PDA

View Full Version : Reserves - Grand Final

ItsAllGoodes
17th September 2007, 10:27 AM
Anyone know the result of the Prelim on Saturday to decide who our Reserves will be playing next weekend?

liz
17th September 2007, 10:33 AM
Apparently the Tigers beat the Pies. So t'will be Queanbeyan.

swans song
17th September 2007, 10:42 AM
Preliminary Final
9.15-69 BELCONNEN MAGPIES 2:00 PM
Sat 15/Sep

Manuka Oval
def. by
20.15-135 QUEANBEYAN TIGERS
BELCONNEN MAGPIES
Goal Kickers: J. JENNINGS 2, B. WESTON 2, L. JEFFREY 2, C. ILETT, A. AINGER, R. TURNBULL
Best Players: P RAADTS; L RHODES; S MAHAR; J BENNETT;
QUEANBEYAN TIGERS
Goal Kickers: J. KAVANAGH 6, M. ARMSTRONG 3, P. WILLIAMS 2, R. IOPPI 2, A. LIESCHKE 2, M. LIDDLE 2, P. FRANCHI, M. DANIHER, B. DANIHER
Best Players: J KAVANAGH; R IOPPI; D JAQUES; R JAQUES; M POWELL

ScottH
17th September 2007, 10:47 AM
M POWELLWouldn't be Mark would it?

ItsAllGoodes
17th September 2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks folks...result must have only just gone up on sportingpulse as I have been checking regularly

And yes i am pretty sure that the Powell who plays for Queanbeyan is one of the formerly much-maligned 'favourites' of RWO

ugg
17th September 2007, 10:57 AM
Wouldn't be Mark would it?
Yes the one and the same.

Wow, that is a huge upset by Queanbeyan, especially by that kind of margin. But I don't think they'll even come close to the Reserves, Belconnen had a much better chance of toppling us.

ROK Lobster
17th September 2007, 12:00 PM
Yes the one and the same.

Wow, that is a huge upset by Queanbeyan, especially by that kind of margin. But I don't think they'll even come close to the Reserves, Belconnen had a much better chance of toppling us.Queanbeyan are almost a completely different side to what they were last year, and were also hampered by injury early on. The side are starting to gel and I think are a better side than Belco.

The tragedy of this is that it is an all NSW grand final in the ACT league :eek:

ugg
17th September 2007, 12:02 PM
The tragedy of this is that it is an all NSW grand final in the ACT league :eek:

Does that mean you'll be boycotting it? ;)

Damien
17th September 2007, 05:25 PM
When is the grand final? Sunday I presume to allow for the two AFL finals to finish?

Jeffers1984
17th September 2007, 05:31 PM
When is the grand final? Sunday I presume to allow for the two AFL finals to finish?

Win the grand final Sunday, delisted on Monday.

The Boot
17th September 2007, 07:16 PM
so ummm ... does ANYONE actually know when and where? I would think Manuka oval, at 2pm?
:confused:

mcs
17th September 2007, 07:38 PM
Manuka at 2.30pm I believe. I will head along and check it out I think- see if any of the young blokes look alright or if they are all rubbish lol

ItsAllGoodes
17th September 2007, 08:40 PM
According to sportingpulse its Saturday 2pm, venue still to be announced...99.99999% Manuka

swans song
17th September 2007, 09:17 PM
2pm Sunday Manuku
I read it somewhere

Robbo
17th September 2007, 09:53 PM
Will be an absolute drubbing.

Missy
17th September 2007, 10:50 PM
Tips for BOG? Bevo won it last year...

j s
17th September 2007, 10:53 PM
It won't be a full strength team fielded! A number of the "senior" reserves have been told to start their end of year break last week so they can return to start training when the seniors do.

It's probably a fair assumption that those who don't play (and are not injured or ineligible) are safe from being delisted.

ugg
17th September 2007, 11:00 PM
Tips for BOG? Bevo won it last year...
Grundy if he plays forward. Otherwise Moore.

liz
17th September 2007, 11:05 PM
It won't be a full strength team fielded! A number of the "senior" reserves have been told to start their end of year break last week so they can return to start training when the seniors do.

It's probably a fair assumption that those who don't play (and are not injured or ineligible) are safe from being delisted.

Do you have any names? Seems a shame to spoil the culmination to the end of another dominant season and you wouldn't think a week or so will make that much difference to younger players with no injuries to recover from.

Laidlaw injured himself in the opening minutes of the QF so one assumes he'll be missing. Only players who obviously qualify as "senior" reserves are LRT and maybe Schmidt, Grundy at a pinch. Despite his last four weeks, I wouldn't have thought Barlow is there yet and if he's as naturally athletic as they tell us, an extra week or so of pre-season trading shouldn't make any difference to him at all.

Dempster is probably marginal as to whether he qualifies to play - not sure what the games minimum is. Very much doubt whether Bevan would have played enough.

Swannette
17th September 2007, 11:11 PM
My mate Lockie Prior is playing - a week after winning the premiership with North Shore. I feel like a proud parent without having endured the nappies!! Go Lockie!!!!

liz
17th September 2007, 11:15 PM
My mate Lockie Prior is playing - a week after winning the premiership with North Shore.

Undoubtedly deserved based on his performances with the team during the year. Has he been given any indication that he may be considered for a rookie spot next season?

Swannette
17th September 2007, 11:18 PM
No, not that I'm aware of Liz. I think 2009 is in his sights though.

ugg
21st September 2007, 01:07 PM
18 listed players named, but Jack, LRT and Moore in doubt.

http://aflcanberra.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=126501

satchmopugdog
21st September 2007, 01:49 PM
My mate Lockie Prior is playing - a week after winning the premiership with North Shore. I feel like a proud parent without having endured the nappies!! Go Lockie!!!!

My neighbour and I were talking about him yesterday morning on our walk, so I hope he goes well too. I commented on him being mentioned on this board and my neighbour said she was engaged/nearly maried as in wedding dress,flowers etc to Lochie's uncle. Whenever she meets Lochie's Grandmother in Launceston Mrs. Prior brings out the brag photos of Lochie in his Swan's gear. Tassie is a far reaching network. Go Lochie.

Robbo
21st September 2007, 05:02 PM
18 listed players named, but Jack, LRT and Moore in doubt.

http://aflcanberra.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=126501

That Loppi bloke is kidding himself.

He desperately needs to get a grip.

ScottH
21st September 2007, 05:10 PM
The Swans Reserves are focused on the AFL Canberra grand final

More... (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=7106&newsId=51476)

(This post was automatically generated from news items on www.sydneyswans.com.au )

dimelb
21st September 2007, 05:14 PM
The Swans Reserves are focused on the AFL Canberra grand final

More... (http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=7106&newsId=51476)
A few players "who will be good for next season's onslaught."
In the ones I hope.

goswannie14
22nd September 2007, 12:00 AM
That Loppi bloke is kidding himself.

He desperately needs to get a grip.What's he supposed to say, "We have no hope"?

Robbo
22nd September 2007, 11:39 AM
What's he supposed to say, "We have no hope"?

Yes, because that's the undeniable truth.

annew
22nd September 2007, 06:07 PM
Has this game finished and if so what was the final score?

Triple B
22nd September 2007, 06:50 PM
Has this game finished and if so what was the final score?

It's on tomorrow. :p

annew
22nd September 2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks

Claret
23rd September 2007, 05:29 PM
Updates?

EMJ
23rd September 2007, 06:03 PM
Reserves won 122 to 94. Just heard by phone.
Don't have any information re game till later.

ugg
23rd September 2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks Mac. I heard they had to use up to 9 top-ups (usual number is 4) so that's a pretty good victory.

ItsAllGoodes
23rd September 2007, 07:19 PM
Sydney 18.14-122
Queanbeyan 14.10-94

SYDNEY SWANS
Goal Kickers: H GRUNDY 3; C BIRD 3; L BREUST 2; A MONK 2; J SIMKIN 2; L VOGELS 2; M BECKMANS 1; M DAVIS 1; M O''DWYER 1; B WOODS 1;
Best Players: N SMITH; R BRABAZON; M O''DWYER; E BARLOW; C BIRD; L BREUST

QUEANBEYAN TIGERS
Goal Kickers: J KANANAGH 5; M ARMSTRONG 4; S DICKERSON 1; N IRWIN 1; R JAQUES 1; A LIESCHKE 1; P WILLIAMS 1;
Best Players: J KAVANAGH; M DANIHER; S DICKERSON; M ARMSTRONG; M POWELL; R IOPPI;

ItsAllGoodes
23rd September 2007, 07:21 PM
Quarter by Quarter

SYDNEY SWANS 6.1, 12.5, 16. 8, 18.14-122
QUEANBEYAN TIGERS 3.1, 6.3, 13.6, 14.10-94

Scores from sportingpulse.com.au

ItsAllGoodes
23rd September 2007, 07:23 PM
And Swans website

http://sydneyswans.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/7106/Default.aspx?newsId=51602

mcs
23rd September 2007, 07:46 PM
Went to the game and really enjoyed it today. We looked in control for most of the day but the tigers fought hard. The Umpires were so tough on HTB as well- there was one incident where the Swans player got pinged before the Tigers player had even managed to lay the tackle properly yet.
Out of the Swans team:
Grundy- looked very good up forward but lost when he went back a couple of times. Did well on the lead and generally did some good stuff.
Vogels- I feel he knows already he is going to be delisted. Was poor today and even though he kicked a couple of goals didnt really do a lot. Kicking generally was poor as well.
Barlow- looked a bit tired if anything but still did some very good things and looks to have very good potential for the future.
Other players to impress me were M O'Dwyer and M Davis- both did plenty of good things and O'Dwyer especially showed a bit of run. Brabazon did well in patches and so did Simkin. Thornton did a lot of good things and Id like to see him get his chance next year in the top grade. N Smith also did some good stuff around the ground and Earl Shaw did alright in the ruck division till he did his hammy early in the last quarter.
Most enjoyable game of footy I must say, we never looked seriously threatened. Roosy seemed to enjoy it (was sitting a couple of rows behind me), but seemed a bit bewildered at some of the umpiring as many there were.
Just a question that someone that sees the reserves more often might be able to answer- has Phillips dyed his hair brown or was it someone else playing in his number today? If it was him, I was very disappointed in what he did and wouldnt be suprised if he has been told that the exit door awaits as well.

ugg
23rd September 2007, 07:53 PM
According to a poster on BF, who seems to have some contacts within the reserves, Phillips didn't play.

Bas
23rd September 2007, 10:20 PM
A little birdy told me that a C Bird will be on the list next year forrrrr surrrreeee!!!!!! There will be 8 vacancies created from the current list. Start guessing!

NMWBloods
23rd September 2007, 11:03 PM
Hopefully Mathews, Crouch, J Bolton, Barry, Bevan... meh - wishful thinking...

Robbo
23rd September 2007, 11:26 PM
Jesus Christ there are gunna be a few tough decisions made when we have to delist a few.

The fact that so many of our younger guys haven't had a look in makes it worse.

liz
23rd September 2007, 11:40 PM
What a terrific game. Tightly contested, and after a strong fightback from the Tigers in the third quarter (they kicked 7 goals to 4 following a 12 goal to 6 first half to the Swans), the contest was still alive at 3/4 time.

There were just 12 Swans listed players and 10 top-ups. I've just written some comments re the top-ups on the other thread so I won't repeat them. Phillips and Laidlaw watched from the interchange bench, while I suspect Jack might have been up in the coaching box because he looked to be shadowing Allison at most of the changes. DOK was also at the game.

Brabazon won the Jesulanko medal for BOG and deservedly so. The Tigers seemed to be targeting him with some hard (and late and unfair) hits early in the game but he was still running strong at the end of the game. Gots heaps of the ball, butchered some of it, but was pretty handy all around.

One thing I saw from him today that I've not really noticed before is that he was very clean off the ground, sometimes able to pick the ball up while in full stride and run away with it. I've said before that I've yet to be convinced that what he has will translate to AFL style footy and I'm still kinda the same. But this could be one thing that gives him a chance of taking that step, especially when you consider that four of our current core mids (Mathews, Fosdike, Bolton and Crouch) are fumble kings - and it robs them of using any pace they do have.

The other player who really really really impressed me today was Jesse White. I know some have him pencilled in as our next great hope at CHF but based on today's performance, he could well be an answer at FB or CHB. One of Queanbeyan's strengths is some very tall, strong marking forwards and they posed a threat all afternoon. But after a while they seemed to just stop trying to play through whoever White was on at the time. He didn't take any sensational marks but his spoiling was nigh on perfect - fantastic timing, not even a hint of using his hands in the back of an opponent, and great judgement. He also took most of the kick-ins (not that there were many) and distributed the ball well. The Swans may well have won had Brabazon or Barlow not played, but I have little doubt they'd have been beaten had White not been out there.

Barlow was a bit mixed - there was quite a lot of Goodsey in his game today - not necessarily the good bits. Athletically he was clearly a stand-out, popping up all over the ground. And many a time he was in a multi-body contest and came away with the ball, making you wonder how he'd managed to do it. But he also turned over the ball a bit (his disposal against Brisbane and Hawthorn was much better). And the thing that most had me thinking about Goodes was that he looked like he thought he needed to win the game on his own at times - something I think might have been part of Goodes' problem in the first half of both his post-Brownlow years.

Grundy was decent, Vogels took some nice marks but faded later in the game, Thorton was pretty good, and Bird was quite effective at centre bounces and kicked 3 goals. Rowe was beaten quite convincingly in defence and looked much slower than usual. He had some major padding around one thigh and it looked as if he hadn't recovered from the corky he suffered a few weeks ago. I fear his time might be up but I really hope not because I love his normal no-frills style of footy.

Luke Bruest - mark this name down for the future. He's been a regular this year, particularly in the Canberra games, and he was terrific out there today. His balance and some of his second, third and fourth efforts put a couple of the senior players to shame. I read the other day that he's just been awarded a Mike Fitzpatrick scholarship, which indicates his promise is recognised by the AFL elite talent seekers. I presume he's from the Canberra area, making him ineligible for a AFL NSW apprenticeship.

Some of the other top ups looked a little out of their depth - and with their being 10 of them and quite a lot of big, mature and aggressive bodies playing for the Tigers, that did have an impact on the Swans' performance. But a few of them made valuable contributions - especially Monk, Begans (sp?) and Woods (who was the dark haired "Phillips" but who did reasonably well for a top up, I thought).

mcs
24th September 2007, 01:36 AM
that explains the dark haired Phillips then! Ive only been to a couple of reserves games this year so didnt quite have the knowledge about them. That Bruest did also impress me I must say he did a damn lot of good things and really looks to have good potential.

The Boot
24th September 2007, 11:04 AM
Lockie Prior was in Kieran Jack's jumper #48. He's a "solid" lad and was getting a right sledging while playing up forward from the 'booners' at the southern goal end. You can imagine the sorts of comments. Earlier in the match he copped a big hit and was probably running out that injury for most of the game.

Oh, and the trailer trash? I leant in and pointed up to the Jack Singleton saying simply "scoreboard."

stellation
24th September 2007, 11:52 AM
The other player who really really really impressed me today was Jesse White. I know some have him pencilled in as our next great hope at CHF but based on today's performance, he could well be an answer at FB or CHB. One of Queanbeyan's strengths is some very tall, strong marking forwards and they posed a threat all afternoon. But after a while they seemed to just stop trying to play through whoever White was on at the time. He didn't take any sensational marks but his spoiling was nigh on perfect - fantastic timing, not even a hint of using his hands in the back of an opponent, and great judgement. He also took most of the kick-ins (not that there were many) and distributed the ball well. The Swans may well have won had Brabazon or Barlow not played, but I have little doubt they'd have been beaten had White not been out there.
Great to hear Liz, I'm very excited about Jesse's potential. Big big body, extremely athletic, very good skills for someone his size... and really seems to LOVE playing, which I think it the part I like about him the best. I agree with him possibly being a future option at one of the key defensive positions, aerobic capacity aside I think he is just about ahead of LRT already as a potential key defender.

That said, give him a key position anywhere- I just want to see him play in the seniors. Very likeable kid that I think could be a big, big star.

mcs
24th September 2007, 12:00 PM
that Lockie Prior really is a solid lad that is for sure... first time I saw him and looked at the programme i thought- gee Kieran Jack has been to KFC with Nick Davis or something! But then realized it wasnt him and was most relieved lol ;)

tigertank07
24th September 2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the report Liz. Very interested to know a little more about how Aaron Monk went. He is one of our boys from the Gosford Tigers, and we rate him very highly. For such a young player, he dominates games in the Black Diamond League, and we are glad he is starting to see some reward for his hard work.

dimelb
24th September 2007, 09:29 PM
Thank you Liz, and ORB and all the others who have brought us news of the twos this season. I not only never see them but never have a chance to, and I appreciate having a chance to see them through others' eyes.

goswannie14
24th September 2007, 09:32 PM
Thank you Liz, and ORB and all the others who have brought us news of the twos this season. I not only never see them but never have a chance to, and I appreciate having a chance to see them through others' eyes.
I'd like to second that!:D