PDA

View Full Version : posting articles from other sites - clarification

desredandwhite
11th February 2003, 07:47 PM
Just thought I'd post briefly on this subject, as there might be some confusion over it.... When you are posting articles from another site, whether that is afl.com.au, or smh.com.au, or wherever... Our preference is that you:

a) Post the full text of the article, or the relevant section of the article that applies to your post, AND
b) Credit the author and source of the original article, AND
c) Post the URL of the article in question.

It doesn't take much effort to do all the 3 things above. To clarify, I'm going to try to explain WHY I think this is a good idea.

a) Posting the text of the article in this forum allows readers to read the article in question without having to leave RWO - it is also more useful to have the text of the article here when discussing it.
b) Crediting the author and original website ensures their work is acknowledged.
c) Posting the URL allows those who are interested to click through to the external site to see the original article in its intended context, with appropriate links, pictures etc. Also, if the content belongs to another site, they deserve the page-views generated by their article.

Now, I'll state again that this is just our PREFERENCE - I'm not going to chuck people out for not doing it (might post a gentle reminder here and there but that's it) - but please try to remember the 3 things above, it's a courtesy to other RWO readers, and to the owners of the material.

liz
11th February 2003, 11:01 PM
A couple of days ago I noticed a post (sticky) on TBV which stated that the mods of that site have been threatened with closure by sites such as AFL if they continue to post full text (with or without a reference / URL). SUggestion was that it was fine to post the link, but not the whole article. I guess this relates to the number of click throughs the originating sites record.

Unless I got the wrong end of the stick, should we reconsider the above policy?

CureTheSane
11th February 2003, 11:10 PM
IMO, no.
Let's wait and see if they care about US posting stuff, and if they do, they'll ask us to change the way we are posting news.

desredandwhite
11th February 2003, 11:15 PM
Well, I was prepared to give the benefit of the doubt to people posting the full text, as I wasn't 100% on the ruling surrounding that.

At the moment, I'd still say go with the guidelines above, but if I get contacted by any other 3rd parties, we'll revert to an amended guideline - ie: you post a link, and the opening 2-3 paragraphs of the article, with credits. That way no one can complain. People have the option of clicking through if they feel the rest of the article is interesting enough to read. I will probably personally use this method when posting other articles.

Ajn
13th February 2003, 08:24 PM
Be hardline, it takes up valuable scrolling speed