PDA

View Full Version : My Best 22

robbieando
10th February 2003, 04:17 PM
Right here is my thoughts on what our best Line up is.

F: O'Keefe Hall O'Loughlin
HF: Davis Goodes Fosdike
C: Maxfield Williams Kennelly
HB: Nicks Roberts-Thompson Fixter
B: Barry Schauble Saddington
Fol: Doyle Cresswell Crouch
Int: Stevens Ball C.Bolton J.Bolton
Emg: Sundqvist Seymour Mathews

No room for Buchanan and Ablett but I think they should push hard early on for a senior spot. Schneider and McVeigh should get a chance late in the season and Dempster, Hunt and Powell could as well if things go there way early on and have impressive form in the ACTAFL.

All in all I think this is a strong team and with any luck could do very well

Charlie
10th February 2003, 04:20 PM
I'm just about the same, although Mathews would push in ahead of LRT at least atm. Seymour, Warfe and McPherson might as well retire now, because they'll see very little AFL time this year.

Charlie

robbieando
10th February 2003, 04:25 PM
Mathews is a favouite of mine, I just don't think he really adds that much to our line up. LRT is a bit of a reach at CHB to start the year but I really think we should just play now. Best way to find out if he is up to this level. Seymour was a back up really in my side and should not really play unless his form is too great to not have him in the side or if injuries hit the defence.

snajik
10th February 2003, 04:54 PM
Pretty fair team Robbie. I'd put Ball in at centre half back however. We could use the extra height. I think LRT should earn his position just like everyone else. I'd also put Kirk in the best 22 ahead of Jude Bolton. Perhaps Nick Davis and Craig Bolton should earn their spots as well. I have a feeling McPherson will improve under Roos. He'll have to. I still think Frosty is the most penetrating kick in the side.

Charlie
10th February 2003, 05:25 PM
I'd also put Kirk in the best 22 ahead of Jude Bolton

Yeah... I'll give you that.

Perhaps Nick Davis and Craig Bolton should earn their spots as well.

Bolton.... just squeezes into the 22 at this stage. Nick, no. Most seem to think he's in our best half-dozen, so we need him in the firsts, not in Canberra.

For arguments sake, here's *my* starting pecking order...

1. Hall
2. Williams
3. Goodes
4. Saddington
5. Maxfield
6. Kennelly
7. Davis
8. Crouch
9. O'Loughlin
10. Fosdike
11. Cresswell
12. Doyle
13. Ball
14. Schauble
15. O'Keefe
16. Fixter
17. Nicks
18. Barry
19. Mathews
20. Stevens
21. Kirk
22. C. Bolton
23. J. Bolton
24. Sundqvist
25. Roberts-Thompson
26. McPherson
27. Buchanan
28. Seymour
29. Warfe
30. Ablett
31. Powell
32. Hunt
33. Schnieder
34. McVeigh
35. Dempster
36. Thewlis
37. Malceski

It doesn't mean much... but that's just the way I see it.

robbieando
10th February 2003, 06:08 PM
Jason Ball is not a Backman and as such should not be put at CHB just because he is tall. Has never played down there and is a forward who became a ruckman. If LRT has to earn his spot then why shouldn't Ball after all he has missed the last year.

Risks have to be taken and playing LRT is one I feel we should take.

Grant
10th February 2003, 06:17 PM
I'm with Robbie on this one,Ball is definately no backman.At least the five years(or whatever it is) that LRT has been playing the game,he has brought up as a backman.There is no better way for him to learn than to be thrown a line now and see how he goes,well worth a risk IMHO.

Rod_
10th February 2003, 09:49 PM
Warfe, Braddles and Frosty are Roos perfered players. (or they would have gone in the cleanout)

So they will be included in a start up side "as a do or die"

Q. Were they supressed by our other player that have retired?

I hope they do well, however the youth policy will ge needed to get through the full year. :D

Youth is the future! Give them a go!

Blood the lot of them and let the cream float to the top!

Rod_

Cheer Cheer
10th February 2003, 09:49 PM
This is the year for rebuilding and trying things and the young guys need to be thrown in at some stage, especially like LRT to fill positions that need to be filled desperatly ie - FB
We need to find out sooner rather than later

penga
10th February 2003, 09:59 PM
charlie i like your idea of putting the players in order of importance to you, so i will concur with your list except i'd swap kennelly with doyle, dont get me wrong tadhg is my favourite player in the club however i think doyle will split some sides wide open a little earlier than what kennelly will... give TK one more year and he should be an absolute gun!

Rizzo
11th February 2003, 02:43 PM
If Ball is fit, you have to have him as ruckman and rotate him forward. I think a ruckman/forward interchange with Doyle would work very well.

I haven't seen LRT play yet so I don't see him as a starter.

Fixter works on the half back line but you would match him up with a smaller forward or set him as a midfield tagger.

Mathews is a favoured HB and Midfield player. Needs to have is radar on full time as some of the options he took last year were dodgy. He appears on and off the boil to me.

I expect that we will see a bit of C. Bolton in the preseason and if he goes well may be a starter.

Here's hoping Stevens breaks into the first 22.

snajik
12th February 2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by robbieando
Jason Ball is not a Backman and as such should not be put at CHB just because he is tall. Has never played down there and is a forward who became a ruckman. If LRT has to earn his spot then why shouldn't Ball after all he has missed the last year.

Risks have to be taken and playing LRT is one I feel we should take.
CHB and CHF are similar positions, and historically has been a fairly common transition. A CHF will have a good understanding of the role of the CHB being his direct opponent.

We will lack height down back this season and it is a concern. We may have trouble containing the taller forward lines of teams such as Richmond, Hawthorn and Essendon. Perhaps a horses for courses approach to these sides.

Giving an untried player a key position role is fraught with danger. There's a fine line between taking a risk and shattering a young player's confidence. I don't think LRT needs to be thrown to the wolves just yet.

Ajn
13th February 2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
I'm just about the same, although Mathews would push in ahead of LRT at least atm. Seymour, Warfe and McPherson might as well retire now, because they'll see very little AFL time this year.

Charlie
Let's hope the swans see it the same way