PDA

View Full Version : Tadhg going, going, STAYING.

Wardy
4th April 2008, 08:16 AM
We all knew it would happen eventually - Well on the 5am news this morning it was announced that Tadgh has confirmed he will be going back home to Ireland at the end of next year.

stellation
4th April 2008, 08:20 AM
I have to admit in the back of my mind I've always thought "ahhhh, he'll plan to leave about the time Hall leaves and they'll just use the salary cap room to throw a $1 million/2 year contract at him", but increasingly it seems like his mind is just made up on it.

ScottH
4th April 2008, 08:24 AM
Sad, but not unexpected.

This means he has 2 chances to take another Premiership medal back to Ireland. So get your finger out son!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeffers1984
4th April 2008, 08:25 AM
2009 will be an emotional year.

Hally, Magic (hope he makes it to one more year), Leo, Roos (?) and Kennelly all in their final years with the club most likely.

Kirk will play till he's 40.

Donners
4th April 2008, 08:52 AM
So if we assume Crouch, Mathews and Everitt go this year, that's one heck of a turnover with two new teams on the horizon...

hammo
4th April 2008, 08:54 AM
Not really news as such, as he's been saying this for a few years now.

Still, I don't see why he couldn't stay fit enough to be an elite player in Ireland into his early to mid 30s, therefore staying with the Swans for a few more years!

barry
4th April 2008, 09:50 AM
So if we assume Crouch, Mathews and Everitt go this year, that's one heck of a turnover with two new teams on the horizon...

Good point. I can see us going the big poach this summer, to get in before these new teams are established. The 3 you mention, plus a bit of a clean out to free cap room.

We need a Hall replacement. MOL could be expendable.

bedford
4th April 2008, 09:56 AM
tige states that he wants a flag for kerry,what about letting him go for a year,keeping him on the list the same as the dons did with tim watson

Lord Humungus
4th April 2008, 10:10 AM
tige states that he wants a flag for kerry,what about letting him go for a year,keeping him on the list the same as the dons did with tim watson

dont remember Timmy playin for kerry

bedford
4th April 2008, 10:51 AM
he didn't play for a season and they kept him on the list,sorry if my english isn't up to standard.
i can see why the grim reaper cracks it

Zlatorog
4th April 2008, 10:54 AM
I think he's very determined this time to return to Ireland for that elusive glory to win another premiership for Kerry. Maybe that is for the best, because it won't be a distraction any more since he's made his mind already.

cruiser
4th April 2008, 11:01 AM
Money is a very big persuader. I'm sure the Swans will dig into their coffers and make him what they hope will be an irresistable offer to stay.

undy
4th April 2008, 11:13 AM
he didn't play for a season and they kept him on the list,sorry if my english isn't up to standard.

Never mind Tim Watson - what about Plugger, retired then came back in the next millennium and broke the all-time goal scoring record. I think TK could come back after a few years playing the round-ball game.

JF_Bay22_SCG
4th April 2008, 11:20 AM
Money is a very big persuader. I'm sure the Swans will dig into their coffers and make him what they hope will be an irresistable offer to stay.

He could be subtely asking for more money to 'persuade him to stay'.:rolleyes:

As much as he may well want to go home, what would he do when he got back there? Work behind a bar in a pub or something?

He may well get back 'home' & realise that home has changed (especially since he has lost one of his parents as well)

Here's hoping he stays. But I'm kinda fatalistic in all this. If he goes home, we'll just have to move on. It would be a massive loss for us as a club, but that's life I guess. You have to treat him like a human being with feelings & wants.

JF

ScottH
4th April 2008, 11:22 AM

Oh, the optimism!!! ;)

goswannie14
4th April 2008, 12:48 PM
Good point. I can see us going the big poach this summer, to get in before these new teams are established. The 3 you mention, plus a bit of a clean out to free cap room.

We need a Hall replacement. MOL could be expendable.What about 1 Jonathan Brown, he's out of contracty at the end of this year?

Wardy
4th April 2008, 01:00 PM
What about 1 Jonathan Brown, he's out of contracty at the end of this year?

I wouldnt mind him in our colours!!!! Although I think Lethal might have other ideas.

ShockOfHair
4th April 2008, 01:22 PM

Not likely.

According to the Irish Mail, that impeccable source of AFL news, Tadgh is willingly giving up his lavish Bondi lifestyle to become an amateur again. It's un-Australian.

There's been a lively discussion on the Kerry GAA message boards about this for the past week, including a reference to a "half-back called goods" who plays alongside Kennelly.
Kerry GAA Forum - Tadgh kennelly Returns. (http://kerrygaa.proboards14.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1206309376&page=1#1206428045)

DST
4th April 2008, 01:39 PM

Problem is, Kennelly is not a key forward/defender or a ruckman so we just can't throw a huge wad of cash at him as he doesn't warrant being overpaid just to remain.

Kennelly has given the club fantastic service and repaid us in spades for the punt we took on him all those years ago, he is entilted to go back home if that is what he wants to do without the club putting undue pressure on him to stay.

DST
:D

4th April 2008, 01:42 PM
Tadgh stated 09 would be his last year when he signed his last contract.

Old news story , enjoy the ride while it lasts, we have been the winners here
watching a kid start right at the bottom and become one of the elite rebounders of the competition.

573v30
4th April 2008, 01:52 PM
Tadhg stated 09 would be his last year when he signed his last contract.

Old news story , enjoy the ride while it lasts, we have been the winners here
watching a kid start right at the bottom and become one of the elite rebounders of the competition.

If that's the case, hopefully he stays injury free and has a ripper of a farewell season.

hammo
4th April 2008, 01:54 PM
What about 1 Jonathan Brown, he's out of contracty at the end of this year?
Wishful thinking!

Pavlich could be a great target, although he signed for 3 years at the end of last season. Still, a couple more average seasons by Freo (possibly on the cards), he may decide to request a trade.

The other candidate is Adam Goodes. Roos has previously said that he sees Goodes playing out his career as a full forward.

dimelb
4th April 2008, 02:30 PM
Fine player, and a joy to watch (except when he kicks in, then it's heart-in-mouth time). The Age season guide called Goodes the silk department, but Tadhg provides a share of it too.

Industrial Fan
4th April 2008, 02:41 PM
poor mans Murphy.

goswannie14
4th April 2008, 03:41 PM
The other candidate is Adam Goodes. Roos has previously said that he sees Goodes playing out his career as a full forward.
Interesting you should say that. I thought he could be a brilliant FF/CHF from when he first started with us.

NMWBloods
4th April 2008, 03:45 PM
As disappointing as it will be to see Kennelly go, as he's been a fabulous player for the Swans, it makes little sense to throw heaps of cash at him. Running half back flankers are hardly rare.

goswannie14
4th April 2008, 03:46 PM
As disappointing as it will be to see Kennelly go, as he's been a fabulous player for the Swans, it makes little sense to throw heaps of cash at him. Running half back flankers are hardly rare.We have at least two others at the moment. Just got to get one of them back on the park.

j s
4th April 2008, 04:09 PM
he didn't play for a season and they kept him on the list
IMHO the AFL should allow "sabbatical" years after "x" years of service with such players being able to return directly to their club (no draft requirement).

Not just for Tadhg but would the AFL really want him to be lost permanently to our game?

AnnieH
4th April 2008, 05:19 PM
How time flies. He only seemed like yesterday when he said he was going to finish at the end of 2009 - and, at the time, it seemed "so far away".

Oh well, we're only into Round 3 2008 ... that's at least another 48+ games (should be stay fit and we make finals).

Triple B
4th April 2008, 05:32 PM
Somebody mentioned it a few weeks ago (Liz?) that the best chance we have of keeping Tadhg is if Brendon Murphy comes good and Tadhg, as his mentor, decides to stay and play a season or two with him.

From what I saw in the 2's on Sunday, Murphy is a moral to make it. A more outstanding debut I can barely remember.

Fingers crossed.

Triple B
4th April 2008, 05:35 PM

Oi, bedford, lighten up, that was quite funny :p :p

I'm sure LH was taking the piss, not seriously having a go at you.

liz
4th April 2008, 05:47 PM
Somebody mentioned it a few weeks ago (Liz?) that the best chance we have of keeping Tadhg is if Brendon Murphy comes good and Tadhg, as his mentor, decides to stay and play a season or two with him.

From what I saw in the 2's on Sunday, Murphy is a moral to make it. A more outstanding debut I can barely remember.

Fingers crossed.

He was actually better in his "real" debut, a couple of weeks earlier.:) But certainly there was plenty more to get excited about on Sunday arvo.

Triple B
4th April 2008, 05:53 PM
He was actually better in his "real" debut, a couple of weeks earlier.:)

Sorry, I should have said his debut against the school teachers, accountants and taxi drivers from Canberra. :p :p

bedford
4th April 2008, 05:55 PM
Oi, bedford, lighten up, that was quite funny :p :p

I'm sure LH was taking the piss, not seriously having a go at you.
i might have taking the piss as well mate,my english was crap.

reigning premier
4th April 2008, 06:00 PM
Traitor....

bedford
4th April 2008, 06:25 PM
Tige on 10 news
he says his gaelic footy return is only in his LONG term plans,so he won't be leaving in 2009

satchmopugdog
4th April 2008, 08:13 PM
Obviously didn't like being called "A poor man's Murphy".Pride is a funny thing.

Plugger46
4th April 2008, 08:14 PM
As disappointing as it will be to see Kennelly go, as he's been a fabulous player for the Swans, it makes little sense to throw heaps of cash at him. Running half back flankers are hardly rare.

Tend to agree. If it was a J.Brown or a Pavlich (players you can build sides around) then I would think differently.

desredandwhite
4th April 2008, 08:20 PM
If you told me in the year that we picked Tadhg up as a skinny international rookie that one day he would be a 100+ game premiership player... I'd have thought you were on some serious drugs! :) If he plays another few games, he'll crack 150+ as well.

I reckon he's paid back the punt we took on him several times over, and he doesn't owe us a thing. He'll go back when he's ready, and good luck to him.

thejones,s
4th April 2008, 08:22 PM
am so confused now................

is he going

or is he staying.........

bedford
4th April 2008, 08:24 PM

is he going

STAYING

thejones,s
4th April 2008, 08:28 PM
well thats two conflicting reports on the same day...

Must be IRISH

bedford
4th April 2008, 08:35 PM
well thats two conflicting reports on the same day...

Must be IRISH
no it came out of his own mouth on 10 news

ScottH
4th April 2008, 08:37 PM

is he going

Depends which day you ask.

BSA5
4th April 2008, 08:44 PM
Err, just putting this out there, but he hasn't said he'd go back at the end of 2009; he said he will EVENTUALLY go back to Ireland and play Gaelic football. To the best of my knowledge, he has never nominated the end of 2009 as the date for that. I think the only reason that year has come up is because that's when his current contract terminates. He has said the he will make a decision come the end of his contract, so I guess we'll see then. It's nothing to be too worried about though. Just those Irishmen getting overly excited.

ScottH
4th April 2008, 09:28 PM
Kennelly committed to Swans (http://sydneyswans.com.au/tabid/7106/default.aspx?newsid=57386)

Irishman's current priority is Sydney, and only Sydney

bedford
4th April 2008, 10:01 PM
why change the thread,it was tige saying he was staying.
now it is confused

ScottH
4th April 2008, 10:04 PM
Same topic.

bedford
4th April 2008, 10:43 PM
Same topic.
no its not it is now on the swans website,he is staying.
that is different to him going
the main thing is it's great news for the club

ScottH
4th April 2008, 11:13 PM
no its not it is now on the swans website,he is staying.
that is different to him going
the main thing is it's great news for the club

That's why the title changed. And it is great news.

hammo
5th April 2008, 10:12 AM
What part of
"I've clarified it already with the club. I'm signed with them for two years and that's when I will decide what I am going to do with my future." says he will be staying?

The way I read it, he has simply clarified that instead of definitely going he might be going.

NMWBloods
5th April 2008, 07:36 PM
Same. He's said nothing about what he's going to do after 2009.

shaun..
5th April 2008, 07:49 PM
I'll take as many years as we can get! Although, it would be great to see Kennelly and Murphy in the same side.

BSA5
6th April 2008, 05:39 PM
What part of says he will be staying?

The way I read it, he has simply clarified that instead of definitely going he might be going.

The original report said he would be going after 2008. We now know he will be staying until at least the end of 2009, which is all we ever knew.

CJK
6th April 2008, 08:59 PM
2007 called, it wants its news back

2000 also called and asked for that joke back