PDA

View Full Version : Roos lays down the law at Camp

SWANSBEST
7th February 2003, 06:42 AM
Roos resorts to fine print
By Tim Morrissey
February 06, 2003
IT's not all swimming, golf and barbecues with the locals for the Sydney Swans during their four-day pre-season camp on the NSW north coast town of Coffs Harbour where Hollywood hellraiser Russell Crowe likes to lay low.

Three gruelling training sessions including an intra club practice game yesterday ensured the players didn't think they were on holidays.

But for Swans coach Paul Roos preparing for his first full season in charge at Sydney, this wasn't about a blood, sweat and tears boot camp.

It was about laying down the law according to Roos.

On Tuesday before their first training session on the Coffs Habour Showground Oval, Roos spent 2? hours spelling out the Swans game plan rules and objectives for the season.

More: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,5944005%255E23211,00.html

CureTheSane
7th February 2003, 09:56 AM
Great to hear.
The more professional the better.

Looking back at the Mott sacking, I completely agree with it.
That may well be Roos' defining moment.
The time when he really became the coach of the Swans.

So far my feeling is that Roos will exceed my original expectations :)

A swans fan
7th February 2003, 12:03 PM
"If the players see someone at training breaking one of our team rules like no u-turns on the field or kicking to the boundary line it's also up to them to police it," added Roos.

Hallelujah!!! All praise the new Messiah, Paul Roos!

Finally going to put an end to this nonsense!

:D

TheMase
7th February 2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by A swans fan
Hallelujah!!! All praise the new Messiah, Paul Roos!

Finally going to put an end to this nonsense!

:D

I like the sound of ALL of this.

No U-Turns suggests that Roos is working on a game with players continually running off. That is a fast type of game, and very free flowing.

The boundary line part is to limit the stopages and keep the game flowing at a fast speed.

Im excited :D

skilts stilts
7th February 2003, 01:16 PM
"mission statement". Please spare us! I suppose the next step is to get the players to draw up a "charter" to distribute to supporters.Any player who does not adhere to the "mission statement" will,I assume ,receive "counselling".What dribble Roos!

desredandwhite
7th February 2003, 01:24 PM
The evidence will be largely in the next 3 years' results, skilts stilts. Excessive "wankword" usage is always bad (see any examples of management now) but if it works, I'm all for it.

It looks like PR is trying to instill some (for lack of an alternative term) values in the players about the team they play for, and how to see what they are doing in context within the SFC.

Let's wait for the results. In the meantime, I'm reasonably happy that Roos is emphasising skills and team rules.

snajik
7th February 2003, 01:37 PM
I suggest it's a tad early to start calling Roos a messiah. (Remember when it was suggested that The Knack were to be the next Beatles?)

It's all well and good setting the ground rules, however discipline requires a certain degree of precision and some players may require more than others. It can be overdone. Too much discipline I understand was Tommy Hafey's downfall.

floppinab
7th February 2003, 02:36 PM
Messiah is a little over the top, but the coach has got to communicate his vision in the most effective way possible.

Whatever he's done it's not "brain surgery", it's probably a simple plan with some simple rules which will hopefully produce a result on the field. It doesn't sound too heavy on the corporatespeak really, does it.
I've got a feeling we'll begin to hear more comments from left field from Roos during the season. He's just setting the ground rules at the moment. Wait for the season proper to start.

The Knack eh........ Ooohh my little pretty one...........

skilts stilts
7th February 2003, 03:25 PM
Des ,I've searched for years to think of a word to aptly describe these words and expressions that business management gurus have been inventing to justify their industry.Wankword has ended my search and from this day on becomes part of my vocab.Thanks!!

Cheer Cheer
7th February 2003, 03:40 PM
Everyone just calm down on this no u-turn policy for a minute.
While I think cutting down on the u-turn as such is a good idea, cause god knows we have been caught down back one to many times for my liking going round in circles, a total ban on u-turns is a definate no-no in my opinion.
The u-turn is a very effective tool to get out of tricky situations and to switch play to the fat side of the ground.
By all means try an enstil in the players that going backwards is a last resort, but please the u-turn is a necessity that can be used effectively!

CureTheSane
7th February 2003, 03:45 PM
Are you suggesting that the knack WEREN'T the new Beatles?!?!?!
Crazy talk!!!!

TheMase
7th February 2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Cheer Cheer
Everyone just calm down on this no u-turn policy for a minute.
While I think cutting down on the u-turn as such is a good idea, cause god knows we have been caught down back one to many times for my liking going round in circles, a total ban on u-turns is a definate no-no in my opinion.
The u-turn is a very effective tool to get out of tricky situations and to switch play to the fat side of the ground.
By all means try an enstil in the players that going backwards is a last resort, but please the u-turn is a necessity that can be used effectively!

I don't think that is what Roosy means mate.

I know when I started to play in Sydney there was a rule NO U-TURNS.

This means if you are in play, and pick the ball up, or receive the ball running in a different direction, he doesn't want to see any U-TURNS, he wants to see someone running off the player.

Meaning picking the ball up or receiving it and turning around (could be a player there?).
Whereas there should be a player runnings off (or 3) always.

I think that is what he is getting at, trying to clear the ball fast from these type of plays.

Very good idea ...

desredandwhite
7th February 2003, 03:58 PM
probably has to do with the player's awareness as well. If they know there's time and space to turn, and there's no one running off him (ie: they would have to kick backwards 50m), then IMHO there's nothing wrong with the u-turn. if they're unsure, then I guess always look to pass to the teammate running forward.

TheMase
7th February 2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by desredandwhite
probably has to do with the player's awareness as well. If they know there's time and space to turn, and there's no one running off him (ie: they would have to kick backwards 50m), then IMHO there's nothing wrong with the u-turn. if they're unsure, then I guess always look to pass to the teammate running forward.

U-Turns are a risk and slow the game down.

I have been taught no matter what situation, someone should ALWAYS be running off you.

Roos is saying that instead of doing a u-turn, use one of these players running off as it is a much better option then you slowly turning around (for a fast running style game).

Diego
7th February 2003, 04:42 PM
Masey is right. No U-TURNS in Sydney...last time i tried one I was slugged with a 152 buck fine.

So NO U TURNS.

Sorry back to the topic at hand... :o

Cheer Cheer
8th February 2003, 02:05 PM
And what if we dont live in a perfect world and there is no one running off, we just kick the ball to the oppostion up the field for the ball to come back flying over our heads?
What i was saying is that if there are no runners off the person or no perfect option up the field to kick to, i would hope the players would be allowed to do a u-turn and try an find a better option, instead of comitting a turnover for the hell of the no u turn policy, thats all, i probably didnt make myself clear in my earlier post.

Ajn
8th February 2003, 10:28 PM
Roos has got to be given our respect after reforming our style of play after only such a short amount of time, so give him some!

10th February 2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Cheer Cheer
And what if we dont live in a perfect world and there is no one running off, we just kick the ball to the oppostion up the field for the ball to come back flying over our heads?

Well, it wouldn't exactly be coming "back" over our heads. I think it would more likely be going further down towards the oppositions goals :D

No U-turn is a pretty standard rule nowadays. actually it's been a buzzword for at least a decade. Masey is absolutely correct in it's application and theory though. Faster style of play. Less congestion. Creates greater options.

There's nothing better than running backwards of play, dishing out a handpass to a teammate and effectively laying a sheppherd on that teammates opponent.

Reggi
10th February 2003, 08:57 PM
I was once pulled over by a cop in WA for doing a U-Turn he refused to believe that they were legal in Victoria.

Ajn
13th February 2003, 08:29 PM
If one more report on the swans mentions, "mission Statement", I'll scream!