PDA

View Full Version : NSW rookies - priority

google
5th August 2007, 08:43 PM
who are those u18 players that the swans may pre-list as rookie players in 2007 from either the NSW/ACT rams or Murray Bushrangers?

google
8th August 2007, 09:26 PM
any1 any1??!!;)

ugg
8th August 2007, 11:47 PM
I think without having inside contacts within the club, it would just be guesswork. See the previous reserves threads for comments about Josh Keen and Matthew Beckmans: 2 top-up players that have impressed.

liz
8th August 2007, 11:55 PM
The apprenticeship scheme kicking in this year makes things a little harder to predict too. Only a handful of the apprentices are eligible this year and it's hard to know how clubs will view their options to take up these players, given the publicity and the ties they have developed. Most will be the type of borderline player that might otherwise have slipped through to the rookie draft - and hence to the Swans, if they wanted them.

You'd expect the Crows to think long and hard before passing up on Taylor Walker. The rest - Bird aside - are probably less likely to get picked up. But it will be hard for the club to know what's available until those decisions have been made.

Another possible contender is the young short bloke from Broken Hill who starred in the u18 championships. At Simon Phillips height and a second division player to boot, he's unlikely to get taken in the main draft, but may be worth a rookie punt. (I know the person who filled in his name for me last time will probably oblige again! - its Lachie something.)

Jeffers1984
9th August 2007, 09:08 AM
Another possible contender is the young short bloke from Broken Hill who starred in the u18 championships. At Simon Phillips height and a second division player to boot, he's unlikely to get taken in the main draft, but may be worth a rookie punt. (I know the person who filled in his name for me last time will probably oblige again! - its Lachie something.)
McKenzie?? I think that was his name. He looked pretty good for the Rams against NT. Very zippy.

ugg
9th August 2007, 09:58 AM
McGregor I think. Mc-something anyway. It would be great, McVeigh can be Mc1 and he can be Mc2.

BeeEmmAre
9th August 2007, 10:16 AM
McGregor I think. Mc-something anyway. It would be great, McVeigh can be Mc1 and he can be Mc2.

Bingo

DST
9th August 2007, 11:23 AM
who are those u18 players that the swans may pre-list as rookie players in 2007 from either the NSW/ACT rams or Murray Bushrangers?

Way too early to call as we need to go through the draft then the pre season draft before we get a chance to look at the pool that is left to rookie list before everyone.

As Liz has noted we will also need to see what is not listed by other clubs under the scholoarhsip scheme as well as they will come under consideration. Although I don't think there is many of these kids old enough this year other than Walker and Bird (who we have already).

DST
:D

graemed
9th August 2007, 12:26 PM
Have included the current scholarship holders in NSW from AFL teams.

ugg
9th August 2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks for that. However, I don't think that list is complete. I know Ranga Ediriwickrama is at Geelong and there a few others that I can't recall off the top of my head.

graemed
9th August 2007, 01:26 PM
The list I posted was for 2007 scholarships this years list is incomplete but I can send a current list of 2008 scholarships if you wish. Please note that this year the AFL recinded the mandatory nature of the scholarships and consequently many clubs have not contracted players.

liz
9th August 2007, 02:52 PM
Although I don't think there is many of these kids old enough this year other than Walker and Bird (who we have already).

DST

There are a few more eligible this year- Graeme's list confirms that.

Davies (Essendon), Wilsen (North), Wilson and Long (Freo), Haretuku (Saints), Stubb and Davis (Eagles), Linsen (Power), O'Connor (Brisbane).

Most of those are just names to me but do recall noticing some decent stuff from either Davis or Davies (can't recall which it was) in the NSW vs NT game at Telstra a few weeks back. And I think Wilson was one of two rucks for the NSW U18 team who provided a dominant combo throughout the championships.

DST
9th August 2007, 03:24 PM
There are a few more eligible this year- Graeme's list confirms that.

Davies (Essendon), Wilsen (North), Wilson and Long (Freo), Haretuku (Saints), Stubb and Davis (Eagles), Linsen (Power), O'Connor (Brisbane).

Most of those are just names to me but do recall noticing some decent stuff from either Davis or Davies (can't recall which it was) in the NSW vs NT game at Telstra a few weeks back. And I think Wilson was one of two rucks for the NSW U18 team who provided a dominant combo throughout the championships.

Will be very interesting to see how many of the first batch actually get listed.

We are also in a very good position as some of these players would probably fall to a rookie spot with the club they are tied to if the club does not beleive they warrant (at this stage) selection on the senior list.

In that situation will then have first dib's on the three of them for the rookie list, which should help in regards to talent identification for us (we can't cover everywhere in the state) and sorting out the kids who have a better chance of going on.

DST

Nico
9th August 2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks for that. However, I don't think that list is complete. I know Ranga Ediriwickrama is at Geelong and there a few others that I can't recall off the top of my head.

A Sri Lankan, that would have to be a first.

graemed
9th August 2007, 04:40 PM

... And I think Wilson was one of two rucks for the NSW U18 team who provided a dominant combo throughout the championships.

Max Wilson is a very strong candidate he was eagerly sought after by many clubs last year and continued to play play at club level, Freo were very happy to secure him and are eager for him to travel to their training camps this year during his holidays.

A number of other strong contenders will be on show in coming weeks during the Spring Competition for Independent schools starting next week.

google
13th August 2007, 09:10 PM
yeh the swans recruters would hve a fair idea on who they r gunna pick up at this stage!!

Bloody Hell
14th August 2007, 09:06 AM
Don't want to be racist, or anti-racist or however these things are judged these days - but who is the next aboriginal layer on our list?

We do play yearly for the Marn Grook (whatever) Trophy for aboriginal players in our game...what happens if the swans don't have any?

I would imagine it would be easier to bring players into the club while players of the calibre of Micky O and Goodes are at the club...so why isn't there any effort???...These guys won't be around forevever.

Are the Swans the next Geelong?

google
14th August 2007, 12:16 PM
Tony Armstrong!!!!
rookie list chance, from sthrn NSW but skool at Assumption in Melbourne and on the Calder Cannons List!!
young Koori boy who may jus well get on the list!

Industrial Fan
14th August 2007, 12:21 PM
who is the next aboriginal layer on our list?What are you trying to say exactly?

Is this about me?!?

pocketrocket
14th August 2007, 11:04 PM
i reckon there is storng showing from some of the young lads in the comp thsi year, especially stubbs. tall, athletic and has the smarts.:)