PDA

View Full Version : We must trade these players or face 5 years of going backwards

SwanInVegas
7th July 2007, 07:26 PM
Roo's must remove this mentality of being friends with the players and make the tough decisions now: Let's go through of struggling now to reap the benefits like Hawks are:

McVeigh - Gone
Jude Bolton - Must trade now
Fosdike - Adelaide are very keen on Fossie, so lets trade him
Grundy - Trade tom Port Adelaide
Ben Mathews - Trade to Carlton or anyone who will take him
Donkey Doyle - Trade to anyclub, surely some club would take a punt on him
Vogels - Trade to any club - He's not good enough lets face it
Schneider - Trade to the Hawks
LRT - Hack - Trade
Bevan - Gone

matthew smith
7th July 2007, 07:47 PM
mcveigh (trade), Mathews (i'm not sure if anyone wants him) fosdike (no way) Vogels (he needs more time) LRT (absolutely not, he has not played this year) Bolton (if he keeps his poor form going he will be at risk) Grundy (he needs more time, Schnider (no), Bevan (yes) Doyle (might have to keep as insurance) at the moment Mcveigh and Mathews are in danger of losing their positions.

SwanInVegas
7th July 2007, 07:52 PM
You are in denial

They have to go......they are well past it and don't fit into the swans future plans. We must trade them now or we won't get anything for them.

hammo
7th July 2007, 08:00 PM
You are in denial

They have to go......they are well past it and don't fit into the swans future plans. We must trade them now or we won't get anything for them.
Most of the players you've named represent little trade value anyway.

Others like Fosdike and Schneider won't be traded as they offer a lot.

And considering we a desperate for tall forwards and backs, to trade all 3 of Grundy, Vogels and LRT borders on insanity.

I can see McVeigh, Mathews, probably Doyle and Vogels being moved on next season.

Only Jude Bolton would command a second round draft pick or a mid range midfielder looking for a change of scenery and as one of our most important midfielders (which says something in itself) I doubt we'd trade him.

SwanInVegas
7th July 2007, 08:05 PM
Lrt, Grundy And Vogels Are Not Going To Win Us Another Premiership!!!

Time To Rebuild For The Future

cruiser
7th July 2007, 08:14 PM
I agree except for Schneider and Fosdike. Not sure about Grundy either. He can still develop.

RogueSwan
7th July 2007, 08:14 PM
Lrt, Grundy And Vogels Are Not Going To Win Us Another Premiership!!!
No, but with 19 others they could. Vogels hasn't been given a decent chance to prove himself in the seniors since a game against the doggies 2 years ago. LRT was heading for a Norm Smith in 2005. You might be right about Reg but he may shine if he hasn't got to worry whether he is playing 1sts or 2nds every week.
Stop taking those pessimist pills

swantastic
7th July 2007, 08:38 PM
Roo's must remove this mentality of being friends with the players and make the tough decisions now: Let's go through of struggling now to reap the benefits like Hawks are:

McVeigh - Gone
LRT - Hack - Trade
Bevan - GoneMcVeigh Maybe,B1 Yep,Fossie No,Grundy Yep,Benny Yep,Doyle Yep,Vogels Yep,Schneiderman No way,LRT give him another year,Bevan Yep.

CureTheSane
7th July 2007, 09:49 PM
McVeigh - Yep
Jude Bolton - Yep
Fosdike - Maybe
Grundy - Nope
Ben Mathews - Yep
Donkey Doyle - Maybe
Vogels - Nope
Schneider - Nope
LRT - Nope
Bevan - GMaybe

BLT
7th July 2007, 11:24 PM
LRT - Hack - Trade

:mad:

robbieando
7th July 2007, 11:33 PM

McVeigh - Gone
LRT - Hack - Trade
Bevan - Gone

So other than Jesse White and Peter Faulks who most of us have bearly seen play except for the NAB Cup game and the odd Ressies match (depending on the amount of time one puts into watching them that is...) you have basically traded away (or delisted) every single backup Key Position Player we have on our senior list. Great all we need next year is for Hall, Magic, C. Bolton and Leo Barry to at one point be out injured at the same time and you'll see why getting rid mature back talls such as LRT and Grundy would be like handing Carlton a 100 point head start against us at the SCG.

So I'm guessing your plan is that White and Faulks are the great "white" hopes of our Key Position Stocks (you better hope Faulks has bulked up for senior footy), then we'll stock up on talls though the draft this year though the loading up of late round picks though the trades you suggested above (because we wouldn't get a First Round Pick for any of those players).

You can't say we are in "denial" when we are all well aware of the limitations of our list age wise and depth wise. Bottoming out isn't an option as we all know because of the nature of the club being in Sydney (as we keep getting told). But we can rebuild our list though "smart" recuiting when we finish in the Top 8 and making the most of early picks in the draft when we get them. After all, getting players like Nick Malceski, Ryan O'Keffe, Adam Goodes where we did in the drafts we got them was "smart". Just have to start making use of our First Round Picks more wisely than we do and see if we can explolt the new ruling in the Father/Son Rule as well (not to say getting our own Sons of ex players on board if the talent is there).

By the way we aren't going to be able to "do a Hawthorn" because a) we don't have the players to offer up to get 2 First Round Picks in return that we want to get rid of and b) North have "woken up" to this tactic.

Going of the subject a little bit, I got sick of a certain person suggesting during the summer of 2004-2005, that the Swans "do a St Kilda" as at that time the Saints were the so-called blueprint for building a Premiership winning team, by bottoming out and cashing in on the early draft picks. Funny how 6 months later we are the club that has the Premiership and St Kilda's tactics for building a premiership winning team are written off for good.

Now Hawthorn are the blueprint of the month. But yet, no one talks about how Geelong have come to be on Top of the Ladder. Which rebuilding project was better?? The one that involved complete bottoming out and trading of players for high draft picks or the one that involved little time near the bottom of the ladder, time in the finals but very good drafting and access to the father son rule? Both are as good as each other and both "could" win flags in the next few years. But until they win something, they aren't blueprints to follow.

My point the club has it way to rebuild which it under took in 1998 (under Eade) and again in 2002 (under Roos) and saw us win a flag in 2005. Its just about time to rebuild again, but knowing this club we'll do it in a manner in which most of us won't even know we are rebuilding, like most people didn't know we rebuilt in 1998 and 2002 because of the fact we have only spent two years out of the finals since 1996 therefore to most people not connected to the club (I'm talking about fans here) it's impossible for us to have rebuilt at all without spending a long period of time at the bottom of the ladder.

Nico
7th July 2007, 11:34 PM
Those lists are very big trade wish lists. I doubt any club could afford to delist that many players although if the season continues to fall away Roos has made a BS (a quiet one) that he will play the kids so the first to go in a continue slump you would guess would be those destined for the chop.

Crouch is an interesting one because he has now been out for most of the season and as time slips by is less likely to be an impact in the second half of the season. Suspect his body has had enough and coaching beckons.

sWAns63
7th July 2007, 11:48 PM
Keep Grundy for a couple of seasons to see what he can offer
LRT-No
Schnieder-No still think he has some thing to offer though I don't know what yet
Bevan-No looking better in defence this year

SimonH
8th July 2007, 11:51 PM
Yawn, SiV. Have you considered becoming a Carlton fan? They especially enjoy the 'our list is no good, trading/delisting 10 of them at once will put us back on the path to success' threads.

Oh, and in trade week last year there were how many players traded for the whole week? Maybe 10? Certainly less than an average of one per club. And yet somehow the market will find room for 8 Sydney players in one hit.

At least you're not letting complete ignorance get in the way of your opinions.

dendol
8th July 2007, 11:57 PM
Oh, and in trade week last year there were how many players traded for the whole week? Maybe 10? Certainly less than an average of one per club. And yet somehow the market will find room for 8 Sydney players in one hit.

Im glad we havent gone the way of the NRL where players get traded mid-season and no player is expected to be a one-club man during their playing career.

Bas
9th July 2007, 09:49 AM
Rumours going around the ground yesterday was that the Swans were flying Fevola up early so he could have a look at property in the eastern suburbs.

Donners
9th July 2007, 10:25 AM
It would be a bad move to get rid of LRT. I'm not a huge fan, but sometimes you just need a lump to sit on a strong opponent.

Back in 2003 we had Bolton, Schauble, Warfe and Saddington as tall defenders. In 04 it was Bolton, Saddington, Barry and James. In 05, LRT, Bolton, Dempster and Barry. In 06, Bolton, Richards, Barry and LRT.

Barry is now being exposed more and more, so to get rid of LRT as well would leave us two key defenders down, with no obvious replacements.

Donners
9th July 2007, 10:26 AM
Rumours going around the ground yesterday was that the Swans were flying Fevola up early so he could have a look at property in the eastern suburbs.

Good move. Thanks to the Everitt signing, I've had a fair bit more money and time without a membership. Sign Fev, and I can have the same next year.

Danzar
9th July 2007, 02:16 PM

McVeigh - Gone
LRT - Hack - Trade
Bevan - Gone

Agree with only a third of these suggestions - the rest are a product of warped sense of reality.

I'm getting a weird sense of Dejavu from this post/poster.

Layby
9th July 2007, 02:57 PM
Good move. Thanks to the Everitt signing, I've had a fair bit more money and time without a membership. Sign Fev, and I can have the same next year.

Hammo has a slightly ripped membership going cheap.

might be worth buying ?

barry
9th July 2007, 03:25 PM

The telegraph read bigfooty, Rebecca Wilson published it, which then got quoted by RWO.

Self propogating rumour with about zero substance.

Industrial Fan
9th July 2007, 03:26 PM
I'd consider becoming a member again next year if we recruited the fev.

Cop that Roos and your so called "match day committee".

reigning premier
9th July 2007, 03:32 PM
The telegraph read bigfooty, Rebecca Wilson published it, which then got quoted by RWO.

I don't think there's that much substance to it

reigning premier
9th July 2007, 03:34 PM
Swans don't trade players period.

Unless someone specifically wants to go, they don't get traded.

bricon
9th July 2007, 04:59 PM
Swans don't trade players period.

Unless someone specifically wants to go, they don't get traded.

If a player is coming off contract and is not required by the club, that player would usually prefer that a trade was organised and go to another club (of his preference) than take his chance in the draft ? even though his first choice would be to remain at his existing club.

giant
9th July 2007, 05:00 PM
But we MUST follow Hawthorn - haven't you seen how many premierships they've won?:rolleyes:

Nico
9th July 2007, 08:29 PM
Keep Grundy for a couple of seasons to see what he can offer
LRT-No
Schnieder-No still think he has some thing to offer though I don't know what yet
Bevan-No looking better in defence this year

Another on the Bevan bandwagon. Can you check to see if ROK-L is on there.
Last time I heard he still had a fingernail on Davis bandwagon, but then again he may have jumped ship. Indeed the fickle rule the world.

Bas
10th July 2007, 12:14 AM

It's true because both Rebecca and the bloke sitting next to me who had 15 beers said it was true.

He also said that he heard:
1. ROK wants to be traded back to Melbourne at year's end;
2. Barry Hall is consideriing joining the priesthood and that's why he can't play at the moment;
3. Fevola will be running the Auskick clinics; and
4. Brett Kirk is really a muslim.

jenky28
10th July 2007, 07:37 AM
I cant see the swans trading that many players anyway!! According to the melbourne herald sun fevola wants to stay at the blues so we most likely wont get him! i cant see how we need him anyways!

If yas want crouch gone then thats up to you but surely having 1 injury prone season doesnt make him delistable considering how many games service he gave us without missing a game! Esp wen doyle rarely plays and remains on the list!!

Cheers Jenky28

hammo
10th July 2007, 08:16 AM
If yas want crouch gone then thats up to you but surely having 1 injury prone season doesnt make him delistable considering how many games service he gave us without missing a game! Esp wen doyle rarely plays and remains on the list!!

The problem for Crouch is his role can be filled by half a dozen players on the list. I have no doubt a fit Crouch would improve the team but the fact Roos has Bevan playing that small defender role in his place does say something. He's not irreplaceable.

The reason Doyle has been persevered with is because he's a ruckman. They're a dime a dozen compared to small midfielders / defenders.

For Crouch this is his second injury prone season in a row. Unfortunately for him, if there is a serious review of the list at the end of the year, I see him as a likely candidate to be moved on.

Hazcam
10th July 2007, 09:37 PM
McVeigh Maybe,B1 Yep,Fossie No,Grundy Yep,Benny Yep,Doyle Yep,Vogels Yep,Schneiderman No way,LRT give him another year,Bevan Yep.

we should:
keep McVeigh
keep schneider

if bolton has a shocker for the rest of the year then he's got to go we need class in the midfield, i'd even consider booting ablett as well

LRT is a bit of a goose but he gets the job done so he's a 50/50
Doyle should be kept bcoz spida wont be there for more than 2 yrs

grundy has potential so keep him
mathews gone
bevan has promise so keep him
vogels is another they should blood

maybe try to get fev?
another quality backman and 1 more class midfielder

robbieando
11th July 2007, 12:29 AM
maybe try to get fev?
another quality backman and 1 more class midfielder

How do we do that??

If Fev leaves Carlton, they are going to want at least 2 Top 20 Draft Picks which a) we won't have two, only one and b) we would have to trade a player we don't want to trade to get the second. Meaning the cost to get Fev would be too much for a club that is suppose to be rebuilding.

So then how do we then get a quality backman and a class midfielder when we have lost our early round draft picks and our most valuable player tradewise just to get Fev?? Clubs aren't going to be willing to give up class players for next to nothing and we aren't going to be in a postion in the pre season draft to make use of our selection either salary cap wise or selection wise.

I suggest we forget about going after a "big name" via a trade and keep our picks (and if we can move on any unwanted/wantaway players for extra picks all the better) and draft for our needs there because this years draft is going to be the most important for a long time. We are coming up to a down period and we can't get caught up in the idea that we can trade our way out of it. We must draft wisely and build for the future and hope any down period last a short amount of years.

Lets build on our depth, not kill it off.

Triple B
11th July 2007, 12:41 AM
The reason Doyle has been persevered with is because he's a ruckman. They're a dime a dozen compared to small midfielders / defenders.

:D nice one, Centurion.