PDA

View Full Version : potential targets...

penga
12th February 2003, 06:40 PM
considering we have quite a large space in our salary cap which could cover potentially 2-3 stars who would you want to see the swans try and bait?

for me it would be between (from each club), no particular order:

- Nathan G. Brown (WB): He absolutely rips us apart and is a very skilful midfielder who obviously can kick goals coming in at no 4 in the goalkicking tally with 57, still young at 25

-Matthew Pavlich(FD): KPP who can play both ends with a huge future being only 22

-Mal Michael(BL): One of the better FB's getting around, would plug our hole very well, turning 26 this season would be extrmely handy

-Travis Johnstone(MD): i really really like this guy, turning 23 this season, has not been a standout due to injury, destined to be a premier midfielder

-Andrew McLeod(AC): dont have to explain, he is turning 27 this season however

cant be bothered explaining the rest:

Jason Cloke(CM)
Scott Lucas(EB) can somebody please explain to me how we didnt trade for him 2001?
Cameron Mooney(GC)
Chad Cornes(PP)
Campbell Brown(HH)
Chris Judd(WC)
Ray Hall(RT)
Stephen Milne(SS)
Leigh Harding(Kang)

pass on carlton

this is just something to pipe dream about, but the swans are far from a complete list and id love to see some of these guys play for the red and white

Charlie
12th February 2003, 06:56 PM
Good luck! McLeod, Pavlich, Brown, Michael, Lucas and Judd. Uhh.... fat chance!

As you said, it's a pipe dream. To get a champion, you either give up a champion, draft them as an 18 year old, or hope they somehow fall into your lap the way Lockett did.

Dpw
12th February 2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Charlie
Good luck! McLeod, Pavlich, Brown, Michael, Lucas and Judd. Uhh.... fat chance!

As you said, it's a pipe dream. To get a champion, you either give up a champion, draft them as an 18 year old, or hope they somehow fall into your lap the way Lockett did.

Could'nt agree more, the afl will most likely ditch our allowance anyway.

plus the season hasn't started yet only then will we get and idea on what we need.

omnipotent
12th February 2003, 07:34 PM
Pavlich has just re-signed with the Dockers and Judd only wants to go back to Melbourne. Melbourne clubs will target him. Sydney will only attract people for mercenary reasons as most who leave their clubs go back to native territory. Mal Michael wants to return to live in Melbourne after his career has finished a friend of his told me.

desredandwhite
12th February 2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by omnipotent
Sydney will only attract people for mercenary reasons as most who leave their clubs go back to native territory.

Tony Lockett - Still living in NSW. Brett Allison - still has a role with the club. Paul Roos - Well, definitely still has a role with the club! I guess we'll wait and see what happens with Ball, Williams, Maxfield, Hall etc.

Plenty of reasons for players to leave former clubs other than going home.

Charlie
12th February 2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by omnipotent
Pavlich has just re-signed with the Dockers and Judd only wants to go back to Melbourne. Melbourne clubs will target him. Sydney will only attract people for mercenary reasons as most who leave their clubs go back to native territory. Mal Michael wants to return to live in Melbourne after his career has finished a friend of his told me.

Interesting... considering he went to Brisbane so he could return HOME. His entire family lives there.

Reggi
12th February 2003, 08:19 PM
Go for the best young kid available in the draft

Dpw
12th February 2003, 09:09 PM
Interesting... considering he went to Brisbane so he could return HOME. His entire family lives there.

Charlie, Michael never wanted to be traded back home infact he has a good friendship with Buckley as Buckley did a lot for him privately when he first arrived.

I know this getting away from the thread but I thought I would clear that up.

penga
12th February 2003, 11:25 PM
i quite didnt get the response i was after but anyway...

all i was after was who would you like to see running around in red and white that makes you think like robert walls "GEE, hes a good kid..."

me - travis johnstone, but thats my humble opinion

liz
13th February 2003, 12:02 AM
Interesting question.

I agree with the suggestions that the very best players are probably not worth thinking about, although we've had a reasonable success attracting some very good mature players- and while money may have been a factor (esp with Maxfield?) I don't think it completely explains Schwass, Roos, Plugger, Hall, Williams.

I'd love to see Hayes in the R&W. He's a classy, tallish midfielder and the NSW connection makes him a realistic target (although he doesn't seem to be another ND, desparate to return).

Charlie
13th February 2003, 07:51 AM
Hayes.... YES YES YES!

Dpw, I have no doubt that Mal Michael has some great friends at Collingwood. In the same respect, I've no doubt that Peter Bell has lots of friends at North, and that Daniel Chick has lots of friends at Hawthorn. Doesn't mean they were necessarily content in Melbourne, and it doesn't mean Michael was either.

He DID want to go home.

robbieando
13th February 2003, 09:57 AM
Hayes is one I would give both my arms and legs to get up here. If we had a really bad year and ended up with 2 first round picks why not offer St Kilda one for Hayes, might work.

Another that I would like to see is Brent Staker who was drafted at WCE. I like the look of him as a FB.

Dpw
13th February 2003, 09:59 AM
Hayes.... YES YES YES!

Dpw, I have no doubt that Mal Michael has some great friends at Collingwood. In the same respect, I've no doubt that Peter Bell has lots of friends at North, and that Daniel Chick has lots of friends at Hawthorn. Doesn't mean they were necessarily content in Melbourne, and it doesn't mean Michael was either.

He DID want to go home.

I'll take Hayes for sure. And perhaps Mcviegh

NO he did not(But do we really care).

Grant
13th February 2003, 08:21 PM
Yep,i am definately in the 'Go For Hayes Camp'. I have wanted him up in sydney for many years now.He would be well worth throwing a J Bolton as bait to StKilda for him.They might fall for it.;)

liz
13th February 2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Grant
Yep,i am definately in the 'Go For Hayes Camp'. I have wanted him up in sydney for many years now.He would be well worth throwing a J Bolton as bait to StKilda for him.They might fall for it.;)

Hayes was named as a serious contender for the St Kilda captaincy. Unfortunately I think they realise how good he is. And throwing draft picks in their direction is probably not going to work - they already have more young, top 10 draft pick players than any other club could dream of.

Our only realistic chances of getting Hayes would be if

a) he wants to come "home" (and unfortunately he seems settled in Melbourne at the moment, from reports); or

b) St Kilda look to be on the ropes financially; or

c) they suffer serious salary cap problems in a year or few if all their good youngsters turn into top line players.

Ajn
13th February 2003, 08:45 PM
Leave this discussion until we are dead, the current crop will do just nicely , thanks!