PDA

View Full Version : More crap from afl.com.au

robbieando
11th February 2003, 07:09 PM
Article Here (http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=opinion&spg=display&articleid=73079)

Is this a joke or something????? Once again this proves why I hardly go near afl.com.au anymore. This guy is a bloodly joke.

omnipotent
11th February 2003, 07:25 PM
I actually think he makes a fair point. Maxfield might be respected but is not a long term solution. I don't know if MOL is captaincy material but I would prefer to groom someone for the future. As for Bolton being a future captain, I don't even rate him as a player. I can't imagine Crouch as a captain either, though I rate Matthews.

desredandwhite
11th February 2003, 07:33 PM
Well, Maxfield IS a short-term solution. I don't recall the club or anyone ever denying that - he will only play another 2-3 years at most, I'd say. I don't know exactly why Paul Gough is pushing Micky O as the other man most likely though, I would have gone with Adam Goodes or Jason Saddington.

Still, you know what they say about opinions.

robbieando
11th February 2003, 07:35 PM
I see Crouch, Saddington, Fixter and Goodes as future captains. I think we will see the next captain named as a Vice to see how they handle the job.

CureTheSane
11th February 2003, 09:14 PM
Yes, a new longer term captain can be groomed whilst Maxfield is holding down the job.

floppinab
12th February 2003, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with his opinion on MOL but that said I can understand his point and can't really write it off as a "bloody joke".

IMO MOL does not have the on or off field character to make captaincy material and he never will be.

Rather than making him captain you could always give him an on or off field key role that might bring a better performance on the field.

snajik
12th February 2003, 11:38 AM
Apart from the reference to Jude Bolton, I agree entirely with this article and said something similar in a thread that went around pre-xmas. There's no doubting that Maxfield won't be a great captain and is also deserving of it, but due to his age it's a lame decision.

TheMase
12th February 2003, 11:52 AM
I do think the article is bloody stupid.

You should never use something as important as the captaincy to try and re-ignite someone's career.

Jimmy C
12th February 2003, 12:07 PM
Opinions are like buttholes-everybody's got one.

CARNA BLOODS!

snajik
12th February 2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy C
Opinions are like buttholes-everybody's got one.

CARNA BLOODS!
Apart from Collingwood supporters. They just let Eddie do all of their thinking for them.

floppinab
12th February 2003, 01:41 PM
Riiiigghhhtt.

That would explain why they have so much @@@@@ pouring out of their mouths :D

Rizzo
12th February 2003, 03:31 PM
He makes an interesting point. Did Micky go stale under Eade? Does he need new challenges? I certainly believe the pressure of expectation is on him this year.

Come on Michael, show us what your made of!

Grant
12th February 2003, 04:18 PM
He was very stale under Eade IMHO.He showed in that last 10 games under Roos(as did quite a few players)that he is still an asset and has talent to burn.

This season now is his big challenge,no excuses.The captaincy is not a thing for MOL let his ability do the talking,thats what we need more.

For what its worth i think the next captain will come from either Goodes or Fixter.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Charlie
12th February 2003, 04:27 PM
With his size and ability, there's really no excuse for Mick to average less than two goals a game. It doesn't matter that Bazza keeps getting the feed, if Micky can't convert 1 chance per half, he's not doing his job.

Charlie

penga
12th February 2003, 05:40 PM
id really like to see him be rotated thru the mildfield with ND... i love seeing magic when he is in the thick of things and able to show his flare when he isnt anywhere near the goals. id like to see goodes in the midfield as well, they would be a lethal combo!

Jimmy C
12th February 2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by penga
id really like to see him be rotated thru the mildfield with ND

Spot on! I love seeing Magic in the midfield too. He is under-utilised in this part of the field.

CARNA BLOODS!

Skells
13th February 2003, 10:46 AM
I have read somewhere a couple of years ago that MOL actually prefers the midfield to the Forward line.

treespirit
13th February 2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by snajik
Apart from Collingwood supporters. They just let Eddie do all of their thinking for them.

Some would say Colliwobble supporters have 2 buttholes.

Ajn
13th February 2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by treespirit
Some would say Colliwobble supporters have 2 buttholes.
Agreed , they need two to do all their talking