PDA

View Full Version : Time to adopt the Worsfold approach?

hammo
4th June 2007, 03:38 PM
By Worsfold approach I mean playing one on one across the ground - even if it means playing extra men in attack. It's been blatantly obvious to me in the St Kilda and Essendon losses at least that our midfielders and forwards lack the intelligence to combat teams playing an extra man (or men) in defence.

On the weekend Hall was murdered by Mal Michael while Fletcher picked up possessions at will.

We should be smart enough not to kick to Hall when he's double teamed but our midfielders continuously do it. It was interesting that in Hall's column on Friday he referred to this issue and said for the good of the team when he is double teamed he works further up the ground... I didn't see much evidence of this on Saturday.

After the game Mark McVeigh was almost boasting the fact that the Bombers had flooded Sydney all night and beaten them at their own game. All our losses this year can be traced back to the fact we are being super flooded. Our skills no longer stand up to the patient, accurate delivery required of our game plan. By playing one on one in the forward line it would at least give our much-vaunted forward line (which by recent evidence is on reputation only) a 50/50 chance - probably much better.

By playing extra numbers forward of course, it will lead to a more open forward line for the opposition. A big risk, but is it time to back our players one on one? Roos is always on about it but this year at least seems to rarely put it into practice.

This comes back to the whole game plan issue. It frustrated me all night that Fletcher was roaming free, yet Roos did nothing to combat it. At the very least the midfielders need a rocket for continuously kicking to Hall.

NMWBloods
4th June 2007, 04:20 PM
I was of the impression we used to do that. Seems we don't now.

WASwansFanatic
4th June 2007, 04:24 PM
Off the subject but on the subject of Weagles.

Just heard that Cousins will be back training in 4 weeks...then apparently he must train for 2 weeks before being considered for recall.

We play them again in Round 16.....hope he is back so we can fix them up over here and stick it up them!

Claret
4th June 2007, 04:24 PM
I was of the impression we used to do that. Seems we don't now.

I agree. For whatever reason there has been a definite change of mindset this year as opposed to the last few seasons.

It may be just me, but I seem to recall us being more successful going one-on-one all over the ground . . :confused:

Snake
4th June 2007, 04:35 PM
I like the Worsfold approach too, ie get Judd and Kerr playing for us...

NMWBloods
4th June 2007, 04:38 PM
I agree. For whatever reason there has been a definite change of mindset this year as opposed to the last few seasons.

It may be just me, but I seem to recall us being more successful going one-on-one all over the ground . . :confused:
I think that was possibly an element of our success in '05 and '06. I feel even more now that '07 is reminiscent of '04.

DeadlyAkkuret
4th June 2007, 04:40 PM

It's not just you.

swansrule100
4th June 2007, 05:09 PM
I think that was possibly an element of our success in '05 and '06. I feel even more now that '07 is reminiscent of '04.

awww dont let it be true!!! :frown

BBBBH
5th June 2007, 03:32 PM
we never really went one on one throughout the ground ie 6 forwards, backs and mids. we would flood the midfield and leave 2-3 forwards actually in the forward line (hall, oloughlin and davis usually). then the spare players would follow the ball, and our pressure would usually cause opposition teams to faulter, we're playing a bit too unaccountable at the moment for my liking.

AnnieH
5th June 2007, 03:49 PM
geez ... i thought the woosha approach was to just turn your back on everything that's not done on the footy field.:D

yes, the swans should be more accountable and play more one on one.