PDA

View Full Version : WANTED..... One traditional rival.....

reigning premier
4th April 2008, 05:37 PM
I mean this is a bit of a farce isn't it????

Is Brisbane truly a traditional rival of Sydney?? Or does this hark back to the days of Fitzroy and South Melbourne?? Or is this a matter of neither of us have a traditional rival so off you two go and play together...

Of late we've had a great rivalry with the Illegals.... Prior to that we had a bit of a thing with the Bush rats... Even A bit of a stoush with the Bummers if I remember correctly... But are we really rivals with Brisvegas???

Thoughts??

Triple B
4th April 2008, 05:41 PM
True rivals are probably subject to change thru the decades, but our obvious rival West Coast will always play rivalry round against the Shockers.

Damien
4th April 2008, 05:41 PM
We have some great rivalries, but unfortunately our major rivals have bigger rivals themselves! So we are stuck with Brisbane and an attempt to develop the QLD/NSW thing.

St Kilda and the Bulldogs certainly aren't major traditional rivals either!

573v30
4th April 2008, 05:44 PM
The whole round itself is a farce. There is a NSW/QLD rivalry in League (State of Origin) but that doesn't equate to an AFL rivalry.

The only traditional rivalry AFAIK is against the Saints. I'd rather have the Swans face them or the Eagles for rivalry round, not a rugby league based rivalry.

bedford
4th April 2008, 06:11 PM
our rivals for 80 years were st.scum,who were at the other end of albert park lake.
i believe this rivalry has continued with south going north with some great battles,including that then thug lockett knocking out caven,but the best was the 05 prelim..they still carn't get over it just have a look at BF

satchmopugdog
4th April 2008, 08:15 PM
our rivals for 80 years were st.scum,who were at the other end of albert park lake.
i believe this rivalry has continued with south going north with some great battles,including that then thug lockett knocking out caven,but the best was the 05 prelim..they still carn't get over it just have a look at BF

Agree. We have more rivalry with St.Kilda both as South Melbourne and Sydney than the Bulldogs do.

I still love watching that 05 game.."This is not how things were meant to be" Ha

How uninteresting is this Bulldogs/Saints game????no tension...no one on one contests. Have left the teley to make a cup of tea.

Plugger46
4th April 2008, 08:30 PM
From a traditional point of view we probably should be playing St.Kilda.

Most of the rivalries nowadays are media driven though.

BSA5
4th April 2008, 08:36 PM
There's a bit of a rivalry with the Lions. Not really traditional, but in the Lions' period of dominance (and since, as well), we've had the wood on them, not only at the SCG, but at the Gabba as well. There's a bit of something there. Not a whole lot, but enough to go on with, I suppose....

CureTheSane
4th April 2008, 09:10 PM
For me the most traditional rival for the Swans is Carlton.
The bloodbath etc and they always seemed to be close games out at Optus Oval (the ones I was at anyway)

Cher
4th April 2008, 10:04 PM
The bloodbath etc and they always seemed to be close games out at Optus Oval (the ones I was at anyway)

But in the days when it was called Princes Park I think we went for years without ever winning a game there.
Definitely St Kilda while at Junction Oval, wasn't there some kind of cup for the Lake in the 70's

cruiser
4th April 2008, 10:11 PM
This gets discussed every year. The supposed rivalry with Brisbane is contrived by the AFL. Anyone who has ever been to a game against Brisbane in Brisbane will know that the two teams and supporters are the best of enemies. As others have said here, the St Kilda scum are our true rival and I wish the AFL would treat it as such. The real problem then is who to have as Brisbane's rival - what can they possibly contrive between the Lions and the Dogs? The two former 'F' teams?.

CureTheSane
4th April 2008, 10:18 PM
I'm happy with the Lions.

More of a city rivalry.
Could just as easily be Sydney vs Melbourne.
And all the Swans Melbourne based supporters could support Melbourne for the day and we could all go to the game together and there could be lots of punch ups and stuff :)

I think the AFL is coming from a rugby POV - state of origin or whatever.
I really don't know much about that other stupid code except there is League and Union (I think)
Maybe they are 2 different games, or the same code played in two competitions.

Interest factor zero in that

reigning premier
4th April 2008, 10:25 PM

Haven't been to a games at OO for a while have you??? :)

573v30
4th April 2008, 10:28 PM
I really don't know much about that other stupid code except there is League and Union (I think)

That's what the AFL are trying to do, emulate NSW vs. QLD State of Origin into their code but it doesn't deliver much in terms of a rivalry.

League and Union are two Rugby codes with significant differences.

CureTheSane
4th April 2008, 10:40 PM
Haven't been to a games at OO for a while have you??? :)

I'm just going back to my recollections, and they are (rightly or wrongly) that there was always a fierce competition and a good game, even when the Swans were lingering down the bottom of the ladder and the Blue were doing well.

Probably lots of things make me feel as if they are our most traditional rivals - Barassi, Williams, David Rhys Jones, Minton-Connell etc

reigning premier
4th April 2008, 10:55 PM
I'm just going back to my recollections, and they are (rightly or wrongly) that there was always a fierce competition and a good game, even when the Swans were lingering down the bottom of the ladder and the Blue were doing well.

Probably lots of things make me feel as if they are our most traditional rivals - Barassi, Williams, David Rhys Jones, Minton-Connell etc

Well from my recollection, I think the Swans won the last 5 or so games at OO by considerable margins.... Then again it could be because I was surrounded by my friends who were stupid enough to be Carlton supporters... :D

bedford
4th April 2008, 10:58 PM
I'm happy with the Lions.

More of a city rivalry.
Could just as easily be Sydney vs Melbourne.
And all the Swans Melbourne based supporters could support Melbourne for the day and we could all go to the game together and there could be lots of punch ups and stuff :)

Interest factor zero in that
very strange post.barrack for melbourne,yes for a day and punch up swans fans.
and happy with the lions,have you been with cousins lately

blinddog
4th April 2008, 11:03 PM
as soon as the Gold Coast get their team it will be Bris/Gold Coast Roos and then we shall get the West Syd Demons and it wil be Syd v West Syd

reigning premier
4th April 2008, 11:05 PM
as soon as the Gold Coast get their team it will be Bris/Gold Coast Roos and then we shall get the West Syd Demons and it wil be Syd v West Syd

Joking aren't you???

Melbourne, despite being the worst perfrming team are in NO danger of being relocated whatsover.... That whole being called Melbourne has saved them oh so many times.....

CureTheSane
4th April 2008, 11:05 PM
very strange post.barrack for melbourne,yes for a day and punch up swans fans.
and happy with the lions,have you been with cousins lately

very strange person :)
It was a dig at the constant Melbourne Vs Sydney BS that happens here every so often.
I actually didn't think that it would happen.

I still bear a pretty big grudge against Gary Lyon.
Anyone remember when that Swans were down in the dumps and couldn't win against the little league and we played Melbourne, and EVERYONE expected us to lose and we played really really well and beat the Demons?
and then straight after the game Gary Lyon came out and said that they had played 'down to the Swans level'
And I was pissed off about the sore loser thing, but more pissed off that it wasn't true.
We took the game up to them, they played out of their skins and had a genuinely good victory.

bedford
4th April 2008, 11:29 PM
very strange person :)
It was a dig at the constant Melbourne Vs Sydney BS that happens here every so often.
I actually didn't think that it would happen.

I still bear a pretty big grudge against Gary Lyon.
Anyone remember when that Swans were down in the dumps and couldn't win against the little league and we played Melbourne, and EVERYONE expected us to lose and we played really really well and beat the Demons?
and then straight after the game Gary Lyon came out and said that they had played 'down to the Swans level'
And I was pissed off about the sore loser thing, but more pissed off that it wasn't true.
We took the game up to them, they played out of their skins and had a genuinely good victory.
fair enough,i remember him not coping with us winning the flag

Triple B
5th April 2008, 07:26 AM

Minton-Connell ????

elroy67
5th April 2008, 09:29 AM
Minton-Connell ????

He used to own a pub in carlton.