PDA

View Full Version : Player Movements

The Insider
3rd April 2008, 05:10 PM
Has anyone noticed that there is an excess of player movements this year? I realise there is inevitably going to be some changes, but it seems that there are more than normal this year.

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Norris Lurker
3rd April 2008, 06:42 PM
Our league's always had a very high turnover rate, but this season's certainly got a lot of changes.
Half the Premier Division clubs have changed coaches, and quite a few players have moved with their coaches. Plus there's the inevitable drift of players going to try their luck in the VFL or SANFL, which seems to be increasing, with those players often returning a few years later.

Players change clubs for all sorts of reasons - wanting to play with a mate, having moved or changed jobs and looking for a club closer to home or work (especially with petrol now so expensive), a good sales pitch from a coach, wanting to go where they would be more likely to play seniors or in their favourite position, and all sorts of other factors.

burley
3rd April 2008, 09:40 PM
You missed out the main factor which is CASH. 99% of anyone I played with that left the club to move internally within the Sydney Competition moved due to money. Good for individuals I suppose if they are only concerned about their bank balance, bad for Clubs & the Sydney Competiton.

The Insider
3rd April 2008, 10:43 PM
I never understand why players move from one Sydney club to another for money. For most, the money being offered would not even cover petrol expenses.

On a similar note, Balmain appear to be blindly offering a lot of money to anyone even considering going to the Dockers. Surely, their pockets are not deep enough to pay players just out of Under-18s or ex-first division players.

Norris Lurker
4th April 2008, 08:30 AM
I never understand why players move from one Sydney club to another for money. For most, the money being offered would not even cover petrol expenses. I've often thought the same. If someone's offered an extra $100 a week to play for a club in the other side of town, they'd have to knock off work an hour earlier twice a week and do a lot of driving through peak hour traffic to get there for training; the loss of pay at work and extra petrol would wipe out the extra money being offered.
More dollars than sense in some cases.

Monty Burns2
4th April 2008, 08:49 AM
I've often thought the same. If someone's offered an extra $100 a week to play for a club in the other side of town, they'd have to knock off work an hour earlier twice a week and do a lot of driving through peak hour traffic to get there for training; the loss of pay at work and extra petrol would wipe out the extra money being offered.
More dollars than sense in some cases.

I reckon that there are many legitimate reasons to change clubs, such as:
- a new coach that you don't get along with
- following your preferred coach to a new club
- you move and wish to play at a closer club
- gain a scholarship at a uni club.

All of which are totally understandable. But I think the majority of players change clubs for a couple of extra bucks simply for their ego. They like to be able to tell their mates/work colleagues/mums that they are getting $200 or so a game to play.

But, at the end of a day, if someone wants to change clubs, so be it. The club losing the player should not lose too much sleep over it. More than likely they're not the types that put back into the club, so good riddance. Go and be a drain on the next club.

Pace To Burn
4th April 2008, 10:52 AM
I reckon that there are many legitimate reasons to change clubs, such as:
- a new coach that you don't get along with
- following your preferred coach to a new club
- you move and wish to play at a closer club
- gain a scholarship at a uni club.

All of which are totally understandable. But I think the majority of players change clubs for a couple of extra bucks simply for their ego. They like to be able to tell their mates/work colleagues/mums that they are getting $200 or so a game to play.

But, at the end of a day, if someone wants to change clubs, so be it. The club losing the player should not lose too much sleep over it. More than likely they're not the types that put back into the club, so good riddance. Go and be a drain on the next club.

HERE HERE

Key Forward
9th April 2008, 10:37 PM
The great thing about footy is that changing clubs isn't always the best thing for the individual as seen on the weekend. I guess only time will tell?

Pace To Burn
10th April 2008, 12:26 PM
The great thing about footy is that changing clubs isn't always the best thing for the individual as seen on the weekend. I guess only time will tell?

Who are you refering to there KF? I guess it depends what you want from your change doesn't it?