempster
McVeigh

These could be their minders in that order I suspect.

Any alternative thoughts?

Triple B
29th May 2007, 09:55 PM

Agree with that fully. Nice change, isn't it :p

At some stage the opposition are going to start tagging Kennelly hard. That's where Eski AND Dempster can come into their own.

I'd reckon somebody like McVeigh.M. may play a negating role on Kennelly and still give them something the other way.

AnnieH
29th May 2007, 10:57 PM
wouldn't the mcveigh's be proud to see their sons lining up against each other and tagging each other for the whole game.
all the effort driving them around as kids paying off.
noice.

ok .. back to the footy chatter kiddies ...

i'd put crouchy on hird.
leo on lloyd
b2 and/or benny on lucas.

Each time the ball is delivered into the Bomber's forward 50, i can't help visualizing Matty taking a big, strong grab, on the lead. Then, it usually comes true.

deadly, maybe you should just stop visualising.

ernie koala
29th May 2007, 11:06 PM
McVeigh on McVeigh? Now that would be interesting?

'Our McVeigh' would get flogged.

AnnieH
29th May 2007, 11:19 PM
'Our McVeigh' would get flogged.

that's the sad reality.
maybe mummy mcveigh can tell their mcveigh to leave our mcveigh alone ... aka, "don't make me come down there"!!:D

DeadlyAkkuret
30th May 2007, 12:04 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Bombers have an extraordinary record of accurate goal kicking against Sydney. Here's some telling stats:

Round 19 1993 Full Time: they kicked 18-9
Round 18 1999 Full Time: they kicked 15-3
Round 11 2003 Full Time: they kicked 12-7
Round 7 2005 Half Time: they'd kicked 10-1 (14-4 at Full time)
Round 19 2005 Half Time: they'd again kicked 10-1
Round 1 2006 Quarter Time: they'd kicked 9-1 (17-6 at Full Time)

I knew i was on the mark, damn those are scary stats:o I still think Sydney will win, by about 4-6 goals, but it's hard not to worry about Lloyd and the accuracy of the Bombers. Maybe Davis can play a prank and hide their kicking boots this weekend? Or steal them, he hasn't been very accurate this season.

reigning premier
30th May 2007, 10:33 AM
So it's settled then.....

B2 on Lloyd...

Dempster on Lucas...

Barry on Hird.... (If he plays fwd)

That leaves Kennelly as our "spare" backman.. :D Looks good to me!

Robbo
30th May 2007, 10:38 AM
The best way to counter their influence is to take away their space. I think I hear a flood.

Triple B
30th May 2007, 11:05 AM
The best way to counter their influence is to take away their space. I think I hear a flood.

The ONLY way to counter their influence is unrelenting pressure from the midfield.

If the ball comes freely and quickly from the midfield it makes not one iota of difference who plays on who, Lloyd and Lucas will 'tear us a new one' the same as Hall and Magic will tear Michael and Fletcher apart if the service is good from our midfield.

In this day and age of not being able to lay a fingernail on the leading forward (I realise it's always been the case with Lloyd) it is damn nigh impossible to stop a leading forward who gets good delivery.

hammo
30th May 2007, 11:13 AM
i'd put crouchy on hird.
leo on lloyd
b2 and/or benny on lucas.

With that height advantage they'd win by 10 goals :rolleyes:

AnnieH
30th May 2007, 12:04 PM
With that height advantage they'd win by 10 goals :rolleyes:

it's been said many-a-time that our backline, for a pack of short-arses, play like their 20 feet tall and i've also heard that they can sometimes be very damaging as well.

ye of little faith.:D

originalswan
30th May 2007, 12:31 PM
Can't get to the game, but would love it if Swans supporters would hold up score sheets for the "dive bomber Lloyd".

His dives are usually worthy of a faultless 10.

Eala ?ireann
30th May 2007, 02:57 PM

Can't disagree with any of that.

reigning premier
30th May 2007, 03:05 PM
Can't disagree with any of that.

You're not trying hard enough....

swantastic
30th May 2007, 05:30 PM
Lucas is the danger.. Though I hope he kicks 8 goals and Lloyd none as he's in my dream team... :D

But seriously, I think we should be looking to the likes of Dempster to take on Lucas. We need someone with a bit of speed to keep on him when he bursts fwd on the lead.

As for Lloyd, well doesn't really matter. He'll get 5 frees in front of goal. It's just a matter of how many he kicks.Mine too RP,and your right about Lourdy Talky he will get a ton of free's right in front.