PDA

View Full Version : listen to mick bleed , oh I love it.

footyhead
9th August 2003, 11:03 PM
Every body knows the wobbles arn't really up to it. It is great to listen to their excuses

It's all Greek to Malthouse
7:10:42 PM Sat 9 August, 2003
Barry Levinson
afl.com.au
Related Content:

Mick Malthouse media conf.

Collingwood and the Brisbane Lions may have been celebrating the AFL?s Heritage round ?Emarking well over 100 years of history - but Magpies coach Mick Malthouse was going much further back in history in an attempt to explain his team?s 39-point loss at the MCG.

Malthouse was drawing analogies with ancient Greece, as he tried to explain the Magpies?Einability to combat an eight goal to one onslaught in the opening quarter

?We were looking for the Trojan horse to break through the fortification of a pretty good football side,?Ethe coach quipped.

The Magpies were blown out of the water from the outset.

After Shane O?Bree kicked the first goal of the match - courtesy of a downfield free kick - it was all downhill for the Pies.

O?Bree had to wait for bloodied star forward Chris Tarrant to leave the field before he could take his kick, after the Magpie copped the ball square on his nose after a close-range kick from teammate Mark McGough.

Tarrant?s nose was not broken and he returned at the 19-minute mark of the first quarter and played out the game, but his two goals from just two marks and five possessions was well below his usual output.

Malthouse didn?t wish to make excuses, but he believed it was a factor.

?I don?t think Tarrant ?Eafter he took that knock ?Ecovered the usual ground that he can, which limited our option-taking in the forward line,?Ehe said.

As impressive as the Lions were in the first quarter, Malthouse felt that the Magpies had played below their best and had too many runners down on the afternoon.

He praised defender Jason Cloke for sticking to his task on Jonathon Brown, but admitted that the Lions centre half-forward?s three goals in the first quarter were crucial to the victory.

Heading into the match with six straight wins behind his side, the Collingwood coach had hoped that Saturday would prove to the football world that his team was superior to the one that finished runner-up to the Lions in last year?s grand final.

But that was not to be the case.

?We?re still short, we?re obviously still short, but I don?t know if today was a true reflection of how good we can be,?EMalthouse said.

?I know we?re better than what we played today, but we?ve still come up short.

?There?s no use hiding from the fact that if it was a boxing contest ?Ewe?ve been bloodied this year already ?Ethey?ve whacked us on the nose a couple of times in round four when we got beaten. I reckon we?ve taken a count today, but it?s not the end of the fight.?Ebr>

SXP
9th August 2003, 11:05 PM
What will be our excuse, I wonder?

footyhead
9th August 2003, 11:06 PM
We don't need one, the swans have over acheived this year, but collingwood have underacheived.

Xie Shan
10th August 2003, 09:37 PM
no, collingwood have vastly OVERachieved ;)

Diego
10th August 2003, 10:18 PM
Sore loser.

'member a few years ago when he had a go at Willo after he kicked the sealer to beat the pies.

;)

Willos won 2 B&F siince so Mick can get stuffed.